Sanchez The New Captain Checkdown?

Mr. ChumChums

Nothing wrong with check downs, if they're thrown correctly. These guys need to hit their RB's in stride, in the hands, so that they can run after they catch. These guys can't do it.

Except when the defense starts to expect and play to them, so that even if the RB is hit in stride he gets tackled immediately.

Except when the defense starts to expect and play to them, so that even if the RB is hit in stride he gets tackled immediately.

I saw some of the Raiders/Titans game. The Raiders pass offense was awful, but Campbell kept checking down to McFadden, and McFadden kept picking up 8 yards a pop. All McFadden needed was 1/2 a yard of separation and he could get 7-8 yards on a well-thrown ball.

I don't advocate check-downs, but if you throw them, they have to be good throws and they can work even if the defense knows they're coming.

I'd really like to see what Edwards would do behind the Jets' line, and vice-versa for Dirty Sanchez. IMHO, the differences would be even more startling.

Exactly...

Though I think Trent would still struggle...Sanchez would be BRUTAL behind The Bills line...It would be horrible... B-)

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/27733/is-mark-sanchez-new-captain-checkdown

Article by Tim Graham.

Maybe with the passage of the title, Trent will finally grow a pair and throw it long?

One can hope...

I am optimistic as pass protection starts to solidify (Bell and Wood getting their endurance, Cornell Green being replaced).

Trent took two good shots down the field (not talking Lee bombs, but the medium stuff we have wanted), and both worked out (the TD on a blown coverage and the completion called back for holding). I'm not saying that he is cured, but having success with it the times he tries, and as Chan points out that he really needs to try to get them to stop having 9 guys in the box, I think he could progress on these.

Sanchez was really disappointing, and I think his checkdown tendency is probably picking up steam after his interception rookie year. Probably realizing that he can't throw picks, and with the D and running game maybe he can Trent Dilfer his way to a Super Bowl if he can avoid the turnovers...but he sure looked terrible trying that. I look forward to the Jets dropping to 0-2 after facing the Pats.

Although I do like the guy, Rex Ryan is now 7-8 in regular season games against teams who have something to play for...as opposed to Cincy and the Colts at the end of last season, which were the two reasons they were even in the playoffs.

...just sayin'

PLAY LIKE A JET!!

Edited by dollars 2 donuts