Trade or Cut Evans and Whitner

Today, Evans finished the game with 1 reception for 6 yards and dropped some easy catches today. But, he still made $563,000 for todays game. Yet, UDFA David Nelson had 4 receptions for 75 yards and former 7th round pick Stevie Johnson had 3 receptions for 31 yards and 1 Touchdown (also, this is Johnson's second week in a row with a TD). So, I want to know from all the Evans lovers out there, what's the excuse for Evans now? Captain Checkdown is gone and Fitzpatrick is throwing the ball to Evans, but he's still not getting the job done. Evans should give his $563,000 game check and split it between Fitzpatrick, Nelson and Johnson. I hope Nix and Gailey realize that Evans is a one-trick pony, a straight line deep threat. Either trade him in the offseason or cut him loose.

I'm just wondering why George Wilson hasn't been starting? After Whitner's pathetic performance today, Wilson should be put back in as starter. Wilson proved last year that he is a better playmaking, ballhawking safety than Whitner. All Whitner has done has shown that he's a tough talker on twitter. Trade him or cut him loose as well.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Evans has checked out. He doesn't even run at full speed out of breaks, and loses concentration regularly.

In his recent chat, Allen Wilson said the Bills can't deal Evans because no one is willing to accept his contract.

It's totally insane that we pay him and Stroud about $17 million combined per season.

I know everyone likes to pile on Whitner for not living up to the pick he was but he is quite possible the only player that brought it today other than Fitz. Is he a great safety? Absolutely not. Does he play with a lot of heart? Yes. Which is more than you can say about any other player on our team right now. I don't think I would pick on the teams leading tackler after today. It isn't really his fault that every time a running back touched a ball they gained 5.6 yards, or that Sanchez had a day and a half to throw the ball every time he dropped back. There is about 10 other guys on the Defense on every play that I would call out before him just this one time.

Oh and just to throw it in there... you're right about Evans he blows. Send his ass packing, draft picks or no draft picks. Let Nelson be the #1 because Evans is non existent. I mean how much worse can he be at #1?

Today, Evans finished the game with 1 reception for 6 yards and dropped some easy catches today. But, he still made $563,000 for todays game. Yet, UDFA David Nelson had 4 receptions for 75 yards and former 7th round pick Stevie Johnson had 3 receptions for 31 yards and 1 Touchdown (also, this is Johnson's second week in a row with a TD). So, I want to know from all the Evans lovers out there, what's the excuse for Evans now? Captain Checkdown is gone and Fitzpatrick is throwing the ball to Evans, but he's still not getting the job done. Evans should give his $563,000 game check and split it between Fitzpatrick, Nelson and Johnson. I hope Nix and Gailey realize that Evans is a one-trick pony, a straight line deep threat. Either trade him in the offseason or cut him loose.

I'm just wondering why George Wilson hasn't been starting? After Whitner's pathetic performance today, Wilson should be put back in as starter. Wilson proved last year that he is a better playmaking, ballhawking safety than Whitner. All Whitner has done has shown that he's a tough talker on twitter. Trade him or cut him loose as well.

You cannot cut them. Like it or not they are two of the better players on the team.

Evans really showed nothing today. How many balls hit hit hands? Look like he quit.

Whitner is what he is. An average safety that unfortunately was drafted #8 overall.

Whitner had 13 tackles today just fyi

I agree these guys havent been playing well but you need to tell me why cutting them makes our team better

I just dont see the point of creating a hole, just to create a hole

That's why I said "in the offseason". There's not much the Bills can do now, so they have to wait until then.

You cannot cut them. Like it or not they are two of the better players on the team.

Evans really showed nothing today. How many balls hit hit hands? Look like he quit.

Whitner is what he is. An average safety that unfortunately was drafted #8 overall.

Evans dropped balls that should have been easily caught, so if he's quitting on the team, demote him to being a #5 WR and give guys like Nelson & Johnson a chance at the Top 2 WR positions. It's disgusting knowing Evans is making $9+ million a year (563k a game) and it looks like he's quitting on the team. I feel bad for Fitzpatrick on the other players on the team that are playing hard and are trying to win.

I agree these guys havent been playing well but you need to tell me why cutting them makes our team better

These are the guys that keep this team stuck in neutral. Evans is too easily eliminated week after week after week. Whitner...talks a good game but can't cover and gets burned way too easily. I agree....its time to move on..maybe not right now but definately after the season.

If anything, George Wilson should at least be starting over Donte for now. Donte has no nose for the football because all that Donte cares about is trying to put a hit on someone so he can run his mouth. There have been many plays over the past couple of years were he reads the play perfectly, yet instead of jumping the route, he waits until the receiver makes a play on the ball and then puts a hit on them.

Donte usually has about 2-3 nice tackles a game when in run support, however, most of his tackles come on either passes completed against him or when he puts his head down and torpedoes at their ankles. He is the worst form tackler in the NFL....almost 90% of his hits come from him dropping his head and diving at ankles trying to upend people. For a safety who is supposed to be good in run support he sures looks like a damn fool more often than not. LT embarrassed Donte on his TD run today and that isn't the first time this year Donte has taken a bad angle in run support.

I don't agree with cutting Donte, but I don't believe he should remain a starter either. It is tough to defend a guy who has 4 interception and 1 sack over 54 career starts. Not to mention, the guy feels the need to celebrate and get in players faces even when his defense has already allowed 38 points or when he makes a tackle 20 yards down field.

Evans needs to be traded if possible, simply because we have no need for him and I don't believe he cares anymore. Lets face it...the Bills aren't going to be good for another year or 2 at the earliest, and by then Lee will be in his 30s. However, I have to agree with Gabe Northern, no one is going to want take him at his current contract. The more I think about how dysfunctional this team is the more I realize we are hopeless until there is a change in ownership.

Edited by DaBills51

What's the old saying, I can lose with or WITHOUT them, and I'd say sincerely, WHY stop there? The dead weight on this team is STAGGERING!! Lee Evans and Donte Whitner are the tip of the iceberg when it comes to players that need to move on. I'd beat the mortgage that this team, as constituted, will look vastly different next year and moreso in 2012.

There is no question that Whitner was drafted a lot higher than he should have been. Yet, he plays with some heart and seems to truly care.

I cannot say the same for Lee Evans. They should trade him and be done with it. I do not think he is a team player, and he undermines others behind the scenes. He has no excuses anymore. He is essentially is a one trick pony who does not go over the middle, does not fight for the ball, and does not come back for the ball when the QB is in trouble.

With any luck, there is a team out there who is willing to trade us a decent pick.

Edited by Peter

Whitner might be a decent safety but we don't know he is busy playing LB. Donte leading the team in tackles correlates well to the team surrendering 250+ yards rushing. The 2 ends and all LB spots seem to be a problem, a glaring one when facing a stout team like the Jets...

On Lee:

With no cap there has to be a team thinking they are a deep threat away from the superbowl and are willing to give up something the team needs to get it. Worried about creating more holes on the team?? Nix can find someone that runs a 4.3-4.4 40 and catches a few balls for a few yards every once in a while (Chad Jackson for 1).

Whitner might be a decent safety but we don't know he is busy playing LB. Donte leading the team in tackles correlates well to the team surrendering 250+ yards rushing. The 2 ends and all LB spots seem to be a problem, a glaring one when facing a stout team like the Jets...

On Lee:

With no cap there has to be a team thinking they are a deep threat away from the superbowl and are willing to give up something the team needs to get it. Worried about creating more holes on the team?? Nix can find someone that runs a 4.3-4.4 40 and catches a few balls for a few yards every once in a while (Chad Jackson for 1).

Chad Jackson would actually care and play with some passion. With any luck there is one team out there which believes they are one go route receiver away from doing well in the playoffs.

Edited by Peter