A dose of reality for the hysteria

Alphadawg7

Man, this board is total freak out mode right now. Lets look at some hot points and why some people need to just relax. I mean, I was optimistic about progress this season but even I knew that it was very possible it could get worse before it gets better.

1. How bad we are: This is, and always has been, a rebuilding year. We were never supposed to be any good this year. Sure, there was some optimism, but a lot of things needed to go right for that to come true like a QB emerging for instance. One draft and offseason isnt going to solve this teams problems. So knowing that, why all the freaking out?

2. CJ Spiller: Dam, talk about freaking out. Many are already calling him a bust or a back not capable of being an every down RB because they are bringing him along slowly. Those people need to realize there is FAR more into playing RB in the NFL than just rushing the ball. Our O Line is atrocious, and our RB must be able to be effective at pass protection and pick up blitzes consistently right now and thats not something young RB's just come into the league and excel at typically.

Compounding it further, when he is in the back field it increases the likely hood of a run play allowing the D gear up for it...this is because he isnt up to par in pass protection/blitz pickup yet and is more likely in there to run the ball or catch a screen than pass block. That is a massive advantage for the D.

3. Trent Edwards: If anyone is confused as to why he was named a starter then they just didnt follow this team in the offseason as he won the job. Further more, if anyone is confused why he was benched and cut, then they just werent watching the games as he proved without a doubt he just isnt the same guy when the games count. The cutting of Trent alone is a great move for this team...no more pussification of the team and no controversies.

4. Lynch being traded: First off, Lynch is a good back, not a great back. He has potential to be a great back, but he has yet to reach it. He was beaten out by an UDFA in Fred Jackson who is in his late 20's because he dances too much at the line and doesnt hit holes as effectively. Need proof...compare YPC of him and FJ behind the same OL...case closed. Not to mention, he is one burp at the wrong moment away from a year long suspension.

FJ runs hard, has relatively low mileage on his legs and should be effective for 2 to 3 more years and is now paired with Spiller who can take it to the house on any given play. We went from Thunder and "Dance too much" Thunder to Thunder and Lightning which is a better combo. Lynch would be gone after his contract was up anyway. So at some point we were going to have to trade him, and we need draft picks NOW not later.

5. Lee Evans: You people need to get a grip. One day you scream all over the place of how cheap Ralph is, now you wont shut up about Lee's contract being so big, when its really not since it was front loaded. Lee is NOT holding any young players back...Lee is NOT taking up cap space we cant afford...Lee is NOT causing a distraction...Lee is NOT washed up...Lee IS worth more than a 4th round draft pick.

Funny thing is that some you people screaming to trade him are some of the same people upset that all we got is a 4th for Lynch and claiming how the 4th is not very much for a talented player. Even more funny is that we dont NEED to keep Lynch, but we are already short handed at WR. Given Moss went for a 3rd, that would mean that Lee could maybe get a 3rd (he is younger, and seen as a very talented WR around the league) or more likely a 4th right now. So how is that more valuable to a team that MUST groom a young QB who will need WR's to throw to? Either Brohm or some rookie will be under center soon, and they will need weapons.

6. Evaluating Chan/Nix: Again, get a grip. They came into this mess, they didnt make this mess. They have had 4, yes just 4, games (against vastly more talented teams) together and you are already blasting them as if the lack of talent on this team is their doing. They are being forced to work with what they have and it will take a season or two before they can really put their stamp on this team.

Edited by Alphadawg7

I understand they are rebuilding. I expected them to lose a lot this year.

I just don't think they are doing a good job of rebuilding so far, simple as that.

I don't really like any of their moves, and I don't like that the rest of the NFL constantly laughs at how inept they are.

Nice, sober analysis.

Too bad the Lynch deal hadn't been done in time to keep Joique Bell on the roster, he showed some promise.

I agree...I would have liked to have kept Bell. At the same time though, I think the smart play though was to wait until injuries happened to see if they could get more out Lynch from a desperate team. Unfortunately, teams like GB who could really use him just didnt pony up, and many in GB are not happy that Sea got him for a 4th and that GB wasnt willing to beat that.

I'm sorry, but honestly this type of post is what is wrong with the Buffalo Bills. A big part of these problems are the fans and their acceptance of mediocrity. All you did here was state of bunch of things that have happened as if they were expected all along.

Sorry, that's just ridiculous. Our head football coach is supposed to be able to identify before the season that Trent Edwards blows and cut his butt. I could see it from my living room. Our general manager is supposed to see that he is going to draft Spiller and before he pulls the surprise trigger, rob some team blind by trading Lynch to them during the draft. These are the things that are "expected", not your restatement of what has occurred as if it is all some part of a grand plan rather than what is really is...a reaction to previous poor planning.

And while I am venting, I am also tired of the "you can't turn a team around in one year" posts. These are another symbol of the fan's acceptance of the ridiculous state of the club.

This team has been trying to turn around for 10 years!! Not one year.

No, Gailey and Nix don't get a pass because "they just got here". You guys keep giving these passes out and that's why this team continues to suck. Every three years we give another set of fools a free pass to start over. Things'll never change at that rate.

I think you are painfully late with your thread. Where were you last night?

The City of Buffalo was on Fire and the only real help came from Die Hard 1967

hahaha...sorry, I had other things going on last night...I dont live in Buffalo, so it was just raining here in CA with no fires to worry about... :nana:

I understand they are rebuilding. I expected them to lose a lot this year.

I just don't think they are doing a good job of rebuilding so far, simple as that.

I don't really like any of their moves,

theyre evaluating and tearing down right now, the building starts this coming offseason. you will NOT see any moves this season that ADD talent to the roster. they are merely cleansing the roster of sub-par players.

and I don't like that the rest of the NFL constantly laughs at how inept they are.

well, the only thing that will fix that is winning, and we are far from that point right now. probably a couple years away. the Bills will be the laughing stock until they prove otherwise.

Man, this board is total freak out mode right now. Lets look at some hot points and why some people need to just relax. I mean, I was optimistic about progress this season but even I knew that it was very possible it could get worse before it gets better.

1. How bad we are: This is, and always has been, a rebuilding year. We were never supposed to be any good this year. Sure, there was some optimism, but a lot of things needed to go right for that to come true like a QB emerging for instance. One draft and offseason isnt going to solve this teams problems. So knowing that, why all the freaking out?

2. CJ Spiller: Dam, talk about freaking out. Many are already calling him a bust or a back not capable of being an every down RB because they are bringing him along slowly. Those people need to realize there is FAR more into playing RB in the NFL than just rushing the ball. Our O Line is atrocious, and our RB must be able to be effective at pass protection and pick up blitzes consistently right now and thats not something young RB's just come into the league and excel at typically.

Compounding it further, when he is in the back field it increases the likely hood of a run play allowing the D gear up for it...this is because he isnt up to par in pass protection/blitz pickup yet and is more likely in there to run the ball or catch a screen than pass block. That is a massive advantage for the D.

3. Trent Edwards: If anyone is confused as to why he was named a starter then they just didnt follow this team in the offseason as he won the job. Further more, if anyone is confused why he was benched and cut, then they just werent watching the games as he proved without a doubt he just isnt the same guy when the games count. The cutting of Trent alone is a great move for this team...no more pussification of the team and no controversies.

4. Lynch being traded: First off, Lynch is a good back, not a great back. He has potential to be a great back, but he has yet to reach it. He was beaten out by an UDFA in Fred Jackson who is in his late 20's because he dances too much at the line and doesnt hit holes as effectively. Need proof...compare YPC of him and FJ behind the same OL...case closed. Not to mention, he is one burp at the wrong moment away from a year long suspension.

FJ runs hard, has relatively low mileage on his legs and should be effective for 2 to 3 more years and is now paired with Spiller who can take it to the house on any given play. We went from Thunder and "Dance too much" Thunder to Thunder and Lightning which is a better combo. Lynch would be gone after his contract was up anyway. So at some point we were going to have to trade him, and we need draft picks NOW not later.

5. Lee Evans: You people need to get a grip. One day you scream all over the place of how cheap Ralph is, now you wont shut up about Lee's contract being so big, when its really not since it was front loaded. Lee is NOT holding any young players back...Lee is NOT taking up cap space we cant afford...Lee is NOT causing a distraction...Lee is NOT washed up...Lee IS worth more than a 4th round draft pick.

Funny thing is that some you people screaming to trade him are some of the same people upset that all we got is a 4th for Lynch and claiming how the 4th is not very much for a talented player. Even more funny is that we dont NEED to keep Lynch, but we are already short handed at WR. Given Moss went for a 3rd, that would mean that Lee could maybe get a 3rd (he is younger, and seen as a very talented WR around the league) or more likely a 4th right now. So how is that more valuable to a team that MUST groom a young QB who will need WR's to throw to? Either Brohm or some rookie will be under center soon, and they will need weapons.

6. Evaluating Chan/Nix: Again, get a grip. They came into this mess, they didnt make this mess. They have had 4, yes just 4, games (against vastly more talented teams) together and you are already blasting them as if the lack of talent on this team is their doing. They are being forced to work with what they have and it will take a season or two before they can really put their stamp on this team.

:worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

Edited by BuffaloWings

I'm sorry, but honestly this type of post is what is wrong with the Buffalo Bills. A big part of these problems are the fans and their acceptance of mediocrity. All you did here was state of bunch of things that have happened as if they were expected all along.

Sorry, that's just ridiculous. Our head football coach is supposed to be able to identify before the season that Trent Edwards blows and cut his butt. I could see it from my living room. Our general manager is supposed to see that he is going to draft Spiller and before he pulls the surprise trigger, rob some team blind by trading Lynch to them during the draft. These are the things that are "expected", not your restatement of what has occurred as if it is all some part of a grand plan rather than what is really is...a reaction to previous poor planning.

And while I am venting, I am also tired of the "you can't turn a team around in one year" posts. These are another symbol of the fan's acceptance of the ridiculous state of the club.

This team has been trying to turn around for 10 years!! Not one year.

No, Gailey and Nix don't get a pass because "they just got here". You guys keep giving these passes out and that's why this team continues to suck. Every three years we give another set of fools a free pass to start over. Things'll never change at that rate.

I understand your frustration, but I invite you back into the reality of what the Bills are facing today. Chan and Nix have been challenged with rebuilding this team, and this is Year ONE whether you approve of that or not. What has happened in the previous decade has exactly zero relevance to what these guys are faced with right now.

So, while on one hand I understand and respect your statements, its also absolutely irrelevant in regards to this current staff and Bills team. Those years are gone, and yes, we are still rebuilding and this is their FIRST crack at it, not their 10th.

Edited by Alphadawg7

Great job! :thumbsup:

I pretty much agree with your assessment. I do disagree with you on how valuable Lee Evans is - on a normal NFL team he is beyond expendable. I do agree that right now the Bills absolutely cannot afford to get rid of him. But his contract is still an albatross, and the Bills seriously need to improve in talent evaluation in order to improve this franchise. Ultimately, that is where we are foul, and that is where we must look to fix the franchise.

By the way, the Spiller pick was anything but a surprise. Gailey kept talking about drafting a small "water bug" type. That's exactly what they did. I think he will pay off, but he needs Thurman to give him a blocking clinic at some point.

I certainly support the new regime, and still do for the most part. What (now) worries me about the so-called "chix" regime is that it seems it takes them too long to see the obvious. I can give them a slight pass (so to speak) on Edwards, as mabye Gailey thought he could work out his problems. But Lynch vs. Jackson? Did they not look at the tape from last year? His jersey's in the HoF for chistsake! Make this guy the focus of your offense like last year Chan and we'll start winning games (assuming the defense can hold teams to under 30 points...).

The Bills will win this week and Jackson will be the main reason why--thus shutting up the me-diots about the Lynch trade.

I understand your frustration, but I invite you back into the reality of what the Bills are facing today. Chan and Nix have been challenged with rebuilding this team, and this is Year ONE whether you approve of that or not. What has happened in the previous decade has exactly zero relevance to what these guys are faced with right now.

So, while on one hand I understand and respect your statements, its also absolutely irrelevant in regards to this current staff and Bills team. Those years are gone, and yes, we are still rebuilding and this is their FIRST crack at it, not their 10th.

I think the reason that a lot of fans are concerned is that the decision makers don't inspire confidence. We're not talking about Scott Pioli here - we're talking about a (very) longtime scout who looked a little out of his depth on draft day (what's with rushing to the podium instead of at least exploring trades, like every other freaking team?) and who is overseeing a team that doesn't seem able to attract good free agents. I don't think that Nix is a joke by any stretch, but there's a lot more that goes into managing a franchise than the draft. Plus he's a senior citizen, which (I hesitate to say) isn't discussed enough here. The NFL is *not* an old man's game.

More to the point, they took a bad team and made it a lot worse, and that often leads to merely ... a worse team, with no end in sight. As far as I can tell, no rebuilding has occurred except at the RB spot, which is one of the only places they didn't need it (Lynch is a good bit better than you give him credit for, I think). Spiller is certainly an exciting player, but I don't think it was a smart pick. The keys to the last draft, then, are Troup and Carrington, and maybe they'll be solid contributors. If they are, great, and I'll give Nix the credit he'll deserve. However, I'm not going to give them any credit until those guys prove they can play, and as far as I can tell, neither has made a play yet. It is early, of course. The day two picks appear to be the usual Bills' haul of not-ready-for-prime-time flotsam and jetsam, and I doubt any of them will be on the team in 3-4 years.

I certainly support the new regime, and still do for the most part. What (now) worries me about the so-called "chix" regime is that it seems it takes them too long to see the obvious. I can give them a slight pass (so to speak) on Edwards, as mabye Gailey thought he could work out his problems. But Lynch vs. Jackson? Did they not look at the tape from last year? His jersey's in the HoF for chistsake! Make this guy the focus of your offense like last year Chan and we'll start winning games (assuming the defense can hold teams to under 30 points...).

The Bills will win this week and Jackson will be the main reason why--thus shutting up the me-diots about the Lynch trade.

first, NO "new regime" that goes to ANY team will base their own evaluations off of "tape from last year". Different coaching, different systems, different everything. EVERY coach in football says "Let's see what I can do with them". It's the nature of the (coaching) beast. Plus, it wouldnt be very wise without seeing it for yourself.

second, if they DID go off of tapes of past years, theyd see that Lynch had the best start of a career of any Bills RB ever. which would give them reason to keep him around.

lastly, they could have been all set to trade Lynch earlier, but then he got injured in preseason, and if there were any offers being considered, they quickly got pulled until we could prove he was fully healthy again.

which brings us to week 5, of a Tear Down/Evaluation Year. i wouldnt worry about Chix "not getting it". they know what they are looking for, and they know what they are looking at. every move is important, and none should be rushed into just because the fans have been frustrated.

Good post, I'm pretty on the same page as you, the only thing that has me worried about Nix is the 4 years extension given to Kelsay, a player that doesnt fit the 3-4 scheme, and who is average at best in the 4-3....

Great post and evaluation Alpha! Denver got two 2nd rounders for Marshall and Arizona got a 3rd and 4th for Boldin. IMO, I think the Bills could get a deal for Evans somewhere close to what Arizona got Boldin. If the Bills decide to move Evans, it should be in the offseason, not now. Since the Bills are stockpiling their picks, they should get as many as possible. I understand your point about having a veteran WR to help out a rookie QB, so in that case, the Bills should sign a journeyman WR for a couple of years (in the offseason) to help out the rookie QB. IMO, Evans has given up on the Bills and his play on the field has shown it. It's a shame, because the guy is not a troublemaker or a locker room cancer, but then again, who can blame the guy considering the incompetence that has gone on during Evans' tenure in Buffalo.

Wow Alpha, you've just restored my faith in humanity (OK, perhaps just Bills fandom) with a single post.

What are a lot of people going to do on here now that the facts were reasonably presented and there shouldn't be no reason to B word and moan and cry and feel sorry for themselves?? :o

Answer: The exact same thing. :huh:

Or better, they'll say "you can't tell me what to do", when all you've asked is for people to think rationally for a second, take a deep breath and look at things with some pragmatism.

There are SOME of us who enjoy reading a well thought out post. And NO - it does NOT mean we accept or enjoy mediocrity.

Great post and evaluation Alpha! Denver got two 2nd rounders for Marshall and Arizona got a 3rd and 4th for Boldin. IMO, I think the Bills could get a deal for Evans somewhere close to what Arizona got Boldin. If the Bills decide to move Evans, it should be in the offseason, not now. Since the Bills are stockpiling their picks, they should get as many as possible. I understand your point about having a veteran WR to help out a rookie QB, so in that case, the Bills should sign a journeyman WR for a couple of years (in the offseason) to help out the rookie QB. IMO, Evans has given up on the Bills and his play on the field has shown it. It's a shame, because the guy is not a troublemaker or a locker room cancer, but then again, who can blame the guy considering the incompetence that has gone on during Evans' tenure in Buffalo.

I hear what you are saying about Lee frustrated to a point that its affecting his play, and like I said in the other thread discussing that specific point, its hard to blame him when you are catching passes from Trent and Fitz who are playing behind a bad O Line. Honestly, if we could get a deal comparable to what AZ got for Boldin then I wouldn't be so hesitant to move him.

That being said, I went back and watched the 2nd and 3rd pre season games again and like I said all along Trents good games still didnt look that good to me. He never looked sure back there. Then I watched Brohm, and I have to admit I really do see a guy who looks more decisive, seems to make quicker decisions and throws a nice ball. Even in that last game where his stat sheet doesnt look so hot, if you watch the game he was making some really nice throws and guys who are no longer on this team or deep on our roster were killing him and even causing turnovers.

So, I still hold out hope that after the bye that Brohm will get a chance to start and we can see if he can get the wide recievers more involved. I really felt like slants and quick passes were utilized more in the game with him at QB then the other 2. Who knows, maybe he will be worse than Fitz, but I at least want to see if he can spark the WR touches and that will go a long way in getting Evans a reason to be optimistic again when he steps out on the field.

I hear what you are saying about Lee frustrated to a point that its affecting his play, and like I said in the other thread discussing that specific point, its hard to blame him when you are catching passes from Trent and Fitz who are playing behind a bad O Line. Honestly, if we could get a deal comparable to what AZ got for Boldin then I wouldn't be so hesitant to move him.

That being said, I went back and watched the 2nd and 3rd pre season games again and like I said all along Trents good games still didnt look that good to me. He never looked sure back there. Then I watched Brohm, and I have to admit I really do see a guy who looks more decisive, seems to make quicker decisions and throws a nice ball. Even in that last game where his stat sheet doesnt look so hot, if you watch the game he was making some really nice throws and guys who are no longer on this team or deep on our roster were killing him and even causing turnovers.

So, I still hold out hope that after the bye that Brohm will get a chance to start and we can see if he can get the wide recievers more involved. I really felt like slants and quick passes were utilized more in the game with him at QB then the other 2. Who knows, maybe he will be worse than Fitz, but I at least want to see if he can spark the WR touches and that will go a long way in getting Evans a reason to be optimistic again when he steps out on the field.

Good points. Since this is a rebuilding year and if the offense doesn't look good this week against the Jags, then Gailey should go with Brohm after the bye week. What scares me about Brohm is that he is yet to throw a TD (either in preseason or the regular season). I know Brohm has potential and we'll never know how good he'll be until we see him under center.

Good points. Since this is a rebuilding year and if the offense doesn't look good this week against the Jags, then Gailey should go with Brohm after the bye week. What scares me about Brohm is that he is yet to throw a TD (either in preseason or the regular season). I know Brohm has potential and we'll never know how good he'll be until we see him under center.

Yeah, thats a fair concern, and understand why you would be concerned about that. Lord knows people like Albany and some others will never ever let you forget that stat. However, with Brohm you pretty much have to scrap what happened in GB. He was a young player who had trouble right out of the gate adjusting to both the speed of the game and not being the man. It rattled his confidence, and thats not uncommon amongst rookies. It led to immediate positioning at the bottom of the depth chart working with scrubs, many of which either never made the team or were buried on the depth chart themselves.

So, what I do hold more closely is how he looked here this preseason. Yes, still no TD, but again, he was working with backups, including many 3rd stringers and guys who were cut because injuries and a shortage to talent at many positions, especially the O Line. He did lead us on scoring drives, and for instance, when he failed to get into the endzone at the end of the half in his first outing, those 2 passes are passes dependent on timing with the WR, something he hasnt had a chance to really develop yet.

I am not implying that this kid is the second coming of Manning or that he isnt responsible for not throwing a TD pass this year, but he really wasnt getting much help from the personell around him either. The kid made a lot of really nice throws, and of course he missed some throws, but many of those missed throws were very correctable as they were more of a factor of the WR flat out running a bad/wrong route and a lack of rhythm and timing with his guys. Where as several of Fitz's and Trents missed throws were just terrible decisions and throws that never should have been made.

So, like I said, if this kid was named the starter and given a chance to get a bunch of reps in practice and of course the game, I would suspect that the 0 next to his TD totals would quickly change, so that stat doesnt bother me as it does some others in terms of judging his potential.

Bonus Point: One thing that I think could work in our factor here (if Brohm is tabbed to start after the bye) is Nelson coming back to the team this week. Odds are he will be working with the 2nd unit all week even if Nelson is named a starter come Sunday. That is extra time for him and Brohm to get some reps together as Brohm is working the 2nd unit. Then we have the bye week to further develop some chemistry and could both start the week after the bye. A recieving TE can be a young QB's best friend.

Edited by Alphadawg7

Good post, I'm pretty on the same page as you, the only thing that has me worried about Nix is the 4 years extension given to Kelsay, a player that doesnt fit the 3-4 scheme, and who is average at best in the 4-3....

Thanks, and I totally agre with you on Kelsay. I was taken back by the news of his extension too. I dont think of him as bad as most fans, but at the same time, being serviceable wouldnt earn an extension like that from me.

You know what is hillarious. I am sure you and guys like you said the same thing when TD and Greg W were brought on. Then the same when RJ was cut. Then the same thing when Mularkey was brought on board, and again with Marv and with Brandon, and Jauron and on and on and on. You guys try to play this cool, educated fan and everyone else is hysterical and wrong. Well each time you and guys like you have been wrong. It is as bad as it seems and has been for years. Unless Ralph dies soon, it will be that way for years to come.

So here we are AGAIN, ANOTHER rebuilding year, ANOTHER GM/ HC that we have to give 'time' too. Only after Ralph finally passes will we hopefully get a real owner that wants to win which = Much better front office, Better coaching, talent evaluating and most imporantly TALENT so we can actually finally rebuild instead of re tool to suck each year.

There needs to be more action and attempts to get better. More free agents, proven talent. Spend some of the old man's money to try to get better. Do not wait for some 4th or 5th rounder to develop in 3 years.

A post of this intelligence is rare at twobillsdrive.com

What you said. :worthy:

first, NO "new regime" that goes to ANY team will base their own evaluations off of "tape from last year". Different coaching, different systems, different everything. EVERY coach in football says "Let's see what I can do with them". It's the nature of the (coaching) beast. Plus, it wouldnt be very wise without seeing it for yourself.

second, if they DID go off of tapes of past years, theyd see that Lynch had the best start of a career of any Bills RB ever. which would give them reason to keep him around.

lastly, they could have been all set to trade Lynch earlier, but then he got injured in preseason, and if there were any offers being considered, they quickly got pulled until we could prove he was fully healthy again.

which brings us to week 5, of a Tear Down/Evaluation Year. i wouldnt worry about Chix "not getting it". they know what they are looking for, and they know what they are looking at. every move is important, and none should be rushed into just because the fans have been frustrated.

How do you think teams draft players? Or make trades? Did Seattle attend every Bills game this year before pulling the trigger on a trade?

You know what is hillarious. I am sure you and guys like you said the same thing when TD and Greg W were brought on. Then the same when RJ was cut. Then the same thing when Mularkey was brought on board, and again with Marv and with Brandon, and Jauron and on and on and on. You guys try to play this cool, educated fan and everyone else is hysterical and wrong. Well each time you and guys like you have been wrong. It is as bad as it seems and has been for years. Unless Ralph dies soon, it will be that way for years to come.

So here we are AGAIN, ANOTHER rebuilding year, ANOTHER GM/ HC that we have to give 'time' too. Only after Ralph finally passes will we hopefully get a real owner that wants to win which = Much better front office, Better coaching, talent evaluating and most imporantly TALENT so we can actually finally rebuild instead of re tool to suck each year.

I agreed with you about Trent. I semi agree with you about Maybin. But tell me, after Ralph dies and the Bills have a new owner and the team starts out 0-4, will you be demanding another new owner for the following year, ad infinitum?

Do us all a favor and pull your head out of your ass before you post. Bill Parcells went into Miami and whacked 25 players IMMEDIATELY, then proceeded to go from worst to first. Thanx for playing.

I agreed with you about Trent. I semi agree with you about Maybin. But tell me, after Ralph dies and the Bills have a new owner and the team starts out 0-4, will you be demanding another new owner for the following year, ad infinitum?

We will know immediately about the new owner by who he hires, how much money he is spending etc. KC's owner went out and got an outstanding GM, good up and coming HC and greats at their position for OC and DC. Win or not there is at least a commitment by ownership there to win.