Bills allegedly turned down a #3 and a player for Lynch

Kelly the Dog

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm certainly skeptical of the rumor, so the key word here is "IF" this rumor is true, then I would be disappointed given that maybe second only to our DBs and Safeties, it's our strongest position. And while many people on this board would poo-poo a 3rd round draft choice, the fact is that many 3rd rounders can be very good players in the NFL, not mention that it is a good and fair compensation for Lynch, not to mention a "player" to be added to that deal. Now if Freddy hadn't had the year he did last year or if he was not a good RB with a solid contribution to the locker room, I could understand it, but considering that you just spent a #9 draft choice on a RB with a good RB in Freddy with him, I just don't understand the logic..."IF" it's true...that remains to be seen...

so who have the Bills drafted in the 3rd round in the last 10 years who is worth a damn?

Trent used to be the trendy pick, but not so much lately.

There does not seem to be any serious pressure on Nix and Co. to put a winning product on the field in the short term. A competent product, yes, but they don't seem to feel that they need to build a championship-caliber squad.

Based on what? You think Buddy and Chan are just taking the slow road on a seven year plan? Or they don't mind losing as long as they get paychecks? Here I completely disagree. While I wouldn't mortgage our future for 2010 moderate success, I think they both want to win as many games as they can right now. Nix wants to get this roster as strong as possible right now, and Chan wants to get as many wins as possible with the roster he has at any given point.

If they are not good at it we can talk about that. If they are not willing to compromise 2011 for 2010 (trading big picks for Gaither, etc) we can talk about that. But the idea that the lack of pressure to put a winning product on the field in the short term or feeling the need to build a championship caliber squad is crazy.

Buddy has one goal, and I think he cares about it a lot. His goal is to (like has happened in San Diego) build a talent packed roster that allows a team to win and makes him look like a great GM.

Chan has one goal, and I think he cares about it a lot. His goal is to take the roster he has at any given time and try to win football games with it right now while teaching it to be better prepared to win in the near future.

No regime comes in to a team as mediocre as we are and sacrifices the future and bets the farm for minor improvements year 1...that would be dumb. But these guys want to win right now, and want to get this team better week by week and year by year.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/09/15/aaron-rodgers-on-marshawn-lynch-bring-him-on/

Aaron Rodgers wants him for the Pack. I've maintained all along we're not going to trade him unless we get a good starter for him at a position of need. According to this, we turned down a #3 and a player for him awhile back. I wouldnt doubt that, I just don't believe many of these trade rumors on the surface.

You know I was all excited when we hired Nix, because he talks like a tough good ole boy from Alabama. And Alabama is football. Living in Georgia for half my life, you realize that Bama means football. But 8 and a half months into his regime. What for the love of god has this guy done to improve the team? The answer is absolutely nothing. There is absolutely no good reason in hell that Marshawn Lynch should EVER be the 3rd running back on any team. He is too good for that. The only reason we should have drafted Spiller is if we already had a trade set involving Marshawn. (obviously that never happened) The sad thing is that we would be on the same ground at RB if we had Bell, Simpson, and either Jackson, Spiller or Lynch as our stud #1. My point is that running backs are a dime a dozen. And with a decent line, just about anyone with a bit of skill will succeed. Look around the league, you can plug in just about anyone at RB with a decent line and you are set. Does anyone think that Adrian Foster for Houston (or whatever his name is) is anything special. But he ran for over 150 against Indy because his line was roadgrading the Colts. Nix has missed the boat. Running backs are an interchangeable part on any team and nothing more.

There is no way you trade Lynch to Green Bay before Sunday.

If he was traded to GB it wouldn't be this week. The game plan is already in place by thursday so trading him now would be like handing them the playbook. Second thought, it is probably going to look like they have it anyway.

There does not seem to be any serious pressure on Nix and Co. to put a winning product on the field in the short term. A competent product, yes, but they don't seem to feel that they need to build a championship-caliber squad.

This is not the NFL of 20 or 30 years ago, there is no building for the future nowadays. It is a "Win Now" league, with free agency, salary cap and huge signing bonuses, teams go from last to first every season. Ralph has hired a dinosaur for a GM that still thinks it is 1980 and he won't do anything except keep things they way they have been, or worse. Like someone else said on this post, what has he done in the 9 months he has been here to return this team to respectability? Nothing other than signing a couple "C" level free agents that nobody else probably wanted (one couldn't pass a physical anywhere else), spent the first round pick on a position with the most depth on our roster (and the easiest skill position to fill on the team) other than maybe DB, and ignored the two most glaring weaknesses on the team (OL & QB). They tell the media they have faith in Trent Edwards, then they put someone at LT to protect his blindside who was just another retread off of Green Bay's practice squad. I realize nobody is going to right this sinking ship in one season, but they could at least make an effort, the rest of the league isn't going to wait around for them. How many rookies from this draft are going to make an impact this year? Spiller maybe, if he doesn't get killed. Troup is a project, a couple are hurt, they cut the first QB they drafted here. People criticize Levy on this board all day long, there are still more players from the 2007 draft making an impact and contributions to this team than this years draft probably ever will.

I was listening to Sirius Radio just now and Papa Packer came on the show late hits and said that there's plenty of "rumors" in Wisconsin saying that Green Bay would offer AJ Hawk for Lynch straight up. I dunno.

Not sure about straight up, but getting Hawk would be a huge plus.

I don't really care if Lynch stays or goes.

They can always get that Bell kid back (who was a machine in preseason) and have 3 competent RBs on the roster again.

Plus they'd have a great LB. Nothing wrong with improving defense.

They can't let Lynch leave as a free agent and get nothing. They made that mistake with T.O.

I wouldn't say there is no serious pressure, but unfortunately there's no way this team is going to be winning in the short term...as in this season. They're installing a fundamentally different defense, and at least along the D-line, they don't have the players to implement it. On offense, they inherited a mess in the O-line that wasn't going to be fixed this year, no matter how many free agents/draft picks they got. At QB they have a guy who has the equivalent of post traumatic stress disorder. And drafting a "franchise" QB in this year's draft didn't make sense to me, since he would have been ruined behind this line.

If they don't start winning sometime next year, the pressure will start to go up. I've never bought into this idea that winning isn't important to Ralph or the team.

Edited by gobillsinytown

I don't buy the rejected trade rumor. Why? It's too much for Lynch. A 3rd *and* a player? I don't see any team offering that specific package for a RB. That's an NBA sort of deal, not the traditional NFL trade. Just doesn't look right.

Agreed. No one is paying that much for Lynch. If the Bills can get just the 3d, I'd be happy.

Maroney only brought the Pats* and upgrade from a 6th to a 4th. Now Lynch is better than him, but not that much better.

I was listening to Sirius Radio just now and Papa Packer came on the show late hits and said that there's plenty of "rumors" in Wisconsin saying that Green Bay would offer AJ Hawk for Lynch straight up. I dunno.

Given the state of the LB corps on the Bills, I'd do that in a second too, even though Hawk has not lived up to his hype.

Edited by KD in CT

Based on what? You think Buddy and Chan are just taking the slow road on a seven year plan? Or they don't mind losing as long as they get paychecks? Here I completely disagree. While I wouldn't mortgage our future for 2010 moderate success, I think they both want to win as many games as they can right now. Nix wants to get this roster as strong as possible right now, and Chan wants to get as many wins as possible with the roster he has at any given point.

If they are not good at it we can talk about that. If they are not willing to compromise 2011 for 2010 (trading big picks for Gaither, etc) we can talk about that. But the idea that the lack of pressure to put a winning product on the field in the short term or feeling the need to build a championship caliber squad is crazy.

Buddy has one goal, and I think he cares about it a lot. His goal is to (like has happened in San Diego) build a talent packed roster that allows a team to win and makes him look like a great GM.

Chan has one goal, and I think he cares about it a lot. His goal is to take the roster he has at any given time and try to win football games with it right now while teaching it to be better prepared to win in the near future.

No regime comes in to a team as mediocre as we are and sacrifices the future and bets the farm for minor improvements year 1...that would be dumb. But these guys want to win right now, and want to get this team better week by week and year by year.

Then you explain to me why we have entered the season without a starting right freakin' tackle. Explain it, because I can't fathom it. Please, tell me why we weren't the ones to land either Jamaal Brown or Stacy Andrews, both of whom, when healthy (which they both appear to be), are light years ahead of Green. They're also young and relatively cheap. Please, I'd like to know how it can possibly be argued that these guys are trying to build a contender if they can't or won't act aggressively to fill gaping holes on the roster.

That would be a horrible plan.

Maroney went with a 6th for a 4th, which is essentially a 5th. If you consider that Lynch is slightly better than Maroney (he probably is), than Lynch for a 4th straight up is not unreasonable. That could turn into a third dependent on how Lynch performs. Then it depends on *who* the player is. If it's a no-name LB (or AJ Hawk) or a no-name Tackle, then its not a big deal. Maybe a slight over payment, but not a huge one.

Lynch is significantly better than Maroney. Maroney has had comparable Y/As, but many fewer receptions, and has been running behind one of the absolute best OLs in the league. Lynch has been running behind one of the worst.

You're right, it depends on the player. I'm imagining a 3rd stringer. If he were good, we'd have heard the name, IMHO.

Not sure about straight up, but getting Hawk would be a huge plus.

I don't really care if Lynch stays or goes.

They can always get that Bell kid back (who was a machine in preseason) and have 3 competent RBs on the roster again.

Plus they'd have a great LB. Nothing wrong with improving defense.

They can't let Lynch leave as a free agent and get nothing. They made that mistake with T.O.

I would hardly call a guy who doesn't start a great LBbut he may be an upgrade over what we got.