QB In The 1st Is IS Worth It ??

T master

1st Rounders !! :oops:

J.P. Losman, David Carr, Joey Harrington, Tim Couch, Patrick Ramsey, Rex Grossman,

Byron Lefwich, Matt Lienart, Kyle Boller, Jason Campbell, Brady Quinn,

:cry: Jamarcus Russell

2nd Rounders & Lower draft picks !! :thumbsup:

Drew Brees #2, Marc Bulger #6, Tom Brady #6, David Garrard #4, Josh McCowan #3

Seneca Wallace #4, Bruce Gradkowski #6, Tyler Thigpen #7, Kevin Kolb #2, Kyle Ortin #4

Then Undrafted Free Agents !! :o

Kurt Warner SuperBowl Champion QB, Tony Romo, Jake Delhomme Superbowl QB,

Jeff Garcia , Jon Kitna

What i am trying to get at is, with the amount of money you have to put out to get a 1st round QB in the draft is IMHO way to much of a chance & sets the team back years if you miss both in salary and player production . I believe it all starts in the trenches !! If you can't give a QB protection (with out a Micheal Vick) your doomed !!

All of the a fore mentioned QB's that were later round picks that have had success have had average or above average O lines have done very well .

So i know that in true Ralph Wilson fashion he's already stated QB was a priority & i believe he will take a shot at a first rounder & take the chance.

But wouldn't it make more sense to draft great lineman (as long as draft homework is #1 priority) in the first round and along with more extensive draft homework on QB's take one in later rounds in order to have less risk all the way around .

IT ALL STARTS IN THE TRENCHES !!!!

Just a reaction to some of the posts that i've read saying we need a QB as our first rounder . Go ahead Bills fans tear it apart as usual .

Edited by T master

1st Rounders !! :oops:

J.P. Losman, David Carr, Joey Harrington, Tim Couch, Patrick Ramsey, Rex Grossman,

Byron Lefwich, Matt Lienart, Kyle Boller, Jason Campbell, Brady Quinn,

:cry: Jamarcus Russell

2nd Rounders & Lower draft picks !! :thumbsup:

Drew Brees #2, Marc Bulger #6, Tom Brady #6, David Garrard #4, Josh McCowan #3

Seneca Wallace #4, Bruce Gradkowski #6, Tyler Thigpen #7, Kevin Kolb #2, Kyle Ortin #4

Then Undrafted Free Agents !! :o

Kurt Warner SuperBowl Champion QB, Tony Romo, Jake Delhomme Superbowl QB,

Jeff Garcia , Jon Kitna

What i am trying to get at is, with the amount of money you have to put out to get a 1st round QB in the draft is IMHO way to much of a chance & sets the team back years if you miss both in salary and player production . I believe it all starts in the trenches !! If you can't give a QB protection (with out a Micheal Vick) your doomed !!

All of the a fore mentioned QB's that were later round picks that have had success have had average or above average O lines have done very well .

So i know that in true Ralph Wilson fashion he's already stated QB was a priority & i believe he will take a shot at a first rounder & take the chance.

But wouldn't it make more sense to draft great lineman (as long as draft homework is #1 priority) in the first round and along with more extensive draft homework on QB's take one in later rounds in order to have less risk all the way around .

IT ALL STARTS IN THE TRENCHES !!!!

Just a reaction to some of the posts that i've read saying we need a QB as our first rounder . Go ahead Bills fans tear it apart as usual .

So you left out all the successful 1st-rounders and will be surprised you get ripped??

Go to http://www.drafthistory.com/positions/qb.html and look at all the successes and failures at QB in various rounds, then look at other positions in the first round.

The fact is busts abound at all positions, and QB is actually no worse than any other.

Would you prefer we draft the next Aaron Maybin (DE), Eric Flowers (DE), Mike Williams (OT), or Tony Manadarich (OT)?

I believe in building the lines first too, but the truth - when you actually look at the draft history - is that you can screw those picks up too.

The safest 1st-rounders have been TE's, btw, but it's also rare that a TE has been viewed as a round one talent.

Bottom line is that the best move is to not reach at all, take the best player available (within reason considering team needs) and hope your scouting department didn't screw up.

Do please also look at the history of the Super Bowl - just over half the starting QB's were first-rounders.

http://www.drafthistory.com/superbowl_quarterbacks.html

Edited by BobChalmers

quite frankly, one of the silliest posts ive seen on this board. are you really implying that we have better odds at drafting a brady in the 6th, then manning in the 1st?

Also are....

David Garrard #4, Josh McCowan #3 Seneca Wallace #4, Bruce Gradkowski #6, Tyler Thigpen #7, Kevin Kolb.....

anything to write home about? if those are among the best, they are pretty on par with many of your first round busts.

Have some balls and take a chance. For example, you can't just go through life not asking girls out just because they might say no. Likewise, you take a chance on drafting a QB because it can change your franchise in a way that no other position can. If you have a good QB, your team will have a chance at the playoffs every year.

Besides, you can draft busts at any position, not just QB.

I think the Bills need to keep drafting quarterbacks until they find a franchise quarterback. That is the one lesson I took away from San Diego. Sure, they missed on Leaf, but they drafted Drew Brees and Phillip Rivers. Keep going until you get the quarterback. They have the longest careers, and they have the most important position.

quite frankly, one of the silliest posts ive seen on this board. are you really implying that we have better odds at drafting a brady in the 6th, then manning in the 1st?

Also are....

David Garrard #4, Josh McCowan #3 Seneca Wallace #4, Bruce Gradkowski #6, Tyler Thigpen #7, Kevin Kolb.....

anything to write home about? if those are among the best, they are pretty on par with many of your first round busts.

Really - and here's just the current starters (18 of 32 NFL teams) who were drafted in the 1-st round the OP conveniently ignored:

STL Bradford 1-1

DET Stafford 1-1

NYJ Sanchez 1-5

TBB Freeman 1-17

ATL Ryan 1-3

BAL Flacco 1-18

TEN Young 1-3

CHI Cutler 1-11

SFO Smith 1-1

GBP Rodgers 1-24

OAK Campbell 1-25

NYG Manning 1-1

SDC Rivers 1-4

PIT Roethelsberger 1-11

CIN Palmer 1-1

PHI Vick 1-1

WAS McNabb 1-2

IND Manning 1-1

If we get the #1 pick or close to it, we grab Andrew Luck and like it.

Edited by BobChalmers

We had our shots to get lucky with a lower draft pick QB and didn't get lucky. We need one badly and we need one soon. The best shot to get one is to draft one early in the first round. I HATE drafting a QB in the first round, but I think that we should. Assuming that Nix thinks there is one left that's any good of course by the time our pick is as I trust his judgment waay more than mine.

for every ryan leaf there´s a peyton manning. and vice versa :D

now, i truly think that you build from ground up. there is no need to build a roof before your foundation is set.

but then again, the state our bills are in you cant pass on a franchise QB.

though here is fear the current FO wont recognize one if hes throwing a perfect spiral right on their noses.............

Edited by playman

So you left out all the successful 1st-rounders and will be surprised you get ripped??

Go to http://www.drafthistory.com/positions/qb.html and look at all the successes and failures at QB in various rounds, then look at other positions in the first round.

The fact is busts abound at all positions, and QB is actually no worse than any other.

Would you prefer we draft the next Aaron Maybin (DE), Eric Flowers (DE), Mike Williams (OT), or Tony Manadarich (OT)?

I believe in building the lines first too, but the truth - when you actually look at the draft history - is that you can screw those picks up too.

The safest 1st-rounders have been TE's, btw, but it's also rare that a TE has been viewed as a round one talent.

Bottom line is that the best move is to not reach at all, take the best player available (within reason considering team needs) and hope your scouting department didn't screw up.

Do please also look at the history of the Super Bowl - just over half the starting QB's were first-rounders.

http://www.drafthistory.com/superbowl_quarterbacks.html

Good post. I actually wouldn't mind the Bills drafting a QB with their first pick, given of course that the right player is there. If not, then we need to rebuild this team from the inside-out. Draft a monster, QB eating 3-4 defensive end with the first pick.

Well, if they draft the next Peyton Manning, then Buddy Nix will get his ass crowned.

If they draft another bust, it'll be another 7 or more year run of bad football and another failed regime or three before they recover from it (as it was for the Losman Disaster).

This draft appears to be unique in that there (at least for now) doesn't appear to be a top 5 Left Tackle. This, the certainty that the Bills will be selecting early, and the fact that there seems to be a lot of QBs would seem to indicate that we go in that direction.

If Ryan Mallett develops, he is capable of saving this franchise imo. THAT is how much talent he has. The kid throws passes that others simply cannot. There isn't a throw he can't make, and he had the size to see the entire field. If he stays healthy, count me as one who thinks that the Bills need to take a chance on a kid like this.

The OL (other than the LT position) can probably be fixed with free agents, and LBs are not hard for good organizations to find. This team really can be fixed imo. Lets hope.

This draft appears to be unique in that there (at least for now) doesn't appear to be a top 5 Left Tackle. This, the certainty that the Bills will be selecting early, and the fact that there seems to be a lot of QBs would seem to indicate that we go in that direction.

If Ryan Mallett develops, he is capable of saving this franchise imo. THAT is how much talent he has. The kid throws passes that others simply cannot. There isn't a throw he can't make, and he had the size to see the entire field. If he stays healthy, count me as one who thinks that the Bills need to take a chance on a kid like this.

The OL (other than the LT position) can probably be fixed with free agents, and LBs are not hard for good organizations to find. This team really can be fixed imo. Lets hope.

You have to take chances to be good. There is no doubt that the Bills desperately need a franchise QB that will lead the franchise from the field.

On the other hand and looking at recent drafts and decisions made, it wouldn't be all that surprising if the Bills got a wild hair of goofiness and took some athlete like, oh say, Terrelle Pryor #1 overall and bypass the next Peyton Manning (if there is one).

Edit: And the Panthers suck real bad too. The Bills may be eclipsed in their race to the bottom by the Panthers, which had the same sort of brain storm this year apparently. People aren't going to be happy to pick #2 and get the Ryan Leaf while the Panthers get the Peyton.

Edited by Sisyphean Bills

People aren't going to be happy to pick #2 and get the Ryan Leaf while the Panthers get the Peyton.

Interesting that you say this. An expert that I know compares Mallett to Leaf in terms of pure talent. I did not know that Leaf was that talented. What I can tell you is that I saw Mallet (on youtube) throw a 50 yard post pattern without moving his feet. Yeah....I am talking flat footed and it was a rope. I never saw anyone do this. Perhaps Favre could; I don't know.

Mallett isn't complete like Elway or Bert Jones (don't know if you ever saw him). He isn't very mobile. Picture Big Ben with a much better arm than Dan Marino. My years watching football tell me that a team absolutely has to grab him early, and I mean very early. He can bust out, but again, he has circus like talent.

At this point the Bills have little to lose, and imo it really is time to take a chance with someone with this much potential. I picture Fitz as his mentor, and see unlimited possibilities.

Again, we shall see.