Andrew Luck...anyone else concerned about this

i'd be more worried about the fact that luck has played a whopping 1.5 seasons in college against the san jose states of the world, but yet he's the next coming of joe montana on these boards.

There seems to be 3-4 "franchise" OBs every draft. Every one a future hall of famer.

PTR

I'm more concerned with Ryan Fitzpatrick's inaccuracy and propensity for throwing wild passes and/or interceptions. Luck has so much better touch on his throws, in my observations, and has the arm strength that Fitzpatrick wishes he had. Nothing against Fitz who's would be fine as a backup, but I'll take Luck everyday regardless. Could it be that their opponent last night was playing a T2 scheme forcing him to throw the short pass and in which Luck completed 33 passes for 292 yards? I'm merely asking.

i'd be more worried about the fact that luck has played a whopping 1.5 seasons in college against the san jose states of the world, but yet he's the next coming of joe montana on these boards.

its not just these boards, thats all they talk about on local radio and sports radio, I have heard him being compared to Peyton Manning.

But hey, drafting 1st overall always leads to success!

There seems to be 3-4 "franchise" OBs every draft. Every one a future hall of famer.

PTR

inDEED.

I'm more concerned with Ryan Fitzpatrick's inaccuracy and propensity for throwing wild passes and/or interceptions. Luck has so much better touch on his throws, in my observations, and has the arm strength that Fitzpatrick wishes he had. Nothing against Fitz who's would be fine as a backup, but I'll take Luck everyday regardless. Could it be that their opponent last night was playing a T2 scheme forcing him to throw the short pass and in which Luck completed 33 passes for 292 yards? I'm merely asking.

LOL. Luck has so much better touch on his throws when he has 9 seconds to throw the ball. Yes, lets compare an NFL QB going up against NFL defenses to Luck going up against Sacramento State and that stout Arizona defense. :thumbdown:

Luck could've thrown for 600yds and 6tds against the Ravens too...heck, Luck would have the bills at 8-1 right now.

its not just these boards, thats all they talk about on local radio and sports radio, I have heard him being compared to Peyton Manning.

But hey, drafting 1st overall always leads to success!

seriously, it really is a crap shoot when you look at it.

Year Team Player Pick No.

2007 OAK J. Russell 1 BUST

2005 SFO Alex D. Smith 1 BUST

2004 NYG Eli Manning 1

2004 SDG Philip Rivers 4

2004 PIT Ben Roethlisberger 11

2003 CIN Carson Palmer 1 (partial bust)

2003 JAC Byron Leftwich 7 BUST

2002 HOU David Carr 1 Y BUST

2002 DET Joey Harrington 3 BUST

2001 ATL Michael Vick 1

1999 CLE Tim Couch 1 BUST

1999 PHI Donovan McNabb 2

1999 CIN Akili Smith 3 BUST

1999 MIN Daunte Culpepper 11

1999 CHI Cade McNown 12 BUST

1998 IND Peyton Manning 1

1998 SDG Ryan Leaf 2 BUST

1995 TEN Steve McNair 3

1995 CAR Kerry Collins 5 (partial bust)

Edited by bobobonators

I've been trying to make an effort to see this guy whenever possible and my only concern is his arm strength. He seems like a steve young type, except his long ball isn't as pretty. If we draft him, I hope we hire whoever was Tom Brady's strength coach coming out of Michigan. Brady's arm was noodle-like when he first came out, from what I've heard....so if we can work with Luck, I think he'll be a solid QB (just based on what I've seen). My preference is still to go with a stud front-7 player for our defense (or two), but I wouldn't be upset if we picked Luck.

I've been trying to make an effort to see this guy whenever possible and my only concern is his arm strength. He seems like a steve young type, except his long ball isn't as pretty. If we draft him, I hope we hire whoever was Tom Brady's strength coach coming out of Michigan. Brady's arm was noodle-like when he first came out, from what I've heard....so if we can work with Luck, I think he'll be a solid QB (just based on what I've seen). My preference is still to go with a stud front-7 player for our defense (or two), but I wouldn't be upset if we picked Luck.

I believe his strength coach was Dr. HGH. Tedy Bruschi introduced him to Tom.

PTR

i'd be happy to get Luck if that's who our coaching staff and FO is 100% behind. Luck is without a doubt a talented QB, but I personally have several concerns, with my principal concern being his limited collegiate career.

It was. I wonder how it improved... ;)

My concern will be if Luck is projected as the 1st overall pick and Harbaugh leaves, and he decides to return to school to finish his degree. It would make me question his desire to play football. Now while I admire his quest for a degree, I want the QB of the Bills to eat, sleep, and breathe football. Is Luck that guy?

I believe his strength coach was Dr. HGH. Tedy Bruschi introduced him to Tom.

PTR

Well....let's hope the doctor is IN then :devil:

It was. I wonder how it improved... ;)

My concern will be if Luck is projected as the 1st overall pick and Harbaugh leaves, and he decides to return to school to finish his degree. It would make me question his desire to play football. Now while I admire his quest for a degree, I want the QB of the Bills to eat, sleep, and breathe football. Is Luck that guy?

I've never understood the stay in school vs become a millionaire dilemma. You can finish your degree anytime. Most people never get the opportunity to become an instant multi-millionaire. If you have that chance, you take it. Beyond that, I'm with you 100% about the commitment thing. We need someone who has a Michael vick-like work ethic. Wait, what? :unsure: Well, the 2010 version of Vick, anyway :)

Its not just last nights game I think he looks to throw short the majority of the time...and as I said he is better then Trent Edwards (by a lot)

I am trying to picture what he is going to look like as an NFL QB....is he going to look to throw short first? Is he going to spread the field to open up the running game?

2004 NYG Eli Manning 1

2004 SDG Philip Rivers 4

2001 ATL Michael Vick 1

1995 TEN Steve McNair 3

Is it though?

Could be a bit of Chicken and Egg but the football decision makers in OAK, SF, JAC, DET, HOU haven't been exactly praised for thier smart personal decision making. I wonder if there is a connection to bad FOs and draft pick busts?

I agree about arm strength and with the OP about dumping off.

I have watched about half of Luck's games. I DVR Stanford and Arkansas; I'm going to have to add Auburn.

I posted a few weeks back an assessment of one of the games where I brought up both of these concerns and you would have thought I strangled some of the responders mothers by their responses.

Bills fans have turned Luck into something he can never be.

Don't get me wrong the kid has a ton of potential but he is not as polished as draftniks will make him out to be.

He is only 3/4 of the way baked. The good news is I think he knows it too, he needs another year in college to be fully done. He may be self aware enough to know that and ignore the hype that will bring him to Bustville.

Now I do think he may be the QB in this potential draft class with the most potential but when I watch him play I don't see an NFL ready QB, I see a great potential that needs some more coaching.

(Luck protectors do your worst.)

Much like Trent Edwards?

And yes I know Luck is better then Edwards.....just noticed he has a tendency to dump off A LOT.....

just go away.really i dont even know what to say to you except your freaking lost. thats what good QB's do if its not there they dump it off and take what they can get.

get real man. if this guy ever managed to get on the bills we would not need to worry about our QQB position for over a decade.

the kid is the best player @ the QB position to come out since rivers and peyton and you think he dumps it off to much really man get a life.

comparing him to edwards is like comparing manning to fitz and again he is not a California guy he is a Texas boy you know football country!!!!!!!!!!!!!

just go away.really i dont even know what to say to you except your freaking lost. thats what good QB's do if its not there they dump it off and take what they can get.

get real man. if this guy ever managed to get on the bills we would not need to worry about our QQB position for over a decade.

the kid is the best player @ the QB position to come out since rivers and peyton and you think he dumps it off to much really man get a life.

comparing him to edwards is like comparing manning to fitz and again he is not a California guy he is a Texas boy you know football country!!!!!!!!!!!!!

See this is the kind of responses you get.

"Andrew Luck is the greatest QB in NFL history, and grass is green, both equally true facts. What did they teach you on elementry school that you don't know that?"

"How do you know?"

"Well some guy told me on the radio, and my cousin told me, and some guy on ESPN had him ranked high."

Edited by Levitre + Wang = Wood

2004 NYG Eli Manning 1

2004 SDG Philip Rivers 4

2001 ATL Michael Vick 1

1995 TEN Steve McNair 3

I don't think you can label Palmer and Collins partial busts while giving Culpepper a pass ... Palmer has not been the same since his knee injury but I would take his career path out of our next QB way before Culpepper. But really the bad knee injury totally derailed Culpepper too, so ... maybe they are the same. Collins had his issues that were not injury-related but his career has also been similar to Culpepper's ... in fact has more playoff starts and took an expansion team to the conference title game ... don't get me wrong, if you told me our next QB was the next Collins I would be disappointed, just sayin' ... if Palmer and Collins are busts, so is Culpepper.

Is it though?

Could be a bit of Chicken and Egg but the football decision makers in OAK, SF, JAC, DET, HOU haven't been exactly praised for thier smart personal decision making. I wonder if there is a connection to bad FOs and draft pick busts?

This is also a good point and scares the crap out of me since our decrepit owner who thinks he knows football will surely be putting is two cents in. And yes, I know he's putting MILLIONS in and some will argue he should have a say but ... I think history has proven that his franchise has been at its best when he stayed out of the way.

OMG we don't even know how the Bills rank this guy. Lets wait till this offseason before we can really speculate as to what's gonna happen. The Bills had a chance last offseason to draft "A Big Time QB" Obviously we didn't because we knew that they all sucked where we ended up drafting. Tebow, Clausen, McCoy... The draft is depending where we end up and who the best available player is there. If it's a QB the Bills view as the second coming of Tom Brady or whatever, then I'm sure we'll make the attempt to draft, but remember Buddy's Philosophy. We draft the best player available depending on where we draft. Who knows if we'll win again or not. I'm still sticking to my 3-13 prediction. So not sure where that will put us. So this topic is basically moot until after this season. I understand the hype around it and everything. So much can happen between now and next years draft in April. What if Luck gets hurt or has a career ending injury? Anything can happen...

My main concern with Luck is all the bad puns reporters will dish out.

Yep, and they'll act as if they're the first ones to ever think of those puns, even though the guy has probably been hearing them since he was in grade school.

I agree about arm strength and with the OP about dumping off.

I have watched about half of Luck's games. I DVR Stanford and Arkansas; I'm going to have to add Auburn.

I posted a few weeks back an assessment of one of the games where I brought up both of these concerns and you would have thought I strangled some of the responders mothers by their responses.

Bills fans have turned Luck into something he can never be.

Don't get me wrong the kid has a ton of potential but he is not as polished as draftniks will make him out to be.

He is only 3/4 of the way baked. The good news is I think he knows it too, he needs another year in college to be fully done. He may be self aware enough to know that and ignore the hype that will bring him to Bustville.

Now I do think he may be the QB in this potential draft class with the most potential but when I watch him play I don't see an NFL ready QB, I see a great potential that needs some more coaching.

(Luck protectors do your worst.)

Sometimes when I hear people I respect say things, they tend to stick in my brain. In this case, I have Bill Parcells in my brain talking about how he only drafts 4-year starters in college (or soemthing like that), or he prefers to go with an established veteran QB. I think the "3/4 baked" thing is valid for sure, and it does add one more small check mark to the "con" category.

If you really want to watch him yourself, go to espn3.com They have all the games there to watch going back a month or so.

I have watched a lot of Luck, maybe more than anyone else who has posted in this thread so far dating back to last year.

I love watching Stanford bc of Harbaughs style. A lot of his plays are designed short passes on bootlegs or roll outs or play action. Its not a check down when its the 1st read and the way the play is designed. Other than that he checks down when he should be checking down, but goes deep a lot - he threw a pick late to lose vrs Oregon by forcing down field into triple coverage - and pass he really shouldn't have thrown. He is not at all gun shy. Think about it, his WRs aren't exactly gonna get open vrs the athletes that the Oregon's and USC's have, so it makes sense that he has to check down often.

He also has very good touch. I think its confused for lack of arm strength a lot. Not every ball is supposed to be shot like a cannon like Mallet does. But when he needs to rifle one in, he can. A 4 yard flat pass to the sideline vrs Arizona comes to mind. Throwing it about 35-40 yards from the wide hash to the sideline, it was a frozen rope and into a window the size of a basketball hoop.

Also - who is hating on their competition? The Pac 10 is a very good conference to play against. And with their record (they only lost close the #1 Oregon BTW) they should play a Powerhouse in their bowl game, which will be a good test everyone can see.

The thing that really sets him apart is the mental aspect which everyone seems to overlook. Harbaugh gives Luck a lot of responsibility- which is where the Peyton Manning comparisons come in. He reads defenses amazingly and gets them in the right play and protections. He processes everything quickly, which a lot of these college guys cant do. Most college QBS who people talk about but never get drafted high, they wait to see someone open and throw him the ball. NFL QBs who are still in college throw the ball bc they know the WR will be open and where he is going to be. Its that anticipation that Luck has that others dont. One pass he made into double coverage, cant remember which game, but he threw to the left of the defender when the WR was on the right witha a safety overtop. The WR cut to his left, got inside the defender, and the ball hit him right between the #s. If you saw Bradys 1st TD pass to Gronkowski last night - it was a lot like that. That Brady pass is one only the best NFL QBs can complete - so seeing Luck do it in college is a great indicator. His accuracy is the best in college football this year.

I have watched a whole lot of Luck and he impressed me every time. He really reminds me of Matt Ryan when he was at BC. They do the same things with their over matched teams. FWIW I could just tell Matt Ryan was going to be great. I could just tell J Russell wasn't worth drafting. I can just tell Luck is going to be a top QB in this league. But dont take it from me if you dont want to, go to espn3.com and watch for your self. They have all the games there to watch going back a month or so.

Edited by Thoner7

If you really want to watch him yourself, go to espn3.com They have all the games there to watch going back a month or so.

I have watched a lot of Luck, maybe more than anyone else who has posted in this thread so far dating back to last year.

I love watching Stanford bc of Harbaughs style. A lot of his plays are designed short passes on bootlegs or roll outs or play action. Its not a check down when its the 1st read and the way the play is designed. Other than that he checks down when he should be checking down, but goes deep a lot - he threw a pick late to lose vrs Oregon by forcing down field into triple coverage - and pass he really shouldn't have thrown. He is not at all gun shy. Think about it, his WRs aren't exactly gonna get open vrs the athletes that the Oregon's and USC's have, so it makes sense that he has to check down often.

He also has very good touch. I think its confused for lack of arm strength a lot. Not every ball is supposed to be shot like a cannon like Mallet does. But when he needs to rifle one in, he can. A 4 yard flat pass to the sideline vrs Arizona comes to mind. Throwing it about 35-40 yards from the wide hash to the sideline, it was a frozen rope and into a window the size of a basketball hoop.

Also - who is hating on their competition? The Pac 10 is a very good conference to play against. And with their record (they only lost close the #1 Oregon BTW) they should play a Powerhouse in their bowl game, which will be a good test everyone can see.

The thing that really sets him apart is the mental aspect which everyone seems to overlook. Harbaugh gives Luck a lot of responsibility- which is where the Peyton Manning comparisons come in. He reads defenses amazingly and gets them in the right play and protections. He processes everything quickly, which a lot of these college guys cant do. Most college QBS who people talk about but never get drafted high, they wait to see someone open and throw him the ball. NFL QBs who are still in college throw the ball bc they know the WR will be open and where he is going to be. Its that anticipation that Luck has that others dont. One pass he made into double coverage, cant remember which game, but he threw to the left of the defender when the WR was on the right witha a safety overtop. The WR cut to his left, got inside the defender, and the ball hit him right between the #s. If you saw Bradys 1st TD pass to Gronkowski last night - it was a lot like that. That Brady pass is one only the best NFL QBs can complete - so seeing Luck do it in college is a great indicator. His accuracy is the best in college football this year.

I have watched a whole lot of Luck and he impressed me every time. He really reminds me of Matt Ryan when he was at BC. They do the same things with their over matched teams. FWIW I could just tell Matt Ryan was going to be great. I could just tell J Russell wasn't worth drafting. I can just tell Luck is going to be a top QB in this league. But dont take it from me if you dont want to, go to espn3.com and watch for your self. They have all the games there to watch going back a month or so.

See it's the hysterically funny 'Luck-love' posts like this one that just get me rolling on the floor :lol:

Dude - guy's played college ball for a season and a half.

I don't care if you've watched every single game he's played in the last season and a half - neither you nor anyone else has watched 'a whole lot of Luck' because there hasn't been 'a whole lot of Luck' for anyone to have watched :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

Even if someone had seen every single one of his H.S games (now that would be really weird), no one has seen enough of this kid - in the one full season of college football he's played in his career so far - to warrant the unmitigated, almost sick desire to draft a player the extent of whose talent (and faults) is truly unknown at this point.

See it's the hysterically funny 'Luck-love' posts like this one that just get me rolling on the floor :lol:

Dude - guy's played college ball for a season and a half.

I don't care if you've watched every single game he's played in the last season and a half - neither you nor anyone else has watched 'a whole lot of Luck' because there hasn't been 'a whole lot of Luck' for anyone to have watched :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

Even if someone had seen every single one of his H.S games (now that would be really weird), no one has seen enough of this kid - in the one full season of college football he's played in his career so far - to warrant the unmitigated, almost sick desire to draft a player the extent of whose talent (and faults) is truly unknown at this point.

amazingly well said. the sad part is that if we were ever to draft Luck, I guarantee you that these guys screaming at the top of their lungs to draft luck now will be screaming just as loudly to see what the Brohm's of the world can do after luck goes 10-20 for 120yds and 3picks in consecutive games. i guarantee it.

Edited by bobobonators

Way to be a total D Bag about it. Dont bother making intelligent posts just be a big internet tough guy. Maybe you are just mad that my post insulted your lover boy Graham Harrell? Has he been cut from that practice squad yet? At least he still isnt in Canada. Maybe you didnt see enough of his games to make an accurate assessment :rolleyes:

Besides, how many games do you want a normal fan to watch? I figure I have seen 10 of his games this year and last. Thats is a lot, maybe not for an NFL Gm, but for a dude who just likes to watch good football it sure is. In fact, its more games than I ever saw of Matt Ryan, and about as many games youve seen of Fitz, yet I bet you must be sold on him huh?

Sanchez went top 5 after playing LESS than Luck has to date. Scouts saw enough of him, and I have seen enough of Luck. He is a two year starter and hasnt missed a game. Not every QB starts for 4 years. I bet Most QBs dont start 2 full years.

But how many games does he have to dominate before I can say I really like him as a QB prospect? Seriously give me a # and I wont post about him until I watch enough games that satisfies you...

Edited by Thoner7

Way to be a total D Bag about it. Dont bother making intelligent posts just be a big internet tough guy. Maybe you are just mad that my post insulted your lover boy Graham Harrell? Has he been cut from that practice squad yet? At least he still isnt in Canada. Maybe you didnt see enough of his games to make an accurate assessment :rolleyes:

Wow...act like a 2-year-old much??? :w00t:

My lover-boy Graham Harrell??? Sounds like maybe I insulted your dream-boat, no? :D

BTW - Harrell played a full 4 seasons, after his red-shirt season.

Besides, how many games do you want a normal fan to watch? I figure I have seen 10 of his games this year and last. Thats is a lot, maybe not for an NFL Gm, but for a dude who just likes to watch good football it sure is. In fact, its more games than I ever saw of Matt Ryan, and about as many games youve seen of Fitz, yet I bet you must be sold on him huh?

Sanchez went top 5 after playing LESS than Luck has to date. Scouts saw enough of him, and I have seen enough of Luck. He is a two year starter and hasnt missed a game. Not every QB starts for 4 years. I bet Most QBs dont start 2 full years.

But how many games does he have to dominate before I can say I really like him as a QB prospect? Seriously give me a # and I wont post about him until I watch enough games that satisfies you...

You can go right ahead and say how much you really like him as a QB prospect after ONE game, if you like - so long as no one lets you anywhere near the Bills War Room on draft day :lol:

(BTW - Andy - 5086 yards, 35 TDs : Harrell - 15,793 yards, 134 TDs)

Harrell

Luck

Edited by The Senator

You can go right ahead and say how much you really like him as a QB prospect after ONE game, if you like - so long as no one lets you anywhere near the Bills War Room on draft day :lol:

Are you suggesting that Ryan Mallett has substantially more playing experience than Andrew Luck? His 141 passing attempts way back when in 2007 with Michigan were not further examples of his NFL potential and hardly add to his resume.

Mallett may turn out to be a better QB than Luck, but this particular argument is beyond embarrassing. The fact that your crusading opinions on Mallett/Luck parrot verbatim those of Mike Leach says it all--- in fact, your man crushes on Leach and Harrell say a lot in regards to the validity of your opinions.

And yes, you think Luck likely won't declare in 2011. We all heard you the first 1,000 times.

Are you suggesting that Ryan Mallett has substantially more playing experience than Andrew Luck? His 141 passing attempts way back when in 2007 with Michigan were not further examples of his NFL potential and hardly add to his resume.

Mallett may turn out to be a better QB than Luck, but this particular argument is beyond embarrassing. The fact that your crusading opinions on Mallett/Luck parrot verbatim those of Mike Leach says it all--- in fact, your man crushes on Leach and Harrell say a lot in regards to the validity of your opinions.

Hmmm...this is really strange...I don't recall seeing Mallett's (or Leach's) name anywhere in my post... :unsure:

And yes, you think Luck likely won't declare in 2011. We all heard you the first 1,000 times.

Only 1,000 times??? Funny, in the surely over 1000 Luck-loving threads, I think I've heard how God-like he is from you clowns over 1,000,000 times!!!! :doh:

(And it's getting really, really old.)

Works both ways, Punchie - now go catch your school bus.

Wow...act like a 2-year-old much??? :w00t:

My lover-boy Graham Harrell??? Sounds like maybe I insulted your dream-boat, no? :D

BTW - Harrell played a full 4 seasons, after his red-shirt season.

WYou can go right ahead and say how much you really like him as a QB prospect after ONE game, if you like - so long as no one lets you anywhere near the Bills War Room on draft day :lol:

(BTW - Andy - 5086 yards, 35 TDs : Harrell - 15,793 yards, 134 TDs)

Harrell

Luck

Way to make my arguement for me. Harrel started 4 years in college and still couldnt get drafted or make an NFL roster as a rookie. There isnt some magical minimum threshold that is required to make a QB good. Would you rather have Harrell and his 4 years of starting experience or Sanchez and his year and a half? Its how the guy plays the game that made him good, and there is a reason Harrel cannot play in teh NFL. You cant seem to see either of those things.

Way to make my arguement for me. Harrel started 4 years in college and still couldnt get drafted or make an NFL roster as a rookie. There isnt some magical minimum threshold that is required to make a QB good. Would you rather have Harrell and his 4 years of starting experience or Sanchez and his year and a half? Its how the guy plays the game that made him good, and there is a reason Harrel cannot play in teh NFL. You cant seem to see either of those things.

Quite the opposite, my friend - you can't seem (or you simply refuse) to see or grasp the point that folks had 4 full seasons to judge whether or not to draft Harrell, as opposed to a season and a half to judge Luck.

Way to stick your foot in your mouth. :lol:

BTW, I'd still think I might rather have Harrell than #24-ranked Mark Sanchez and his 80.5 QB rating - we're still gonna see great things from Harrell, eventually. (Or do you think Green Bay's coaches don't know how to judge QB talent?)

Edited by The Senator

Hmmm...this is really strange...I don't recall seeing Mallett's (or Leach's) name anywhere in my post... :unsure:

Is it necessary for you to post that information every single time or is it possible for us to, like, you know... remember stuff? It's not exactly hard to deduce why you hold such an opinion considering your ballwashing for Leach (which I'm sure you realize invalidates all of your football opinions)--- you participated in an earlier thread where a link quoted that Leach "hadn't seen enough" of Luck and was sure Mallett was the best of the bunch. Why anyone would take you seriously is beyond me.

Only 1,000 times??? Funny, in the surely over 1000 Luck-loving threads, I think I've heard how God-like he is from you clowns over 1,000,000 times!!!! :doh:

Not from me you haven't, and your crusade is embarrassing. No other poster is trolling threads (or starting new ones) the way you have been to argue about Luck/Mallett. No one is seeking you out to "prove you wrong". If there's a clown in the TSW circus it's The Senator and his copious use of smileys, bold/italics. :wallbash:

It makes your posts neither more interesting nor does it disguise the flaws in your ****ty football logic.

:oops:

Your arguments don't even hold water. It's laughable that Luck has enough experience to be drafted in the NFL? But Mallett's brief playing time in 2007 at Michigan (where he struggled mightily) proves he's a stud worthy of the 1st pick. Yeah, nice bull **** phantom argument.