Can Fitzpatrick Overcome His Choking?

The CBA expires before the draft. If you believe there will be no lockout/strike, then you believe there will be a new CBA. The new CBA will have a rookie cap. It will affect signings in 2011.

There's a good possibility of a lockout/strike.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then why would Luck come out this year?

Again because his stock will never be higher and he'll make a ton more money. And if Harbaugh leaves, he'll have a new system and a higher likelihood of the team not doing as well, which may hurt him. Moreover the deadline for juniors declaring for the draft is mid-January and it's highly unlikely the CBA is signed by then.

If the running game was any good AT ALL, then Fitz wouldn't have to run the whole offense himself and throw the ball 50 times. If the run game was any good then it would open up big plays down the field. But when every play is throw, throw,throw,then who can blame Fitz for forcing a ball into tight areas,when the D is playing for the bomb.

Fitz has been playing good and if he had any help at all, we would be winning and people wouldn't be talking about him choking. I guess he needs to go out and kick field goals also,or even take the ball and run it up the middle and be our RB as well.

I have never been a huge Fitz fan, but he has won me over. Rob Johnson could make all the throws. So could JP and Edwards for that matter. The difference is: Ryan Fitzpatrick knows how to read a defense and knows where the best place to put the football. Yeah, he's missed a few, but he's a lot better than I ever thought he would be and I give him a legit chance of being the Bills QB over the next 3 years.

I don't think the pressure or the situation caused him to short arm anything. So I don't think he choked. I think he'll learn from each pick and get better. He's certainly going to be better next year than anyone they draft.

It seems pretty clear at this point that Fitzpatrick is capable of playing well for periods of time, but when the game is on the line he has a tendency to make costly mistakes that lose football games.

It's a mental barrier. Some people are clutch, some aren't - that's life.

Do you think this is something he can overcome, or do you think it will plague him throughout the rest of his career?

NO. He's been in the League a while now.

Also: He's a career 59 % completion rate. I do like the guy and it's more fun to watch, but he's certainly not the answer.

Again because his stock will never be higher and he'll make a ton more money. And if Harbaugh leaves, he'll have a new system and a higher likelihood of the team not doing as well, which may hurt him. Moreover the deadline for juniors declaring for the draft is mid-January and it's highly unlikely the CBA is signed by then.

It doesn't matter if the new CBA is signed by then. It expires before the draft. Now way owners are going to sign first rounders until they have an agreement signed. No CBA, no $50+ million contract for number 1 pick. Those days are gone.

It doesn't matter if the new CBA is signed by then. It expires before the draft. Now way owners are going to sign first rounders until they have an agreement signed. No CBA, no $50+ million contract for number 1 pick. Those days are gone.

Thanks for the clarification. I had forgotten the current CBA expires after the season, BEFORE the draft.

GO BILLS!!!

I'm obviously talking about how he usually throws a costly interception with the game on the line.

You can try to use some weird twist logic and skew the argument, but that doesn't change the fact that when it matters most he performs at his worst.

Hasn't Fitz engineered two last-minute fourth-quarter comebacks to tie games on the road against opponents with winning records. Or is that weird twist logic?

Didn't that last INT hit Nelson right in the hands? If so, will David Nelson ever get over his choking?

Fitz forced that one because it was desperation time. It was a risk that real QB's with real ballz take when necessary.

The Johnson INT was bad, sure, but you're going to have one of those WHEN YOU THROW 51 PASSES (and complete 61% of them).

Thanks for the clarification. I had forgotten the current CBA expires after the season, BEFORE the draft.

GO BILLS!!!

If, in late Jaunuary, this kid is convinced that there will be a lockout/strike, obviously he doesn't declare for the draft.

I read an article that says otherwise, with the gist being that it's not as cut and dried as it may seem. I'll see if I can dig it up.

In any case, I seriously hope that the days of ridiculous contracts are gone, starting in 2011. And if they are, I still see no reason for Luck to delay entry into the NFL, if he's rated the #1 overall prospect. What does he hope to gain by staying another year in college? Banging more college chicks at keggers, a la Leinart? Trying for a not-gonna-happen national championship, when he could get his pro career going? Finishing his degree, which he potentially might not use for another decade and which he can always finish at a later date?

It seems pretty clear at this point that Fitzpatrick is capable of playing well for periods of time, but when the game is on the line he has a tendency to make costly mistakes that lose football games.

It's a mental barrier. Some people are clutch, some aren't - that's life.

Do you think this is something he can overcome, or do you think it will plague him throughout the rest of his career?

It's not just making mistakes, it is more that his accuracy fails him frequently throughout the game. With the game on the line, the failed accuracy increases exponentially.

lmao..it's the same garbage on this site every day. are there actually bills fans on this board? Geeze. When it comes to bills QB's, the fans on this board are nauseating.

Why don't we post 40 threads as to why Fitz has more rushing yards in the season than spiller? Why don't we post another 40 threads on why Fred Jackson fumbled the ball yesterday, which by the way, also led to a TD for the bears. Post about that.

I read an article that says otherwise, with the gist being that it's not as cut and dried as it may seem. I'll see if I can dig it up.

In any case, I seriously hope that the days of ridiculous contracts are gone, starting in 2011. And if they are, I still see no reason for Luck to delay entry into the NFL, if he's rated the #1 overall prospect. What does he hope to gain by staying another year in college? Banging more college chicks at keggers, a la Leinart? Trying for a not-gonna-happen national championship, when he could get his pro career going? Finishing his degree, which he potentially might not use for another decade and which he can always finish at a later date?

I think you make a great point and it shouldn't be overlooked. I keep thinking of the tens of millions that Brohm left on the table when, after his junior year, he was consensus top 10 pick.

You are absolutely correct that, if Luck is THE consensus top player in the land after this season, then his value will NEVER be any higher. His value can only remain the same or DROP. Eliminating that as even a possibility might convince him to maximize his value now.

Unless he truly enjoys the college experience and doesn't mind the negative potential of staying in school and not doing as well his senior year. Either way, I don't blame the kid if he stays or elects to come out.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

I think you make a great point and it shouldn't be overlooked. I keep thinking of the tens of millions that Brohm left on the table when, after his junior year, he was consensus top 10 pick.

You are absolutely correct that, if Luck is THE consensus top player in the land after this season, then his value will NEVER be any higher. His value can only remain the same or DROP. Eliminating that as even a possibility might convince him to maximize his value now.

Unless he truly enjoys the college experience and doesn't mind the negative potential of staying in school and not doing as well his senior year. Either way, I don't blame the kid if he stays or elects to come out.

GO BILLS!!!

Brohm, along with Leinart, is another good example. And even if he remains as the top overall pick in 2012, he loses a year of NFL money.

Among the things I like very much about Fitz is his willingness to put the ball into tight spots. It means your receivers have to know what they're doing and the QB trusting them to do it. It means you're going to get some knocked down and some intercepted. It's also what the best QBs do on a regular basis. No risk, no reward.

I don't know if Fitzpatrick is the long-term answer at QB for the Bills but I support giving him the rest of the season before making any decision.

lmao..it's the same garbage on this site every day. are there actually bills fans on this board? Geeze. When it comes to bills QB's, the fans on this board are nauseating.

Why don't we post 40 threads as to why Fitz has more rushing yards in the season than spiller? Why don't we post another 40 threads on why Fred Jackson fumbled the ball yesterday, which by the way, also led to a TD for the bears. Post about that.

Anybody that walks to the back of the restaurant everyday & lifts up lid of the dumpster & breaths in, must enjoy being nauseated.

Again, he will stay in college if he thinks there is no pro football in 2011. Why would he come out for a lockout? After the CBA expires, no team is going to pay him Bradford money. They won't have to.