2011 Draft

Kurt Warner

Okay, so this is a little early but you know the Bills' scouts are watching games and front office is (should be) thinking ahead. Do us a favor next year (especially Mr. Wilson). STOP TRYING TO OUTSMART EVERYONE!

The Bills biggest problem the past five years or so is that they keep trying to outsmart other front offices. For example, drafting the ego healthy (but otherwise unhealthy) McGahee when he's got to sit for a year. Drafting Whitner at #10 where you don't draft safties. Drafting Maybin as a one year starter trying to catch an amazing athlete on the upside. Drafting dumb as a doorknob Lynch and trying to pass him off as a character guy. Drafting waterbug Parrish in the 2nd round. Drafting Spillar #9 this year when you have two RB and no OL.

In short, stop trying to draft "the best available talent". You have proven you have no clue who that is! Please draft the closest thing to a solid player at a position we need. Maybe you'll get lucky and actually build a team.

Edited by Kurt Warner

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, so this is a little early but you know the Bills' scouts are watching games and front office is (should be) thinking ahead. Do us a favor next year (especially Mr. Wilson). STOP TRYING TO OUTSMART EVERYONE!

The Bills biggest problem the past five years or so is that they keep trying to outsmart other front offices. For example, drafting the ego healthy (but otherwise unhealthy) McGahee when he's got to sit for a year. Drafting Whitner at #10 where you don't draft safties. Drafting Maybin as a one year starter trying to catch an amazing athlete on the upside. Drafting dumb as a doorknob Lynch and trying to pass him off as a character guy. Drafting waterbug Parrish in the 2nd round. Drafting Spillar #9 this year when you have two RB and no OL.

In short, stop trying to draft "the best available talent". You have proven you have no clue who that is! Please draft the closest thing to a solid player at a position we need. Maybe you'll get lucky and actually build a team.

With the exception of Willis and maybe Roscoe, both of which were Donahoe, all of those picks were not taking the "best available talent" but rather were reaching for need. You can also add Hardy and McCargo to the list of players who were reached for because they filled a need.

Edited by Ghost of Rob Johnson

Trade Lynch for a 3rd round pick to Green Bay. We need more picks getting a 3rd for Lynch is a good move to try and get some picks to help build the team. I think in Free Agency we go for a QB not world beater but just a vet guy who can be a professional NFL QB.

Then in the draft we go for a LT pick 1 and a RT pick 2 then trade up into the 2nd with our 3rd and 4th to try and get a good OLB then find a MLB with the pick obtained for Lynch.

All in all we need to fix our O-line by getting a quality pair of bookend tackles then try and beef up the front 7 with a pair of linebackers 1 an OLB to try and help the pass rush and 2 and MLB because Poz is so unreliable and Davis is old.

Every time I see Ngata play and I think of whitner it makes me sad.

Exactly. That was the problem. Good teams do not waste picks reaching for players.

With the exception of Willis and maybe Roscoe, both of which were Donahoe, all of those picks were not taking the "best available talent" but rather were reaching for need. You can also add Hardy and McCargo to the list of players who were reached for because they filled a need.

:thumbsup: Adding Troup to your list; he'd have been there a round later.

In short, stop trying to draft "the best available talent". You have proven you have no clue who that is!

Exactly. The sad part is none of those guys (maybe Spiller....we'll see) was anywhere near the 'best available talent'. They honestly could have drafted better by having a dog pee on Mel Kiper's draft board as a means to making a selection.

The Bama-Arkansas game on Saturday is more important to the Bills franchise than the Bills-Pats game.

I will be betting heavily against Arkansas since I'm not a believer in Ryan Mallett and, well, Bama is a decent football team. BUT my love for the Bills is such that if Mallett has a great game, I won't feel like I've lost some money. I'll feel like I've gained a son.

The Bama-Arkansas game on Saturday is more important to the Bills franchise than the Bills-Pats game.

I will be betting heavily against Arkansas since I'm not a believer in Ryan Mallett and, well, Bama is a decent football team. BUT my love for the Bills is such that if Mallett has a great game, I won't feel like I've lost some money. I'll feel like I've gained a son.

15.5 point spread. That's quite a bit, considering it is at Arkansas. I agree that this will show what Mallett can do against a college defense that approaches NFL caliber. Marcell Dareus is projected top 5, so if Mallett doesn't pan out, Dareus would be a good pick. He was the one that knocked McCoy out of the Championship game. Mark Barron is a 220 lb safety for Bama and a good one. If Jauron was still here, he'd be our pick.

15.5 point spread. That's quite a bit, considering it is at Arkansas. I agree that this will show what Mallett can do against a college defense that approaches NFL caliber. Marcell Dareus is projected top 5, so if Mallett doesn't pan out, Dareus would be a good pick. He was the one that knocked McCoy out of the Championship game. Mark Barron is a 220 lb safety for Bama and a good one. If Jauron was still here, he'd be our pick.

It's a 7 point spread. I just see Bama dominating but I would be okay with being wrong if Mallett picks them apart.

i know Mallett had a good game, but i was not impressed. it is impossible to compare him standing upright and relaxed in the pocket on most plays, throwing to wide open WR's... to Locker going against Nebraska's D. that's why it's hard to project college QB's.

Locker is the most overrated prospect in the last 20 years in my opinion.

Locker is the most overrated prospect in the last 20 years in my opinion.

perhaps. and it may end up being a costly decision to stay in school. looks like they will not be in the rose bowl championship picture after all. i think the big 3 all still bear monitoring for bills, and i have not seen Luck even play yet this year.

I like this thread because I will be turning in our positional needs to DraftTek.com in a few days. I've used today's Big Board and came up with these two draft scenarios:

1. QB - Christian Ponder, Ryan Mallett

2. OL - Orlando Franklin (MIA), Derek Sherrod (Miss St), Marcus Gilbert (FL)

3. OL - Nate Potter (Boise),James Carpenter (ALA)

4. LB - Cliff Matthews (South CAR), Jack Crawford OLB34 (Penn St.)

5. WR - Chris Owusu (Stanford)

6. LB - Jabaal Sheard (Pitt)

1. OL - Gabe Carimi OT (Wisc)

2. WR - Jonathan Baldwin WR (Pitt)

3. QB - Jerrod Johnson QB (Texas A&M) 6'5" 243

4. OL - Chris Hairston (Clemson) 6'7 325

5. LB - Wayne Daniels (TCU), Kenny Rowe (Oregon)

6. DE - Pierre Allen (Nebr)

Which scenario matches your idea of drafting for need at this time?

Astro

I like this thread because I will be turning in our positional needs to DraftTek.com in a few days. I've used today's Big Board and came up with these two draft scenarios:

1. QB - Christian Ponder, Ryan Mallett

2. OL - Orlando Franklin (MIA), Derek Sherrod (Miss St), Marcus Gilbert (FL)

3. OL - Nate Potter (Boise),James Carpenter (ALA)

4. LB - Cliff Matthews (South CAR), Jack Crawford OLB34 (Penn St.)

5. WR - Chris Owusu (Stanford)

6. LB - Jabaal Sheard (Pitt)

1. OL - Gabe Carimi OT (Wisc)

2. WR - Jonathan Baldwin WR (Pitt)

3. QB - Jerrod Johnson QB (Texas A&M) 6'5" 243

4. OL - Chris Hairston (Clemson) 6'7 325

5. LB - Wayne Daniels (TCU), Kenny Rowe (Oregon)

6. DE - Pierre Allen (Nebr)

Which scenario matches your idea of drafting for need at this time?

Astro

If this team continues to play as they are and wind up with a top 3 draft pick (still not sure that will happen btw), there is absolutely no scenario where they should not take a franchise QB. None. Franchise QBs are harder to find than good OTs. The only way I could forgive them not taking a QB is if all the QBs bomb their pro-days and combine workouts.

But between Mallett, Luck, Luck, Ponder and a couple other fringe front line guys, there SHOULD be one or two QB prospects that can turn this franchise around and fill a hole that has existed since number 12 hung up his cleats.