News Flash: The O-Line Played Well Today (sans Green)

Got_Wood

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After watching that game, I was actually really impressed with our O-line. Especially Demetrius Bell. They gave Trent a good pocket out there for the most part, and Trent had plenty of time to throw the ball. The one exception was Green. He doesn't have quick enough feet, and he doesn't have a hard enough punch to play right tackle. He was getting beat around the corner pretty routinely.

Guess what guys, Trent is not a very good Quarterback. You can't stand in the pocket that long without throwing the football down field and expect to be successful. I think this city forgot what a good QB looks like. Trent doesn't take risks, he doesn't see routes develop like an NFL QB should, he doesn't have a tough competitive drive, and he plays scared. I've seen enough of this. You don't have the luxury in the NFL to give guys this much time to develop. Give the ball to Fitzpatrick and see what he can do.

The Bills' running backs -- Spiller, Fred Jackson and Marshawn Lynch -- gained 38 yards rushing on 14 carries. Who is responsible for opening holes for these guys? Is that Trent Edwards fault also? What constitutes a poor performance by the OL if this was a good one?

BTW, I watched Langston Walker play for the Raiders today and he was absolutely horrible. He almost got his QB Campbell killed numerous times. The Raiders think he is a better option than Cornell Green. What does that tell you about Green?

The bottom line is that you build an offense and a defense from the lines FIRST. The Bills were happy to pass on all the top OL's in the draft. Why was CJ Spiller called a luxury pick?

If OJ Simpson couldn't produce anything with a bad OL I don't expect any miracles from Spiller and it's not his fault.

YOU rewatch the game and notice how Trent is pressured all day. Notice Miami rushing four and STILL sacking Trent. That was Bell's man who got the sack too. Notice Trent taking hits everywhere. Notice the pocket collapsing right away. Notice how many defenders got a free run at Trent. Notice how he was running for his life. Notice how he had NO time to throw, he never had a pocket to step up into, he never had time to let the routes develop, he never had time to let his receivers get open. Also notice how few rushing yards we had. That line sucked as a whole. I mean no offence to you sir, but you're being naive. The line sucked. Big time. You're way off.

In addition, the QB has to hold onto the ball too long if the receivers aren't getting open. There is a price to be paid for keeping such a young inexperienced WR corp.

What happened is that Miami showed themselves to be fairly pathetic at rushing the passer. And yet they still had three sacks and absolutely tons of hurries. Three sacks a game over a sixteen game season would be 48 sacks. Which would have made us 4th worst in the league last year. Guess what, we were 4th worst in the league last year with only 46 sacks, and that was a genuinely awful OL last year.

You think that was good OL play? Seriously? It wasn't. That was awful. Wretched.

I'm struggling to understand a person who thinks an offensive line had a good game when his team rushed for 50 yards. That's good OL play? Man, you are absolutely missing the point. And the only reason we ended up with 50 is because Trent managed twelve yards on two scrambles for his life. Our RBs had 15 attempts and 38 yards. That's 2.53 YPA. That's good?

I don't know what to say. Our OL was physically dominated.

Notice if you watched the game again, yes it was Bell's man who got the sack. However, Bell was not in on that play, it was Meredith that gave up the sack, not Bell.

I re-watched the game and the offensive line was way less offensive then I believed them to have been. This loss can be pinned on Trent Edwards.

If you watched the game again, could you tell us what was on the graphic they showed where they showed a table with the number of sacks and hurries given up by the Bills. It was late-ish in the game. How many were there? I've forgotten the numbers, but I remember well that they were shockingly bad.

Is this post a joke? Did you watch the same game I did? Did you see Bell whiffing on blocks? Did you even watch the game?

Trent Edwards had a crappy game, and looked the same as last year. He needs to get the ball out faster, and not be a kitty with the downfield throws. But the failure to see how crappy the o-line played and their inability to hold a block or open holes ... I'm just speechless. How can someone who watches football not see that. The O-line wasn't very good, ESPECIALLY both tackles. Bell was marginally better than Green, but Green displayed one of the worst performances by an o-lineman that I've ever seen. Ever. The guy blows.

After watching that game, I was actually really impressed with our O-line. Especially Demetrius Bell. They gave Trent a good pocket out there for the most part, and Trent had plenty of time to throw the ball. The one exception was Green. He doesn't have quick enough feet, and he doesn't have a hard enough punch to play right tackle. He was getting beat around the corner pretty routinely.

Guess what guys, Trent is not a very good Quarterback. You can't stand in the pocket that long without throwing the football down field and expect to be successful. I think this city forgot what a good QB looks like. Trent doesn't take risks, he doesn't see routes develop like an NFL QB should, he doesn't have a tough competitive drive, and he plays scared. I've seen enough of this. You don't have the luxury in the NFL to give guys this much time to develop. Give the ball to Fitzpatrick and see what he can do.

Dude ... just stop now. You're digging yourself a hole that you can't get out of. You should really not continue insisting that the O-line played well because the FACT is that they didn't. And that isn't a total excuse for Trent because he didn't play well either, but that performance was one of the worst I've ever seen by an O-line. Just horrendous. Trent didn't even have time to take a 3 step drop, and Chan realized how crappy the line was and put him in the shotgun and that didn't help either.

Rewatch the game, and this time not on crack.

I'm right here, you don't need to talk to someone else about my comments. Sorry guys, no more excuses for Trent. I re-watched the game. He stood there like a statue waiting to get demolished. There were a several plays that got blown up. Green was responsible for quite a few of them. And Meredith got blown backwards into Trent as well. But Bell was on the bench for that play.

Trent is NOT GOOD. I'm not saying our O-Line was great. But they did enough to allow a decent QB to make some plays.

And check the game again if you're questioning our running game. We only ran the ball 14 times with running backs. Freddy and Marshawn did a pretty good job with the carries they had. Spiller got caught running sideways a bit. But we saw that in some of the preseason games. We never established the running game today.

This one's not on the O-line, and I stand by that,

yeah...um the offensive line was not good. the interior maybe was ok, but the tackles were awful. I don't want to blame them totally, Trent's gotta get rid of the ball faster and take a few chances and make the recievers make a play. He can't just wait to get open, he has to understand that they are gonna have to fight for the ball at times.

And to be clear Bell >>> Meredith. When OLT had a letdown it was usually because Bell was out.

Even our hero Eric Wood was struggling - one early batted ball happened when he was shoved into the backfield - hey Bell and Wood are still working their way back from injuries, btw, so it's not "give up on them, draft new guys" time, but it may still take time to get them back 100% and both are still very young/green.

Not to be confused with Green, who is just phenomenally bad.

No, overall the OL did not play well enough - if the Fish were just "stacking the line against the run" there is no way they should have been able to bring so much pressure.

It's also true Edwards could have handled it better - but how well did Henne do when our D got in his face? Not well - look at it again if you doubt.

Edited by BobChalmers

Perhaps the point that should be taken away is that while the O-line wasn't good, there was enough there for the Bills to win that game with a competent QB. Do the Bills have one? Probably not, but Trent certainly isn't it. I know everyone expected Gailey to make chicken salad out of chicken ****, but it's not like he can play for Trent. At some point the guy has to make plays despite the adversity around him.

yeah...um the offensive line was not good. the interior maybe was ok, but the tackles were awful. I don't want to blame them totally, Trent's gotta get rid of the ball faster and take a few chances and make the recievers make a play. He can't just wait to get open, he has to understand that they are gonna have to fight for the ball at times.

all the NFL analysts were right, we are a disaster at QB, LT and RT and have no pass rush to speak of. Worst team in the league. No one else is close right now.

And I think we've forgotten what even an average OLine looks like. That was another horrific performance in a long line of them and we've gotten so used to it that awful showings are the norm.

Once again we have the worst OLine in the NFL, and not by a little either. They're an order of magnitude worse than anybody else.

Sorry to hear this. Maybe it's better that I had to miss this game. :(

If one of you OTs is bad, sometimes a team can give up a weapon (TE, RB) to help him. When both are God awful it is a hopeless case. The fact that they waited until round 5 to address this problem is a crime, but these are our Bills.

It would be great if Bell develops, but I see almost no chance of this happening.

Was Trent horrible? They only showed him on 3 or so plays on the highlights.

Edited by Bill from NYC

Trent was not good, and part of that was the oline, and part of it was trent being not a good QB. He looked like the same old trent to me. I was rooting for him to have an epiphany, but after 1 game it doesn't look like he did. Thankfully it was only one game.

I think the oline is very important, but the Bills had too many holes to fill in one draft. One of those holes was oline, another was dline, another was TE, another was LB, another was QB, another was WR.

If you can figure out a way to get six starters out of a 7 round draft (realistically, not with any silly trade up & down idiocy), I'd love to hear it! That said, I'm not sure I would have taken RB in the first round, but you get my picture. I think this year we were screwed. Too many holes to fill, not enough ways to do it.

If one of you OTs is bad, sometimes a team can give up a weapon (TE, RB) to help him. When both are God awful it is a hopeless case. The fact that they waited until round 5 to address this problem is a crime, but these are our Bills.

It would be great if Bell develops, but I see almost no chance of this happening.

Shhhh! don't you know 4 seconds isn't enough for an NFL QB?

I'm sorry, ICE, but you have been posting retarded **** here for years. Trent does suck, but so did the oline. It is difficult to grasp that there can be more than one cause and more than one effect, but please try for the sake of people who come across your posts. I can help you if you want.

You must have been watching reruns of the preseason because the stats don't lie. Look at rush yards, sacks, knockdowns and QB hurries to see how well the line played. They were awful including Wood and Levitre. Poor play was not limited to the tackles.

They had 3 'hi-lites' of Edwards? I didn't think there were that many.

Yes, Bill, he was god-awful - it can't be long before sites like this start popping up about Trent..

link

(BTW -In his post-game presser, Chan had nothing but praise for Bell.)

Actually Bill , if you have respect for a differing opinion, no Trent was not horrible... and you know I'm a Bills fan, not a "Trent fan" or any other individual over another so I have no motive to protect him.

some points I observed through careful observation:

The Phins were in the backfield all day long. Anyone that is saying Trent had ample time to throw is not accurate.

The interior line was awful (not just the tackles), including Wood unfortunately ... and there was no pocket to step up into

Bell was a lot better than Green, who has been awful so far.

Receivers did not come back to the ball well when he was forced out of the pocket.

He didn't have a particularly good game but he did look like a guy that's learned a few things in the off-season from someone who knows how to coach offense.

He had good zip on his throws and was accurate other than the last drive where that went out the window.

A couple good pass plays were called back by penalties.

He kept his head down the field a lot more than last season.

He looks like he is enjoying the challenge at not thinking as much about the rush all the time.

If the Line can gel a little bit over the season, he may look better and better but that is yet to be seen....

Actually Bill , if you have respect for a differing opinion, no Trent was not horrible... and you know I'm a Bills fan, not a "Trent fan" or any other individual over another so I have no motive to protect him.

some points I observed through careful observation:

The Phins were in the backfield all day long. Anyone that is saying Trent had ample time to throw is not accurate.

The interior line was awful (not just the tackles), including Wood unfortunately ... and there was no pocket to step up into

Bell was a lot better than Green, who has been awful so far.

Receivers did not come back to the ball well when he was forced out of the pocket.

He didn't have a particularly good game but he did look like a guy that's learned a few things in the off-season from someone who knows how to coach offense.

He had good zip on his throws and was accurate other than the last drive where that went out the window.

A couple good pass plays were called back by penalties.

He kept his head down the field a lot more than last season.

He looks like he is enjoying the challenge at not thinking as much about the rush all the time.

If the Line can gel a little bit over the season, he may look better and better but that is yet to be seen....

Brother, I ASKED if he was horrible. I didn't see the game lol!

The pass to Parrish was very well thrown in that he zipped it in there pretty well but I didn't see the rest.

Re-watch the game and tell me Trent doesn't have the opportunity on MANY occasions to get rid of the ball. And on top of that, he doesn't know what to do with the space he has in the pocket when it's there. Instead of stepping up to avoid the edge rush, he'll run backwards. Instead of throwing the ball and trusting that his receivers will get to the spot they need to be at, he waits to see if they run wide open. It's the most frustrating brand of football I've ever seen.

In my opinion these points are 1000% accurate. Every one of them. I almost went hoarse watching the game yelling "throw the ball", "throw the ball". Instead of throwing with his feet set at 3 sec after snap or stepping UP in the pocket, Trent would scramble to his right and then throw a lame duck with a defender draped around his ankles.

To be fair the part that you are missing, imo, is that the line didn't play well either. Not nearly as bad as Edwards but not good. Their run blocking was definitely worse than their pass protection. With our 3 backs you can't get anything going on the ground? *sheesh*

Anyhow, you'll never convince these Edwards supporters that he sucks. They are too thick headed. Thirty years from now they will still be saying it was the concussion or Jauron that held him back and that's why he held a clip board for a couple of years and was out of the NFL. Trent has 3 seconds to throw the ball. He knows it. The fans know it and the defense knows it. If he takes longer than that to get rid of it....IT'S HIS FAULT.

Rob Johnson #2 anyone?

Brother, I ASKED if he was horrible. I didn't see the game lol!

The pass to Parrish was very well thrown in that he zipped it in there pretty well but I didn't see the rest.

Yeah I heard ya right.... I just meant that my opinion differed from what 80% of everyone else was telling you and I hoped you could respect that. The Parrish pass was an easy throw but a good early read on the safety.

I'm hoping that at least the interior line will get their act together and allow for a pocket to step into in the coming weeks. It would be nice to see a little offense even though we'll surely lose the next 2...

If the offensive line played well against the Dolphins, then Trent Edwards started his march towards the Hall of Fame. That was one of the most pathetic displays any offensive line has ever had, ever.