Jay Glazer Comments about Merriman

The Titans have a chance at the playoffs. Getting better for them means getting into the playoffs/making a superbowl run. (not sure what Moss's contract situation is...) so even if he's a one year guy, it did some good.

The Bills have zero chance of the playoffs. If Merriman ends up being a one year guy, and improves us from worst to 4th worst team... then what good did it do?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

More or less he said it was a move that made no sense because we arent going to make the playoffs and he will be out of Buffalo as soon as the seasons over.

Anyone agree?

That's a typical media comment !! Anything we do to make the team viable the media looks at as a no sense move , they think we are losers & should just come to grips with it .

But by Nix bringing him in i think he is not only bringing in a player that the younger guys can learn from in a work ethic type of way but i see it as trying to change the losing mentality to one of a winning mentality .

Merriman has been in both positions & i think with him being injured will come here & he will be trying to prove that he is still worth another good contract next year . Which will probably be some where else but if the young guys can grasp anything from him it will be worth it seeing as the money between cutting Green & picking up Merriman i about the same .

So 2 Free agents in 7 years, that the best you can do. And the team is still less than 90% of the salary cap, so why wouldn't they spend the full amount of money? There weren't any players available?

They don't spend the money because it is the Bills business plan to run on the cheap.

You really are blind if you don't see that.

I love you "Ralph is a cheapskate" guys... Clueless! You mention the Bills "business plan" is to run on the cheap. The only part you got right is that this is a BUSINESS. Owners of businesses have them for one reason, profit! Just because the Bills have room under the salary cap doesn't mean they have money to spend and maintain profitability. For your information, the Buffalo Bills had the 12th LARGEST payroll in the NFL in 2009. The Bills absolutely have shown a willingness to pay players, they just haven't always made the best decisions when it comes to who they are paying. But this nonsense that Ralph is cheap because he doesn't spend to the cap is ridiculous.

I love you "Ralph is a cheapskate" guys... Clueless! You mention the Bills "business plan" is to run on the cheap. The only part you got right is that this is a BUSINESS. Owners of businesses have them for one reason, profit! Just because the Bills have room under the salary cap doesn't mean they have money to spend and maintain profitability. For your information, the Buffalo Bills had the 12th LARGEST payroll in the NFL in 2009. The Bills absolutely have shown a willingness to pay players, they just haven't always made the best decisions when it comes to who they are paying. But this nonsense that Ralph is cheap because he doesn't spend to the cap is ridiculous.

Not necessarily. Certain privately-owned businesses are allowed to lose money for tax reasons. Also, when you're talking about a quasi-monopolistic oligarchy like the NFL, profit does not depend entirely on the success of your own individual franchise. There is a free rider problem, whereby crappy franchises are propped up by high-performing franchises.

So at the best, we still miss the playoffs, we lose draft position, our LBs lose time in our current defensive scheme, and we don't retain him.

Great move :)

Actually,

1. We miss the playoffs with or without him so I am not even sure what point you are making here.

2. No team should ever be playing to lose games to improve draft position. In order to win, a team must never say die. If it does it will die. In fact, if this becomes the attitude it will simply take additional years to change this ethic. Operating to get better draft position this year strikes me as something one would need a good three years to recover from.

3. There simply is no LB on this team who needs development PT time with a reasonable chance of becoming a solid Bill who will lose it due to Merriman being here. Maybin is actually the only youngster who has the "possible" skillset, but he can be inactive as a healthy scratch either with or without Merrimen around.

4. Grown-ups realize this is the NFL and almost every player may not be around. How you can know the future Kreskin is an interesting trick.

I'll have to search for it, but iirc, it was in an ESPN article.

Could be heresay, could be fact, who knows with the media. Either way, I can't imagine going from a good team in good weather, to a bad team in bad weather to be something he wants to do.

He won't be here next year, so I don't understand the point.

You might understand better if you can imagine him staying here.

He probably will not be here (it seems equally likely we may not want him if the injury problem which led to SD benching him is actually that bad)but,

1. This whole thing is for a short time (9 games or even 2-3 years if he were to resign). I have no problem imagining him playing as well as he can as he does a 9 game audition to impress the NFL for his next contract. I even have no problem imagining the Bills either getting a nice piece of compensation when this FA departs for a big contract (this assumes he auditions well for us in the next 9) or we pay him the big bucks to keep him so he can buy an extra thousand feet in his next estate back home or in Hawaii, or we cut him because he is done.

2. As a vet he has already seen the country and he is likely going back home or he has picked a place. His next contract is not likely to be about finding the best weather, but simply about cashing in so he can build a bigger home wherever he goes. If he performs and builds a fan base here in the next nine. its not hard at all for me to IMAGINE the Bills paying him what the market demands plus whatever weather premium we need to pay. The bills will do this IF it benefits the Bills.

Not necessarily. Certain privately-owned businesses are allowed to lose money for tax reasons. Also, when you're talking about a quasi-monopolistic oligarchy like the NFL, profit does not depend entirely on the success of your own individual franchise. There is a free rider problem, whereby crappy franchises are propped up by high-performing franchises.

Spoken like a liberal.

Holy Crap !!! You are correct.

http://content.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/salaries/totalpayroll.aspx?year=2009'>http://content.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/salaries/totalpayroll.aspx?year=2009

I knew the Bills were about 20 Mill Under the cap last year, and have been for awhile. I thought that this was unusually low.

http://content.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/salaries/totalpayroll.aspx?year=2009

It turns out it wasn't.

How are the Cowboys at 90 Mil, seems strange. That would put them about 30 mil under the cap.

The Cap was 127 mil in 2009.

Interesting. Ok. I stand corrected the Bills being under 90% of the Salary Cap is not unusually low and is in fact above average spending for an NFL team.

Actually,

1. We miss the playoffs with or without him so I am not even sure what point you are making here.

2. No team should ever be playing to lose games to improve draft position. In order to win, a team must never say die. If it does it will die. In fact, if this becomes the attitude it will simply take additional years to change this ethic. Operating to get better draft position this year strikes me as something one would need a good three years to recover from.

3. There simply is no LB on this team who needs development PT time with a reasonable chance of becoming a solid Bill who will lose it due to Merriman being here. Maybin is actually the only youngster who has the "possible" skillset, but he can be inactive as a healthy scratch either with or without Merrimen around.

4. Grown-ups realize this is the NFL and almost every player may not be around. How you can know the future Kreskin is an interesting trick.

You might understand better if you can imagine him staying here.

He probably will not be here (it seems equally likely we may not want him if the injury problem which led to SD benching him is actually that bad)but,

1. This whole thing is for a short time (9 games or even 2-3 years if he were to resign). I have no problem imagining him playing as well as he can as he does a 9 game audition to impress the NFL for his next contract. I even have no problem imagining the Bills either getting a nice piece of compensation when this FA departs for a big contract (this assumes he auditions well for us in the next 9) or we pay him the big bucks to keep him so he can buy an extra thousand feet in his next estate back home or in Hawaii, or we cut him because he is done.

2. As a vet he has already seen the country and he is likely going back home or he has picked a place. His next contract is not likely to be about finding the best weather, but simply about cashing in so he can build a bigger home wherever he goes. If he performs and builds a fan base here in the next nine. its not hard at all for me to IMAGINE the Bills paying him what the market demands plus whatever weather premium we need to pay. The bills will do this IF it benefits the Bills.

1. We don't improve, and he leaves... that's my point. There is no return for our short term investment.

2. I agree, and I don't think we are playing to lose. But bringing in someone who is constantly injured, and not playing well, and is likely to leave next year doesn't really do much. At best, he improves us for a couple victories... but what does that do? What is the result of that at the end of the season? All it results in is a slightly worse draft number, and again, a need at LB.

3. Realistically, I agree. But since (imo) Merriman is a temporary player, you might as well just let the guys we have play it out and see what they can do. It's likely they won't amount to anything, but at least we get a proper look at them for a whole season under the current DC.

4. I apologize if you are taking my opinions as fact. They are not fact, they are opinions. I do not know what the future holds. All I can go on is what we have heard from him and seen from him, and the general culture of the Bills keeping certain players around. *In my opinion*, he will not be here next year. Again... like I've said... I hope that I am wrong, and he plays really well. I hope that I am wrong, and if he plays well, we keep him.

-----

I suppose I could be more optimistic... but I think, in this case, I'd be fooling myself.

I'd be more comfortable with the situation if he wasn't on the last year of his contract, to be honest. I think that's what bothers me most.

I don't agree with that. You have to try to field a good team. Right now the defense is so awful that you can't even fairly evaluate the individual players. Right now, LB is the weakest link, so they went out and got a guy. You owe it to the fans to try to put a quality product out there. I know I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do. As for next year, who knows... maybe he'll sign and stay. Or maybe it will turn out that his best days are behind him and he no longer belongs in the NFL.

At least the Bills acknowledged that they need to improve. That's a step in the right direction. Doing nothing because "we aren't going to make the playoffs" is defeatism.

+1

So 2 Free agents in 7 years, that the best you can do. And the team is still less than 90% of the salary cap, so why wouldn't they spend the full amount of money? There weren't any players available?

They don't spend the money because it is the Bills business plan to run on the cheap.

You really are blind if you don't see that.

You asked for just 1 & I gave you 2 off the top of my head.

Good to see that Shoveldog pursuaded you better than I could winging it. When we sign Andrew Luck for $60 million, everyone will see a willingness to spend.

I think even if he leaves, we get a compensatory pick. This move makes total sense even if it doesn't pay dividends on the field. He comes cheap and is a low risk/high reward play. You can bet the bean counters at OBD crunched all the numbers to make it financially reasonable.

C

Good point. I agree. With our defense, what have we got to lose?

The Titans have a chance at the playoffs. Getting better for them means getting into the playoffs/making a superbowl run. (not sure what Moss's contract situation is...) so even if he's a one year guy, it did some good.

The Bills have zero chance of the playoffs. If Merriman ends up being a one year guy, and improves us from worst to 4th worst team... then what good did it do?

OK Eeyore! Thanks for the input.

Maybe he means that most teams don't depend on the waiver wire, in November, to "try to get better".

I love the way the fans turn this story around on Jay Glazier as if its his fault the Bills suck and are in desperation mode. This move will be forgotten in a couple months because it is irrelevant to the Bills ultimate success or failure.

Merriman won't be here past January (if he lasts that long). Did they bring him in to counsel Maybin? Are Merriman's 4 total sacks in the last 3 years is really impressive? It seems those are Chris Kelsay type stats.

At least the acquisition diverts attention for a short time, but the football impact will be negligible. Much ado about nothing.

More or less he said it was a move that made no sense because we arent going to make the playoffs and he will be out of Buffalo as soon as the seasons over.

Anyone agree?

I don't see a downside, since I think one of the reasons they brought him in was to act as a teacher for the 3-4. Merriman has a lot of experience as a rush linebacker in the 3-4. He also has a friendship with Nix from their San Diego days. If they can get some pass rush production out of him, fine. If not, he can teach the finer points of 3-4 play to the linebackers that are here.

And who knows? Maybe he can teach something to Maybin.

To me the only big risk at this point is that the Bills improve enough to slide out of the #1 draft slot. As far as the money and Merriman's chances of making an impact go, this team has absolutely nothing to lose so why not. It's "only" $1.7M.

For the Bills, it's a can't-lose situation, however I could definitely see the argument that this makes no sense for Merriman's career. Too bad for him that he has no choice in the matter, I guess.

Merriman will without question NOT be on the Bills next year and we won't receive a compensatory pick. Those days are over.

Actually, most people who know what they are talking about are saying that should Merriman leave after this season, the Bills will get either a 4th or 5th rounder compensatory pick depending on how much Merriman signs for with another team. The Bills also have the option of putting the franchise tag on him thus forcing him to stay in Buffalo. This could be a real option if he turns out to still be in prime form. It is also possible that Merriman comes up to Buffalo, finds he enjoys playing with his friend Maybin, becomes a difference maker for the team and likes the love the fans give him. If Merriman actually enjoys the 4am last call scene, he might be enticed into signing a long term deal. If you think about it, the Bills are moving in the right direction, given their record they will likely get a very high draft pick and be able to add another playmaker to the squad. Merriman could sign with some team that looks like it is more of a contender and get stuck on a crappy team next year a la Dallas. Nothing is guaranteed in the NFL.

Who gives a rat's a** what Glazer thinks. Buddy's job is to improve this team and this move may well do that. If he pans out great. If we resign him, all the better. But to sit on his hands and not take a shot at signing hime is not an option. As PTR said, Glazer also wrote we'd be crackerdogs not to take him. Bottom line is that most of the media are pant-loads who have to either fill copy inches or keep the meters moving to justify their existance. I try to give them as little credence as possible and 90% of the time that attitude gets justified.

Let's take a poll...how many people would be "thrilled" if they had to move from sunny San Diego, to Buffalo as the winter is approaching? I love Buffalo as much as anybody else, but even I would have a tough time being thrilled if it meant moving from an area I lived with almost perfect weather for the last 6 years.

and you forgot to mention one of the crappiest teams in the league! (and not even going to go to the Dave&Busters card) Honestly - file 'Not being "thrilled" to join the 0-7 Bills in Buffalo with wintry weather approaching' in the 'Sky Is Blue' dept. I would question someone's sanity if they WERE thrilled.

Edited by stevewin