Simple Draft Strategy

RyanC883

Ok, so in my opinion (many of you will disagree) we are set at the skill positions. We finally have a QB who can throw the ball, and as a result Lee Evans, S. Johnson, and R. Parrish look solid. We also have 2 good RB's. So, in the next draft, I think you take the highest rated O-line, D-line, or LB available with every pick in the first 3 rounds. Personally I’d weight towards drafting D-Line, LB, then O-line, unless the Wisconsin O-lineman is available in the 2nd round, then I’d grab him. After the first 3 rounds, you can grab another RB, and WR at some point (these positions can generally be filled later in the draft). Thoughts.

Of course, if Luck is available, grab him, then follow the above pushing everything back a round. But i'm assuming Luck stays at Standford, unless Dallas has the 1ts pick. (since they will pay rediculous $$$).

Ok, so in my opinion (many of you will disagree) we are set at the skill positions. We finally have a QB who can throw the ball, and as a result Lee Evans, S. Johnson, and R. Parrish look solid. We also have 2 good RB's. So, in the next draft, I think you take the highest rated O-line, D-line, or LB available with every pick in the first 3 rounds. Personally I’d weight towards drafting D-Line, LB, then O-line, unless the Wisconsin O-lineman is available in the 2nd round, then I’d grab him. After the first 3 rounds, you can grab another RB, and WR at some point (these positions can generally be filled later in the draft). Thoughts.

Of course, if Luck is available, grab him, then follow the above pushing everything back a round. But i'm assuming Luck stays at Standford, unless Dallas has the 1ts pick. (since they will pay rediculous $$$).

Agree for the most part. I don't think Luck will leave school and don't pretend to have the knowledge as to whether Maillett is the real deal, if he is take him. Not sold on Locker, so that DL, LB and T become most prudent. Whoever is taken, needs to be sure fire prowbowl type at those positions. This also doesn't address possible trades. If possible to get 2 first round selections for where B-lo ends up in draft, I'd be for that. (I read it's hard to trade the first pick.)

Agree for the most part. I don't think Luck will leave school and don't pretend to have the knowledge as to whether Maillett is the real deal, if he is take him. Not sold on Locker, so that DL, LB and T become most prudent. Whoever is taken, needs to be sure fire prowbowl type at those positions. This also doesn't address possible trades. If possible to get 2 first round selections for where B-lo ends up in draft, I'd be for that. (I read it's hard to trade the first pick.)

also have no clue about Mallett or Locker. If they are very solid I'd consider them at one, but i always fear taking a QB that high unless i've seen him play a bunch in college on TV (I know, not the best way to scout, but it's the only one i've got!!)

I agree with your strategy except for one key element. We should do this with at least 2/3rds of said picks in EVERY DRAFT. Thats what all the good teams do.

I agree with your strategy except for one key element. We should do this with at least 2/3rds of said picks in EVERY DRAFT. Thats what all the good teams do.

I think our draft strategy should be to just draft whoever the experts think we should draft.

We haven't tried that one in a while. And given our current results, its worth a shot.

I think our draft strategy should be to just draft whoever the experts think we should draft.

We haven't tried that one in a while. And given our current results, its worth a shot.

Well yes. I was dumb to assume we would draft good players. I would prefer Mayock making our selection every time over our entire scouting staff

Since it's simple..I'll give mine before reading the post and see if it is similar to your post:

1. Draft the best QB in the first round of the draft!

2. Draft the best OLT if any good ones are left in the second round, if not then draft the

best (and probably the biggest) DT in the second round!

It's really about that simple, except everyone including myself said the same thing last year, and it had no bearing on the "best available player regardless of positon" mentality of the Bills management. :doh:

Since it's simple..I'll give mine before reading the post and see if it is similar to your post:

1. Draft the best QB in the first round of the draft!

2. Draft the best OLT if any good ones are left in the second round, if not then draft the

best (and probably the biggest) DT in the second round!

It's really about that simple, except everyone including myself said the same thing last year, and it had no bearing on the "best available player regardless of positon" mentality of the Bills management. :doh:

Okay I've read your now...and I agree about Luck so far if he comes out..I still would select a QB in the first 2 rounds, even if it means developing him for a year or two! I would prefer luck by far, but regardless I personally want a new face in the mix that isn't a 7th rounder, or stale bread from the cheeseheads! I hope Fitzpatrick continues his improvement and superb performances. Yes, I would also be open to him starting next season if he continues his performance in a sustained manner over the next 10 games!

I wouldn't spend picks on RB or WR next year...don't get me wrong..more is better, but Easley really impressed me (even though he's injured) and I would like to see what he can do in the longterm at WR. On second thought, a WR in the 5th round, a high-risk/high reward player maybe!

Do most of our linebackers stink or is it the coaching at that position that is subpar? I don't know..can't even remember the LB's coaches name! But regardless we probably need one or two LB's next draft.

Definitely need a DT.,,A big stout guy in the middle who can plug things up and stop the run!! That should help tremendously and immediately add some wins!

I would still want an OLT drafted high & either move someone else to RT where Cornell Green was before he went out...or draft someone.

I'd like to think the Bills will reconsider and utilize free agency to pick up a quality OLT or ORT ! We lose players to FA, so it's someone else's turn to! Ralph needs a full pocket of cash for that to happen though, and I don't think that he will splurge!

I'm sure there are other needs..maybe a Safety, a true shutdown corner as I have not been impressed this year with are CB's. They get burned too often...it could also be the design of the defense which has changed a couple of times.

A lot to consider, and maybe it's not really that simple, and it may depend on many factors including Ralph's sincerity to REALLY try to right this ship, as it has been sinking for quite a while!

Edited by tonyjustbcuz

You have to be careful about value in the first round. If you don't think any of the QBs are the next coming of Jim Kelly, trade down and get 2 first round picks if you can. Take a seriously dangerous pass rushing DE or LB, then grab a big DT for middle. In the 2nd start working on depth for the OL and LBs. We don't have any.

If trading down is the mentality (and it's probably a good idea given the number of holes and lack of depth) i really hope we dont end up with #1 overall. Just too hard to find a trade partner for that slot. 2 thru 5 would be a lot easier for a potential partner to deal for.

I dont think Chan will go out of his way to get a qb, but the Bills really need a a defensive player in the worst way. The front seven look like a second rate college team at times. It's not by fault, but too many 4-3 players instead of 3-4. I really see a d-lineman 1st, LB 2nd, TE 3rd, D-lineman 4th, oline5th.

If Fitzpatrick continues to look good and the D is going to be a 3-4, then a big play making linebacker is what we need first.

If Fitzpatrick continues to look good and the D is going to be a 4-3, then a pass rushing DE is what we need first.

If Fitzpatrick struggles then identifying a franchise qb is key and needs to taken first.

Rounds 2-4 should be a combination of DL, OL, LB, maybe even a TE instead of one of the other positions.

The needs at DLine are in a distant third behind the needs at OLine which are a distant second behind the needs at LB.

In fact, I might so far as to say because DLine is such a distant third behind the two greatest needs, it might even rival the need for a legitimate SS.

In my mind, the Bills needs are the following:

Defensive Coordinator. I know they have an issue with personel, but I do not think it is all personel.

Quarterback: Fitz is looking good, but if the Bills can get a hall of famer, well do what you gotta do.

Right Tackle: This is a major weakness.

Outside Linebackers: There is no pass rush. Maybin is looking like a bust.

Left Tackle: At the very least they need depth.

Inside Linebackers: They need playmakers.

With that in mind, if Luck come out they should grab him. Otherwise, I think they should select Marcell Dareus. They need help. I think the defensive line is serviceable, but they should reach for need so high in the first round. They need playmakers.

With the second selection, they should select Joseph Barksdale, OT from LSU. Or they could go Akeem Ayers from UCLA at outside linebacker if he is available. I think they should get the linebackers in the second and third rounds since this is a good area to get quality starters. I absolutely want them to avoid Robert Quinn, who seems like another Marshawn Lynch to me, and I do not care about his talent level.

Steven Friday in the third, another rush outside linebacker. Then use the two fourth round picks on TE and OT.

I would be very happy if they focused on defense, then selected the quarterback in two years, since it is much easier to develop a quarterback when there is a quality team around him.

If Fitzpatrick continues to look good and the D is going to be a 3-4, then a big play making linebacker is what we need first.

If Fitzpatrick continues to look good and the D is going to be a 4-3, then a pass rushing DE is what we need first.

If Fitzpatrick struggles then identifying a franchise qb is key and needs to taken first.

Rounds 2-4 should be a combination of LB, LB, DL, OL.

This is right on. I just adjusted your post a little.

I think this year maybe bpa available again. Reaching for needs is what got us into this mess whether it was a rb to replace mcgahee or a cb to replace clements. I think if fitz keeps performing qb could be addressed in the second rnd w a ponder type pick... if he's the best bpa

I am surprised at how well Fitz is doing - we were told that Chan had a history of turning around QBs, but after the Trent debacle I was a bit skeptical. Here we are though mid-season putting up good offensive numbers - numbers, that if we had even an average defense, would be enough for us to win games.

I think we take the best d-linemen available (unless at our position there is a consensus all-pro linebacker available). What I don't want to hear is "potential" or "upside".

After that go defense line or linebacker again.

After that shore up our O-Line

After that - special teams players or the next best QB depending on how Brohm and the "other guy" look in camp.

Just my OHO

I'm always curious to know what would happen if the Bills just picked according to the prominent mock drafts out there. I mean, c'mon, they could not possibly do worse than what Modrak and his crew do? I realize you still need real scouts to interview players, etc.. but still, I'd like to know who the main mocks had us taking the last few years. That would be the simplest draft strategy of all!

I'm always curious to know what would happen if the Bills just picked according to the prominent mock drafts out there. I mean, c'mon, they could not possibly do worse than what Modrak and his crew do? I realize you still need real scouts to interview players, etc.. but still, I'd like to know who the main mocks had us taking the last few years. That would be the simplest draft strategy of all!

Mayock's mock draft had the Bills taking Maybin.

He had Orakpo going @ 18.

I said this before, the fact that we're heading for a 0-16, to a best case 4-12 season means that 5 years ago you took 10 random dudes from this board and make them Bills management, they COULD NOT DO ANY WORSE.

But mocks are bred from mocks and other mocks, there isn't any real new information out there, just a bunch of fans that rehash, Scouts INC, Rivals, and the Mane from Bal'more. Its not that difficult to put together a 2 round mock. After the first two rounds, thats where the experts at One Bills Drive should be earning their paychecks. Its easy to pick from the top 75 Talent in college football its much more difficult after that.

Maybi was just such a clear undersized, tweener with no college PT, it had bust written all over from Day 1. For a team that needed a home run why take all the risk with Maybi? It was stupid and so out of touch it just showed that there is no understanding of how to draft; Especially when Orakpo was there. Not only will that go down as the worst pick in Bills' history, it could go down as the worst pick in NFL history or Major Professional Sports history, right after Sam Bowie over Jordan.

Fitz has a great day and now people are saying go defense. Bell has a good game and now people say defense. I think it's early yet to put in suggestions on a draft. What if Moats starts lighting up the qbs and has a great game of 3 sacks and a fumble recovery? Do people start saying go with cornerbacks and safeties? This is all I'm saying about the threads. I do agree that the defense needs a huge lift and a pass rushhing wrecking machine or a LB that will hit holes like no other. I think Chan is using this year still to bring Brohm up to speed and teach him to try and take the job away from Fritz. Jackson and Spiller will be our backs for a long time, and just maybe Bell turns out to be good. The front seven on defense needs to get much better really fast. I think free agents will come knocking and we will build through the draft. Troup will help next year, but Williams and Troup are not what we need up front. Stroud is fine, but we need that one two punch in a 3-4. I think Chais starting to build something very special in Buffalo. Even if the Bills don't even win a game, looking at it from the outside in, the Bills are looking different. 3 years and the Bills will be top contenders again.

I say either trade first pick and grab all the def, and linebackers to build that up. WE NEED TO STOP THE RUN!!! While being able to defend the pass. If we had linebackers, and a line that could stop the run by themselves we wouldn't need safeties in run stop mode. Especially in December, we need to make teams have to throw the ball. If we get them into that, we have a chance to win. We need to pick up a linebacker or a converted safety that can keep up with TE's they are killing us.