Bills Claim Merriman?

jscap

According to a friend working over @ 1BD, the Bills put a claim in on Merriman. Not sure when it becomes official.

According to league rules, it can't be official until the 4pm deadline whereupon the club that gets him makes the announcement.

My question is, since the Bills have first claim, why can't they just announce it early? Kinda like having the first pick in the draft and being able to negotiate with a player before hand. I mean, there's just no mystery here if the Bills put in a claim.

On another note, I wonder how long before Merriman would be in a position to help the team.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

I just wish we could resign him after this year.

If Nix has already spoken to Merriman as Glazer reported then I'm sure the subject of a longterm possibility was broached. Unless it's purely a "PR" move.

I think each team that puts a claim in has to indicate which round draft pick from next year they forfeit. So the Bills might put a claim in for a 7th rounder, for eg, but if another team puts in a 6th or better, they would get them. I think.

That's supplemental draft, not waivers like this. if we want him, we get him.

I think each team that puts a claim in has to indicate which round draft pick from next year they forfeit. So the Bills might put a claim in for a 7th rounder, for eg, but if another team puts in a 6th or better, they would get them. I think.

Why do you lose a draft pick for claiming a player off waivers? I have not heard of this.