Do we really need to draft a new Quarterback?

I really don't want to get you guys started this morning but let me share my opinnion.

I have seen all the great quarterbacks suffer with less starts then Fitzpatrick. My guess is he has around 12.

The offensive line is still a problem but Fitpatrick handles the rush differently. He will lead a receiver rather then take the sack and this is the main reason for inconsistancy and poor accuracy.

At this point I stick with Fitzpatrick until I find an uncorrectable problem.

So do we need to draft and gamble on a Rookie QB in the first round?

You tell me?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I really don't want to get you guys started this morning but let me share my opinnion.

I have seen all the great quarterbacks suffer with less starts then Fitzpatrick. My guess is he has around 12.

The offensive line is still a problem but Fitpatrick handles the rush differently. He will lead a receiver rather then take the sack and this is the main reason for inconsistancy and poor accuracy.

You tell me?

Yes, you draft a rookie QB in the first round if you think he can be your franchise QB. What you saw against New England is what Fitz has always brought to the table: a large pair of ca-hones with a lack of consistency in throwing accuracy. Fitz is a gamer. There is no doubt about that in my mind, but you need to be able to hit open guys in critical situations (in the red zone and in the last 3 minutes when down) to get over the 'almost win' hump.

You tell me?

Yes, if they identify a QB they think has franchise potential. Or trade for one if possible. Fitz is a good backup, but he's inaccurate and will turn the ball over as well.

Yes, you draft a rookie QB in the first round if you think he can be your franchise QB. What you saw against New England is what Fitz has always brought to the table: a large pair of ca-hones with a lack of consistency in throwing accuracy. Fitz is a gamer. There is no doubt about that in my mind, but you need to be able to hit open guys in critical situations (in the red zone and in the last 3 minutes when down) to get over the 'almost win' hump.

You need better protect to make the throws.

Edited by Another Point of View

You tell me?

Good question. I've been wondering the same thing. I think you only draft a QB at this point if you are 100% sure he is the guy. The only QB I see so far that I have that much confidence about is Luck. Otherwise, I think you draft the best LT, LB, or DL avaiable.

This.

The guys can play, but something makes him sail passes on occasion and he's not terribly accurate to begin with. He's a band aid not a solution.

I liken Fitzy to Jon Kitna of the Bengals a few years ago. Not a great quarterback but can win you some games and plays hard every snap. When it was Palmers turn to play that was a different Bengals team because Palmer was that much better

If there is QB next year that Gailey feels he can win with, then you can bet everything he'll take him. A more accurate QB wins yesterday. Loved Fitzy and his performance yesterday but he cant take us to the next level

I liken Fitzy to Jon Kitna of the Bengals a few years ago. Not a great quarterback but can win you some games and plays hard every snap. When it was Palmers turn to play that was a different Bengals team because Palmer was that much better

If there is QB next year that Gailey feels he can win with, then you can bet everything he'll take him. A more accurate QB wins yesterday. Loved Fitzy and his performance yesterday but he cant take us to the next level

I agree. Fitz is going to have an INT for every TD he throws.

Let's put the question into perspective:

Where is the biggest gap in what we have compared to what we need, talent wise?

a. Fitz at QB

b. Our offensive tackles

c. Our defensive line

d. Our linebackers

Depending on how Fitz progresses and how next years talent looks, I can imagine fixing the lines becoming a bigger priority.

Yes, of course you need to draft a quarterback. The problem is, Fitzpatrick will win a few games and manage to blow the number one overall pick.

Not drafting a quarterback and trying to build around Fitzpatrick is a horrible idea.

He's a good backup and a competitor, but he's just not the future.

He can stay around the mentor the new kid, though.

+1

Play Fitz next year for all I care but if they don't figure out how to get a QB on this team by the end of the draft, it's over... it's gonna be as frustrating as this year...

+.5

Let's put the question into perspective:

Where is the biggest gap in what we have compared to what we need, talent wise?

a. Fitz at QB

b. Our offensive tackles

c. Our defensive line

d. Our linebackers

Depending on how Fitz progresses and how next years talent looks, I can imagine fixing the lines becoming a bigger priority.

+.5

Though you might be right, it's going to be terribly hard to feed this idea to the starved masses

Edited by Sabre Bill

You tell me?

Games started: 23

Games played in: 29.

Rather than guess, just google "Ryan Fitzpatrick stats". Pro-football-reference.com is the best site out there.

I agree we need to invest in a franchise QB. I posted somewhere else that I like that Kellen Moore out of Boise State. I think where he falls is dependent on where he is drafted. If we can trade back into the first to get him, and go with a RT(yeah I said it RT), with our first pick, I would love to do that. Fitz would be a good stop gap guy. He has been in the league a while, super smart. Lets groom a franchise QB like he should be. Let him sit and learn for a few years behind Fitzy, and when he come in, he should be pretty ready, ie Aaron Rodgers and Brett Favre. Granted we don't have Brett Favre as a mentor, same concept.

It depends.

If the Bills are in a top 5 slot and a qb is there that they think will be a great one, they will probably not be able to pass up the chance to take him.

A team which picks that early is well placed to fill other needs after round 1. For instance, a solid RT can sometimes be found late in the 2nd round (see Jeremy Trueblood). Very early 2nd round picks also have much value in terms of trading down.

With all of the differing opinions on this board (a good thing imo), one thing I think most of us can agree on is the fact that in April/11, the Bills will be well situated to make vast improvements to the team.