Can Fitzpatrick Overcome His Choking?

If the running game was any good AT ALL, then Fitz wouldn't have to run the whole offense himself and throw the ball 50 times. If the run game was any good then it would open up big plays down the field. But when every play is throw, throw,throw,then who can blame Fitz for forcing a ball into tight areas,when the D is playing for the bomb.

Fitz has been playing good and if he had any help at all, we would be winning and people wouldn't be talking about him choking. I guess he needs to go out and kick field goals also,or even take the ball and run it up the middle and be our RB as well.

Fitz just isn't the guy who can do it all the time on his own. He needs somebody to step up come crunch-time, which hasn't been happening. Fitz is the only reason we are in these last few games.

It is funny I saw Ben Rapelishburger "choke" by throwing an int last night when the Steelers were winning and in control of the game. The only difference there was his Defense stood up and gave them the win.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's made a couple costly errors.

But has also gotten us in position to win games.

He has started the equivalent to a season and a half.

I'm willing to let him play this season out before I make a judgement on if he should continue to be our starter.

Again, he will stay in college if he thinks there is no pro football in 2011. Why would he come out for a lockout? After the CBA expires, no team is going to pay him Bradford money. They won't have to.

Again, the deadline to declare for the NFL draft is January 14, 2011. Nothing definitive will be known regarding the CBA (the current one expires March 3, 2011) for at least another month after that deadline. And if the past is any indication, if a new CBA gets approved, it will likely happen at the 11th hour. And again, if the advisory board says he's the top overall pick, his stock will never be higher (and during the Stanford-Arizona game, Brent Musberger said that the Luck family was waiting on the advisory board's recommendation). Finally again, if Harbaugh leaves (for Michigan, which is very possible), he starts over and his draft stock stands a good chance of taking a hit. I think the last 2 will be the deciding factors, while he can't predict the future to see if there will be a lockout.

lmao..it's the same garbage on this site every day. are there actually bills fans on this board? Geeze. When it comes to bills QB's, the fans on this board are nauseating.

Why don't we post 40 threads as to why Fitz has more rushing yards in the season than spiller? Why don't we post another 40 threads on why Fred Jackson fumbled the ball yesterday, which by the way, also led to a TD for the bears. Post about that.

Freddie's play hurt us more than Fitz's play, most definitely.

We need to get our running game going.

Why don't we post 40 threads as to why Fitz has more rushing yards in the season than spiller? Why don't we post another 40 threads on why Fred Jackson fumbled the ball yesterday, which by the way, also led to a TD for the bears. Post about that.

How come there are no posts about Lindell choking? He missed the makable one in KC and the extra point against da Bears. KC one definitely cost us that game and the missed extra point meant it wasn't tied after regulation.

There's been plenty of choking going around. Roscoe dropped a long one followed by Lee Evans dropping on the next play. In the Ravens game Shawn Nelson choked by getting the ball stripped. Several DBs have choked by not getting picks when they should have. Spiller choked by fumbling that KO return against Ravens that cost us a TD.

These are team losses. Sure some of Fitz' picks have hurt us, but if he didn't play the way he does, we wouldn't even be in these games. He's a lot better now than he was last year and will continue to improve if given time.

Again, the deadline to declare for the NFL draft is January 14, 2011. Nothing definitive will be known regarding the CBA (the current one expires March 3, 2011) for at least another month after that deadline. And if the past is any indication, if a new CBA gets approved, it will likely happen at the 11th hour. And again, if the advisory board says he's the top overall pick, his stock will never be higher (and during the Stanford-Arizona game, Brent Musberger said that the Luck family was waiting on the advisory board's recommendation). Finally again, if Harbaugh leaves (for Michigan, which is very possible), he starts over and his draft stock stands a good chance of taking a hit. I think the last 2 will be the deciding factors, while he can't predict the future to see if there will be a lockout.

So how does he avoid the rookie cap?

And what if there is a lockout?

Rodriguez won't be fired. He's turning things around and has a lot of frosh/sophs he's winning with now.

Brent Musberger?

Fitz choked it against KC, too. Lindell's kick was a very low percentage kick, but the Bills were going to seal the victory over KC when Fitzpatrick struck again.

Anyways, yes, the Bills have lots of bad players. They screw up all the time. No one is denying that.

Fitzpatrick has a knack for saving his biggest and most costly screw ups for when the game is on the line, though. He seems to do it every week, and QB is the position where that sort of choking hurts you the most.

Fitz choked it against KC, too. Lindell's kick was a very low percentage kick,

Lindell choked it against KC. Why can't we put the blame where it goes? Why are kickers immune from being accused of choking? Seems painfully obvious. He made the kick once and had it long enough the second time and doinked it. If that ain't a choke, I don't know what is.

Fitz choked it against KC, too. Lindell's kick was a very low percentage kick, but the Bills were going to seal the victory over KC when Fitzpatrick struck again.

Anyways, yes, the Bills have lots of bad players. They screw up all the time. No one is denying that.

Fitzpatrick has a knack for saving his biggest and most costly screw ups for when the game is on the line, though. He seems to do it every week, and QB is the position where that sort of choking hurts you the most.

I guess the Fitzpatrick to Stevie Johnson TD pass to tie the score capping a 15 play, 7:18 TOP drive with 2:18 left on the clock was a mirage.

Lindell choked it against KC. Why can't we put the blame where it goes? Why are kickers immune from being accused of choking? Seems painfully obvious. He made the kick once and had it long enough the second time and doinked it. If that ain't a choke, I don't know what is.

Kickers aren't immune. You just don't understand probability I guess. What do you think the chances are that Lindell, a kicker known for his short accuracy and not the longball, hits a 50+ yarder in an unfamiliar stadium in that wind? I'd say maybe 25% tops. It's not a choke when it's a longshot to begin with. You don't buy a lotto ticket and lose and call it a choke.

The Bills were driving to seal the victory and Fitzpatrick's interception gave the Chiefs new life. It was an awful pick. Just like he always does, he got nervous and air mailed it with horrible inaccuracy.

Whatever, I don't want to rehash this, it was already settled in another thread.

If you can't admit that Fitzpatrick has trouble with the game on the line, then you are blind to reality. You can point the finger at other people, and others also screw up, but that doesn't somehow absolve Fitzpatrick.

The point of the thread is to discuss whether he can "fix" it, or if he will always be like this.

Edited by NaPolian8693

How come there are no posts about Lindell choking? He missed the makable one in KC and the extra point against da Bears. KC one definitely cost us that game and the missed extra point meant it wasn't tied after regulation.

There's been plenty of choking going around. Roscoe dropped a long one followed by Lee Evans dropping on the next play. In the Ravens game Shawn Nelson choked by getting the ball stripped. Several DBs have choked by not getting picks when they should have. Spiller choked by fumbling that KO return against Ravens that cost us a TD.

These are team losses. Sure some of Fitz' picks have hurt us, but if he didn't play the way he does, we wouldn't even be in these games. He's a lot better now than he was last year and will continue to improve if given time.

exactly right! why people are in such a hurry to start over again now that serious progress is being made is beyond me. These last few weeks have been the best I've seen the Bills offense in years.

Fair is fair: Lindel had NOTHING to do with the BLOCKED PAT. Watch how badly Eric Wood and Howard (I think?) get tossed backward and then tell me Lindell was to blame.

I guess the Fitzpatrick to Stevie Johnson TD pass to tie the score capping a 15 play, 7:18 TOP drive with 2:18 left on the clock was a mirage.

Oh, I brought this up two days ago. If you're expecting anyone to acknowledge it, you're kidding yourself.

He's a 6 year veteran, if he hasn't been capable of it by now it's never going to happen.

He has 23 career starts.

Way to imply that he has 96.

He's a 6 year veteran, if he hasn't been capable of it by now it's never going to happen.

And yet NFL history is dotted with QBs who had it happen after their first 6 years. QBs who became Pro Bowlers well after their sixth seasons.

Fitz leaves much to be desired in the way of physical attributes in a QB and I'm not suggesting he has Pro Bowler written all over him, but there is no denying he some tools necessary for success. We forget he's started less than 25 games in the NFL. So, while he definitely learned a lot just being in the league, there is no substitute for game experience.

GO BILLS!!!

Fair is fair: Lindel had NOTHING to do with the BLOCKED PAT. Watch how badly Eric Wood and Howard (I think?) get tossed backward and then tell me Lindell was to blame.

Sure he did. He kicked it too low. Had he kicked it like most PATs up high it couldn't have been blocked unless the defenders had a step ladder.

I just dont' think Fitz has a big "choking" problem. He's made some mistakes late that have cost us. No doubt. But as I recall St. Brett choked in the NFC championship game. Jim Kelly choked in a game against the Fish when we were down by 6 in the 4th and he threw a pick 6. Happens. Maybe if Fitz had a little more help and didn't have to try to score late in the game EVERY WEEK it wouldn't be such a problem? Hopefully we find out this week.

Give the guy a chance is all I'm saying.

God, I'm tired of hearing this.

Please be more specific, and please cite examples.

Relax, Cat. I'm a big Fitz fan. Search my post history and you'll see I'm a huge advocate.

As for physical attributes that Fitz lacks we can start with his size. Ideally, he'd be a bit taller. But that's certainly not a show stopper.

His mechanics tend to break down more than I'd like to see and this directly leads to his problems with consistent accuracy.

And, while his arm is certainly adequate, we'd like to see more natural arm strength in a QB. This isn't a problem for Fitz very often but when he needs extra zip on his passes, he tends to compensate by getting more of his body into the motion which, again, leads to mechanical breakdowns. Especially when he's fatigued. The pass he bounced to to an open D. Nelson on the last drive Sunday is a prime example.

All that said about his lack of ideal physical attributes, he MORE than makes up for in smarts. He is the best QB we've had at reading a defense since Kelly. And Flutie was pretty good, too. It is more than a coincidence that the Bills' third down conversion rate has skyrocketed in the last few weeks. That's directly related to Fitz's rare ability to read fronts and coverages.

Bottom line: a smart QB lacking in a few physical attributes will get you through games FAR FAR better than a physical stud that can't read a defense. Every time.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

Please be more specific, and please cite examples.

I.e. he is mentally very astute and a great reader of defenses, but his physical tools are lacking. The physical tools being the ability to throw the ball close to his intended target, especially when the game is on the line.

He "Goes on the Fritz" way too often to be an elite-level quarterback in the NFL. That is a physical tool.

Nobody questions his heart, his resolve, or his brains. Those are the non-physical tools that he has in spades.

Make more sense now? :)

Relax, Cat. I'm a big Fitz fan. Search my post history and you'll see I'm a huge advocate.

As for physical attributes that Fitz lacks we can start with his size. Ideally, he'd be a bit taller. But that's certainly not a show stopper.

His mechanics tend to break down more than I'd like to see and this directly leads to his problems with consistent accuracy.

And, while his arm is certainly adequate, we'd like to see more natural arm strength in a QB. This isn't a problem for Fitz very often but when he needs extra zip on his passes, he tends to compensate by getting more of his body into the motion which, again, leads to mechanical breakdowns. Especially when he's fatigued. The pass he bounced to to an open D. Nelson on the last drive Sunday is a prime example.

All that said about his lack of ideal physical attributes, he MORE than makes up for in smarts. He is the best QB we've had at reading a defense since Kelly. And Flutie was pretty good, too. It is more than a coincidence that the Bills' third down conversion rate has skyrocketed in the last few weeks. That's directly related to Fitz's rare ability to read fronts and coverages.

Bottom line: a smart QB lacking in a few physical attributes will get you through games FAR FAR better than a physical stud that can't read a defense. Every time.

GO BILLS!!!

Nicely put. I've always thought he looks like he labors the ball. And the way you describe him, he sounds like a Chad Pennington with better wheels, bigger balls and slightly more zip. I'd say that's practically spot on.

You'll have to excuse my frustration, for most around here the phrase "he doesn't have the physical tools" has become meaningless short hand. I agree with everything you said, especially the part about how his brain makes up for it! :thumbsup:

Prime example: watch the replay of the Roscoe TD from Sunday. Throws the ball through three defenders, and right into Roscoe's lap the MOMENT he was open--not because he (like Kelly before him) could wait wait wait and GUN the ball through a peep hole, no, he threw the ball a whole SECOND before Roscoe made his break and even looked for the ball. The ball got to the spot, when it needed to, because Fitz was smart enough to know where and when that spot would open up. Again, see Chad Pennington.

I.e. he is mentally very astute and a great reader of defenses, but his physical tools are lacking. The physical tools being the ability to throw the ball close to his intended target, especially when the game is on the line.

He "Goes on the Fritz" way too often to be an elite-level quarterback in the NFL. That is a physical tool.

Nobody questions his heart, his resolve, or his brains. Those are the non-physical tools that he has in spades.

Make more sense now? :)

Nobody here says he doesn't have lapses in accuracy. All the quarterbacks EXCEPT the first ballot-HOFers tend to. Why renders this critique obselete are all the times throughout any given game (and they're numerous) where he DOES make throws that completely belie this notion that he's a chronically inaccurate passer.

Again: go back and watch the TD to Evans against Baltimore that's threaded through FOUR defenders and right into Evans bread basket AS he's arriving to the open spot, it's one for the HOF reel, it truly is.

Also: listen to his explanation on bb.com of the pick to Johnson in the fourth. It wasn't as simple as "underthrown." His read on the play required him to make a very, very difficult throw to avoid getting picked by the safety.