Most UNDER Rated Band

truth on hold

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Callahan is amazing. Califone I'm a big fan of--have you heard Red Red Meat? Everyone from Califone was also in RRM. For my money their Bunny Got Paid album is one of the best LPs from the 90s. I'm going to second Palace/Bonnie "Prince" Billy/Will Oldham/Superwolf/whatever else he's calling himself.

RRM is probably underrated by definition. Good choice.

I'll third Mr. Oldham. I was going to mention him before but didn't, thinking that he does get his critical due. He is really putting himself up there with Cohen and Haggard and Jennings as a folk/country songwriter, though, and he does a whole lot more than that. The Superwolf tour with Sweeney in tow at Bowery Ballroom is right up there with the best shows I've ever seen.

Couple of quick one from my era...

1. Tesla-Haad a couple oaf hits,but never quite made it...Greta music

2.Cinderella-great band from sunny Binghamton...somebody save Me...still rocks.

3.Todd Rundgren-poor man's Gabriel..great musical influences.

4.Triumph. The power trio from Canada that isn't Rush(luv them too)

There are more...back soon with more...

Every time I hear Cake, i think its They Might Be Giants. Good call!

Cake.

Easily one of the most talented bands to reach the airwaives over the last two decades, but are primarily known for randomly selected radio songs that seldom do justice to the bands greatness. Quirky lyrics and and undefinable style may keep them out of the limelight but are part of what makes them great.

I had a roommate back in the mid 90s that had a Dream Theater video, and those guys are masters of their instruments. Not sure about their song writing abilities, but they definitely rock out. Strangely, I haven't heard their name mentioned in about 15 yrs.

oh hell yeah!!!!!! :thumbsup:

and another 'Oh Hell Yeah'!!!! :thumbsup:

Bonnie "Prince" Billy (aka Will Oldham) is probably the best songwriter of the past 20 years. And has been going at it since 1993. But sad, folky music never gets mainstream recognition.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Will_Oldham

I dont even know what song to link here as "his best", so I'll just link my favorite...

youtube.com/watch?v=biFEuJUQMmY

If he's been under-rated, he wont be anymore. Dude has the most commercially popular song out right now. It's almost hard to escape this one.

That CD was released over two years ago but it's good to see he's getting some recognition. He's concerts are a blast.

Here's nutha band: Tea Leaf Green

Thanks to all for many great suggestions. I like when y'all provide samples so I can get enough of a taste to get hungry, so I'll do the same.

The Reverend Horton Heat

Keller Williams

Freaker by the Speaker

Galactic

Cineramascope

I'll add Galactic....

You bastard, you beat me while I was grabbing links :lol:

My Morning Jacket

Authority Zero

G Love

Good calls with Authority Zero and G. Love. :thumbsup:

Somebody else mentioned Cake which I agree with.

I'll add:

-The White Stripes

-Modest Mouse

-Animal Collective

-Streetlight Manifesto

-A.L.O.

-State Radio

Couple of quick one from my era...

1. Tesla-Haad a couple oaf hits,but never quite made it...Greta music

2.Cinderella-great band from sunny Binghamton...somebody save Me...still rocks.

3.Todd Rundgren-poor man's Gabriel..great musical influences.

4.Triumph. The power trio from Canada that isn't Rush(luv them too)

There are more...back soon with more...

I'll totally agree with Cinderella. They get lumped in with the stupid hair metal thing--but actually a real good band. Sleazy party metal--good stuff. A few of those glam bands are kind of under rated: hanoi Rocks, Wasp, Jetboy, LA Guns, Kix. That may be it. Can't think of another. Oh, Junkyard. Ok, that's it.

OLD 97's

I love this band. Not crazy about the solo work of Rhett Miller, but as a band, this band puts out consistanly great records, and nobody buys them...they are one of the better live acts you will see, if you just like a high energy, meat and potatoes band. Miller is a really great songwriter, and has a way with the turn of a phrase...

Edited by Buftex

Not sure if they're rated or not... but a friend just introduced me to the Black Keys. (I guess my dyslexia always confused them with the black-eyed peas or something)

But if you like crunchin blues with slammin drums....

Marshall Tucker was always an underrated band, IMO. They were slapped together with the other "Southern Rock" groups of the day but were clearly superior to most of them. Yes like many bands their later albums were substandard, but they had quite a long run of quality output.

Here's an example: