2011 Draft

Kurt Warner

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

BTW, the only reason I didn't put Luck in the mix is that he's least likely to declare for the 2011 draft (he's a redshirt sophomore, and he's eligible to play for THREE more years).

The only reason why he would come out, Astro, is if there are serious concerns that the League and Player's Association are going to cap rookie salaries. If the 2011 draft is potentially the last year in the old form, I would imagine even Luck is going to sprint to that draft rather than risk the entirety of his 2012 contract being smaller than his guaranteed money in the 2011 draft.

I like this thread because I will be turning in our positional needs to DraftTek.com in a few days. I've used today's Big Board and came up with these two draft scenarios:

1. QB - Christian Ponder, Ryan Mallett

2. OL - Orlando Franklin (MIA), Derek Sherrod (Miss St), Marcus Gilbert (FL)

3. OL - Nate Potter (Boise),James Carpenter (ALA)

4. LB - Cliff Matthews (South CAR), Jack Crawford OLB34 (Penn St.)

5. WR - Chris Owusu (Stanford)

6. LB - Jabaal Sheard (Pitt)

1. OL - Gabe Carimi OT (Wisc)

2. WR - Jonathan Baldwin WR (Pitt)

3. QB - Jerrod Johnson QB (Texas A&M) 6'5" 243

4. OL - Chris Hairston (Clemson) 6'7 325

5. LB - Wayne Daniels (TCU), Kenny Rowe (Oregon)

6. DE - Pierre Allen (Nebr)

Which scenario matches your idea of drafting for need at this time?

Astro

I strongly prefer the first scenario. The Bills have needed a franchise QB ever since Kelly hung up his cleats. I believe Ponder can be the answer at QB for many years to come. Starting QB is the hardest position to fill. If you don't have a franchise QB and have the chance to take one, you do it. Period.

If you want a good LT, you normally have to use a first round pick to get one. My thought is to ignore the LT position in the 2011 draft, on the theory that Bell is a decent stopgap, and that they can't address all their needs in one draft anyway.

This year, I'd favor using the 2nd round pick on a RT, in hopes of solidifying that position for the next decade, and in hopes of never seeing Cornell Green in a Bills uniform again.

I'd also like to see the Bills add an interior OL in round 3. Last year Hangartnar was the 32nd ranked starting center. If we draft an OG in round 3 we could move Wood to center. Or we could use a third round pick on a center straight up.

Drafting a LB in round 4 makes a lot of sense. With the Bills' defense being what it is you'd obviously like to take a LB earlier than that. But the Bills' needs at QB and OL are simply too dire.

I'm not a big fan of drafting a QB in the later rounds, as is the case in your second scenario. Normally you'd use a first round pick on a starting QB, and a later round pick on a backup. The Bills have some guys on the roster who should be decent backup QBs. What they need is a starter.

With the addition of a starting QB and two starting OL, the offense should have decent depth. I'd prefer for most or all of the picks in rounds 4 - 7 to be used on defensive players; especially guys in the front seven. There are too many guys on that defense better suited for the Tampa-2 than for the 3-4. I know we can't give the defense everything it needs in this draft, but there's a chance to find decent depth players, and to weed out a few 4-3 guys like Kelsay in favor of guys better-suited for the 3-4. The fact that Kelsay is a starter indicates that we need two players at that position alone: one to replace Kelsay, and the other to replace whichever player failed to beat him out.

It's been bad bad drafting costing this team. You draft bad, year in/year out. You'll get nowhere fast. Like we see today. The team is bad because they keep missing when it comes to drafting. They have major fails over the past decade. It's sad but true. We need a better scouting and someone in charge of our draft. I have little faith in the people in that position now. This past draft has thus far been an utter failure. No impact player has yet come out of it. But we'll see...

I like this thread because I will be turning in our positional needs to DraftTek.com in a few days. I've used today's Big Board and came up with these two draft scenarios:

Astro

I like the first one a lot , not a big fan of taking wr's too high . we need a qb , oline and linebackers first and formost.

is the kid from nevada a spread guy , he seems to be rising up the boards. He has nice size too.

Every time I see Ngata play and I think of whitner it makes me sad.

The Bills really really needed a safety in that draft, granted he was a reach at being the 56th rated player on the board, it can't be that bad a pick because he is still starting with that loaded defensive backfield

If ya look at that draft they could have drafted Ngata OR Jay Cutler and still gotten Roman Harper in the second if they don't move up to draft McCargo :wallbash:

Someone in that scouting dept needs to be fired.... TM... ring any bells?

3rd round- Ashton Youboty 4th round- Ko Simpson... Owen Daniels-Brandon Marshall- Elvis Dumervil all 4th rd picks

Trade Lynch for a 3rd round pick to Green Bay. We need more picks getting a 3rd for Lynch is a good move to try and get some picks to help build the team. I think in Free Agency we go for a QB not world beater but just a vet guy who can be a professional NFL QB.

Then in the draft we go for a LT pick 1 and a RT pick 2 then trade up into the 2nd with our 3rd and 4th to try and get a good OLB then find a MLB with the pick obtained for Lynch.

All in all we need to fix our O-line by getting a quality pair of bookend tackles then try and beef up the front 7 with a pair of linebackers 1 an OLB to try and help the pass rush and 2 and MLB because Poz is so unreliable and Davis is old.

A guy with a plan. Can you please apply for the gm job at One Bills Drive? You seem to have a better handle on the situation than the guys in charge

Astro

Jerrod Johnson will not be an NFL QB. Accuracy is definitely lacking and he's very inconsistent. He can look incredible like he did against Texas, and then have a horrendous game like he did this past week against Florida International. These next two weeks will be very telling for Johnson as A&M faces Oklahoma State and Arkansas. Andy Dalton of TCU would be a better choice in round 3. He has been a winner at every level.

bobo, you are going to be giving this kid about 30 42-45million or more guaranteed. My question, as it was in my earlier thread that almost everyone seem to ignore...who are you going to have protecting that investment on the left and right side?

Edit: corrected, based upon Bradford's money. Considering that this guy will be guaranteed more money than any Buffalo sports figure ever, now, or quite possibly in the future as well (highly doubt we guarantee a FA or one of our veterans that amount every again), I guess they should probably invest a little bit in protecting him.

I don't know, though, maybe I'm just a little whacky that way.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

Here's some input from Longball, our Big Board Analyst:

"I would probably go with Scenario #2 ...the interior of your OL is fine. If I could have bookends like Carimi and Hairston, I'd jump on it. They are better in power blocking and can pass protect, where Franklin and Potter are more finesse. Plus, from what I remember about Chan Gailey's offense, there were some interesting variations in the running game that led favorably to play-action (and a more mobile QB), so if he has a year or two to groom Johnson, that might click (Ponder and Mallett can run, but are more in line with a classic pocket passer like Aikman, who hated Gailey's offense). A big cold-weather receiver in Baldwin would fit his offense and with the number of games I've had to watch TCU, Wayne Daniels is excellent value in the 6th, as is Pierre Allen in the 7th."

I prefer to leverage our draft picks for pro bowlers. Guys like McNiel or Mankins could be traded for tonight. Why not add them instead of a couple of busts?

In general, I agree with this. But we are going to have a VERY high pick. I would not trade it. If we could get McNeil for a 2, then do it. Otherwise, build through the draft

Does anyone know what the FA market looks like next year (barring a lock-out) for OLB and WR? Those are two positions that I think could be upgraded (again depending on talent available) through free agency. Give Evans a serious #2 and find someone to replace Kelsay/Torbor. After that, I think we draft QB/RT/BPA. With two high picks we should get our "franchise" QB and a solid RT. Based on everything written Bell should be ok given time. Levitre/Hang/Wood are ok though moving Wood to center and having Urbik/someone new replace him would also work.

Edit: corrected, based upon Bradford's money. Considering that this guy will be guaranteed more money than any Buffalo sports figure ever, now, or quite possibly in the future as well (highly doubt we guarantee a FA or one of our veterans that amount every again), I guess they should probably invest a little bit in protecting him.

I don't know, though, maybe I'm just a little whacky that way.

This franchise has been in need of a QB for 20 years. We've had Peters, Dockery, Brown, and a plethora of solid OL over the years and 0 playoff wins. A great OL can block all it wants, but if the QB pats the ball for 20 seconds, he's going to get sacked regardless.

To say this is a QB league is beyond a cliche at this point, but it's true. The days of run the ball and stop the run are over. We need major playmakers on offense to compete in this league. We need a top-shelf QB (not another 3rd round project), a top WR..and yes, a crapload of OL help.

The more I think of it, I probably wouldn't draft a defensive player in this upcoming draft until the 5th or 6th round, if at all.

So yes, if we're in love with Mallett, and have the chance to draft him, then I'd draft him w/o even twitching a pubic hair. quality OL can be easily found in the 2nd and 3rd rounds of a draft, it's more of a crap shoot with QB's.

I wish we were this bad last year...oh Bradford...

Edited by bobobonators

Here's some input from Longball, our Big Board Analyst:

"I would probably go with Scenario #2 ...the interior of your OL is fine. If I could have bookends like Carimi and Hairston, I'd jump on it. They are better in power blocking and can pass protect, where Franklin and Potter are more finesse. Plus, from what I remember about Chan Gailey's offense, there were some interesting variations in the running game that led favorably to play-action (and a more mobile QB), so if he has a year or two to groom Johnson, that might click (Ponder and Mallett can run, but are more in line with a classic pocket passer like Aikman, who hated Gailey's offense). A big cold-weather receiver in Baldwin would fit his offense and with the number of games I've had to watch TCU, Wayne Daniels is excellent value in the 6th, as is Pierre Allen in the 7th."

How closely does Longball follow this team? Is he a fan like the people here, or are there a number of teams he covers?

One reason I ask this is because I'm confused as to why he described the interior of the Bills' OL as "fine." Is he aware of the problems we experienced with 3-4 NTs last season? Did he watch what Clay Matthews and the other Green Bay defenders did to our interior OL this past Sunday? I'm sure Longball knows a lot about football in general, but I'm not necessarily convinced he's been following the Bills as closely as we have. (Unless there are still undeveloped interior OL from whom he hopes to see improvement.)

I'm also curious as to whether he expressed an opinion about how the Bills are supposed to fill the hole at QB. A franchise QB is the hardest-to-fill position in all of football. The Bills just benched their starting quarterback, and thus far we look to be in line for a very high draft pick. If the 2011 draft isn't the right time to draft our franchise quarterback, when would be?

A lot of the best QBs are gone by the fifth overall pick of the draft. Of today's current starters, Peyton Manning, Eli Manning, and Carson Palmer were chosen first overall, Matt Ryan was picked third overall, and Philip Rivers was chosen fourth overall. Palmer's injury problems aside, each of those players is at or near the franchise level. If we have a (rare) opportunity to add a guy like that of our own, why should we pass that opportunity up? Look at the current Bills' quarterback situation! Any time Ryan Fitzpatrick seems like your best available option at QB, you know it's high time to do something.