Shawne Merriman: is 26!.: two questions:

What was wrong with him, why hasn't he played?

and

Is he supposed to be any good now--anything objective on this?

Yeah, I know there are a lot of posts, but too lazy to sift through them for these answers.

He has had injuries that have kept off of the field the last two seasons.

He wants a new big time contract and held out earlier this year.

The jury is out.

No one knows if he has any juice left. Pun intended.

He got caught using PEDs and his injuries increased, his PT and production decreased.

So was he great player as a result of PEDs or was it just a coincidence that he got caught using then caught the injury bug.

He has a lot to prove.

Buffalo gives him the perfect opportunity. If he is healthy enough to play. He immediately becomes a starter and get to show case if he has anything left. If he does he will be a hot commodity on the free agent market in the offseason.

Edited by Levitre + Wang = Wood

He has had injuries that have kept off of the field the last two seasons.

He wants a new big time contract and held out earlier this year.

The jury is out.

No one knows if he has any juice left. Pun intended.

He got caught using PEDs and his injuries increased, his PT and production decreased.

So was he great player as a result of PEDs or was it just a coincidence that he got caught using then caught the injury bug.

He has a lot to prove.

Buffalo gives him the perfect opportunity. If he is healthy enough to play. He immediately becomes a starter and get to show case if he has anything left. If he does he will be a hot commodity on the free agent market in the offseason.

Thanks. Hope the Bills give him a contract that gives the Bills an option for next year.

(And relax there Rockinon and KD--you're like that nasty old neighbor, peering out his window, waiting for the kickball to roll onto his lawn.)

and

Yeah, I know there are a lot of posts, but too lazy to sift through them for these answers.

Not a student of the game. Late to team discussions. Proud of your laziness. This team's gonna cut your @$$!!

And I'm not worried about your kickball on my lawn, cuz you're apparently too lazy to get it there!

Edited by Sabre Bill

I can't imagine a single NFL team would give up on a 26 year old pass rusher, when there is such an incredible dearth of pass rushing talent in the league, if they really thought he had anything left, no matter how big a pain he is. Look at how we hold onto a guy like maybin who doesn't even have any prowess on the field. This leads me to believe that the chargers truly feel he has flamed out.

I can't imagine a single NFL team would give up on a 26 year old pass rusher, when there is such an incredible dearth of pass rushing talent in the league, if they really thought he had anything left, no matter how big a pain he is. Look at how we hold onto a guy like maybin who doesn't even have any prowess on the field. This leads me to believe that the chargers truly feel he has flamed out.

IDK that one thread w/ the link to the charger board many think if he gets healthy he's got some left. Those are fans that have watched him for years. Now the organization on the other hand.....they were done w/ him. He held out, he's always hurt, and his production is shot. The truth is though, he played through that knee injury (that killed him) for this organization. So...

Easy -- unrestricted free agency. In 8 weeks, he wasn't going to be a member of the team anyway. There was bad blood, and might I suggest that SD might have a bull headed GM (see LT, Brees, V Jax, McNeill for some other fine examples).

and

1) This year he has had a calf injury, but the most serious was a knee reconstruction a few years ago, which is when he started to slide and fall far from the elite player he was. Noone knows why all these injuries started all of a sudden, but it isn't out of the question that steroids had something to do with it, as they have a tendency to really throw your body out of whack.

2) Right now, he is just another guy in the league until he can prove otherwise. 4 sacks in 18 games the past 3 years is Chris Kelsey-like performance, especially after he had 39.5 in 42 games his first 3 years. Is it possible, he is still coming back from the knee injury? Yeah, I guess so...sometimes a guy isn't right for a few years after it, so that might be the best case scenario, that his knee finally heals enough to allow him to regain his speed and form that made into one of the best. However, there are a lot of doubts that will ever happen, as some people just never make it back. Honestly, there is just no way to know until we see him play what could be the problem. Perhaps comparing what we see with the Bills versus his early days in SD in highlights might shed some light into it...if I had to guess it would be his speed is betraying him and he isn't able to get as much leverage with his knee and is pushed out of the way easier than before, but that is only my guess...I haven't really seen any games of him in his un-elite form.

Really not much harm in trying him out...if he ends up staying healthy and getting back anywhere close to his level he was at, we have a really good player who is still young enough to be on the team 3 or 4 years if they can re-sign him...

EDIT:

I watched some old Charger highlights of Merriman and I noticed a few things:

1) His speed was unreal. A lot of plays he simply just outran the tackle before he could barely even get a hand on him, he was by him.

2) He was violent. When he hit you, he hit you full speed and hit you extremely hard. It looked like those hits hurt on film. Bills could use someone like that.

3) He'd run to a point where the tackle caught up to him, but was still moving backward and off-balance, then Merriman would stop, engage him, use the OT's off-balance against him and be able to get underneath and come back to the QB. This worked extremely well because the OT had to work so hard at getting back to block him, he lost his technique and was easily pushed out of the way by Merriman who would just come back and drill the QB from behind.

My thoughts are that lack of speed would be the reason he is ineffective now from his knee/lack of steroidal performance. He literally looked like he was shot of a cannon when the ball was snapped. This caused the OT to either not be able to even get out of his stance fast enough to block him, or to over-pursue backwards to try and make sure he didn't get around the outside to where Merriman would just allow his momentum to carry him right past and go inside. If he is not fast enough for either of those things to happen, it would explain why he is easier to block now...

Edited by matter2003

I can imagine it when he's on the last year of his contract. That's the reality of today's NFL-if you're not re-signing a player who is in his last contract year, you're a lot more inclined to dump him if he does anything that rubs you the wrong way.

Going off my memory (which is bad) AJ Smith wanted him to have off season surgery on his knee or heel (cant remember exactly) to be ready for the new year. SM didn't want to have the surgery and said he could play. First game of the year, SM found out he should have had the surgery and was IR'd the rest of the year. He also had a pectorial muscle injury if I remember right as well. They weren't to friendly after that, combined with the drug suspension, Tila Tequila horseshit. So basically he has been cooling his jets for the last two years. Merriman should be a monster ready to go.

1) This year he has had a calf injury, but the most serious was a knee reconstruction a few years ago, which is when he started to slide and fall far from the elite player he was. Noone knows why all these injuries started all of a sudden, but it isn't out of the question that steroids had something to do with it, as they have a tendency to really throw your body out of whack.

2) Right now, he is just another guy in the league until he can prove otherwise. 4 sacks in 18 games the past 3 years is Chris Kelsey-like performance, especially after he had 39.5 in 42 games his first 3 years. Is it possible, he is still coming back from the knee injury? Yeah, I guess so...sometimes a guy isn't right for a few years after it, so that might be the best case scenario, that his knee finally heals enough to allow him to regain his speed and form that made into one of the best. However, there are a lot of doubts that will ever happen, as some people just never make it back. Honestly, there is just no way to know until we see him play what could be the problem. Perhaps comparing what we see with the Bills versus his early days in SD in highlights might shed some light into it...if I had to guess it would be his speed is betraying him and he isn't able to get as much leverage with his knee and is pushed out of the way easier than before, but that is only my guess...I haven't really seen any games of him in his un-elite form.

Really not much harm in trying him out...if he ends up staying healthy and getting back anywhere close to his level he was at, we have a really good player who is still young enough to be on the team 3 or 4 years if they can re-sign him...

EDIT:

I watched some old Charger highlights of Merriman and I noticed a few things:

1) His speed was unreal. A lot of plays he simply just outran the tackle before he could barely even get a hand on him, he was by him.

2) He was violent. When he hit you, he hit you full speed and hit you extremely hard. It looked like those hits hurt on film. Bills could use someone like that.

3) He'd run to a point where the tackle caught up to him, but was still moving backward and off-balance, then Merriman would stop, engage him, use the OT's off-balance against him and be able to get underneath and come back to the QB. This worked extremely well because the OT had to work so hard at getting back to block him, he lost his technique and was easily pushed out of the way by Merriman who would just come back and drill the QB from behind.

My thoughts are that lack of speed would be the reason he is ineffective now from his knee/lack of steroidal performance. He literally looked like he was shot of a cannon when the ball was snapped. This caused the OT to either not be able to even get out of his stance fast enough to block him, or to over-pursue backwards to try and make sure he didn't get around the outside to where Merriman would just allow his momentum to carry him right past and go inside. If he is not fast enough for either of those things to happen, it would explain why he is easier to block now...

Great info, just what I was looking for--thank you!

If super speed was what separated him from the rest, then I think he may not be what some are hoping for, including me.

His injuries, and lack of performance since, do seem to indicate that he was a product of the times--and not a great player because of his own effort and ability

Oh, well, we will see. The Bills can use some luck now, so, hopefully he can still be a high level player.