Five Myths That Continue To Pervade TSW

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You will never get me to agree that we havent draft poorly. Anybody coaching up Losman or picking up Hardy?

You can say the same thing about Chad Jackson, Brandon Merriweather, Darius Butler, Lawrence Maroney, and Ron Brace. Polian whiffed on Tony Ugoh (and perhaps Donald Brown). Pittsburgh already cut bait with Santonio Holmes. Even the successful teams miss plenty.

I got a myth for you. It's a myth that you know the difference between a myth and an opinion.

'Cause what you've got there are just five opinions.

It goes without saying that these are my opinions Thurman.

Another great myth: Ralph is Cheap. I wouldn't say that he is cheap, but rather the manner in which he spends his money is misguided. Can you call someone that pays $24M for a guy like Kelsay cheap? No. However, why is he unwilling to may top dollar for a genuine GM or Head Coach? That would be money better spent IMHO.

You can say the same thing about Chad Jackson, Brandon Merriweather, Darius Butler, Lawrence Maroney, and Ron Brace. Polian whiffed on Tony Ugoh (and perhaps Donald Brown). Pittsburgh already cut bait with Santonio Holmes. Even the successful teams miss plenty.

It goes without saying that these are my opinions Thurman.

Please...........How many probowlers have the Bills drafted in 10 years. Dont act like the Steelers have drafted poorly. Polamalu ring a bell over turd Whitner? Big Ben vs JP. Santonio Holmes has 1000 yard seasons and sealed a superbowl win. Casey Hampton, Hines Ward, Woodley, Mendenhall, Heath Miller, Mike Wallace, I could go on.

Edited by billsfan714

And that's why the Nix hire is so troublesome - he's a good scout, but that's just not enough. He needs to be an architect, and I'm not sure he is one.

I think he MIGHT be, Coach. I cling to the opinion that they had zero choice wrt the Spiller selection.

Think about it, TD picked one trick ponies and little gadget players with his top resources (Evans, Losman and Parrish). So did Levy/Mauron (McKelvin, and this is not to mention the busts), and now Nix (Spiller). RW is the one constant.

If Ralph will let Nix build a football team, he might be able to do so. One thing I can tell you is that Ryan Mallett would sell tickets!!! This might make the difference in terms of Ralph letting them draft him. Give him some blocking, build the front 7, and Mallett, with his arm, could better utilize our tiny little gadget players. Build an OL and we would have a balanced attack. Concentrate on the front 7 and the secondary will hold up, or so it would seem.

These things are doable Coach. If I know this, so does Nix. I think it's more on Mr. Wilson, ya know?

Myth 1: Buddy Nix Knows How To Build A Football Team.

Buddy Nix is a professional scout. His entire career has consisted of, to paraphrase Bill Parcells, picking the groceries. He has never, as far as we know, designed the menu or the recipes. There is a difference. It is one thing to be able to identify talented players; it is quite another thing to construct a franchise. For the latter, you need to understand so many more things, including coaching (and coach selection), scheme, the competitive landscape, the salary cap, and player development. Why folks just assume Nix can do all of those things has always eluded me - he has never done it before. Just because some scouts have done it successfully (Polian, Butler) doesn't mean all of them can. And so far in Nix's GM tenure, it appears that he cannot team-build. His coaching selections, the ill-advised switch to a 3-4, and the failure to acquire a capable starting offensive line are all evidence that he fails in this department.

Myth 2: The Chargers Are A Model NFL Franchise.

This one is more controversial, but IMO it's a myth. The Chargers have been somewhat lucky, in part due to their weak division and in part because they have hit on some quality draft picks (that, you CAN thank Nix for). However, in terms of team-building, they have been somewhat dysfunctional. While they've achieved success relative to the Bills, if you look at the path that has gotten them here there have been numerous curious decisions. To name some examples: firing Schotty after his success; drafting 3 elite running backs in a short timespan (LT, Turner, Matthews) - and then paying Sproles $8 million; playing chicken with their best players and clubhouse leaders; jettisoning Brees and drafting Rivers in his place, draft "misses" on WRs, etc. Again, this one is open to debate. The reason I raise it is because one of the most popular refrains we hear at TSW is that Nix is the architect of a great team. I take issue with both of those points - I think Nix was not the architect, and that San Diego has succeeded despite serious dysfunction.

Myth 3: Nix and Gailey Are On The Same Page.

This is another popular one. But it got tosses out of the window down 53 flights yesterday, when the announcers during the game relayed Gailey's comment to them before the game to the effect that, "Our offensive line just isn't big or physical enough for us to do what we want to do on offense." Oh realllllly? And what was done this offseason to fix that critical problem? You'd think that if Nix and Gailey were truly together on everything, at a minimum Gailey would've pushed for (and gotten) more help with the key foundation of the offense he was hired to implement. Similarly, do you think that if Nix understood how little Spiller was going to be used in this offense, he would've burned a high draft pick on him? I tend to doubt it.

Myth 4: The Bills' Problem Is Poor Drafting.

Sorry, this is a myth. The Bills have had decent success in the draft over the past decade. The problem, unfortunately, has been horrible player development and horrible coaching. There are players on this team who would be very solid, productive role players - if not stars - for other teams in this league, had they been drafted into quality organizations with experienced, coherent coaching and schemes, as well as strength and conditioning. As much as folks here beat up on Lynch, Whitner, Poz, and even Kelsay, these are players who can play in this League. Their careers have been ruined by this cesspool of an organization.

Myth 5: The Bills Are Rebuilding.

This is the saddest myth of all of them. Folks, there is just no evidence that the Bills are "building" anything here. If you want to see an organization that is successfully rebuilding, take a look at Pioli's Chiefs. Specifically, look how many of his 2010 draft picks are playing key roles. By contrast, none of our 2010 draft picks are even playing, let alone playing a roll. This team continues to get beat at the point of attack, wear down late in games, and make mental mistakes. The key foundation of any NFL team - the offensive and defensive lines - continues to be a trainwreck. There is no NFL-caliber QB on the roster. This team is not rebuilding - it is re-doing. Sorry to say it, but it's just the truth.

#4 is not a myth and if you believe it is, then you know nothing about football. This team is lacking any significant talent and their first round picks for a long time have been horrible picks.

Another great myth: Ralph is Cheap. I wouldn't say that he is cheap, but rather the manner in which he spends his money is misguided. Can you call someone that pays $24M for a guy like Kelsay cheap? No. However, why is he unwilling to may top dollar for a genuine GM or Head Coach? That would be money better spent IMHO.

Myth #6: Chris Kelsay is going to make $24 million over the next 4 years. He received a $2.4 million bonus for this season, and has a backloaded contract. They could cut him prior to March 1 and not pay him another dime.

Myth #6: Chris Kelsay is going to make $24 million over the next 4 years. He received a $2.4 million bonus for this season, and has a backloaded contract. They could cut him prior to March 1 and not pay him another dime.

Myth #7: The bills are going to all of a sudden realize Chri$ Kel$ay is worthless and cut him prior to next season. Kelsay is on this team for at least the next 3 seasons.

Myth #7: The bills are going to all of a sudden realize Chri$ Kel$ay is worthless and cut him prior to next season. Kelsay is on this team for at least the next 3 seasons.

We can dream, can't we? Seriously, I think he'll be on the Bills next year (his base salary is pretty low - $2 million), but if he doesn't improve (and he won't), he'll be gone after the 2011 season.

First off, WAY TOO EARLY to cast shadows on the football operations that Buddy Nix and Chan Gailey have created for 2010. The basic truth after watching the NY Jets torch them is that the cupboard is indeed bare, especially on defense, and you can't run a 3-4 without excellent LB play and a stout NT (see Pitts. and Balt.). Furthermore, anyone who knows anything about running an organization would find the argument that Nix and Gailey are at odds on some points would just laugh! Seriously, does everyone here believe Polian and Levy ALWAYS agreed on issues with that team of the 90's?? Give it time, hell, that's all we have at this point with a MAJOR rebuilding project underway. Will they succeed or fail is debatable, however,I am sure that all they would ask for is a fighting chance!

Buddy Nix is a professional scout. His entire career has consisted of, to paraphrase Bill Parcells, picking the groceries. He has never, as far as we know, designed the menu or the recipes. There is a difference. It is one thing to be able to identify talented players; it is quite another thing to construct a franchise. For the latter, you need to understand so many more things, including coaching (and coach selection), scheme, the competitive landscape, the salary cap, and player development. Why folks just assume Nix can do all of those things has always eluded me - he has never done it before. Just because some scouts have done it successfully (Polian, Butler) doesn't mean all of them can. And so far in Nix's GM tenure, it appears that he cannot team-build. His coaching selections, the ill-advised switch to a 3-4, and the failure to acquire a capable starting offensive line are all evidence that he fails in this department.

Myth 2: The Chargers Are A Model NFL Franchise.

This one is more controversial, but IMO it's a myth. The Chargers have been somewhat lucky, in part due to their weak division and in part because they have hit on some quality draft picks (that, you CAN thank Nix for). However, in terms of team-building, they have been somewhat dysfunctional. While they've achieved success relative to the Bills, if you look at the path that has gotten them here there have been numerous curious decisions. To name some examples: firing Schotty after his success; drafting 3 elite running backs in a short timespan (LT, Turner, Matthews) - and then paying Sproles $8 million; playing chicken with their best players and clubhouse leaders; jettisoning Brees and drafting Rivers in his place, draft "misses" on WRs, etc. Again, this one is open to debate. The reason I raise it is because one of the most popular refrains we hear at TSW is that Nix is the architect of a great team. I take issue with both of those points - I think Nix was not the architect, and that San Diego has succeeded despite serious dysfunction.

Myth 3: Nix and Gailey Are On The Same Page.

This is another popular one. But it got tosses out of the window down 53 flights yesterday, when the announcers during the game relayed Gailey's comment to them before the game to the effect that, "Our offensive line just isn't big or physical enough for us to do what we want to do on offense." Oh realllllly? And what was done this offseason to fix that critical problem? You'd think that if Nix and Gailey were truly together on everything, at a minimum Gailey would've pushed for (and gotten) more help with the key foundation of the offense he was hired to implement. Similarly, do you think that if Nix understood how little Spiller was going to be used in this offense, he would've burned a high draft pick on him? I tend to doubt it.

Sorry, this is a myth. The Bills have had decent success in the draft over the past decade. The problem, unfortunately, has been horrible player development and horrible coaching. There are players on this team who would be very solid, productive role players - if not stars - for other teams in this league, had they been drafted into quality organizations with experienced, coherent coaching and schemes, as well as strength and conditioning. As much as folks here beat up on Lynch, Whitner, Poz, and even Kelsay, these are players who can play in this League. Their careers have been ruined by this cesspool of an organization.

Myth 5: The Bills Are Rebuilding.

This is the saddest myth of all of them. Folks, there is just no evidence that the Bills are "building" anything here. If you want to see an organization that is successfully rebuilding, take a look at Pioli's Chiefs. Specifically, look how many of his 2010 draft picks are playing key roles. By contrast, none of our 2010 draft picks are even playing, let alone playing a roll. This team continues to get beat at the point of attack, wear down late in games, and make mental mistakes. The key foundation of any NFL team - the offensive and defensive lines - continues to be a trainwreck. There is no NFL-caliber QB on the roster. This team is not rebuilding - it is re-doing. Sorry to say it, but it's just the truth.

Good thing none of this is subjective - oh wait... :wallbash:

These types of statements can't be proven or dis-proven.

I like this statement, which is not a Myth:

The Buffalo Bills, holders of a 0-4 record and some of the worst offensive and defensive rankings in the league, are playing like the worst team in the league. I dare someone to counter that statement!

How do you know Nix can't build a team? When was the last time he failed? Who's actually built a Super Bowl team four weeks into the season and 15 games before the actual SuperBowl?

How do you knwo the Chargers aren't a model franchise? Were they ever? Why? What makes a team a model franchise? Were the Bills one in the early 90s?

How do you know if Buddy and Chan are on the same page or not? Have you been sitting in meetings or are you trying to devine this information from the brief sound bites you hear through the media?

How can you say the Bills haven't drafted poorly the past 10 years? Especially in the 1st round?

Why do you say the Bills aren't re-building? I just don't get what you're trying to say there.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to tell you there is a ligth at the end of the tunnel or that we're going to win 10 games next year, but I think your post is too subjective to make any points and poorly thought out.

This is kind of ridiculous when you think of the guys we've passed on. I'm not talking about Tom Brady in the 6th round. I'm talking about Whitner over Ngata, Maybin over Orakpo, Poz over David Harris, Hardy over Desean Jackson, Lynch over Revis only to take McKelvin over Clady the next year. How about Kelsay over Osi Umenyiora in 2003? Osi was the next DE off the board.

Anyway, the drafts have been an annual nightmare. Your baseline is totally wrong -- when you pick a guy in the first and second round, he should be able to "play in this league." The question is whether he's a difference maker or not.

"From 1984 – 1992, Nix was the head coach at the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga. Prior to his nine seasons at UTC, Nix’s collegiate career included assistant positions at Louisiana State University (1981 – 1983), Auburn (1976 – 1980), Southern Mississippi (1972 – 1975), Livingston University (1970 – 1971) and Carson Newman (1969). In 1971, Livingston won the Division II National Championship while Nix was the Defensive Coordinator.

Nix’s coaching career began in 1961 as a graduate assistant at the University of Alabama, the same year the Crimson Tide finished 11-0 and defeated Arkansas in the Sugar Bowl en route to a National Championship. He later coached positions at Anniston (1962 – 1964) and Eufaula (1964 – 1967) High Schools in Alabama and Jonesboro High School (1967 – 1969) in Georgia."

http://www.buffalobills.com/team/roster/Buddy-Nix/8c210bdd-5c03-4698-9e8a-b287b9fcbc72

This is kind of ridiculous when you think of the guys we've passed on. I'm not talking about Tom Brady in the 6th round. I'm talking about Whitner over Ngata, Maybin over Orakpo, Poz over David Harris, Hardy over Desean Jackson, Lynch over Revis only to take McKelvin over Clady the next year. How about Kelsay over Osi Umenyiora in 2003? Osi was the next DE off the board.

Anyway, the drafts have been an annual nightmare. Your baseline is totally wrong -- when you pick a guy in the first and second round, he should be able to "play in this league." The question is whether he's a difference maker or not.

You're missing my point. With the possible exception of Maybin, the players you list all can play. The scouts weren't the ones telling the GMs to take small guys. They were the ones telling the GMs, "Well, if you want a small fast guy for your crappy scheme, here is where you should go."

I'm not sure we're disagreeing Bill. I completely agree that they haven't been (and aren't) building this team the right way. Totally on board with you there. My point is that it isn't so much a college scouting issue as it is a team-building issue. Perhaps "player development" is the wrong emphasis, or the wrong phrase - it's about having a coherent plan, good coaching, solid schemes, and an understanding of how to fit the various pieces together into a successful program. And that's why the Nix hire is so troublesome - he's a good scout, but that's just not enough. He needs to be an architect, and I'm not sure he is one.

The Bills drafting over the last 8 years has been hideous! They only have 14 players on their roster from these drafts and, really, not one stud pro bowler. These are the likes of Kelsay, Parrish and D. Bell. They repreatedly picked the wrong player at the right position (Williams/McKinney, Schaub/Losman, Hardy/D.Jackson, McCargo/Peko or Cofield). As and especially amusing sidenote, in 2002, when we last drafted top 5, NOT ONE of our drafted players is still in the NFL!!! There is not 1 worse drafting team than our Buffalo Bills. Not one.

I don't disagree that Nix is an uproven cook, but with these ingredients...good luck.

Harrumph!!!

Hey Gabe, don't forget Magahee over Eric Steinbach, who many of us were screaming for.

Btw, your screen name was a better OLB than Kelsay. GG, are you there to verify this lol?

So:

1) Nix is a football dumbass;

2) Chargers weren't good, just lucky, particulary over the time Nix was there;

3) Our coach and GM don't agree on football operations;

4) The Bills draft choices the last ten years have been just fine, but the organization failed them;

5) We're not rebuilding, we just suck. No thought is being given to the future.

Really. That is just asinine. Expecially #4! You go right ahead and defend all those steller picks my friend. You lost me from the beginning but you are so out of step with reality on that one that you lose all credibility. Why don't you just say your p*ssed off like the rest of us and lose the crazy "Palidinoesque" logic.

You should tread lightly there. For a guy who says the Bills have no talent, yet claims Nix has an eye for talent, credibility is at risk.