Kraig Urbik vs Geoff Hangartner, Cornell Green

I think you will see it coming down to Hangartner vrs Urbik, with Wood being the wildacard as far as guard or C goes - if Urbik were to beat out anyone that is.

I for one have a very low opinion of Hangartner and really think he needs to be replaced. It may not happen this year unless there is an injury, but long term he has to be moved to the bench. I could see Urbik being the first backup at both G positions and Wood would slid to C if it was Hangman that goes down. Urbik could eventually replace Hangman on the line - lets just get the bst 5 out there and determine their positions later.

Kraig Urbik can play guard and center, 6-5 323, a bit slowly to play Tackle but Cornell Green is not fast anyway.

option one: Eric Wood at center and Kraig Urbik at LG

option two: Geoff Hangartner Center, Urbik LG & Wood RG, can Levitre play Tackle

Levitre was a tackle in college, and did play tackle at times for the Bills last season when the injury bug hit late in the year.

I for one have a very low opinion of Hangartner and really think he needs to be replaced.

I respectfully disagree. Hangartner played between two rookie OGs (when Wood was in there) and two absolutely terrible OTs last year. He is stong, and can move. I rate him as a slightly better than average Center, and think that his game will pick up this year.

At least I hope it does.

People -- What is going on with the Urbik love? Urbik is a developmental player. :wallbash:

He was inactive for all 16 games last season. He is not going to step in and take anyones job. He is a backup depth player

that has potential someday. Unless we get hit with injuries, that someday will be next year after he has a full training camp.

He is not the second coming of Billy Shaw, or even Glenn Parker. Today, he is not better than Hangetner so there will be no

moving of interior lineman to accomodate a place for him.

Does it make sense that if we has that good, good enough to start, that Pittsburgh would have kept him?

I respectfully disagree. Hangartner played between two rookie OGs (when Wood was in there) and two absolutely terrible OTs last year. He is stong, and can move. I rate him as a slightly better than average Center, and think that his game will pick up this year.

At least I hope it does.

AGREE!!

he is by far the best center we have seen in the last ten years! and he is just getting started, the coaching staff asked a lot of him last years, making all the line calls to a different group nearly every week. I honestly think he is the 2nd best center in the afc east.

People -- What is going on with the Urbik love? Urbik is a developmental player. :wallbash:

He was inactive for all 16 games last season. He is not going to step in and take anyones job. He is a backup depth player

that has potential someday. Unless we get hit with injuries, that someday will be next year after he has a full training camp.

He is not the second coming of Billy Shaw, or even Glenn Parker. Today, he is not better than Hangetner so there will be no

Does it make sense that if we has that good, good enough to start, that Pittsburgh would have kept him?

Obviously. Not to mention, Pittsburgh's OL also blows.

Since Urbik was inactive every game, presumably he was 4th in the interior line depth chart, and there were no serious injuries. Obviously the Bills coaches don't expect him to step right into the lineup. However, it does seem reasonable to expect him to be the 3rd interior lineman on the depth chart this season. He does have a season of NFL practice experience under his belt; obviously the same can't be said of Howard.

At least I hope it does.

AGREE!!

he is by far the best center we have seen in the last ten years! and he is just getting started, the coaching staff asked a lot of him last years, making all the line calls to a different group nearly every week. I honestly think he is the 2nd best center in the afc east.

im in the same boat as you guys. i think Hangartner played very well last year considering what he was surrounded by, and what he was asked to do.

FURTHERMORE, it needs to be pointed out that Hangartner did the one thing that no other Bill has been willing to do lately. Play through an injury. His back was beyond trashed, to the point that he could barely stand up. but he knew we had no one behind him, so he ground it out. And people have the audacity (stupidity) to criticize him as not being able to get the snap all the way back to the QB in that game, like that was how he has always played... he couldnt get the snap back because he was injured and we didnt have anyone else/better to take his spot. he's a warrior and (i hope) leader of this young core interior.

At least I hope it does.

We agree! I don't understand the Hangartner bashing around here. The middle of this OL looks really strong heading into the season. We all know what the question marks are.

Didn't Gailey already state something to the effect that Ubrik probably would not see any playing time this year and he has some talent but needs time. I think putting him in the starting line-up is a bit premature.

The Bills had eight OL before signing Urbik. Cordaro Howard was the lone backup guard. The team had to get another backup guard and probably felt a better guy than what they had would be released. They grabbed Urbik and he's second string on the depth chart behind Wood while Howard is behind Levitre. (Link)

It appears the Bills are going with young guys with upside for the roster. A lot of new coaches do this because younger guys aren't set in their ways and are willing to listen to a new way of doing things.

Urbik is a backup that hopefully won't see the field in a game this year. He's a project. JMO

I have absolutely no idea about that either. I wish I knew how people arrive at the conclusion he's better than Wood, Hangartner or Levitre.

We agree! I don't understand the Hangartner bashing around here. The middle of this OL looks really strong heading into the season. We all know what the question marks are.

I don't understand the Hangartner bashing either. Every OL gets owned on certain plays, nobody is perfect.

Play center in the AFC East you play 6 games against top notch NT's. Play inbetween in two rookies and it is even tougher.

Hangartner does a decent job. Much better than Trey Teague, Melvin Folwer, and Duke Preston. Given the division we play it, shame on the Bills FO for not addressing this position sooner and with higher priority.

At least I hope it does.

When Hang was starting between those two rookies Gs, it was pretty obvious to me he was the least physically gifted. Many times he was just dominated. Maybe he is great with his assignments and helps those two with thiers (i wouldnt know), but when it comes down to blocking his guy he is like a boy in a mans league.

I understand Urbik was inactive all last season, but there are maybe 2 or 3 other teams in the NFL that Hang would start for. Maybe the Bills are ok with that, but thats not going to cut it for me personally.

Bob,

You are not authorized to have common sense on this board buddy sorry... Get with the program and argue that Urbik might become a tight end on third down....

I thought Hangartner was one of the stronger elements of our line last year, not really saying much but none the less he definitely isn't a weak link on our line.

well, he wasn't terrible... but there were some of those studies/stats that labeled him one of the worst in the league, in terms of how often he got beat vs. doing his job etc.

he did seem to get owned more than your average Center, but we did go against some tough competition. i think we need better play there, but hopefully he can get it himself.. otherwise i'm all for trying Wood at center (at least next year) and letting Urbik and a new guy fight for the RG spot. right now though, the lineup is not changing.