What NFL rules would you change?

BuffaloinLA

the "going to the ground rule"......a.k.a. Calvin Johnson rule....

guy had two feet and a rear end down.......

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/09/13/the-n-f-l-s-worst-rule-going-to-the-ground/

From the video, it looks like to me if he had just hung onto the ball instead of running off to celebrate a TD, they would have awarded the touchdown.

I've always thought it would be cool if you were awarded points for putting the kickoff through the goal posts. Wouldn't happen very often, but should be rewarded.

When I worked for the American Indoor Football League (now the American Indoor Football Association) it was a rule, here it is....

6. One (1) point will be awarded to the kicking team if the kicker, on any kickoff, kicks the football through the uprights and over the crossbar. In addition, if the receiving team, after securing possession in the end zone, fails to return the ball out of the end zone, one (1) point will be awarded to the kicking team. Placement will be the receivers 5 yard line, opposite the QBs throwing arm, after a successful 1 point Uno.

Edited by Just Jack

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some great ideas here. I like the catch and possession ideas presented.

I'd like to see the TD rules modified to where you actually need to get the ball into the endzone for it to be a TD. I can't stand it when a player reaches out, lets the ball touch the goal line, and then brings it back to himself before he gets tackled at the 1. If you want to score a TD, then get your ass and the ball into the endzone.

Some great ideas here. I like the catch and possession ideas presented.

I'd like to see the TD rules modified to where you actually need to get the ball into the endzone for it to be a TD. I can't stand it when a player reaches out, lets the ball touch the goal line, and then brings it back to himself before he gets tackled at the 1. If you want to score a TD, then get your ass and the ball into the endzone.

So they'd need to get the ball and their ass in the endzone?

If you could change some NFL rules what would you change?

I will propose a few:

1) if you win a challenge, you don't lose a challenge in the future Obviously a good idea.

2) you can not call time out a split second before a FG This too.

3) make the goal posts closer together - Field goal kickers are now just too good and it prevents teams from going for it on 4th down I've been saying this for a long time.

1. Do away with the one point PAT. How often is it missed, I usually take a toilet break during the PAT. Make them go for 2 points every score. Love it.

Just two:

1.) Make pass interference a 15-yard penalty. Yes. Although that would make defenses like the Jets ubiquitous. Pass interference would become relatively common.

When I worked for the American Indoor Football League (now the American Indoor Football Association) it was a rule, here it is....

6. One (1) point will be awarded to the kicking team if the kicker, on any kickoff, kicks the football through the uprights and over the crossbar. In addition, if the receiving team, after securing possession in the end zone, fails to return the ball out of the end zone, one (1) point will be awarded to the kicking team. Placement will be the receiver’s 5 yard line, opposite the QB’s throwing arm, after a successful 1 point Uno. Nice. This would replace the extra point. You would only get it if you could do either of the above.

Here's a couple from me:

1) Allow multiple members of the the offensive team to be in motion before the snap, including forward motion. It makes no sense that the defense can be jumping around, changing looks, showing "amoeba" defenses while the offense gets called for illegal motion if they flinch.

2) Also, allow offensive players to block downfield on throws behind the line of scrimmage like the do in college.

Here's a couple from me:

1) Allow multiple members of the the offensive team to be in motion before the snap, including forward motion. It makes no sense that the defense can be jumping around, changing looks, showing "amoeba" defenses while the offense gets called for illegal motion if they flinch.

2) Also, allow offensive players to block downfield on throws behind the line of scrimmage like the do in college.

I think #1 is insane...

#2 not sure that's the case is it? IDK though...

I would make a rule that the entertainment for the Super Bowl halftime show must have been on the Billboard charts within the last 5 years.

Haha it is fun watching a whole stadium boo "Destiny's Child" so I may agree...

I would make a rule that the entertainment for the Super Bowl halftime show must have been on the Billboard charts within the last 5 years must be no longer than 12 minutes, just like every other game.

Fixed. Halftime only needs to be long enough to 1) take a leak, 2) get a fresh beer, 3) refill your plate.

Get rid of the stupid "excessive" celebration penalty after a TD. Players celebrate more after a sack than they do a TD. It's just dumb and doesn't slow the game down at all.

Get rid of the challenge flag, review thing all together. Put another ref in the booth that can look at the replays and call the proper decision down to field. Why do they need to stop the game and make the guy walk to the sideline and waste all that time? Why give the HC the responsibility of "policing" the refs and penalize him if he's wrong?

While they're at it... make the refs full time employees of the NFL. Why are they part timers anyway? Makes no sense.

Stop treating the QBs like they're wearing a skirt. If a QB a QB takes off running, he's fair game just like a RB -no slide crap. If the league wants to protect their QBs, tell them to stay in the pocket.

I know there's furor over the bad hits and all lately. But, they have to find some way to distinguish between a deliberate blow to the head and an inadvertent hand touching the QBs head, or the safety hitting the WR legally, but in the process of the tackle someone's head drops and they make contact.

Take the stupid tuck rule off the books, completely.

What would the refs do from Feb to July?

Here's a couple from me:

#2 exists right now unless I misunderstand your point.

Block in the back should not be a penalty. Don't put yourself into a position to be blocked. Period. If you get blocked, you get blocked. Outman someone.

When the offensive team is in a position where a penalty would be "half the distance to the goal" (see: pinned deep) all defensive penalties should be worth half the yardage they would normally be. If the offense only get 2 yards for a false start because they're on the 4, the defense should only get 2 yards for an offside.

No fair catch. It would make the position of punter MUCH more important on the team. No, this won't lead to people dying, it would lead to more guys letting the ball go because they don't want to die, and therefore teams pinned deep.

Not a rule, but it's ABSURD that we have to watch to 70 year old men walk onto the field to measure a close first down call. We're relying solely on the first guy putting his marker down in the middle of the field exactly where it was on the sideline. Put a chip in the football, use some lasers, and knock it off.

No fair catch. It would make the position of punter MUCH more important on the team. No, this won't lead to people dying, it would lead to more guys letting the ball go because they don't want to die, and therefore teams pinned deep.

The XFL had that rule.

#2 exists right now unless I misunderstand your point.

No. In the NFL offensive linemen cannot go downfield and block until a pass behind the line of scrimmage has been completed. If the do, then they are ineligibly downfield. This makes is difficult for them to get into position to make their blocks on most quick screens. In college (and high school), linemen can block downfield on any pass behind the line of scrimmage as soon as the ball is snapped (and defensive players can hit any offensive player that is coming at them until a pass is thrown). That is why you see so many bubble screens and jailbreak screens in college but very few in the NFL.

I think #1 is insane...

#2 not sure that's the case is it? IDK though...

#1 is basically what they allow in the CFL. It's a lot of fun to watch and allows for much more creativity, IMO. Granted, it would give the offenses a tremendous boost.

The should at least allow offensive players to be moving before the snap as long as they are not going forward. This would eliminate much of the advantage while still allowing for more creativity in play design. It would also eliminate the ridiculous "false start" penalties. Unless an offensive player crosses the LOS, there should be no penalty, IMO. I mean, what's the big deal by a tackle flinching? What advantage has he gained over the defense? Especially when the defense can do it without penalty.

Cool. There are lots of good ideas in this thread!

Edited by vincec