Can Fitzpatrick Overcome His Choking?

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We go from Captain Check Down to Captain Choke Down

Fans like you and NaPolian who consider Fitzpatrick a choker are feeble-minded.

You watch but obviously can't comprehend a missed extra point, the 1 interception in 8 games by our defense, the fumble in overtime in Baltimore, the lack of a running game that forces a coach to call passing plays in the 4th quarter when running the clock would be best. I pity you.

I searched high and low to include it in my post. I'm going strictly from memory, homey.

I remembered I had TIVOed the game. I went back and watched and the kick was LOW. Even if it hadn't been blocked it may not have cleared the cross bar. This one's all on Lindell. Two games choking in a row. And we blame Fitz only?

reddogblitz is just a QB apologist. He'll never admit anything is Fitzpatrick's fault, and always try to blame it on someone else. I mean, he thought Trent Edwards was good, and that he never just got a fair chance!

You've got me confused with the other dog. dog14787 was the big Trent fan. Not me. If you search you can find posts from me all the way to mini camp saying Fitz should be the guy.

I'm willing to admit that Fitz has made some unfortunate INTs in the 2nd half of games. But, on this team with so many holes (DEFENSE) and other guys choking too like Shawn Nelson and the DBs not getting picks in their hands and Rian Lindell (2 chokes in 2 weeks), I just think it's over simplification to say it's Fitz' fault for the losses. Give him a team with a better Oline and some DEFENSE and we'd be alright.

With him performing as he is with this team and compared to what other men have done under center, I'm willing to give him more time before calling him a bust. He's done way more good than bad. He did bring us back from 10 down in Q4 against Ravens and was moving the ball in OT until the Nelson fumble and had us in makable FG range for the win against KC. I think this choke thing (say it long enough and loud enough and it becomes reality to many) is being played way out of proportion, that's all.

Edited by reddogblitz

Extra point was cleanly blocked. The notion that a blocked extra point is always the kickers fault is laughable. Our coverage team fell asleep at the wheel and didn't expect the other team to actually try for the block - most times people just go through the motions on extra points.

The error that many people are making in this thread is assuming that people who acknowledge Fitzpatrick's limitations think he is the ONLY reason the Bills are losing.

To clarify, when Ryan has "Gone on the Fritz" late in close games this season, he becomes one of many contributors to the losses. It is a team game, and it takes a full team effort to lose every single week.

When I say that Fitzpatrick has a nasty tendency to make a key mistake in the clutch, I'm not absolving our terrible defense. I'm only saying that he has a nasty tendency to make a key mistake in the clutch, and should be ultimately replaced by a better player.

Pretty much all of the defense also needs to be replaced by players of a higher caliber. Just turns out the quarterback is the most important position in the history of organized team sports, so I'd just assume lock that up first.

Edited by akm0404

Extra point was cleanly blocked. The notion that a blocked extra point is always the kickers fault is laughable.

The notion that a blocked extra point is NEVER the kickers fault is laughable.

This kick was low. Watch the highlight if you can. If not, you'll just have to trust me. I rewatched it a few minutes ago. If it weren't blocked it may not have cleared cross bar. The defender hit it about 9 feet off the ground. Kicker has to get it up over the line.

Extra point was cleanly blocked. The notion that a blocked extra point is always the kickers fault is laughable. Our coverage team fell asleep at the wheel and didn't expect the other team to actually try for the block - most times people just go through the motions on extra points.

The error that many people are making in this thread is assuming that people who acknowledge Fitzpatrick's limitations think he is the ONLY reason the Bills are losing.

To clarify, when Ryan has "Gone on the Fritz" late in close games this season, he becomes one of many contributors to the losses. It is a team game, and it takes a full team effort to lose every single week.

When I say that Fitzpatrick has a nasty tendency to make a key mistake in the clutch, I'm not absolving our terrible defense. I'm only saying that he has a nasty tendency to make a key mistake in the clutch, and should be ultimately replaced by a better player.

Pretty much all of the defense also needs to be replaced by players of a higher caliber. Just turns out the quarterback is the most important position in the history of organized team sports, so I'd just assume lock that up first.

Way easier said than done. And the million dollar question is, by whom? Luck? Mallett? Would they have succeeded where Fitz failed?

The notion that a blocked extra point is NEVER the kickers fault is laughable.

This kick was low. Watch the highlight if you can. If not, you'll just have to trust me. I rewatched it a few minutes ago. If it weren't blocked it may not have cleared cross bar. The defender hit it about 9 feet off the ground. Kicker has to get it up over the line.

There's no way it wouldn't have cleared the crossbar. Crossbar height is 10 feet, like you said the defender hit it about 9 feet off the ground. He was only 5 yards in front of Lindell when he blocked it. Do you really think it wouldn't have raised another foot in 15 yards? If the line doesn't get blown up, that kick is good every time. I'm a big Fitz supporter and disagree with the assertion that he's a choker, but putting that block on Lindell is ridiculous.

Edited by Chandemonium

Fitz is 27 or 28 years old. Tony Romo is 31. Playing QB at this level is one of the hardest jobs in all of pro sport. Some take to it quickly, some only over time. Most never make it. I am pretty sure I see noticeable improvement in Fitz's play over last year. He still makes errors in execution (not so much mental mistakes)but he makes fewer of them and he does things not infrequently, like thread the needle with pace on the ball, that I have not seen him do except occasionally before. I think there is a chance that we have not yet seen the best of Fitz and I am keen to see what Gailey and Cortez can do with him in the remaining games.

You've got me confused with the other dog. dog14787 was the big Trent fan

He actually tucked his tail between his legs and left TBD. The one who just rooted for the Bills and all their players folded his tent, scrubbed his membership and followed Trent to the Jacksonville boards.

Edited by ConradDobler

Fitz is 27 or 28 years old. Tony Romo is 31. Playing QB at this level is one of the hardest jobs in all of pro sport. Some take to it quickly, some only over time. Most never make it. I am pretty sure I see noticeable improvement in Fitz's play over last year. He still makes errors in execution (not so much mental mistakes)but he makes fewer of them and he does things not infrequently, like thread the needle with pace on the ball, that I have not seen him do except occasionally before. I think there is a chance that we have not yet seen the best of Fitz and I am keen to see what Gailey and Cortez can do with him in the remaining games.

great post.

The kick would have cleared the cross bar if not blocked.

BUT

It shouldn't have been 9 feet off the ground at the line of scrimmage on an extra point, it should have been much higher in the air.

It's mostly Lindell's fault.. but the line also !@#$ed up.

er...

I mean, that extra point is Fitzpatrick's fault.

He actually tucked his tail between his legs and left TBD. The one who just rooted for the Bills and all their players folded his tent, scrubbed his membership and followed Trent to the Jacksonville boards.

He still posts as dog14787 at The Aud Club on Sabrespace.com, if anyone wants to check down--- I mean, check in with him and see how Trent's balls are doing.

0:)

If Luck was QB we would have made that extra point. Our defense would force 3 and outs and create turnovers. Chris Kelsey would suddenly become a pro bowl LB'er. Luck is the miracle this team needs. If you don't believe this then well then you are retarded and not a Bills fan.

</sarcasm>

If Luck was QB we would have made that extra point. Our defense would force 3 and outs and create turnovers. Chris Kelsey would suddenly become a pro bowl LB'er. Luck is the miracle this team needs. If you don't believe this then well then you are retarded and not a Bills fan.

</sarcasm>

Don't be scared to have an elite quarterback on the team, even if it means the spotlight of scrutiny will shine on Buffalo. It'll be fun. I promise :)

I'm obviously talking about how he usually throws a costly interception with the game on the line.

You can try to use some weird twist logic and skew the argument, but that doesn't change the fact that when it matters most he performs at his worst.

Thank God some of you weren't around when Jim Kelly played in 1986 and 1987, the original gunslinger, or else you would have said he was a choker as well. Luckily there are some who understand that football is a team game, and that just because someone is a starting quarterback doesn't mean every loss is their fault.