Who else it at the point of anger

Thoner7

Thanks for this post, it really made me laugh out loud. Particularly the cancer research part. You "suppose not"? :lol:

Dude, at the end of the day it is only a game. Yes it is big business. Yes it involves obscene amounts of money. Yes people get (far too) invested emotionally. But a game it is, and always will be (unless it fully implodes and goes out of business).

The Super Bowl is perhaps the single biggest annual event in all of America. The scale and magnitude of its spectacle can not be overstated.

But yah, it's totally the same thing as playing some Scrabble.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am happy with the team. We are moving forward, dumping the right players, evaluating talent and building a team.

How long has Buddy been GM? Your problem is its not fast enough, you see it all happening over night. :flirt:

Nix was named GM in January 2010. There's absolutely no reason we shouldn't have been contending for the Super Bowl in Feb. But, no, Polian had the Colts there again. Nix sucks. Time to move on.

The Super Bowl is perhaps the single biggest annual event in all of America. The scale and magnitude of its spectacle can not be overstated.

You are correct about this. But it has little to do with football and more about the surrounding spectacle.

The bolded part is also true. But put it in the context of world sporting events and it pales in comparison to some others.

Look, it is a big money business. No one will argue otherwise. And lots of Americans enjoy it, and even love it, to be sure. But you have to see that like all sports, movies, plays, etc. it is just entertainment. Nothing more, and nothing less. If it somehow means more to you than things of substance, then I really don't know what to say.

I completely disagree, and I bet every sports team owner and sports writer disagrees, no matter what they say. The opposite of cheering for my team is not cursing my team, it's apathy. No owner or writer wants that, because no-one is shelling out their money for that.

swampy - help me out here - i must not be making myself clear because you are equating apathy to what i have stated and that is not the case - at least that is not the case i am making here.

apathy is when you just dont care about a given situation or topic - i did not nor would i ever say that i don;t care about the bills - in fact i have stated just the opposite in this thread.

my contention is "having the intellilectual ability to understand that it is just a game and not what is most important in life" - does not preclude one from also - "being able to be emotionally invested in the bills by caring about them and being angry at them at times; laughing during the good times and crying during the bad times". they are not mutually exclusive. and being able to do all of that does not equate to being apathetic.

swampy - help me out here - i must not be making myself clear because you are equating apathy to what i have stated and that is not the case - at least that is not the case i am making here.

apathy is when you just dont care about a given situation or topic - i did not nor would i ever say that i don;t care about the bills - in fact i have stated just the opposite in this thread.

my contention is "having the intellilectual ability to understand that it is just a game and not what is most important in life" - does not preclude one from also - "being able to be emotionally invested in the bills by caring about them and being angry at them at times; laughing during the good times and crying during the bad times". they are not mutually exclusive. and being able to do all of that does not equate to being apathetic.

I agree with all of this. But we are being told by some people that we are not allowed to get angry. Anyone that truly cares about this team has every right to be angry. I'm not saying they have to be or even should be, but if they are, who am I to judge?

If it was just a game, the Bills would have left Buffalo a long time ago.

I'm happy about the Bill right now. Jauron and Edwards are both gone. The offense looked very good on the road against the Pats last week. Fitzpatrick looks like the first true "leader" we've had at the position since Bledsoe was here. Looking forward to the Bills beating the Jets tomorrow.

Look, it is a big money business. No one will argue otherwise. And lots of Americans enjoy it, and even love it, to be sure. But you have to see that like all sports, movies, plays, etc. it is just entertainment. Nothing more, and nothing less. If it somehow means more to you than things of substance, then I really don't know what to say.

I'm not debating this.

I'm saying it's okay to feel emotion regarding sport. Joy, despair, exhilaration, anger, etc. That is why we loves sports.

You can go see a tearjerker movie and feel sad. That doesn't make you some fool that can't differentiate movies from real life, it makes you human. Sure, there are things far sadder that exist in the real world, but if I cry over the Lion King that doesn't mean I have no life perspective. ( Don't judge me, that movie has some sad parts! :) )

The joy of victory, the agony of defeat. Embrace it.

I agree with all of this. But we are being told by some people that we are not allowed to get angry. Anyone that truly cares about this team has every right to be angry. I'm not saying they have to be or even should be, but if they are, who am I to judge?

If it was just a game, the Bills would have left Buffalo a long time ago.

You wouldn't be a fan if you aren't angry right now. I think some are just saying to let it go when the game is over and get back to our regular lives. That's all.

I'm not debating this.

I'm saying it's okay to feel emotion regarding sport. Joy, despair, exhilaration, anger, etc. That is why we loves sports.

You can go see a tearjerker movie and feel sad. That doesn't make you some fool that can't differentiate movies from real life, it makes you human. Sure, there are things far sadder that exist in the real world, but if I cry over the Lion King that doesn't mean I have no life perspective. ( Don't judge me, that movie has some sad parts! :) )

The joy of victory, the agony of defeat. Embrace it.

I think the problem lies in when people take the anger to the extreme and it effects other parts of their lives. I'm pissed whenever the Bills lose, but I'm not going rant and rave and B word about it to my friends and family constantly. I'll be pissed for an hour or so after the game, then just say "maybe next week", of course I've been saying that all too often lately.

As far as things that happen during the week with the Bills, there's nothing I can do about it. I'm not mad Trent is gone, I'm actually happy. I question the Kelsay signing, but I don't swear up and down and give up on the Bills. You have to realize, they aren't going anywhere this year, its a complete rebuilding year. You take that into perspective and you know they are going to lose a hell of a lot more than win this season.

Nix and Gailey seem to be taking the approach that they are seeing who is and isn't worth keeping around for future years. This is a rebuilding process that will take a few years to complete.

I agree with all of this. (1) But we are being told by some people that we are not allowed to get angry. (2)Anyone that truly cares about this team has every right to be angry. (3) I'm not saying they have to be or even should be, but if they are, who am I to judge?

(4) If it was just a game, the Bills would have left Buffalo a long time ago.

thanks swampy, and let me say this:

(1) people that say we are not allowed to get angry - are just wrong - one cannot be emotional tied to a thing and not get angry from time to time;

(2) spot on - anyone that does truly cares about this team has every right to get angry;

(3) i agree with you that poeple do not have the right to judge if someone else has the right to be angry from time to time about the bills;

(4) my perspective on this may be slightly different - i do not think that becasue it's just a game is a factor in whether the bills stay or leave; i have to think that mr. wilson has recieved many, many lucrative offers to move the bills in the past but he has not done so. the reasons may vary from offer to offer but the fact that the bills are still here says something in mr. wilsons favor i think - if it were all just about business/money then one could say that the bills would have left a long time ago.

uforesircher -

So you can read everyone else's posts just fine in normal sized font? :) How does that make any sense? You can just make everything bigger.

I'm sorry you have a visual impairment, but I would think you would want to be able to easily read all posts and all text on your computer, not just the things you write. You should google "increasing windows font size" or "windows visual impairment" to help you with your disability.

and you should just get over it - it's not going to change

Who else here is so horribly fed up with how poorly this franchise is run, that they are actually starting to loathe them and enjoy their demise? I think I have actually gotten to that stage this week.

I think it really started-started during the 2006 off season. It all started when one of the worst players on the team(starters at least) - Chris Kelsy - was signed to a then enormous deal for any defensive end. This was dumbfounding to me, how could anyone actively want Kelsay on their team so much that they would horribly overpay for this man? But I got on, and looked to the draft. Our pick came and I was screaming for Ngata. Then, later in the draft, when I saw we traded up back into the first round I jumped off the couch screaming MANGOLD! Fast forward 4 years to this week and I have to relive that agony. As wee all know, this team resigned Chris Kelsay AGAIN! That has to be the lowest of all lows for me as a Bills fan. I watch this team piss away chances at winning that honestly, aren't even difficult. Like I dont blame the Bills for not drafting Clay Mathews - no one talked about him during the draft. But Maybin over Orakpo was the obvious choice - Thats why Orakpo was AT THE DRAFT, and Maybin was at home.

Ive gone on a tangent. I didn't want to start another "look what should have been" thread. I wanted to say that all week, with no conscious decision on my part, I just began to root against the Bills. I want them to lose, and lose bad. I cant explain it really, but ever since they resigned Kelsay, that normal un-dying desire to win has 180ed and now I hope they lose. I dont even care about the high draft pick (one I know hole-heartedly they will blow), I really think I just want the Bills to get what they have coming, get what they deserve. I just cant stand the thought of them winning when they make idiotic, truly unexplainable decisions with their roster.

Maybe its because I am a cold person, but the Bills deserve what they have coming, and I hope its as bad as it possibly can be. Has anyone else reached that point yet, or do I stand alone?

PS I know the above is no fault of the players themselves, but the ora of the team in its entity.

Go to the game, try to catch Ralph coming to or going from the stadium, and let him know exactly what you think. You'll feel better! :thumbsup:

thanks swampy, and let me say this:

(4) my perspective on this may be slightly different - i do not think that becasue it's just a game is a factor in whether the bills stay or leave; i have to think that mr. wilson has recieved many, many lucrative offers to move the bills in the past but he has not done so. the reasons may vary from offer to offer but the fact that the bills are still here says something in mr. wilsons favor i think - if it were all just about business/money then one could say that the bills would have left a long time ago.

My point about this was that if it was just a game, Ralph would have been financially unable to keep the team here for this long. Buffalonians have been using (and paying for) the Bills as an escape from the reality that is Buffalo for a long time.

You wouldn't be a fan if you aren't angry right now. I think some are just saying to let it go when the game is over and get back to our regular lives. That's all.

+1000 Exactly. :thumbsup:

Get into the game. Get happy, get mad, cheer, scream, cuss, jump up and down. Enjoy or get angry.

Then when it's over get back to what's really important in life.

Don't carry around anger and get to where you're wishing the team ill.

Football is a game people value enough to pay premium $$$$ and fund top player salaries...BECAUSE it is, in fact, "only a game" and thus entertaining.

If it were something of grave import to the human race, chances are it would take place in a quiet room and be boring as he** to watch.

My point about this was that if it was just a game, Ralph would have been financially unable to keep the team here for this long. Buffalonians have been using (and paying for) the Bills as an escape from the reality that is Buffalo for a long time.

swampy - i concur with that point of view - i did not understand that from the other post - sorry

Well, I would be mad, except you had to know that going into this season it was going to take some time.

I was horribly upset after losing to Miami and then getting slaughtered by Green Bay. But after going to New England and putting up the fight they did last week, I have resumed the proper perspective for the next few seasons.

There are some signs that we are changing, though- and they have been greater than just the fight from last Sunday. Letting go of Trent Edwards was a huge sign. I just read today that we also released Mitchell from IR, allowing him to become a free agent. They let WR James HardLY go this summer. Now, with the exception of giving Kelsay an extension (which is obviously NOT from game tape or results on the field) and keeping Modrak in the scouting ranks, this team is making moves to correct past errors.

It's going to take time. Spiller is an exciting player that should only get better. We need about 2 good players on the offensive line, a really good TE, a #1 receiver. We need a franchise QB to take this team back to the playoffs. Defensively we need a pass-rushing DE and a strong LB to help out our strong secondary.

This is not going to happen overnight. But, with some better drafts than we have had this decade (LOSE MODRAK!!), and some good free agent signings by Whaley, in about 3 seasons we should be much better and possibly threatening to get back to the playoffs.

Though we don't have too many young players to get excited about, the cuts of Edwards, Hardly, and Mitchell are refreshing.

That's a realistically sad conclusion- but one that I think is true.

My wife and I both left Buffalo in '99. We briefly returned in '08, but the poor job market, taxes, etc forced us back to greener pastures.

But for us we identify with the Buffalo Bills and Buffalo Sabres. It goes deeper than just sports. Its a part of who we are. Its our town. Those are our teams. Buffalo has long since been drained of manufacturing. But so has the country. The problem is, Buffalo has done nothing to replace those lost titans. While the country boomed, Buffalo barely had a pulse.

I think you are right.

The Buffalo/ Niagara region's ticket to the big time is the Bills and Sabres. Without them, there would be nothing.

Edited by Red

I left WNY in 2006 and my enthusiasm for the Bills went from fervent to apathetic. Last season pretty much did me in. I work with Dick Jauron's brother and it got to the point where I didn't want to talk about the Bills with another fan. If the organization isn't going to make an effort, why should I? When they start giving a **** and try to put a decent product on the field, I'll start caring as well. Meanwhile, I will from time to time, wish a severe beating upon them. I also do not want my son to be a Bills fan. He has no reason to hitch his wagon to the overall Buffalo curse.

I've rooted for them to lose. Many times. But only when and if it's in their long-term interest.

Seriously, this Sunday and for maybe a few after that, turn the TV off and maybe go for a hike in the mountains, or learn how to windsurf or something. You're letting this mean too much. Honestly, if it makes you feel consistently bad, it's time to take a vacation.

It's blasphemy, but I'd suggest you stay off the forums for a few weeks too. After you start feeling better, go watch tapes of the games if you need to, but expect mostly losses. That's what we need, which is good, because that's what we're going to get.

Who else here is so horribly fed up with how poorly this franchise is run, that they are actually starting to loathe them and enjoy their demise? I think I have actually gotten to that stage this week.

I think it really started-started during the 2006 off season. It all started when one of the worst players on the team(starters at least) - Chris Kelsy - was signed to a then enormous deal for any defensive end. This was dumbfounding to me, how could anyone actively want Kelsay on their team so much that they would horribly overpay for this man? But I got on, and looked to the draft. Our pick came and I was screaming for Ngata. Then, later in the draft, when I saw we traded up back into the first round I jumped off the couch screaming MANGOLD! Fast forward 4 years to this week and I have to relive that agony. As wee all know, this team resigned Chris Kelsay AGAIN! That has to be the lowest of all lows for me as a Bills fan. I watch this team piss away chances at winning that honestly, aren't even difficult. Like I dont blame the Bills for not drafting Clay Mathews - no one talked about him during the draft. But Maybin over Orakpo was the obvious choice - Thats why Orakpo was AT THE DRAFT, and Maybin was at home.

Ive gone on a tangent. I didn't want to start another "look what should have been" thread. I wanted to say that all week, with no conscious decision on my part, I just began to root against the Bills. I want them to lose, and lose bad. I cant explain it really, but ever since they resigned Kelsay, that normal un-dying desire to win has 180ed and now I hope they lose. I dont even care about the high draft pick (one I know hole-heartedly they will blow), I really think I just want the Bills to get what they have coming, get what they deserve. I just cant stand the thought of them winning when they make idiotic, truly unexplainable decisions with their roster.

Maybe its because I am a cold person, but the Bills deserve what they have coming, and I hope its as bad as it possibly can be. Has anyone else reached that point yet, or do I stand alone?

PS I know the above is no fault of the players themselves, but the ora of the team in its entity.

+1

Or it could be the aura of the team in it's entirety.

Or maybe the oral of the team it it's dentity.

Or is it the ore of the team in it's density.

<sigh> 2:30 AM and nowhere to go.

:nana:

I do not have the energy to be angry about something I cannot control.