Trade or Cut Evans and Whitner

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Besides the one play where Donte was deaked out of his shorts by LT (he isn't this first one to have that happen to him) on the TD run, he has been playing alright and is not a problem. people need to stop with the "Cut Donte cause hes not a Pro Bowler" posts every week.

As for Evans, I think he is better suited as a #2 or maybe a #1b. But right now not many WR would have much success with the rest of the WR's on the Bills this year. Evans dropped about as many as Stevie "HOFer before playing a game" Johnson did early on. Johnson only picked up his game late in the 4th when it was already over, just like the pre-season, he played best when the game is meaningless

ONE BAD GAME?! EVANS = Ferarri?! Hahahahahahahaha!!!!!!! I didn't know you were a comedian! Thanks for the laugh!

Evans was more like a Pontiac Soltice. This year, he's been playing like a Ford Pinto. Just to prove my point, lets look at the Evans' stats:

4-34

0-0

5-54

1-6

Bringing his 4 game total to a whopping 10 receptions, for a mind boggling 94 yards and 0 TD's. That's 23.5 yards per game for a #1 WR, that's making $9+ million a year. If Evans were to continue that stat total for the rest of the year, he would finish with: 40 receptions and 376 yards.

Okay, back to the facts. In 2009, Terrell Owens was suppose to take some of the double coverage off of Evans to get Evans more open. Let's see how Evans did in 2009:

3-25

1-32 1TD

4-31

2-60

2-11

4-68 1TD

5-75 1TD

2-29

4-50 2TD

1-15

2-40

1-38

1-11

3-35 1TD

5-43

4-49 1TD

So that's 44 receptions, 612 yards and 7 TD's. So that's 38.25 yards per game.

So you're "ONE BAD GAME" is a bunch of crap. Look at the stats, there are multiple bad games up there.

Here's the mostly likely scenarios of why Evans numbers are this horrible:

1. Evans played hard until he got the contract extension during the 2008 season. Evans stats that year, 63 receptions for 1,017 yards. After the big payday, Evans decided he got the fat paycheck and doesn't need to play that hard anymore.

2. Evans is straight line deep threat and the guy who could constantly throw him the deep pass (also was Evans' friend) J.P. Losman's last year on the team was in 2008. Either Evans only play is the deep pass or Evans is disgruntled about Losman and hasn't been trying hard for the Bills QB's.

3. Just like Peerless Price, Evans is starting to lose his elusive speed.

4. Evans is tired of losing and has given up on the team

5. Any Combination of the above.

ok if u subtract his one bad game this year, all of those other bad games the last 2 years were do to his QB, EDWARDS, when he had touchdowns, Fitz was the qb. Also the oline has always sucked which if by definition affects the qb-it then must also affect recievers. Evans is a ferrari in the sense that hes smaller but fast as hell, what would you liken him to? oh ya a pinto, good one, ya thats why hes a first round pick and has a high ypc average in the nfl, cuz hes slow....lame

Also you discounted his years w losman because they were friends? So what?? whats wrong with that? who would be friends with edwards who was ruining many peoples careers? Also w bledsoe he was awesome, hmm a good qb and what do you know, good numbers.

Evans has had year after year of garbage around him and never complains, Donte pumps people up on twittner and now he is better? Sound like all politics and no actions.

Evans had every right to complain and I feel lucky he didnt pack his bags and leave boring buffalo w its boring offense and losing records. but he stayed and now you bash one of its only stars.

Should spiller run like Jerome bettis just to prove to you he can? hes a speed guy and in the nfl speed like that is hard to come by. When we start winning and the deep ball is in the air, and we win another game via an evans touchdown you will be cheering, and u wont care about the millions ralph pays him,is it your money?

peerless was in the same boat, a third wide out whos qb threw him a few passes, always off target and short, when bledsoe was here he looked all pro. Peerless got hosed to. you just keep blaming the wrong people. T.O. was the only real case of a guy that didnt try. but you probably wish he was still here right?

Edited by loserlovers

Evans won't run over the middle. Time to move him. He'll never see a sniff of the playoffs here

Are you suggesting Evans refuses to run routes that require him to go across the middle of the field? Does he let the coaches know this, or does he just simply stop running the route once he gets near the center of the field?

Please, explain how this happens.

I agree with your post. But if I were in Nix's position, I would be demading much more return from my $9+ million dollar a year investment. Maybe a change of scenery would do wonders to revive Evans' career. But, who is willing to take on Evans' contract?

The team needs a lot more talent and one more draft/offseason is not going to fix it.

Agreed...I had hopes for this team to show some more than they have thus far. I havent given up complete hope on the season given the strenght of our opponents thus far, but its become pretty clear that this team is severly lacking the talent to be relevant by next year.

A good QB would do wonders for that though, and Fitz isnt the answer. Brohm has potential, but he is inexperienced. A first round QB would have good potential, but they would also be inexperienced. So the thought of trying to develop either Brohm or a top rookie with a WR corp of Stevie, Roscoe, and David Nelson is pretty scary. So, I would hate to move Lee and leave what ever young QB those 3 guys to depend on...whether its Brohm or a top rookie next year.

So, while we wont fix all these holes with another draft, I just dont see how moving Lee will help our biggest hole which is QB, especially if we go young with Brohm (who I think starts the game after the bye unless Fitz lights it up next week) or a top rookie QB next year.

It's hard to feel sorry for a guy making so much to play a game, but as a competitor and football fan I actually feel for him having to play with the likes of Trent and Fitz these last few years.

Alpha - While I do respect your opinion on here a lot, I do disagree about Evans. Evans has never been a #1 WR and the Bills wrongly overpaid him. In the Moulds/Price combo, Evans would be Price.

The #2 CB was covering Evans yesterday and shut him down. How bad is it going to look against Revis? As for the double coverage, Lee doesn't have the physical capability to shed the double coverage like a true #1 WR can.

ummm because the jets number two guy is still a one on most teams, and revis is the best period so no wr would look good against him

How does Evans go from making amazingly athletic tip-toed TD's in the endzone from a few years ago, to dropping easily catchable balls? Look at the five reasons that I gave above, I bet the answer is there.

um because edwards sucked for 2+ years and fits has had only 10 games and evans looked better but...its still fitz

and yes he did this once in his career, in what 7 years he had one game with multiple drops,several games w no drops, just awful I know.

With your QB comparison, you have Fitz rated above Losman. With Losman, Evans had seasons of 1,292 yards and 1,017 yards receiving. But yet, Evans has been posting his lowest numbers to date with a higher rated QB? That doesn't make sense? (See the 5 reasons I stated)

um jp had one tool, the deep ball so only evans looked good, look at price and reeds numbers w jp, they arent good. with trent the running back looked good, that was it.

Edited by loserlovers

Today, Evans finished the game with 1 reception for 6 yards and dropped some easy catches today. But, he still made $563,000 for todays game. Yet, UDFA David Nelson had 4 receptions for 75 yards and former 7th round pick Stevie Johnson had 3 receptions for 31 yards and 1 Touchdown (also, this is Johnson's second week in a row with a TD). So, I want to know from all the Evans lovers out there, what's the excuse for Evans now? Captain Checkdown is gone and Fitzpatrick is throwing the ball to Evans, but he's still not getting the job done. Evans should give his $563,000 game check and split it between Fitzpatrick, Nelson and Johnson. I hope Nix and Gailey realize that Evans is a one-trick pony, a straight line deep threat. Either trade him in the offseason or cut him loose.

I'm just wondering why George Wilson hasn't been starting? After Whitner's pathetic performance today, Wilson should be put back in as starter. Wilson proved last year that he is a better playmaking, ballhawking safety than Whitner. All Whitner has done has shown that he's a tough talker on twitter. Trade him or cut him loose as well.

Don't know that an argument can be made for that . At best i always thought Evans was a #2 at best !!

Evans with a great QB is a pro bowl WR....but we don't have that nor will we in the next decaade. Why create yet another hole for who Steve Johnson to be your number one WR? Really? That's who you want.

He had one bad game......the guy has been a gamer his whole career and consider his QBs. All perrennial back-ups at best!!

Who is the WR in the ENTIRE NFL with the most yards per catch (those with over 300 receptions)?

Yep, Evans....you do not get there without being a good player

Are you suggesting Evans refuses to run routes that require him to go across the middle of the field? Does he let the coaches know this, or does he just simply stop running the route once he gets near the center of the field?

Please, explain how this happens.

Listen to the Ryan Fitzpantsdown post-game. He hints rather strongly on the point some of us have known about Evans since the day he was drafted. Going deep is "Lee's thing". They try to get him the ball "in other ways" but it just never seems to work out. In other words, Evans just isn't all that at the other things and doesn't play the quick game well enough against most teams best corners so they can't get him the ball. Fitzpantsdown even explains that other teams consistently roll high coverage Lee's way, so as to take away his A game, the deep routes, as well.

Do other teams know this? You bet your ass, they do. That's how and why they erase him from games.

Listen to the Ryan Fitzpantsdown post-game. He hints rather strongly on the point some of us have known about Evans since the day he was drafted. Going deep is "Lee's thing". They try to get him the ball "in other ways" but it just never seems to work out. In other words, Evans just isn't all that at the other things and doesn't play the quick game well enough against most teams best corners so they can't get him the ball. Fitzpantsdown even explains that other teams consistently roll high coverage Lee's way, so as to take away his A game, the deep routes, as well.

Do other teams know this? You bet your ass, they do. That's how and why they erase him from games.

You still didn't answer my question.

We all know Evans is a class act. He doesn't get in trouble and is not a locker room cancer. Evans is definitely a fan favorite.

Even with that said, when you pay a guy $9+ million a year, you want to see results, not excuses.

ok if u subtract his one bad game this year, all of those other bad games the last 2 years were do to his QB, EDWARDS, when he had touchdowns, Fitz was the qb. Also the oline has always sucked which if by definition affects the qb-it then must also affect recievers. Evans is a ferrari in the sense that hes smaller but fast as hell, what would you liken him to? oh ya a pinto, good one, ya thats why hes a first round pick and has a high ypc average in the nfl, cuz hes slow....lame

Also you discounted his years w losman because they were friends? So what?? whats wrong with that? who would be friends with edwards who was ruining many peoples careers? Also w bledsoe he was awesome, hmm a good qb and what do you know, good numbers.

Evans has had year after year of garbage around him and never complains, Donte pumps people up on twittner and now he is better? Sound like all politics and no actions.

Evans had every right to complain and I feel lucky he didnt pack his bags and leave boring buffalo w its boring offense and losing records. but he stayed and now you bash one of its only stars.

Should spiller run like Jerome bettis just to prove to you he can? hes a speed guy and in the nfl speed like that is hard to come by. When we start winning and the deep ball is in the air, and we win another game via an evans touchdown you will be cheering, and u wont care about the millions ralph pays him,is it your money?

peerless was in the same boat, a third wide out whos qb threw him a few passes, always off target and short, when bledsoe was here he looked all pro. Peerless got hosed to. you just keep blaming the wrong people. T.O. was the only real case of a guy that didnt try. but you probably wish he was still here right?

So all of the other bad games Evans had were Edwards' fault? Sure, that's right, blame it all on Edwards, he's the scapegoat.

I don't think you got Jerry's point with Losman. Losman loved to throw the deep ball, which is Lee Evans' key play. Lee wanted Losman over Edwards. Look at the difference in Evans' stats from when Losman was on the team, to after he left.

Lots of valid points here on Evans that can't really be argued unfortunately.

Though I still say Evans on the Colts looks a hell of a lot like Marvin Harrison.

He'd probably have 90 catches for 1200 yds every year.

His issues are probably a combination of scheme, losing motivation through years of losing, and coaching/ Qb changes.