The thinnest of silver linings regarding Maybin

MattyT

I am no coach, but to me Maybin still looks like a work in progress. He's all elbows and knees when he's out there - still looks like he's growing into his body (reminds me of my teenage son - just not yet aware of where he is in space - always bumping into things/people and a tad uncoordinated.) Let him sit and learn - he's so young and inexperienced. We knew he was a project when they drafted him. Yes, they never should have drafted him, but that's water under the bridge. He's here and he can sit until the OLB Coach-Sanders & DC-Edwards feel he's ready to play or until they feel he's a bust and release him. We need to focus on the guys giving us the best chance to win and Maybin is not yet ready.

The kid is still only 22 years old but it doesn't appear that he has that football instinct to succeed on the NFL level and you can't teach that. This was all Jauron's doing. You don't pick a project player with a high pick like that when you have a bad team full of needs. I want this kid to succeed and be a contributor on defense, but I just don't see it happening.

The kid is still only 22 years old but it doesn't appear that he has that football instinct to succeed on the NFL level and you can't teach that. This was all Jauron's doing. You don't pick a project player with a high pick like that when you have a bad team full of needs. I want this kid to succeed and be a contributor on defense, but I just don't see it happening.

His "instinct" is getting crushed by full-grown NFL players. I'm not saying he will develop into anything but I do think that he's still not done growing. We drafted a flippin' kid to play a man's game. Bad pick, no question. But let's not get emotional and toss him before we know what we have in Maybin. I figure he's got next training camp or else.

PTR

At least we didn't draft him at 8... :rolleyes:

From Twitter: del rio onfirmed what the players said..derrick harvey has been benched..he is now one of the great busts in teamhistory 8th pick in draft

Wow, click this link and read the story on the Jags 2008 draft class. Makes the Modrak/Jauron/Levy/Brandon era look like Bill Polian esque

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/10/27/jaguars-bench-derrick-harvey-acquired-in-coach-killing-trade/'>http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/10/27/jaguars-bench-derrick-harvey-acquired-in-coach-killing-trade/

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/10/27/jaguars-bench-derrick-harvey-acquired-in-coach-killing-trade/

I do think it is still way too early to call him a bust and he is still very young. Keep in mind many in Seattle are calling Aaron Curry a bust as well as he was the 4th overall pick in that draft and gave very mediocre production. The draft is a complete crapshoot which is why I never understand people on this board wanting the Bills to tank for a high draft pick. There is at least a 50/50 chance the player is not good.

People seem to love Andrew Luck on this board yet criticize Maybin and forget that Luck is a one year wonder to date as well. He had like 11 TD passes all of last year and now is a superstar? That is one good year in college just like Maybin. Hopefully Maybin does use this as motivation and they find a way for him to use his great athletic ability

Wow, click this link and read the story on the Jags 2008 draft class. Makes the Modrak/Jauron/Levy/Brandon era look like Bill Polian esque

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/10/27/jaguars-bench-derrick-harvey-acquired-in-coach-killing-trade/'>http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/10/27/jaguars-bench-derrick-harvey-acquired-in-coach-killing-trade/

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/10/27/jaguars-bench-derrick-harvey-acquired-in-coach-killing-trade/

Wow...forgot about the trade to move up...I should update the original post!

From Twitter: del rio onfirmed what the players said..derrick harvey has been benched..he is now one of the great busts in teamhistory 8th pick in draft

No, we spent that pick on Whhitner (albeit couple years earlier...)

His "instinct" is getting crushed by full-grown NFL players. I'm not saying he will develop into anything but I do think that he's still not done growing. We drafted a flippin' kid to play a man's game. Bad pick, no question. But let's not get emotional and toss him before we know what we have in Maybin. I figure he's got next training camp or else.

PTR

Bruce Smith went through pretty much the same drill. Wasn't ready to play when he came in, stunk up the joint, got his stuff together by year 3 and away he went. Maybin may be similar. Cocky, overhyped, gets B word slapped, gains a few pounds and a little humility, and away he may go sometime next year...

I am no coach, but to me Maybin still looks like a work in progress. He's all elbows and knees when he's out there - still looks like he's growing into his body (reminds me of my teenage son - just not yet aware of where he is in space - always bumping into things/people and a tad uncoordinated.) Let him sit and learn - he's so young and inexperienced. We knew he was a project when they drafted him. Yes, they never should have drafted him, but that's water under the bridge. He's here and he can sit until the OLB Coach-Sanders & DC-Edwards feel he's ready to play or until they feel he's a bust and release him. We need to focus on the guys giving us the best chance to win and Maybin is not yet ready.

I agree , but one has to wonder if Sanders and Edwards coaching abilities , or lack thereof , have something to do with his unimproved play.

Edited by stevecana

We cant even Bench Maybin bc he never started and doesnt play

Bruce Smith went through pretty much the same drill. Wasn't ready to play when he came in, stunk up the joint, got his stuff together by year 3 and away he went. Maybin may be similar. Cocky, overhyped, gets B word slapped, gains a few pounds and a little humility, and away he may go sometime next year...

No he did'nt. Bruce came in at 300 lbs. slimmed down and kicked ass the next season. Maybin weighs 215 soak and wet and has 1/10 the humbleness of The Bruce Smith.

No he did'nt. Bruce came in at 300 lbs. slimmed down and kicked ass the next season. Maybin weighs 215 soak and wet and has 1/10 the humbleness of The Bruce Smith.

Is that the same Bruce Smith who wore a NFL HOF 2009 jacket w/ the letters in duct tape before he was even inducted?

I don't see the similarity. Bruce had some issues early in his career, but he was still productive as a rookie, with 6.5 sacks and 48 tackles. In his second season, all he did was post 15 sacks.

Unfortunately for Maybin, as everyone says, his next big play will be his first one.