Nix and Cornell Green

Gabe Northern

How does the Cornell Green signing impact your opinion of Buddy Nix?

Cornell is making $3 million per year (including roster bonuses) yet no other team showed interest and the Raiders were eager to replace him. He's 34 years old and is not getting any better. This is a terrible decision in terms of the quality of the player and the financial impact to the team.

He is clearly much worse than Jonathan Scott, who we could have retained for an $850K tender. More amazingly, he is the worst player on an offensive line that was already the worst in football.

The Nix devotees on this board need to take this colossal personnel failure into account when talking about how this guy is going to rebuild the roster.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cornell is making $3 million per year (including roster bonuses) yet no other team showed interest and the Raiders were eager to replace him. He's 34 years old and is not getting any better. This is a terrible decision in terms of the quality of the player and the financial impact to the team.

He is clearly much worse than Jonathan Scott, who we could have retained for an $850K tender. More amazingly, he is the worst player on an offensive line that was already the worst in football.

The Nix devotees on this board need to take this colossal personnel failure into account when talking about how this guy is going to rebuild the roster.

He already lost me with the drafting of a RB in the first round.

Green was a quick fix after Butler announced his retirement. So far, Green does look like a royal bust, if he is, then it's on Nix. But does one player so far make him a bad GM? Even the great GM's don't hit on every player. Look at Tony Ugoh in Indy. Does that mean Polian is a bad GM?

Green was a quick fix after Butler announced his retirement. So far, Green does look like a royal bust, if he is, then it's on Nix. But does one player so far make him a bad GM? Even the great GM's don't hit on every player. Look at Tony Ugoh in Indy. Does that mean Polian is a bad GM?

IIRC Scott was still out there when Green was brought in as a "high profile" FA signing.

IIRC Scott was still out there when Green was brought in as a "high profile" FA signing.

Not trying to defend Nix, but he said he doesn't like to bring in "high profile" players. If Green plays this pathetic the rest of the way, he'll be out of here at the end of the season. Green was only going to be a stop-gap at RT, until Nix could draft one.

So true. Lets look at Nixs record so far:

Cornell Green-worst free agent signing in years

Spiller- luxury pick we couldnt afford, already had 2 starters + Bell

QB-Does nothing to upgrade worst QB in NFL and hated by fans, not respected by the players

OT- Does nothing, besides Cornhole, to improve position, actually by cutting Scott made it worse

OLB-no improvement, Kelsay? Really?

Nix made this team worse his first year.

If we started a poll on this board to determine our draft, free agents and cuts i think we'd do a better job than Nix, cant do any worse.

I love reading this board, you got to be kidding. He forgot more about football than 50 posters on this board combined and you want US run the team?

Unbilleivable You don't read the board if you think that.

Edited by bowery4

Green was brought in as a stop gap because of Butlers departure , but if you all would pay attention to other blogs besides this one, Buddy & Chan are always looking to upgrade any position .

If you would have listened to Buddy at the MMQB yesterday you would realize that is why they brought in Urbik . (always looking to upgrade)

He was also on the 2009 draft board rated as 1 of the 3 highest lineman on the Bills board , so with that being said seeing as they signed Urbik off of a practice squad and he will more than likely be payed league minimum until he proves himself (& he is still a youngster) what they would have payed for a more notable FA will be about the same as paying Green & Urbik.

You guys have lived in N.Y. way to long you've got to start looking for the silver lining instead of doom & gloom all the time . LIGHTEN UP !! :nana:

GO BILLS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by T master

Green was brought in as a stop gap because of Butlers departure , but if you all would pay attention to other blogs besides this one, Buddy & Chan are always looking to upgrade any position .

And so far, their method to improve the team have come by scouring the waiver wires and practice squads of other teams. Yet, we haven't seen those guys cracking the lineup other than in emergency situations. Is Cornell Green really that much better than Jamon Meredith? Yes, Urbick is an interesting prospect, but getting cut by Pitt, which also has a bad OL isn't inspiring confidence.

They also said that the best way to build a team is through the draft. Hard to argue with the logic ... except that if you do that, you better have a higher hit ratio on those draft picks.

People love Nix's straighforward demeanor. But the early results aren't as colorful as his tongue.

QB-Does nothing to upgrade worst QB in NFL and hated by fans, not respected by the players

OT- Does nothing, besides Cornhole, to improve position, actually by cutting Scott made it worse

If we started a poll on this board to determine our draft, free agents and cuts i think we'd do a better job than Nix, cant do any worse.

Hindsight is 20/20 but I gotta agree with you.

It's always refreshing to see a bunch of anonymous internet experts criticizing the choices of guys that have spent their entire live around football. You remind me of the screaming dads at little league games. Always hoping that your son will succeed where you failed so miserably.

They're not succeeding either.

It's a 16 game season. Some of these posts sound like January posts.

I can't blame Nix for wanting to see what he had on his roster. They have alot invested in Kelsay, Stroud, Ellis, Edwards and others. Why not watch them over a 16 game season before cutting bait because you just don't know. I suspect you'll have HUGE roster turnover over the next 2 years.

It's a 16 game season. Some of these posts sound like January posts.

I can't blame Nix for wanting to see what he had on his roster. They have alot invested in Kelsay, Stroud, Ellis, Edwards and others. Why not watch them over a 16 game season before cutting bait because you just don't know. I suspect you'll have HUGE roster turnover over the next 2 years.

Why not watch some film of their past work? Why not bring in some guys the new staff is familiar with? (Oh wait, Gailey hasn't been a head coach in the NFL in over a decade.)

Edited by Sisyphean Bills

I love reading this board, you got to be kidding. He forgot more about football than 50 posters on this board combined and you want US run the team?

Unbilleivable You don't read the board if you think that.

Dude, you have a poodle for an avatar and continue to use "unbillievable" Try spellcheck

Why not watch some film of their past work? Why not bring in some guys the new staff is familiar with? (Oh wait, Gailey hasn't been a head coach in the NFL in over a decade.)

Because you have no film on them in their current system under the current (read "any") coaching. Have they seen Kelsay at LB? Stroud at LDE ina 3-4? I'm not supporting these players because I think they are all gone soon enough, but you can't kill Nix for taking a look at them, especially when he has nothing to replace them with.

I love how these board geniuses think this can be done in 1 year. If we just woulda drafted a starting QB, 2 OTs, and 4 LBs, we'd be a lot better off than with Spiller and Kelsay. I know it sucks, but it's going to be another 2 seasons of good drafts and expiring contracts before this team really competes.

Because you have no film on them in their current system under the current (read "any") coaching. Have they seen Kelsay at LB? Stroud at LDE ina 3-4? I'm not supporting these players because I think they are all gone soon enough, but you can't kill Nix for taking a look at them, especially when he has nothing to replace them with.

I love how these board geniuses think this can be done in 1 year. If we just woulda drafted a starting QB, 2 OTs, and 4 LBs, we'd be a lot better off than with Spiller and Kelsay. I know it sucks, but it's going to be another 2 seasons of good drafts and expiring contracts before this team really competes.

No offense, but after seeing Kelsay at 4-3 DE last 5 years, how would anyone think that he would be ok as OLB in a 3-4?

Very few people focused on Gailey's comments on switching to a 3-4. He said that the reason he did it is that in his observation of the roster, he felt that the talent was more condusive for a 3-4. Then they go ahead and draft entirely for defense, even though the talent at hand was better suited for a 3-4? The story doesn't wash with the actions.

That's why the thread "Why not clean for real" makes esnse. If you're committed to rebuilding, then do it right. Why continue with the charade that Kelsay has a spot on this revamped roster? You can look equally pathetic with project rookies that can hopefully grow into the new system that you're putting in.

They also said that the best way to build a team is through the draft. Hard to argue with the logic ... except that if you do that, you better have a higher hit ratio on those draft picks.

You've lost me - are you saying you are currently able to evaluate the "hit ratio" of the Bills 2010 draft? Because that's the only one Nix has run so far.

It amazes me that most of the fans knew ahead of time that Bell and Green weren't the answer at tackle. we saw, we knew...why didn't they?

Granted it is only one game..but weren't Nix and Gailey supposed to improve this team?

More amazingly, he is the worst player on an offensive line that was already the worst in football. Point well made. But I have to say Green Bay line almost as bad as ours...

Signed a Davis to be the signal caller for the 3-4 defense, someone with plenty of 3-4 experience and and excellent at stopping the run

signed Dwan Edwards, one of the "big name" free agents and has 3-4 experience on a WINNING TEAM. The only reason he was overlooked was due to health concerns, and so far, he looks damn healthy.

Drafted a playmaker that can make an impact right away. People were complaining that this team had no impact players that can make big plays that are game changing. People say we don't need another RB, but we did need another WR and spiller will also has been a recieving threat, so yes he does fill a huge need that we needed. This team needed playmakers like crazy.

Drafted a NT, the most crucial part of the 3-4 defense.

There are so many things he did that I like. You can argue the spiller pick I guess.... but I wouldn't have drafted an OT there. I would have drafted a defense player probably because those were the only players left there that I would have wanted.

Not to mention, One of the things that sucked most about us last year was we couldn't stop the run.... well, we drafted our NT, signed davis and edwards, who all are supposed to be good against the run.... and damn it, we fought that wildcat on sunday like we never did before. It is too early to tell, but it looks like Nix has taken care of the run defense in just 1 offseason. If he can get OLBs in the next offseason to provide more pressure, then this defense is going to be dominant.

All in all, I think Nix has made this team better. People are so focused at LT and QB, but I would rather have him fix the run defense and draft playmakers than drafting a mike williams or aaron maybin. Take the best player on the board. And if for some reason Bell is able to work at LT (which is looking more possible after this game), then that means we really only need a RT (and maybe center) which isn't as difficult to find for the oline. people can say our LT is the worst in the league all they want, but the truth is, the cowboys (a superbowl contender!) have it waaaaay worse than us at LT. In fact, their whole line might be worse than ours. And that is saying something, I know.

Signed a Davis to be the signal caller for the 3-4 defense, someone with plenty of 3-4 experience and and excellent at stopping the run

signed Dwan Edwards, one of the "big name" free agents and has 3-4 experience on a WINNING TEAM. The only reason he was overlooked was due to health concerns, and so far, he looks damn healthy.

Drafted a playmaker that can make an impact right away. People were complaining that this team had no impact players that can make big plays that are game changing. People say we don't need another RB, but we did need another WR and spiller will also has been a recieving threat, so yes he does fill a huge need that we needed. This team needed playmakers like crazy.

There are so many things he did that I like. You can argue the spiller pick I guess.... but I wouldn't have drafted an OT there. I would have drafted a defense player probably because those were the only players left there that I would have wanted.

Not to mention, One of the things that sucked most about us last year was we couldn't stop the run.... well, we drafted our NT, signed davis and edwards, who all are supposed to be good against the run.... and damn it, we fought that wildcat on sunday like we never did before. It is too early to tell, but it looks like Nix has taken care of the run defense in just 1 offseason. If he can get OLBs in the next offseason to provide more pressure, then this defense is going to be dominant.

All in all, I think Nix has made this team better. People are so focused at LT and QB, but I would rather have him fix the run defense and draft playmakers than drafting a mike williams or aaron maybin. Take the best player on the board. And if for some reason Bell is able to work at LT (which is looking more possible after this game), then that means we really only need a RT (and maybe center) which isn't as difficult to find for the oline. people can say our LT is the worst in the league all they want, but the truth is, the cowboys (a superbowl contender!) have it waaaaay worse than us at LT. In fact, their whole line might be worse than ours. And that is saying something, I know.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Nix has improved the roster, it's hard to argue with that. But how do you go into the season with only 4 capable linemen? I know you can't rebuild overnight - but you need to do whatever needs to be done to get a serviceable RT. Green is not capable of playing the position. Folks, it's a fact, you don't need to work in an NFL front office to see it. HE CANNOT PLAY. Get someone else in there now and stop messing around.

Nix has improved the roster, it's hard to argue with that. But how do you go into the season with only 4 capable linemen? I know you can't rebuild overnight - but you need to do whatever needs to be done to get a serviceable RT. Green is not capable of playing the position. Folks, it's a fact, you don't need to work in an NFL front office to see it. HE CANNOT PLAY. Get someone else in there now and stop messing around.

That is going to be the garing problem all off season, and it isn't going to be better and I don't think Ubrick (Sp?) can be any better, even after development. If nix is smart, he will try and trade for one or get somebody else in there. Green is going to lose this team close games.

And personally, I would have liked a couple more free agents on a decent level like the davis and edwards signings, and I would have liked at least one of them to have been a OLB... just because this team was that bad. I don't think Nix made all the best moves, but I like this (so far) better than the Levy choices. Signing edwards and davis as modest free agents is so much better than signing dockery and walker to mega contracts.

But I don't think Nix can wait and fix RT in the offseason. He needs to do something right now. Even if that means throwing wang in there or trading for someone. Because if Green loses games for us, then that is all on Nix.

They didn't ask me, but I could have told them they were hunting the wrong dog in trying Kelsay at OLB; also, Stroud is a 3-tech, Williams is not a NT, etc. Any knucklehead coach can put them in those positions, but that doesn't mean they have the skills to excel there. You self scout to get an idea of what your players can do. How is it any different than drafting a player out of college? In college they aren't going to have the same talent around them, aren't going to be in "your system". You have to be able to look at the athlete and project him into your system, know how he can help you, and how you can hide his weaknesses.

Like GG posted, their actions belie their stated reasons. The talent on the defense was assembled for a Tampa-2 defense, not for the 3-4 package they want to run.

As far as, "you can't do it all in one year" ... that's a nice sound bite, but it doesn't explain away inaction. Despite the fact other regimes have turned their fortunes around very quickly, some even in 1 year, there is a middle ground here. One does not have to stand pat with the scraps the last guy left behind and burn a season re-evaluating his players, the players that got that guy fired it should be pointed out.

Take the OT position. It was pathetic and their best T retired. Their other T is one of the worst in the NFL and coming back from a major injury. Why pick up 1 garbage T in free agency and draft another in the 5th round and fold up that tent and go home? It wasn't exactly unknown that Green isn't any good. Why stop there? Why not make more moves and try to create some legitimate competition? There is no cap. There were free agents available. So what if it is just a stop gap? Green is a stop gap himself.

It's too early to say one way or the other. So, no, it's not hard at all not to swallow that.

Edited by Sisyphean Bills

Yes I did leave out some good signings. We tend to leave out the things that disprove our theory. However I stand by my opinion that the 2 most crucial needs were ignored. If you call Cornhole and Wang competent NFL starters I disagree. Nix takes a QWB in the 7th and custs him. He did do some things right, even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while, but on our 2 biggest needs he whiffed!

I agree that the Bills can't be transformed into a winner in 1 year, but with how bad Cornell Green has played he really shouldn't have made the 53 man roster. If were gonna pay a stop-gap player 3 mil for the year he better at least be average. Personally, I believe that Jamon Meredith and Urbik have nice upside, and hopefully one of them see time at RT before this season is over. This team needs more free agent signings like Andra Davis and Dwan Edwards, and a couple more good drafts before it can compete.

The one position that worries me as much as RT and QB is our situation at WR. I really don't see the Bills ever bringing in a high priced WR, especially considering Lee Evans contract, and a rookie WR isn't going to be ready to make a significant impact until his second season at the earliest.

If you would have listened to Buddy at the MMQB yesterday you would realize that is why they brought in Urbik . (always looking to upgrade)

He was also on the 2009 draft board rated as 1 of the 3 highest lineman on the Bills board , so with that being said seeing as they signed Urbik off of a practice squad and he will more than likely be payed league minimum until he proves himself (& he is still a youngster) what they would have payed for a more notable FA will be about the same as paying Green & Urbik.

You guys have lived in N.Y. way to long you've got to start looking for the silver lining instead of doom & gloom all the time . LIGHTEN UP !! :nana:

GO BILLS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm surprised in all the discussion nobody picked up on your point. He all but said that we'll likely see Urbik at RT before long. I bet before the end of the season...

Yes I did leave out some good signings. We tend to leave out the things that disprove our theory. However I stand by my opinion that the 2 most crucial needs were ignored. If you call Cornhole and Wang competent NFL starters I disagree. Nix takes a QWB in the 7th and custs him. He did do some things right, even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while, but on our 2 biggest needs he whiffed!

Saying those are the 2 biggest needs is pretty easy to argue. This team had a very high need for NT, OLB, DE, run defense, and playmakers on offense. Face it, this team had so many desperate needs, it is near impossible to pinpoint which needs are the biggest. We pretty much needed a new roster. So saying nix sucks because of two positions is crazy. Nix would be just as bad now if he got a QB and T in the first two rounds and got no NT and left the run D to suck things up like last year, and had no playmakers on offense. No matter what, there were going to be big needs that were going to be missed.

The one position that worries me as much as RT and QB is our situation at WR. I really don't see the Bills ever bringing in a high priced WR, especially considering Lee Evans contract, and a rookie WR isn't going to be ready to make a significant impact until his second season at the earliest.

Easly looked good until he went down in camp.... but the bills did bring in TO while lee had his big contract. WR doesn't seem that important as other positions, especially with nelson playing well and parish showing some life. And our TE nelson should help as a reciever as well, when he returns. If nelson develops more, and easly gets better, the WR group should be fine for the future.

We are going to need a new QB.

Cornell Greene signing: I agree that we're heavily overpaying for an overrated, aging Raiders reject. Clearly that was a mistake, as many on this board pointed out at the time. Hopefully he'll be replaced sooner rather than later.

Spiller: I agree that RB was one of the last positions I hoped the team would address. On the other hand, most analysts had Spiller as the best-rated player on the board; and by a fairly significant margin. It's better to do that than to pull a Donte Whitner--that is, reaching for a player on the basis of perceived need. This team needs difference-makers, and you're not going to find them by reaching.

QB: I fully agree the Bills need an upgrade at QB. Possibly they are waiting for next year's draft when players like Ponder will be available. The only real option they would have had in this year's draft was Jimmy Clausen. While I personally liked Clausen, I respect the fact that Nix didn't want to take a chance on a player with whom he didn't feel comfortable. He just needs to address QB next year is all.

As for the other positions you mentioned: the team Nix inherited was riddled with holes; and there was no way he was going to fill all those holes in one offseason. He probably got the best player available in Spiller. Spiller might not do us that much good this year; at least not if we continue to see the combination of the defense stacking the box and the offensive line getting manhandled. Almost no RB could succeed under circumstances like that. But once the QB and OL have been upgraded, we should start seeing more benefits from the Spiller pick. The Bills' second round pick was used on Troupe, a NT who seems to be off to a solid start. I think that some guys from rounds 3 - 7 will also become solid football players; though with injuries holding some of those guys back it's hard to be sure.

Overall, I think that Nix did a good job of using his draft picks to acquire solid football players. Moreover, most of his more important free agent signings seem to be working out significantly better than Cornell Greene. Rebuilding the mess Nix inherited is not the work of a single year. We should be patient with him as long as it's clear that he's doing a good job of his main task: rebuilding through the draft. If at any point his draft picks start looking like those of a Matt Millen or a Marv Levy, it will be time to reevaluate him.

No offense, but after seeing Kelsay at 4-3 DE last 5 years, how would anyone think that he would be ok as OLB in a 3-4?

Very few people focused on Gailey's comments on switching to a 3-4. He said that the reason he did it is that in his observation of the roster, he felt that the talent was more condusive for a 3-4. Then they go ahead and draft entirely for defense, even though the talent at hand was better suited for a 3-4? The story doesn't wash with the actions.

That's why the thread "Why not clean for real" makes esnse. If you're committed to rebuilding, then do it right. Why continue with the charade that Kelsay has a spot on this revamped roster? You can look equally pathetic with project rookies that can hopefully grow into the new system that you're putting in.

You lie! I'd love to see you find a link to that quote because I know it doesn't exist. He said soemthing to the effect of it being mroe trouble for offenses to play against and guess where the pressure is coming from. I never heard anything about him thinking the team had the personnel for it.

Saying those are the 2 biggest needs is pretty easy to argue. This team had a very high need for NT, OLB, DE, run defense, and playmakers on offense. Face it, this team had so many desperate needs, it is near impossible to pinpoint which needs are the biggest. We pretty much needed a new roster. So saying nix sucks because of two positions is crazy. Nix would be just as bad now if he got a QB and T in the first two rounds and got no NT and left the run D to suck things up like last year, and had no playmakers on offense. No matter what, there were going to be big needs that were going to be missed.

Easly looked good until he went down in camp.... but the bills did bring in TO while lee had his big contract. WR doesn't seem that important as other positions, especially with nelson playing well and parish showing some life. And our TE nelson should help as a reciever as well, when he returns. If nelson develops more, and easly gets better, the WR group should be fine for the future.

Come on man: OL was the top need.....its a stretch to even have called it a #2 need.

I agree with you that there was no way Nix could fill all our holes in one offseason, let alone one draft. But that said, the two needs I considered most important going into that draft were QB and OL. Clearly, Nix did almost nothing to address either of those needs.

But that doesn't make him a bad GM. It's rare to find a good LT outside of round 1. There were no LTs worthy of being chosen 9th overall. Clausen didn't go until the middle of the second round, so picking him 9th overall would have been a mistake as well. As much as I was annoyed by the idea of going with a RB over a LT or QB in the first round, I can see where the players available would indicate that kind of decision.

At least early on, Nix seems to have gotten good value from his overall collection of draft picks, and from his more important free agent signings (except Cornell Green). If he continues with that track record, then sooner or later this team will be rebuilt, and we'll have the holes at QB and OL fixed.

It's always refreshing to see a bunch of anonymous internet experts criticizing the choices of guys that have spent their entire live around football. You remind me of the screaming dads at little league games. Always hoping that your son will succeed where you failed so miserably.

hahaha.. Good comparison