For all you veteran Bills fan...

Just have a question for all you long time bills fans. By long time im talking like 30-40 years. Anyways, my question is: Has there ever been a lower point to be a bills fan? If yes, when? Just curious. Go bills :bag:

Been following them since the 1960s I'd say the teams of the late 60s were the absolute worst--they could not beat anybody. And the 0 for 20 stretch against the Dolphins in the 1970s was worse than the current miserable record against the Pats.

Having said that, the last decade has been extremely painful. But what somebody said about the Bills earlier this week is true--they have never been a good team with stretches of badness, but a bad team with only two good teams: the team of 1963-66 and the team of 1988-1999.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Been following them since the 1960s I'd say the teams of the late 60s were the absolute worst--they could not beat anybody. And the 0 for 20 stretch against the Dolphins in the 1970s was worse than the current miserable record against the Pats.

Having said that, the last decade has been extremely painful. But what somebody said about the Bills earlier this week is true--they have never been a good team with stretches of badness, but a bad team with only two good teams: the team of 1963-66 and the team of 1988-1999.

Yes I have seen worse times. I remember the early 80's 2-14 and 4-12 seasons and still wore my Bills jacket in support with bandwagon fans harassing me daily.I have also had the opportunity to watch the AZ Cardinals go longer without success (two decades) before they became any good and that did not happen until Bidwell turned the club operations over to his young son Michael and the new ways of drafting,bringing in free agents,the right coach and paying to keep good players instead of letting them go started along with winning.We need a fresh younger mind to run this at the very top!

15 loosing seasons in 21 years 1967- 1987; Marv Levy's first full season of coaching the Bills. There has definitely been more bad years than good and have I been in the stands or on the sidelines for many (since 1962) except when I was in the US Navy from 70-76. Here is a breakdown:

67 4-10 Joel Collier coach

68 1-12-1 Harvey Johnson friend of Wilson

69 4-10 John Rauch

70 3-10-1 " "

71 1-13 Replay on the Harvey Johnson as coach wannabe

72 4-9-1 Saban took over and for three years after 73 9-5; 74 9-5 & 75 8-6

76 2-12 Jim Ringo

77 3-11 Jim Ringo

in 78 Chuck Knox took over, 5-11 his first season coaching and had a few winning seasons until he left for more money because Wilson wouldn't pay him

Two 2 & 14 seasons in 84 & 85 Kay Stephenson and then the all time scholar Hank Bullough before he was fired half way through the 1986 season and Marv Levy took over coaching

Here is link: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/

The two Harvey Johnson years were especially painful. Johnson was a personnel guy, a scout, and he didn't want to be the HC. He only did it because RW told him he needed him to step in for a season, and then another season 3 years later. So there was no sense of hope about those seasons in that you knew the guy coaching didn't even want the job and next year there would be a new coach and system, etc., and everything starting over.

This year is hopefully the start of a new era with Nix/Gailey so there is a lot more hope. Still, the late 60s and early 70s there was always the hope that we would some day get to the super bowl. We were young then and it seemed like we had all the time in the world. Now we have been to 4 in a row and lost all of them and we desperately want to win at least one super bowl, but to even get back to the playoffs seems like too high a climb at this point for the immediate future. So in that sense there may be more of an accumulated despair of 11 years that is palpable. But in terms of shear misery of having a really terrible team we are not even close to the depths this franchise has plummeted to in the past.

No question. The past few years really don't come close, IMO.

I was born in 1965, and I consider my Bills fandom to have started in 1972, so it is about 38 years on this bus for me. I realize, statistically, the period from 1967-1972 might have been the worst, but I can't really comment on those years.

Honestly, I think the last 3 or 4 years are as bad as it gets, in my lifetime, even if the win total is not as bad as other times. When I was younger, I didn't follow the NFL, as in every team, as closely as I do now. I watched the Bills game, and whatever game was on Monday night...saw lots of the Raiders, Cowboys, Steelers and Dolphins in those days. Following other teams entailed looking at box scores. Even if you knew who was the leading St Louis Cardinals, you didn't know much about the inner-workings of teams. You couldn't name the GM of every team, unless you really did some homework. I was younger, Ralph Wilson was younger, the economy in WNY wasn't as bad...there was always a sense, to me, that better things were right around the corner.

Now, I am thinking the only way that the current downward spiral is going to stop, is if the Bills somehow get very lucky and strike gold, while digging with a garden hoe...or there is a death in the family, and the Bills fortunes are left to someone else. It is a scary proposition, because, as we all know, it could mean the franchise, as we know it, comes to an end. And I hate feeling that way.

Even in the bad ol' 70's, and mid 80's (the 1979-1981 Bills teams are my all-time favorites), there were questions about the Bills ownership, but it was a lot easier to defend, as the playing field was level. The gap between poor ownership and good ownership wasn't as wide as it is today. In the 70's and 80's, there wasn't as long a history of unfortunate decision making, to build an opinion.

To me, while 1984 and 1985 were hideous, there was always the spectre of Jim Kelly hanging over the team...if he didn't become a Buffalo Bill, you knew the Bills were going to get something of value for him. In the 1970's, we had OJ, who made even the darkest of Sundays a little brighter. But now, I don't know. I still look forward to watching the games every week, and I still hope that they will win every week (I hate the argument that we should be rooting for the Bills to lose, to ensure a higher draft pick), but there really isn't one part of the team, (offense, defense, coaching, ownership) that you can really sit back and think, "okay at least we have this going for us." It doesn't seem like the Bills draft all that well, they don't seem to develop players... As Dylan sang, "everything is broken".

Edited by Buftex

I was born in 1965, and I consider my Bills fandom to have started in 1972, so it is about 38 years on this bus for me. I realize, statistically, the period from 1967-1972 might have been the worst, but I can't really comment on those years.

Honestly, I think the last 3 or 4 years are as bad as it gets, in my lifetime, even if the win total is not as bad as other times. When I was younger, I didn't follow the NFL, as in every team, as closely as I do now. I watched the Bills game, and whatever game was on Monday night...saw lots of the Raiders, Cowboys, Steelers and Dolphins in those days. Following other teams entailed looking at box scores. Even if you knew who was the leading St Louis Cardinals, you didn't know much about the inner-workings of teams. You couldn't name the GM of every team, unless you really did some homework. I was younger, Ralph Wilson was younger, the economy in WNY wasn't as bad...there was always a sense, to me, that better things were right around the corner.

Now, I am thinking the only way that the current downward spiral is going to stop, is if the Bills somehow get very lucky and strike gold, while digging with a garden hoe...or there is a death in the family, and the Bills fortunes are left to someone else. It is a scary proposition, because, as we all know, it could mean the franchise, as we know it, comes to an end. And I hate feeling that way.

Even in the bad ol' 70's, and mid 80's (the 1979-1981 Bills teams are my all-time favorites), there were questions about the Bills ownership, but it was a lot easier to defend, as the playing field was level. The gap between poor ownership and good ownership wasn't as wide as it is today. In the 70's and 80's, there wasn't as long a history of unfortunate decision making, to build an opinion.

To me, while 1984 and 1985 were hideous, there was always the spectre of Jim Kelly hanging over the team...if he didn't become a Buffalo Bill, you knew the Bills were going to get something of value for him. In the 1970's, we had OJ, who made even the darkest of Sundays a little brighter. But now, I don't know. I still look forward to watching the games every week, and I still hope that they will win every week (I hate the argument that we should be rooting for the Bills to lose, to ensure a higher draft pick), but there really isn't one part of the team, (offense, defense, coaching, ownership) that you can really sit back and think, "okay at least we have this going for us." It doesn't seem like the Bills draft all that well, they don't seem to develop players... As Dylan sang, "everything is broken".

FTW

When I think about the 00's, the naughts, whatever you want to call the 2,000s. I dont know what we hang our hat on. The 60s had AFL championships for those that remember. The 70s had juice and the electic co, the late 70s-very early 80s had knox and the Bermuda triangle. Then the late 80-90s gave us the greatest Bills. But this decade-plus is what? The one year Bledsoe-Moulds-Price clicked? What intercepting a rookie Sanchez multilple times last year? Some McGee kickoff returns? Seems more like the heart-ripping, soul-crushing Monday night losses to the Patriots and Cowboys are the face and enduring memory of the last decade. I dont think any fans are going to looking back with fond memories of the Mularkey-Williams-Jauron years.

This decade isn't even close to the lows endured by long time Bills fans

Previous to Chuck Knox the team couldn't have home preseason games because the fans wouldn't attend, they stayed away in droves

The entire decade of the 70's the team didn't win one game against Don Schula's Dolphins, only one winning year and no playoffs,kinda like this decade with the Patriots

Back to back 2-14 years in the 80's with half empty stadium's and the fans that did attend sitting with bags on their heads

Not for nothing, but in the 70's-80's it was like Ralph Wilson had his head so far up his $#@ that he only became aware after years of not filling the stadium.

Recently I think he has become over involved in everything, its like an older version of Jerry Jones with some Al Davis sprinkled on top. Make no mistake that this is Wilson's team and his thumb prints are all over it. Tom Donahoe had to go, the fans and the media said so...

I wouldn't be surprised at all to hear it was Wilson's decision to crap-can Trent Edwards, as he listens to his fans and the villagers were out with their torches after those first two games. Trent Edwards had to go, the fans said so....after reading what was being said about him in blogs and message boards. I also wouldn't be surprised to hear that he has a dominate influence on who is obtained in free agency and who gets drafted.

Ralph Wilson is a throwback to the old days were owners were so hands on it ruined the team. Like Bill Bidwell...like Robert Irsay.... like Al davis is now. What really gets me is the man is smart enough to hire great head coach, like he did with Chuck Knox, he knows that will make the team a winner, he knows that winning will fill the seats. yet for some inexplicable reason he keeps trying to get by with these brain dead losers.

He had a shot at Mike Shanahan, and he blew it. Ralph Wilson needs to let go of all the football operations to a PROVEN winner, kinda like the way Robert Irsay's son Jim Irsay did when he hired Bill Polian

Sadly, at this point I think Bills fans will be waiting until this owner passes... all we can do is hope the next owner will keep the team in Buffalo and is smart enough to spend the $ to hire a great GM / HC.

This decade isn't even close to the lows endured by long time Bills fans

Previous to Chuck Knox the team couldn't have home preseason games because the fans wouldn't attend, they stayed away in droves

The entire decade of the 70's the team didn't win one game against Don Schula's Dolphins, only one winning year and no playoffs,kinda like this decade with the Patriots

Back to back 2-14 years in the 80's with half empty stadium's and the fans that did attend sitting with bags on their heads

Not for nothing, but in the 70's-80's it was like Ralph Wilson had his head so far up his $#@ that he only became aware after years of not filling the stadium.

Recently I think he has become over involved in everything, its like an older version of Jerry Jones with some Al Davis sprinkled on top. Make no mistake that this is Wilson's team and his thumb prints are all over it. Tom Donahoe had to go, the fans and the media said so...

I wouldn't be surprised at all to hear it was Wilson's decision to crap-can Trent Edwards, as he listens to his fans and the villagers were out with their torches after those first two games. Trent Edwards had to go, the fans said so....after reading what was being said about him in blogs and message boards. I also wouldn't be surprised to hear that he has a dominate influence on who is obtained in free agency and who gets drafted.

Ralph Wilson is a throwback to the old days were owners were so hands on it ruined the team. Like Bill Bidwell...like Robert Irsay.... like Al davis is now. What really gets me is the man is smart enough to hire great head coach, like he did with Chuck Knox, he knows that will make the team a winner, he knows that winning will fill the seats. yet for some inexplicable reason he keeps trying to get by with these brain dead losers.

He had a shot at Mike Shanahan, and he blew it. Ralph Wilson needs to let go of all the football operations to a PROVEN winner, kinda like the way Robert Irsay's son Jim Irsay did when he hired Bill Polian

Sadly, at this point I think Bills fans will be waiting until this owner passes... all we can do is hope the next owner will keep the team in Buffalo and is smart enough to spend the $ to hire a great GM / HC.

Go back and read your own post. You sure make it sound like the current state is pretty bad, yet you say it isn't even close? Not sure why so many agree with you.

Maybe it is the optimist in you all that has died in me...but I think the current state of the Bills is far more hopeless than it has ever been, in my lifetime.

My gut reaction was to agree that now isn't as bad as other times, but when you sit back and really think about it... like I said in my earlier post, while the Bills endured some seasons with worse records (back to back 2-14 seasons in 1984 & 1985), I think the current Bills, say the last 4 seasons, are worse. They are now on a decade plus stretch of futility as far as merely qualifying for a playoff spot. They have only sniffed a playoff spot once in the last 10 years? There haven't been any stretches of futility as prolonged as this, in the Bills 50 year history. And, realistically, the end of that streak isn't even in view yet.

Back in the 70's and 80's. As bad as the Bills were from 19976-1978, and 1983-1986, people seem to forget, the Bills were actually a pretty good team when OJ was in his prime (1973-1975), and again, when Chuck Knox was shaping the team (1979-1981). They went 4-5 in the 1982 season, after a promising start was derailed by the players strike. Kay Stephenson, as bad as he was, got an aging, beat up team to 8-8 in 1983...then the bottom fell out in 1984 and 1985. Might those years have been different if the Bills hadn't lost their best player (Joe Cribbs), and one of their two most significant draft pick of the decade (Jim Kelly), to the USFL?

We have a franchise that isn't as talented as most in the league, on the field, and is operating with a hand tied behind its' back, off the field. It is one thing for a team to stink, because a series of bad breaks, bust draft picks, injuries...etc. But, the Bills, as they are now, don't even compete off the field, on a level playing field with most other NFL teams...and their limitations are self imposed.

Edited by Buftex

i am 58 yrs old, saw my first bills game in 1960 against the denver broncos, they of the vertically striped socks fame. i think it is an interesting question about whether the past decade is the "lowest of the low".through out bills history the valleys outnumber the peaks by a large margin, but in all honesty, after sitting through this past decade, i would consider it the worst of the worst. the brand of football that i have witnessed has , for the most part, been unwatchable. up to now, the bills would get on a couple of runs, the mid-sixties, the saban-O J years, the knox era, and of course the super bowl runs. nothing has been as futile as this past decade due to the brand of bad football and the obvious duration of it.

When I was a kid in the late 60's-70's, even though the team sucked, there were still players that kids could love and go emulate out in the street or backyard - OJ, Bobby Chandler, JD Hill... The 80s teams had beloved characters like Smearlas, Haslett etc (and even though Fergy probably wasn't beloved then - at least he was a face on the franchise - and I think is appreciated more now in retrospect).

One thing I always feel bad about for my kids is not just that the team has sucked their whole life - but also the unbelievable lack of any great or even charismatic players they could idolize - just personel-wise a constant stream of boring, mediocre or flat out sucky players. I started a tradition of every year buyng them a Bills calendar every Christmas just so they could have a record year-to-year of their 'heroes'. Now it is more a joke - to go through them you have to laugh not to cry. Has there every been a collection of crappier, more uninteresting/boring 'star' players than this team over the last 10 years...

The two Harvey Johnson years were especially painful. Johnson was a personnel guy, a scout, and he didn't want to be the HC. He only did it because RW told him he needed him to step in for a season, and then another season 3 years later. So there was no sense of hope about those seasons in that you knew the guy coaching didn't even want the job and next year there would be a new coach and system, etc., and everything starting over.

This year is hopefully the start of a new era with Nix/Gailey so there is a lot more hope. Still, the late 60s and early 70s there was always the hope that we would some day get to the super bowl. We were young then and it seemed like we had all the time in the world. Now we have been to 4 in a row and lost all of them and we desperately want to win at least one super bowl, but to even get back to the playoffs seems like too high a climb at this point for the immediate future. So in that sense there may be more of an accumulated despair of 11 years that is palpable. But in terms of shear misery of having a really terrible team we are not even close to the depths this franchise has plummeted to in the past.

The Harvey Johnson thing was bizarre. Imagine that happening today. It was the first thing I thought of, when I saw this thread.

Go back and read your own post. You sure make it sound like the current state is pretty bad, yet you say it isn't even close? Not sure why so many agree with you.

Maybe it is the optimist in you all that has died in me...but I think the current state of the Bills is far more hopeless than it has ever been, in my lifetime.

My gut reaction was to agree that now isn't as bad as other times, but when you sit back and really think about it... like I said in my earlier post, while the Bills endured some seasons with worse records (back to back 2-14 seasons in 1984 & 1985), I think the current Bills, say the last 4 seasons, are worse. They are now on a decade plus stretch of futility as far as merely qualifying for a playoff spot. They have only sniffed a playoff spot once in the last 10 years? There haven't been any stretches of futility as prolonged as this, in the Bills 50 year history. And, realistically, the end of that streak isn't even in view yet.

Back in the 70's and 80's. As bad as the Bills were from 19976-1978, and 1983-1986, people seem to forget, the Bills were actually a pretty good team when OJ was in his prime (1973-1975), and again, when Chuck Knox was shaping the team (1979-1981). They went 4-5 in the 1982 season, after a promising start was derailed by the players strike. Kay Stephenson, as bad as he was, got an aging, beat up team to 8-8 in 1983...then the bottom fell out in 1984 and 1985. Might those years have been different if the Bills hadn't lost their best player (Joe Cribbs), and one of their two most significant draft pick of the decade (Jim Kelly), to the USFL?

We have a franchise that isn't as talented as most in the league, on the field, and is operating with a hand tied behind its' back, off the field. It is one thing for a team to stink, because a series of bad breaks, bust draft picks, injuries...etc. But, the Bills, as they are now, don't even compete off the field, on a level playing field with most other NFL teams...and their limitations are self imposed

The reason you think the current state of the Bills is the worst is because it is still fresh in your mind and it is still clouded by the distressing frustration of it all. First off you simply can't compare 7-9 or 6-10 to 2-14 seasons, no way, no how. as the 2-14 season has absolutely NO HOPE as every player in every position sucks. Bill Polian even stated we are 2-14 on merit because we have the worst talent in the NFL, if anyone would know it would be him.

This decade the Bills were 9-7 and one win away from the playoffs, they simply couldn't beat the Steelers backups and choked....coaching!

I disagree with you about the talent on the field, the talent has been there and it is because this owner refuses to hire the proper head coach / GM and is the sole reason this team has bad this decade. The teams fielded every year in this decade have only been about a hand full of players or less away from the playoffs, every year!

The first three years under Jauron the Bills could have easily made the playoffs if not for his moronic drafts-and coaching hires. The first year Levy hires an unknown OC in Steve fairchild who never called plays in St Louis under HC Mike Martz, still he must have figured he could setup a that Mike Martz high powered St Louis "greatest show on turf" offense. The Bills actually started to get better on offense the O line got better, the QB got better, but then Fairchild leaves to take a HC job in College.

First mistake, instead of hiring a proven vet OC, he promotes Turk Schonert from QB coach to OC, that decision was so bad that the guy isn't even in the NFL anymore in any capacity!

More mistakes, he trades away his only decent OLT tackle, he cuts G Derrick Dockery and then cuts RT Langston Walker when he plays poorly at LT, fires OC Schonert two weeks before the season starts. So now the QB Losman and Edwards have endured constant changing of coordinators every year of their time in Buffalo.The Bills problem on the O line were clear in that Jets game in 08 where the center and two guards tried to block Kris Jenkins, the guy was triple teamed and still got to the QB., so the bills sign a FA center and draft two guards.

Things went downhill when Jauron was left to his own devices, the Bills in 07 with Jason Peters were only one decent player from having the best O line in the NFL, they needed a center. Instead of drafting a Center, Jauron drafts CB's up the ying yang. Instead of replacing 18 year vet O line coach Jim McNally when he retires he promotes from within and the line goes into the toilet under a rookie.

Its about coaching, its always about coaching... the Bills owner has refused to hire a known commodity at HC and GM and would rather roll the dice on if the new guy can do the job or not. You know why he would prefer to roll the dice, RW has found that if you keep the team on the verge of the playoffs he can keep costs down and the stadium filled ...which is good enough for him.

No question. The past few years really don't come close, IMO.

I don't know Dean, the past few years have been very frustrating for me.

This is the longest period without a playoff team and it is also a period with the fewest good players. At least the 70's had OJ and the Saban II anf Knox era's. The 80's sarted ok and ended good and on the upswing.

The 2000 - 09 era had nothing. Below average teams, boring teams, poor cochaes, revolving door of players, very few star players.

The league is set up to favor the poor teams and enable their improvement and Buffalo has not been able to take advantage.

We have ZERO wall of Fame players from this era. Ok ... Maybe Moorman.

The reason you think the current state of the Bills is the worst is because it is still fresh in your mind and it is still clouded by the distressing frustration of it all. First off you simply can't compare 7-9 or 6-10 to 2-14 seasons, no way, no how. as the 2-14 season has absolutely NO HOPE as every player in every position sucks. Bill Polian even stated we are 2-14 on merit because we have the worst talent in the NFL, if anyone would know it would be him.

This decade the Bills were 9-7 and one win away from the playoffs, they simply couldn't beat the Steelers backups and choked....coaching!

I disagree with you about the talent on the field, the talent has been there and it is because this owner refuses to hire the proper head coach / GM and is the sole reason this team has bad this decade. The teams fielded every year in this decade have only been about a hand full of players or less away from the playoffs, every year!

The first three years under Jauron the Bills could have easily made the playoffs if not for his moronic drafts-and coaching hires. The first year Levy hires an unknown OC in Steve fairchild who never called plays in St Louis under HC Mike Martz, still he must have figured he could setup a that Mike Martz high powered St Louis "greatest show on turf" offense. The Bills actually started to get better on offense the O line got better, the QB got better, but then Fairchild leaves to take a HC job in College.

First mistake, instead of hiring a proven vet OC, he promotes Turk Schonert from QB coach to OC, that decision was so bad that the guy isn't even in the NFL anymore in any capacity!

More mistakes, he trades away his only decent OLT tackle, he cuts G Derrick Dockery and then cuts RT Langston Walker when he plays poorly at LT, fires OC Schonert two weeks before the season starts. So now the QB Losman and Edwards have endured constant changing of coordinators every year of their time in Buffalo.The Bills problem on the O line were clear in that Jets game in 08 where the center and two guards tried to block Kris Jenkins, the guy was triple teamed and still got to the QB., so the bills sign a FA center and draft two guards.

Things went downhill when Jauron was left to his own devices, the Bills in 07 with Jason Peters were only one decent player from having the best O line in the NFL, they needed a center. Instead of drafting a Center, Jauron drafts CB's up the ying yang. Instead of replacing 18 year vet O line coach Jim McNally when he retires he promotes from within and the line goes into the toilet under a rookie.

Its about coaching, its always about coaching... the Bills owner has refused to hire a known commodity at HC and GM and would rather roll the dice on if the new guy can do the job or not. You know why he would prefer to roll the dice, RW has found that if you keep the team on the verge of the playoffs he can keep costs down and the stadium filled ...which is good enough for him.

Oh well...I think you completely missed my point. But, once again, you make a good case for my point. You say it is "always about coaching", but then make the argument, that, no, it is really about the owner. Honestly, and I don't mean any disrespect to you, or anyone else insisting that things were worse before, I think you have exceeded in your role as the optimistic fan. I am not being sarcastic, but I envy you.

To me, I would sacrifice ten 7-9 seasons for two 2-14 seasons, knowing that things would get much better. Now, the Bills are stuck in a time loop, where they are annually ranked somewhere in the bottom third of the worst teams in the league, with an owner who has no clue it appears (or desire as you claim) as to how to really stem the tide, circling the drain. Even if you think the Bills have a shot at making the playoffs this season, you do realize, there has never been a more futile stretch in the Bills history, than the last decade? I think, if the Bills start making more of the right moves, and not the wrong ones, they could be a playoff contender in, say, 2012 at the earliest. That would extend the current streak from 10 to 12 years. As bad as some individual seasons have been, in the past, I don't know how you could not see that the current waive of mediocrity (and I am being kind) is as bad as it gets.

You think I am just thinking now is worse, because it is fresh on my mind...I think you think now is better, because you are so close, you don't have a bigger perspective. Warning: objects in mirror may be closer than they appear!

Edited by Buftex

Record-wise, the 00-10 Bills won't be the worst era in team history. But then again, teams these days have more opportunity to get better and faster. There's UFA, a salary cap, revenue sharing, et al. In those previous years that were worse on the field, the only way to win was to draft well. So while the past 10+ years doesn't look as bad on paper and certainly not on the field, going this long and being this mediocre to bad is harder to fathom.

It's hard to compare eras, although the attention to the game is exponentially greater. And while RW has threatened to move, the team is on more uncertain footing now than it's ever been,

JMO.

Record-wise, the 00-10 Bills won't be the worst era in team history. But then again, teams these days have more opportunity to get better and faster. There's UFA, a salary cap, revenue sharing, et al. In those previous years that were worse on the field, the only way to win was to draft well. So while the past 10+ years doesn't look as bad on paper and certainly not on the field, going this long and being this mediocre to bad is harder to fathom.

It's hard to compare eras, although the attention to the game is exponentially greater. And while RW has threatened to move, the team is on more uncertain footing now than it's ever been,

JMO.

Excellent post!

And this is why the Bills are worse now, than before. The Bills don't use the tools they have to get better, in an effective way. The more opportunity everyone has to improve themselves, the worse the Bills (or should I say their owner) look. The NFL strives for parity more than any pro sports league, to level the playing field, if you will. But, our owner/management seems to be more comfortable with the table slanted against him. It gives him an excuse...

Excellent post!

And this is why the Bills are worse now, than before. The Bills don't use the tools they have to get better, in an effective way. The more opportunity everyone has to improve themselves, the worse the Bills (or should I say their owner) look. The NFL strives for parity more than any pro sports league, to level the playing field, if you will. But, our owner/management seems to be more comfortable with the table slanted against him. It gives him an excuse...

Actually, I would argue that objectively the Bills are nowhere near the worst they have ever been. They have fielded far worse teams.

But some may experience this period as worse due to their age, experience or the perception the Bills aren't properly using their resources. That says more about the fan than the team, IMO.