Bills WR's

Jerry Jabber

70 members have voted

1. 1. Are the Bills WR's getting open?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't Know

There have been reports from fans that have went to the games, TV & radio announcers, that the Bills WR's are not getting open. There also have been reports that the Bills WR's have been getting open, but have not been thrown to.

From what you've actually seen (not opinion, but what you've visually seen over the past 2 games) are the Bills WR's getting open or not?

They are getting enough space for the ball to be thrown into their, trent just wants his receivers to be way open and you dont get that kinda open often in the NFL and that wasnt a knock on trent its just what i observed, have you guys notice how we are one of the only teams that does not throw the "back shoulder" pass, i have NFL sunday ticket and i seen tht throw alot.

They are getting enough space for the ball to be thrown into their, trent just wants his receivers to be way open and you dont get that kinda open often in the NFL and that wasnt a knock on trent its just what i observed, have you guys notice how we are one of the only teams that does not throw the "back shoulder" pass, i have NFL sunday ticket and i seen tht throw alot.

Indeed.

Did anyone notice a few completions against McKelvin (for one)? He had GREAT coverage on a few. Still, the passes were complete. Why? Because the ball was thrown where it had to be thrown and the WR made the play.

Some seem to think a WR has to look like he's running by himself through an open pasture to be open. That's nonsense.

For the record, I have WAY more confidence in the Bills WRs making the catch than I do Trent making the good throw (or even letting it go).

EDIT: Alex Smith just completed a pass into good coverage. You complete 0% of the passes you don't throw.

Edited by The Dean

I saw guys open in the Fish game. I saw guys open in the Clowns MNF Game 2 years ago. Same old same old. There's always been and will continue to be guys open enough to throw to. One of the reasons that some think guys aren't open is because Trent is ducking and running at the first whiff of a defender. Saw it seveeral times Sunday including a couple of plays on the last "drive". Eli Manning, Drew Brees, and heck, even Alex Smith tonight hung in on several drop backs that Trent would have already been long gone.

Looking forward to Sunday's game with a (more) real QB under center ...

go BILLs !!

There have been reports from fans that have went to the games, TV & radio announcers, that the Bills WR's are not getting open. There also have been reports that the Bills WR's have been getting open, but have not been thrown to.

From what you've actually seen (not opinion, but what you've visually seen over the past 2 games) are the Bills WR's getting open or not?

This is the NFL, if you are a foot in front of someone, you are open.

The term getting open is too vague.

Today Colston would shake the CB at the LOS, be free for a second and the ball was delivered by Brees, easy first down. On Sunday afternoom Rodgers was delivering a pass to Driver, Driver had yet to break his route on a comeback.

Are the WRs getting open? At some point I would say they are, the QBs have to have the anticipation skills to notice them.

Our wide outs are not the best group in the NFL. We also do not have a true number 1 who can do it all. It also does not seem that they fight for the ball.

Having said all that, it is a bit more complicated than that. One of the issues that most be folded into all of this is whether the pass protection is good enough to consistently allow the Bills to run the routes that they want including patterns that take longer to develop.

The answer is clearly no.

Indeed.

Did anyone notice a few completions against McKelvin (for one)? He had GREAT coverage on a few. Still, the passes were complete. Why? Because the ball was thrown where it had to be thrown and the WR made the play.

Some seem to think a WR has to look like he's running by himself through an open pasture to be open. That's nonsense.

For the record, I have WAY more confidence in the Bills WRs making the catch than I do Trent making the good throw (or even letting it go).

EDIT: Alex Smith just completed a pass into good coverage. You complete 0% of the passes you don't throw.

The receivers are certainly better at their position than Trent is at QB. he isn't throwing the ball and letting them make a play. Remember when there was this notion floating around, that Edwards wasn't passing the ball because DJ didn't want him to, that DJ wanted him to play too conservative and was holding Edwards back. HAHAHAHAHA!

Edited by ThrowIt

It was eye opening when the commentators called out the Bills receivers towards the end of the Green Bay game. When they showed the replay, it looked like all of our receivers were double covered. Because other teams are able to get pressure rushing only 3 - 4 guys, this may continue to be the case.

I said this after the game, when they showed that replay, they only highlighted the two receivers that were covered (to make their point). What they didn't talk about was how Parrish was open TWICE on that play. First, in the middle of the field, then again streaking down the sideline when Trent was scrambling.

I don't care if we lose this week, but boy am I glad I don't half to watch Trent.

With Schobel gone the Bills saved about $8 million that they could have used to shore up the passing game. For whatever reason, it appears that they wrongly thought that they could compete in the league with what they have.

It was eye opening when the commentators called out the Bills receivers towards the end of the Green Bay game. When they showed the replay, it looked like all of our receivers were double covered. Because other teams are able to get pressure rushing only 3 - 4 guys, this may continue to be the case.

funny cause i saw the receivers open during the full speed realtime play.. then cross shows on the top view slo mo that they were covered by rolling it to exactly the point when the WR's stopped running around and GOT covered... because their routes were essentially over and they didn't know where to go next yet. they WERE open. it's a windown in the NFL, as people are saying. there aren't going to be too many plays were receivers are just running down the field uncovered indefinitely.

you need to a have a plan, pre-snap... if you get your 1-on-1 then you make the throw at the right time, or the right place. that's what Fitz will do, and hopefully it will not be at the receiver's feet when he does. =)

I said this after the game, when they showed that replay, they only highlighted the two receivers that were covered (to make their point). What they didn't talk about was how Parrish was open TWICE on that play. First, in the middle of the field, then again streaking down the sideline when Trent was scrambling.

I don't care if we lose this week, but boy am I glad I don't half to watch Trent.

They circled 3 of the 4, but you are correct, the 4th WR was absolutely open on multiple occasions. Not circling made him look like a defender and made another WR look like he was covered when he was also open enough to be thrown to.

They also waited until the moment when the coverage was at it's best point to stop the tape. There were other points in the play that they were more open., It was also ONE PLAY!

Edited by ThrowIt

They have been getting open as open in the NFL is having half a step or your QB knowing where you are making your cut and break on a thrown ball. This is NOT college where WRs are 5-10 yards open. Watch any other game and the WRs have just as much separation or lack of separation from the CBs as ours do yet the ball is thrown to them. WRs are open for split seconds. Our CBs had very good coverage on many completed passes for GB this past Sunday. The difference is Rodgers throws the ball and Trent does not.

Last night V Davis was not open enough when covered by J Greer in terms of you seeing it overhead yet it was thrown to him and he made a 30 yard reception b/c the ball was thrown to him. You need to make the throw. WRs are "open" for split seconds at specific points in their routes and the QB has to be good enough to make the throw, and TE is just not good enough to do that.

TE had a HOF WR last year, along with L Evans and he still would not throw the ball. R Fitz did and went 5-4....R Fitz is at best an average QB but actually below average and still went 5-4 when playing majority of the game. One win against the Jets he came into the game two scores down on the road to the team that was in the AFC championship game and won it. He made throws that TE would not and that was the difference.

Even if you don't have time to watch other games, watch highlights on NFL.com. See how many passes are thrown into coverage and the WR makes the play for the ball. More than half the time they are covered pretty well but they still make the throw. Sometimes you are as open as you want to be.

PTR

funny cause i saw the receivers open during the full speed realtime play.. then cross shows on the top view slo mo that they were covered by rolling it to exactly the point when the WR's stopped running around and GOT covered... because their routes were essentially over and they didn't know where to go next yet. they WERE open. it's a windown in the NFL, as people are saying. there aren't going to be too many plays were receivers are just running down the field uncovered indefinitely.

you need to a have a plan, pre-snap... if you get your 1-on-1 then you make the throw at the right time, or the right place. that's what Fitz will do, and hopefully it will not be at the receiver's feet when he does. =)

Good observation...as if he had anticpated and let the ball go two of those targets were open enough if he released it before they made their break. What does he do; run out of bounds for a 4 yard gain on 4th and 11; GUTLESS! If it were 1st-3rd down or a tight game maybe. In both games on 4th down, the only time he has thrown the ball is to a WIDE OPEN target. The Trent lovers have to face the fact that ever since the Arizona game this guy has lost confidence; especially when it comes to diagnosing the field and making stick throws.