NFL draws line on Pinto Ken's bowling ball shots

Meathead

"When it comes to protecting its fan base in a tough economy, the NFL is taking a hard line on what it considers unacceptable behavior, said Jeffrey Miller, NFL director of strategic security programs."

What the hell does a tough economy have to do with "protecting" fans from "unacceptable behavior?" Jeffrey Miller sounds like a complete idiot.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I'm glad they did something about this freak show. This isn't "tradition", this is an embarrassment.

I'm sure it's an embarrassing thing to explain to Muffy while the two of you are snacking on your watercress tea sandwiches and sipping organic green tea in the parking lot before the game. Make sure you keep those ruffians away from your Volvo wagon.

Will you see the NFL in the BUS lot next game? Will they shut down Keg parties, including upside down drinking, Bong and octobonging beer, Beer Pong, and other drinking games. What about the RV lots. Will the NFL be in the RV Lot on Saturdays? It's all about families so....

I'm sure it's an embarrassing thing to explain to Muffy while the two of you are snacking on your watercress tea sandwiches and sipping organic green tea in the parking lot before the game. Make sure you keep those ruffians away from your Volvo wagon.

No it's fun to watch people who are so drunk they can barely stand up cover each other with ketchup and eat like homeless people.

I fail to see the charm in that.

This is so dumb for so many reasons probably already discussed in this thread. There are things going on during Buffalo Bills and other teams' tailgates that are 10X worse than bowling ball shots, including things being snorted, other things being smoked, and asses getting kicked. Not to mention the occasional tit-flashing and horribly entertaining profanity. Get bent, NFL.

umm... I wouldn't say they are worse, but I would say that they are less family friendly.

No it's fun to watch people who are so drunk they can barely stand up cover each other with ketchup and eat like homeless people.

How do you find time in to take in the sheer barbarism that is football in between all the fine programming of PBS?

Here's a tip, stay away from the stadium so you can be as self-righteous as you want at home.

So does anyone know where Ken is moving? My Lot Two companion numbers have dwindled over the last few seasons and the remaining few of us are in agreement that it may be time to move.

Oh and Cowherd basically just called Pinto Ron a loser. No more WGR from 10-12 for me.

Im up for betting a lot of money that this clown hasnt as much as walked past Ken's Pinto, let alone has actually taken part in the festivities. And by 'festivities" I dont mean standing next to Ken when he gets doused...I mean just being there and hanging out.

On edit...would it have been sso hard for a Bills or NFL rep to just speak to Ken about toning down the shots a bit or something? The NFL's got a point, overall. People get WAY too blitzed in the parking lots, across the league. But as usual they use a Howitzer, when a .22 will do.

Edited by RkFast

I had the opportunity to meet Kenny and fellow Bills tailgaters last year at Charlotte and was honored to do the "Bowling Ball". It is a shame that a time honored tradition is going to be uprooted. I hope the "new" digs will allow for the tradition to continue.

I do love to drink a few before a game, but it seems like the piss-blind drunk approach has gotten way out of hand, and seems like such a waste anyway.

This. I don't agree with the NFL singling out Kenny, but this is a clear case of the many suffering from the actions of a few. Although the "few" are becoming a larger percentage of the crowd in recent years so I'm not surprised that the NFL has come down on the most recognizable tailgate experience. Again I don't agree with shutting Kenny down, but you have to agree that the Bills/NFL need to do something. The behavior at games is just way out of control. And yes I have done the bowling ball shot myself.

The people who help Ken run his tailgate are *almost never* falling-down drunk. Can't say the same for the people who stop by but that's not Ken's fault.

Now, one might say "why would somebody who's NOT falling-down drunk allow himself to be squirted with ketchup?", and the answer to that would probably be "tradition". Or "insanity".

Oh and Cowherd basically just called Pinto Ron a loser. No more WGR from 10-12 for me.

Wow Ken's getting almost as much national attention as Inez Sainz.

Just my 2 cents...I can't for the Bills to start winning again, so that things like where someone has to hold their tailgate party and what sign can be hung on the stadium wall become irrelevant again.

Who cares if you get your bowling ball shot in a stadium lot or a private lot. BFD. <_<

The people who help Ken run his tailgate are *almost never* falling-down drunk. Can't say the same for the people who stop by but that's not Ken's fault.

True. And as JW notes, the shot-pourers -- including at least one member of this board -- card anyone who looks like they might be under 25, and don't serve people who look like they've already imbibed one too many beverages that morning.

Now, one might say "why would somebody who's NOT falling-down drunk allow himself to be squirted with ketchup?", and the answer to that would probably be "tradition". Or "insanity".

Insanity works for me. Alternate answer: it's part of a fun, goofy act, just like the slime on Nickelodeon. Haven's "cover each other" reply convinces me that he has never, in fact, witnessed the ketchup ceremony, where everything is scripted ahead of time and Kenny is the only target. Whatever. Each to his own.

And I've disliked Cowherd for a long time. Why stop now?

So does anyone know where Ken is moving? My Lot Two companion numbers have dwindled over the last few seasons and the remaining few of us are in agreement that it may be time to move.

He is a total asshat. Were he to say something derogatory about me I'd consider it a compliment.

I'd suggest that someone attempt to find contact information for our new friend Jeffrey Miller at the NFL, so people who disagree with his puritanical views can voice their opinions.

I couldn't find his e-mail but me and my friends have all submitted comments on NFL.com under the "Contact Us" tab at the bottom.

No

Fun

League

As the original poster described: "family" doesn't stop when you turn 12.

I love partying with my entire extended family at the game, and good booze and food is part of it all, always has been, and I seem to remember it being the same for every family that ever parked next to us.

The first drink I ever had was at a Bills game. No matter where we moved, we always came back for at least 1 Bills game, and grandfather always made a magnum of cherry bombs with real cherries that he grew.

Where the f does this guy get off screwing with our traditions? WTF does he know about how our families, however defined, do our thing? Pinto Ron doesn't deserve this, and where does it end? Are they going to arrest me/tell me to leave if I make cherry bombs in a magnum this year?

Never said he couldn't tailgate and continue his tradition, just has to move to a different lot. What's the big deal? As an aside, the younger people who think Bills football is just all about getting falling down drunk before the game and not remembering anything, well, I don't understand it and I don't know why that is acceptable anymore and sadly that's pretty much what Sunday's at the Ralph have turned into. I used to drink heavily before the games on occasion back in the late 80's and early 90's. Just a waste of time and money. I have seen my share of crazy things inside and outside the stadium. Fun when they were winning and I was younger I guess. Just seems sad to me now. I don't know if these kids feel it is a "rite of passage" or whatever. Times change. I think if that kind of stuff was eliminated, you'd see more families coming to the games and the tailgating scene actually improve. Standing around chugging beer and crown royal until you puke at 11am on a Sunday AM, getting into fights and shouting MF or whatever? Not cool.

Never said he couldn't tailgate and continue his tradition, just has to move to a different lot. What's the big deal? As an aside, the younger people who think Bills football is just all about getting falling down drunk before the game and not remembering anything, well, I don't understand it and I don't know why that is acceptable anymore and sadly that's pretty much what Sunday's at the Ralph have turned into. I used to drink heavily before the games on occasion back in the late 80's and early 90's. Just a waste of time and money. I have seen my share of crazy things inside and outside the stadium. Fun when they were winning and I was younger I guess. Just seems sad to me now. I don't know if these kids feel it is a "rite of passage" or whatever. Times change. I think if that kind of stuff was eliminated, you'd see more families coming to the games and the tailgating scene actually improve. Standing around chugging beer and crown royal until you puke at 11am on a Sunday AM, getting into fights and shouting MF or whatever? Not cool.

The tailgating scene has been consistently recognized as the best in the NFL. I can personally attest that Green Bay's and KC's are a close second, but they are still #2.

In light of this, how much more can #1 improve? What are you trying to say? That the behavior of less than 5% of the crowd means we don't have the best tailgate?

So it was OK for you back in the day, but now that you've grown up, those uppity young'ns should do the same? :lol:

So it was OK for you back in the day, but now that you've grown up, those uppity young'ns should do the same? :lol:

I know. That kills me. When I was in high school and went to the games at Rich Stadium in the late 70s, there was more craziness and drunkeness then there is now. Underneath the scoreboard at halftime there were huge clouds of pot smoke everywhere. There were brawls in the stands everywhere. It seems to me the games are much more tame now than even 20-30 years ago.