Jake Locker

BillsVet

DIdn't see anyone discussing Jake Locker's 2010 opener at BYU on Saturday night. Thought I'd interject a few observations:

-UW HC Steve Sarkisian still designs plays to feature Locker's great mobility. Evidently, Locker runs a 4.4 40 and he's more than just an outstanding athlete. Still not keen on seeing him running the ball. He had 11 carries for 29 yards, including a 9 yard TD run.

-UW does not have much elite CFB talent. Locker probably had 2-3 catchable balls that were dropped during the game. He ended up 20-37 for 266 yards 1 pass TD and the 1 (debatable) rushing TD.

-Locker made a throw from the far hashmark on an out-route that is a difficult throw in football, college or pro. He put the ball right on the money to his WR.

-his decision making is a little suspect, and Locker failed to connect on 2 4th quarter throws on 4th down.

-he's not a finished product, but it's apparent he's improved with tutelage from Sarkisian, himself a pretty good former college QB. Still wish he wasn't involved in too many designed QB runs, but it's college and UW has to win games.

All in all, he's a little rough around the edges IMO, but it seems the tools are there, especially the arm strength. UW is home versus SU next week. Hard to say on how he reads defenses, but the physical tools are definitely there.

DIdn't see anyone discussing Jake Locker's 2010 opener at BYU on Saturday night. Thought I'd interject a few observations:

-UW HC Steve Sarkisian still designs plays to feature Locker's great mobility. Evidently, Locker runs a 4.4 40 and he's more than just an outstanding athlete. Still not keen on seeing him running the ball. He had 11 carries for 29 yards, including a 9 yard TD run.

-UW does not have much elite CFB talent. Locker probably had 2-3 catchable balls that were dropped during the game. He ended up 20-37 for 266 yards 1 pass TD and the 1 (debatable) rushing TD.

-Locker made a throw from the far hashmark on an out-route that is a difficult throw in football, college or pro. He put the ball right on the money to his WR.

-his decision making is a little suspect, and Locker failed to connect on 2 4th quarter throws on 4th down.

-he's not a finished product, but it's apparent he's improved with tutelage from Sarkisian, himself a pretty good former college QB. Still wish he wasn't involved in too many designed QB runs, but it's college and UW has to win games.

All in all, he's a little rough around the edges IMO, but it seems the tools are there, especially the arm strength. UW is home versus SU next week. Hard to say on how he reads defenses, but the physical tools are definitely there.

Thanks for the info BillsVet. :thumbsup: Quite a large number of us fans will be keeping our eyes on Locker's progress.

I saw the game on replay last night, and was not impressed with Locker in the least.

He is inaccurate, didn't throw deep and looked very rusty.

Granted, it was the FGOTS, but he did not look sharp at any time in the game.

JMHO, and I don't have an axe to grind regarding Locker - or any other QB not named Brady.

Locker probably has the most overall talent of any QB in next year's draft and its hard to debate that. He still needs some work on his reads and decision making. Looks for the big play downfield more often than not when he needs to check down (yes I know checking down is a bad word on TSW)

What I would like to see from Jake to show his improvement is a completion percentage closer to 60 and stay away from taking big hits.

Thanks for the update. Hopefully Trent plays well enough this year that we won't need to take one of these guys early.

That's what I'm worried about. Though I think the Bills will be smart enough not to be fooled by any jump up to mediocrity by Trent (that is, from "suck" up to "not terrible"). He is not the long term answer.

Here is a thought. Why don't we let this season get a few games in and see what Trent can do in Gailey's offense before we try naming next years "star" QB.

I'm all for keeping an eye on the future, but all of this Locker and Luck crap is getting to be ridiculous.

That's what I'm worried about. Though I think the Bills will be smart enough not to be fooled by any jump up to mediocrity by Trent (that is, from "suck" up to "not terrible"). He is not the long term answer.

What if he has a pro-bowl like season? Could possibly be the worst situation Bills might have. Might be their one chance to draft a QB of the future, yet they have a guy who just made the pro-bowl and will be a free agent...

With QBs, its mainly about accuracy, anticipation, and ability to read a Defense. All the armstrenth in the world cannot replace accuracy or reading a defense, while anticipation can greatly make up for poor armstrength. Take arm stength out of the arguement and Locker/Mallet fall out of the equation very quickly. Thats why I dont like either of them as much as Luck. Struggle to read the D and both have major accuracy issues.

Texas Tech's Taylor Potts went 34/53, 359 yds, 4 TDs/0 INTs against SMU - and will be around in round 3 or 4.

Unless we finish dead last and win the Ryan Mallett pool (which we won't), the 'gotta take a first-round QB guys' will likely be disappointed again. We're not gonna be crappy enough to draft Locker either. Luck doesn't really fit Buddy Nix's self-stated desires for draftable QBs (4 years/30 games/lots of experience & big game exposure). Kid's a red-shirt sophomore - is he even declaring for the 2011 draft?

I'm thinking we'll be drafting in the mid-to-bottom half of round one - hopefully landing an OT like

Gabe Carimi

Edited by The Senator

+1

I also think Carimi is the wiser pick, and the season will bear us out.

Texas Tech's Taylor Potts went 34/53, 359 yds, 4 TDs/0 INTs against SMU - and will be around in round 3 or 4.

Unless we finish dead last and win the Ryan Mallett pool (which we won't), the 'gotta take a first-round QB guys' will likely be disappointed again. We're not gonna be crappy enough to draft Locker either. Luck doesn't really fit Buddy Nix's self-stated desires for draftable QBs (4 years/30 games/lots of experience & big game exposure). Kid's a red-shirt sophomore - is he even declaring for the 2011 draft?

I'm thinking we'll be drafting in the mid-to-bottom half of round one - hopefully landing an OT like

Gabe Carimi

Gabe Carimi

It would be great to have a guy like Carimi. His aggressiveness at run blocking and ability to get to the 2nd level is nice.

Gabe Carimi

I stopped reading after it said the kid was like Bulaga and Calloway...

1 is a 1st rounder who cant win a job as a guard, not to mention the tackle spot he was drafted to play...and the other did not even make it to the final cuts!

I just heard a rundown on Jake's first outing on the radio on my way home, and they basically said the same things as you. Flashes of great talent. Iffy decision making. Some accuracy issues. Work in progress and a decent 1st game.