Most Over Rated Band of All Time?

truth on hold

I just got reminded of another band that is over-rated (it's like a bale of hay came out of the sky and hit me with this one) - ELO. I used to think wtf is Jeff Lynne doing with Petty, Dylan, Orbison and Harrison in the Wilburys. He's like "which of these is not like the others." Turns out the TW was his idea, so that's why he was in!

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got reminded of another band that is over-rated (it's like a bale of hay came out of the sky and hit me with this one) - ELO. I used to think wtf is Jeff Lynne doing with Petty, Dylan, Orbison and Harrison in the Wilburys. He's like "which of these is not like the others." Turns out the TW was his idea, so that's why he was in!

Petty the hack. At least Jeff Lynne did have his moments back in the day.

Well, who'd a thunk it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toronto_%28band%29

Excerpt:

Hits included "Your Daddy Don't Know", "Start Tellin' the Truth", and "Girls' Night Out"

We, since I never hear of em, they aren't overrated, IMO.

Not only do I have 2 Toronto albums, I've seen them live.

So, for the sake of this discussion, it sounds like Toronto is overrated. By you!

Well, there weren't many concerts in Halifax back then so you took what you could get. They opened for another obscure Canadian band named Teaze. I also saw greats like Streetheart, Prism, The Headpins, & Harlequin (actually they were really good). Max Webster rose to fame (relatively speaking) opening for Rush for many years.

http://www.canadianbands.com/

Good call! Again, ELO reminds me of happy child-hood days, but their "sound" (production), or moreover, Jeff Lynne's sound is wretched. Jrff Lynne, and Daniel Lanois should be kept away from producing any other artists. Kind of agree with Rico about Tom Petty being a hack, at this point, but his downward spiral, IMO, began with working with Jeff Lynne, and MTV. Lynne also killed another of my favorites, Dave Edmunds. and his production made the later George Harrison albums unlistenable. It is like when Lynne produces somebody else's music, it becomes his album, and the artist is just along for the ride, and the name, to sell a few albums.

Have to agree with AC/DC, Kiss, and John Mayer as over rated. I'd throw Cheap trick in there as well.

You had me, until you mentioned Cheap Trick. To me, I don't know if the term underrated applies, but, I think they are very under appreciated. AC/DC is one of those bands whose greatness has been exaggerated with time, and, was there ever a time when anyone who takes music seriously thought that KISS or John Mayer were any good? Perhaps 15 year old members of the KISS army, and old ladies and little girls. As someone else very astutely pointed out, John Mayer is, perhaps, one of the bigges d-bags in all of popular music... and his muzak reflects that.. :sick:

Good call! Again, ELO reminds me of happy child-hood days, but their "sound" (production), or moreover, Jeff Lynne's sound is wretched. Jrff Lynne, and Daniel Lanois should be kept away from producing any other artists. Kind of agree with Rico about Tom Petty being a hack, at this point, but his downward spiral, IMO, began with working with Jeff Lynne, and MTV. Lynne also killed another of my favorites, Dave Edmunds. and his production made the later George Harrison albums unlistenable. It is like when Lynne produces somebody else's music, it becomes his album, and the artist is just along for the ride, and the name, to sell a few albums.

I would agree with you on Lynne as producer. I would also agree with you on ELO reminding me of happy days (senior year), and I still love A New World Record. I like some of Petty's songs, but I always saw him as a Byrds rip-off in a lot of ways, and I found him to be pretty lame live on the Dylan & The Heartbreakers 1986 tour.

I didn't realize Lynne produced all that stuff. I was going to come back to this thread and agree with Rico that Petty does seem over-rated to me. All my friends think he's great, and I was supposed to go to the show last week, but then my mother ended up in the hospital........I really don't care that I missed it, just that I missed a fun night with my friends.

And, I was thinking the same thing without knowing it was Lynne related. I really like American Girl, The Waiting (which he never plays anymore), etc. But, when he became an MTV star with that hat, I really don't like of those late 80s/90s songs - Free Falling, Don't come around here no more, etc.........(Although I do love Running Down a Dream)

Really simple criteria.

To be overrated one has to have a hit(s), be highly touted and then proceed to suck or get unlistenable. Sounds like Rush to me... I guess it all boils down to the ears of the beholder... But first that beholder has to admit that the person/group's artwork was good at one time. IMO, all other arguing about the group/person is immaterial.

Really simple criteria.

But first that beholder has to admit that the person/group's artwork was good at one time.

Not a factor at all, IMO. They just have to have been popular and well thought of. They didn't ever have to be "good". U2 was never good. :rolleyes:

Not a factor at all, IMO. They just have to have been popular and well thought of. They didn't ever have to be "good". U2 was never good. :rolleyes:

I agree 100%. I don't know where that criteria would come from?...........I especially agree that U2 was never good, they were always and still are great! :thumbsup: