You need to watch this video

Unless they pick up a vet FA QB this team will not be a contender for anything next year. A rookie QB - no matter how highly he's drafted - won't be playing at a high enough level for this team to contend for the playoffs.

I'm also not sure how they can fix the OL quickly enough to contend next year but they don't have to fix that all at once, a piece here and there will help tremendously.

Well, RT shouldn't be too hard to replace. It isn't as hard as LT at least. If bell develops this season, we might not even need an LT. That is still a big if though. We could use a new center, but that isn't as bad as RT. And we already have our guards.... so the line needs help, but it is just one offseason away from being stable, if Nix handles it right.

QB... I don't think this regime would throw a rookie into the fire his first season. These guys seem old school. If they draft a QB early (and gawd I hope so), they will probably re-sign edwards or sign a vet QB to play while they work the rookie in.

Ideally, I would think 1st pick in the draft QB, 2nd pick RT and get LB help in free agency. And of course, improve anything and everything else that you can such as C, LT, TE, etc.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I look at the Bills as a house that's been in disrepair for about 10 years. Rather than call in some experts and get things fixed properly the owners tried to skimp and do quick patches. Rather than fix the roof they just threw a tarp over the holes. Rather than fix the leaking walls in the basement they just installed another sump.

Now there's a new owner that wants to fix the house properly. He wants to fix it himself, he wants to do it the right way but knows he can't do it all at once. It may not be the most expedient way to get the house in order it will be a house you're proud to live in when it's down.

As much as I like Nix - and I do - this is the same line we've been fed for 10 years now. Every time a new GM/coach comes in we get the same, "give us some time and we'll fix this mess" yet low and behold, here we are 10 years later and the mess has yet to be fixed. At some point they'll get it right and somebody will turn the team around. Will it be Nix? I hope to hell it is but just because somebody is a straight shooter (which I admire a lot) doesn't mean he's definitely going to be the one to turn this around.

That being said nobody is giving them 8 years to do it - they have to show steady progress year after year and the most I see them getting is 4 years to make the playoffs. In today's NFL that's an eternity with the quick turnarounds we see each year.

Edited by MDH

As much as I like Nix - and I do - this is the same line we've been fed for 10 years now. Every time a new GM/coach comes in we get the same, "give us some time and we'll fix this mess" yet low and behold, here we are 10 years later and the mess has yet to be fixed? At some point they'll get it right and somebody will turn the team around. Will it be Nix? I hope to hell it is but just because somebody is a straight shooter (which I admire a lot) doesn't mean he's definitely going to be the one to turn this around.

That being said nobody is giving them 8 years to do it - they have to show steady progress year after year and the most I see them getting is 4 years to make the playoffs. In today's NFL that's an eternity with the quick turnarounds we see each year.

Well Said

I guess that shoots down the Bills really went after Donovan McNabb rumors. Nix just flat out said he is not at all a McNabb fan.

TG said they put the full court press on him... I think they did and that is a little sour graes on Buddys part, after he said thanks but no thanks...

I look at the Bills as a house that's been in disrepair for about 10 years. Rather than call in some experts and get things fixed properly the owners tried to skimp and do quick patches. Rather than fix the roof they just threw a tarp over the holes. Rather than fix the leaking walls in the basement they just installed another sump.

Now there's a new owner that wants to fix the house properly. He wants to fix it himself, he wants to do it the right way but knows he can't do it all at once. It may not be the most expedient way to get the house in order it will be a house you're proud to live in when it's down.

On the other hand, Nix sent a mixed message. He said that this team isn't as bad as the Chargers team was when they got there. He talked about the upsides of players like Edwards, Bell, and Urbik. He talked about how he was gushing about all the things he thought this team could be to Ralph Wilson over the summer. He said he likes to focus on what players can do, not what they can't. That they are still trying to figure out what they can do.

None of that is exactly what you'd expect to hear when talking about a grueling rebuild project where everything from a broken foundation to a leaking roof need repairs.

Of course, walking both sides of the street, he mentioned how one can't fix everything all at once. On the other hand, if one is going to fix things it might be suggested that one has to identify the problems, be able to prioritize the big issues, roll up the sleeves, and get to work. Seeing if there are hosed on sump pumps that can be patched together with duct tape might even be called procrastinating while you are looking for the perfect antique wardrobe and oriental rug for your dream bedroom...

Just being devil's advocate. I like that we have a good scout in Buffalo now. :)

His rationale for not improving the O-Line in the off season is beyond weak. Blue chippers all over the boards Rd. 1 and 2. Uncapped year so the Free Agency market was very available as well.

If they are going to be this slow and pragmatic that the two options I mentioned didn't work for them, are we really going in the right direction??? I mean, OT wasn't just a casual NEED....it was 100% a MUST Everyone agreed.

and we got Cornell Green and a 5th Rounder.

So let me be the first to call Bulls-t on Buddy for the O-Line argument.

http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2010OT.php

Cornell was the 31st ranked of the FA's.

Understood....but you saw last season and I did as well. An organization committed to winning, makes sure they get their guys.

Our FO should have had top FA's targeted so that the second they became available, we made sure NOBODY else had a shot.

And there were blue chippers all over the damn board....we go Tackle in 5.

insane....now we cant run the ball and we cant protect QB.....surprisingly we cant move the ball.

Nix has stated repeatedly that he knows the line needed work, but that the only two tackles they had graded top ten that could help them this season were gone by the time they picked. Your assessment of blue chippers all over the board is yours and McShay's and Kiper's... they were your guys, not their guys. The fact of the matter is they had needs at NT and DE also, and if Troup and Carrington were better in their eyes than the available talent at OT they would have been defeating their purpose and slowing down the rebuilding process by taking players they didn't believe in when others they did believe in were available at other positions. Picking up an aging LT with neck problems (Brown) or with reported motivation issues(Gaither) isn't likely to speed the process. ALSO, if they really do believe that Bell and Meredith can potentially fill the tackle roles, they would be wasting draft picks and time by not finding that out before moving on. Determining that they are not the answer based on last year's debacle is premature, as is determining that after week 1. If they aren't improving by midseason, then it's clear they need to invest in the position next year.

It's one game. Did you really expect that they'd look all world based on a few preseason victories? I fully expected that thier defense was going to get torched by Miami's running game. IMO, the disappointment surrounding the game yesterday was that they couldn't pull out a win in a close game that I didn't expect them to be in a position to win going in (and that they were painfully boring on offense again). If their defense continues to look respectable against the run and their linebackers figure out how to drop into coverage, this team is way ahead of where I thought it would be. If the line, WHICH IS 3/5 SECOND YEAR PLAYERS improves over the first half of the season, they just might be competitive by midseason. More than that this season is a bonus, IMO.

With regard to Urbik, I wonder if he doesn't move to R guard with Wood moving to center and Meredith to RT once Bell is healed enough to play a whole game.

I wouild accept the "it's going to take time" excuse if they were building for the long haul. Drafting a RB #1 when you have an atrocious OL, no QB and no pass rush is shortsighted. Don't tell me about needing time when you are using #1 picks on a position where the greats are usually spent before age 30.

Spiller is a good player, but the Bills have had 4 different 1000 yard rushers the past decade. Two of them are still in their prime and on the roster.

Why is it taboo to take chances with draft picks on the OL or at QB, but it's OK to draft 3 RB's in round one over a 7 year span? The Bills have drafted one QB(Losman) in round 1 since Jim Kelly in 1983. Their disinterest in the OT position on draft day has been well documented.

I want to believe in Nix because we are stuck with him either way, but he needs to actually back up some of his talk by putting talent on the field.

Ralph didn't know any contractors to fix his house. So he visited the nursing home for some advice from retired carpenters. ;)

The Bills don't have time to be making excuses. ST's went down 11k this year, and a rebuilding year will drive that further down. The long term fans who've endured 10 straight and likely another playoff less season can't take much more. They don't have all the time people think they have.

If anything, the state of the team should be more proof that Marv Levy, Russ Brandon, and Dick Jauron maintained a 5-6 win team and rebuilt nothing. And amazingly despite this, Tom Modrak and Jim Overdorf remain on the payroll. Each year the draft was a means to replace departed free agents, and that'll keep you on the treadmill of mediocrity.

Deep down, Buddy and Chan knew this team was probably not good. They've been around the game too long to not know the talent level was minimal.

They don't have 8 years. They don't have 5. They have 3. Tops.

Thanks for letting us know, Mr. Wilson.

That strikes me as wishful thinking, Dan. As bare as the cupboard was I don't think there's any way this team can be a contender in two offseasons. They may build a nice foundation by then, but remember that a lot of what they're putting on the field next year is going to be rookie and 2nd year players. Asking them to contend that soon is a bit much, imo.

I think it's telling that Nix referred to the process as "climbing a mountain". I know it was an offhand remark near the end, but I think it really points up the position they were in and how far they have to go. If they're well-equipped and sitting in base camp by next year I think they've done a very respectable job considering where they started. Expecting them to summit before they're acclimated is only going to lead to disappointment and possibly disaster.

Dead on.

Well - he admitted Green sucks and needs to be replaced and that was Buddy;s plan - so looks like a failure to me

Yeah, most of the good GMs never ever make a mistake. They're well-known for being completely perfect and god-like.