Is this what Gailey meant by using all three RB's at once?

BobChalmers

Remember the bomb from Edwards to Evans against the Colts?

Remember when they drafted Spiller, and Gailey was talking about getting 3 RB's in the backfield - most were assuming "Wildcat" which I'm not a big fan of. Both the Bills and the Ravens abused the heck out of that formation.

The TD to Evans was beautiful stuff - not just the pass/run/catch, but the formation and deception that set it up:

post-891-054904000 1283990018_thumb.jpg

Any defense seeing this would naturally think some sort of run thing was coming. That Spiller had already been successful only added to that.

When all three RB's (one was Stupar but could have been Lynch or Jackson when healthy) stayed back to block, we had 8 blockers - all day for Edwards to relax and Evans to get open.

The beauty of a RB-based max-protect scheme though is that it looks like run, so the DB was ready to close in instead of stay and help with Evans.

The only defense that abuses this is if they are sitting back in coverage...

BUT what if Edwards had/has the authority in this play to choose run/pass from the LOS before the snap? Then if they are dropping back in coverage, getting 6+ yards running with three is trivial.

I LOVE this play design, even more than the intelligence with when it was used.

:worthy: Chan the MAN!

Edited by BobChalmers

BUT what if Edwards had/has the authority in this play to choose run/pass from the LOS before the snap? Then if they are dropping back in coverage, getting 6+ yards running with three is trivial.

yep, if the DBs dont move up or crowd the box, audible & switch to the run.

Remember the bomb from Edwards to Evans against the Colts?

Remember when they drafted Spiller, and Gailey was talking about getting 3 RB's in the backfield - most were assuming "Wildcat" which I'm not a big fan of. Both the Bills and the Ravens abused the heck out of that formation.

The TD to Evans was beautiful stuff - not just the pass/run/catch, but the formation and deception that set it up:

post-891-054904000 1283990018_thumb.jpg

Any defense seeing this would naturally think some sort of run thing was coming. That Spiller had already been successful only added to that.

When all three RB's (one was Stupar but could have been Lynch or Jackson when healthy) stayed back to block, we had 8 blockers - all day for Edwards to relax and Evans to get open.

The beauty of a RB-based max-protect scheme though is that it looks like run, so the DB was ready to close in instead of stay and help with Evans.

I LOVE this play design, even more than the intelligence with when it was used.

:worthy: Chan the MAN!

Interesting. There are 8 men in the box to deal with what looks like the run. The only person you can't see is the safety as the CBs are up to press the WRs. As I recall, the safety bit on Johnson (I think he's the other WR) cutting across the middle, and the 8 men max protect gave TE the time to wait for the safety to take the bait.

Interesting. There are 8 men in the box to deal with what looks like the run. The only person you can't see is the safety as the CBs are up to press the WRs. As I recall, the safety bit on Johnson (I think he's the other WR) cutting across the middle, and the 8 men max protect gave TE the time to wait for the safety to take the bait.

Yes - it's Stevie Johnson, and he goes up about 10 yards then cuts straight across - he's wide open underneath for a 1st down - but I suspect the important part is he's "sweeping up" any players who might be in a short zone and making sure they stay short instead of following Evans.

The idea of calling an audible just gave Dick Jauron a hernia.

So true! :wallbash:

Another thing you can see in the picture: the guy lined up over Evans at the first-down marker isn't looking at 83, he's looking at Edwards and the RB's.

AND then if you look at Edwards (and I think Spiller too) he's looking right back at that DB, which makes me wonder if that's the pre-snap read Trent's making to decide to audible run or pass?! If he sees that guy focused on Evans, he gives to Spiller? The guy lined up on Stevie is also ignoring him and staring into the backfield.

Edited by BobChalmers

post-891-043031300 1283996964_thumb.jpg

post-891-023541900 1283997976_thumb.jpg

A few moments after the snap, you can see that because all three backs start lined up fairly far back, even though they are pass-blocking, their initial moves are all to charge forward - it still looks like a run play. Edwards adds to the affect with a play-action move.

It's easy to see that both corners (and the safety in this backfield view picture) are still looking into the backfield expecting run.

#93 Freeney isn't even heading towards Edwards - he's shooting down right along the back of the offensive line - probably looking to disrupt Spiller who he expects to be going there, but instead makes himself easy pickings for Stupar's block and is no threat at all to Edwards.

Edited by BobChalmers

Excellent post. Why both watching ESPN w/ posts like this. And yea, we have actual intelligent design in our O strategy now it's amazing it's like we're a real NFL team...

Thanks - I'm glad you enjoyed it. Film study is really awesome stuff, and the digital age makes it feasible for non-professionals. I did a fair amount of it for my son's HS lacrosse team, and it was very informative.

Edited by BobChalmers

That really was an excellent designed play, that was called at the right time, and executed to perfection. When was the last time that happened? That said, I don't know if the Colts were completely baffled or what, but no one covered anyone on that play. The CBs did nothing, and didn't look like they knew what to do. The safety that eventually ignored Evans right in front of him to run after Stevie Johnson must have just had a brain fart or just guessed. He looked horrible on that play. That was atrocious defense. Hopefully, Chan can do this to teams once or twice a game and really have them on their heels.

Edited by Kelly the Fair and Balanced Dog

A few moments after the snap, you can see that because all three backs start lined up fairly far back, even though they are pass-blocking, their initial moves are all to charge forward - it still looks like a run play. Edwards adds to the affect with a play-action move.

It's easy to see that both corners (and the safety in this backfield view picture) are still looking into the backfield expecting run.

#93 Freeney isn't even heading towards Edwards - he's shooting down right along the back of the offensive line - probably looking to disrupt Spiller who he expects to be going there, but instead makes himself easy pickings for Stupar's block and is no threat at all to Edwards.

Nice breakdown of the play. Did you take stills from a video, or did you take the photos?

I'm sure that is the case, the trouble in this formation with the two up-backs being lynch and Jackson is they are then lead blockers, which is neither of their specialties. That's why it likely would work better with McIntyre and Stupar.

Edited by Ghost of Rob Johnson

Bob, this is excellent stuff. If you're correct about Edwards possibly having the option to audible, wow just wow. This will be a FUN offense to watch :)

Magnificent. Great post. :thumbsup:

What is really funny about all this is that when I was in little league (early 1970s) we always ran the Tgun (we actually were taught to call it the Tbone LOL, it is a freeze the LBS formation and yeah that safety blew it big time, how did he not see Lee running right by?) and we won a championship. You can also run an option out of it, it really could be a great formation for the bills to use a lot this year. Since it does have the effect of freezing Lbs it should work well on teams that are using 3/4. It has weaknesses if you don't have good blockers picking up blitzes though. It is funny because it is as old as sin too.

I love misdirection and it's pretty cool to see Chan use some of it effectively.

Nice stills BTW where did you get them?

Edited by bowery4

It's a cool play. I have to admit, it's something I have never considered. It actually places more importance on the receiver's skills than the QB. I think the Bills receivers are more talented than the QB's, so this is the right way to do things.

As an aside, I wish the Bills would have done something like this last year when they had Owens.