What's with all this AFC East Toughness BS?

I was watching last night when Chris Brown broke down last year's standings. Fins 7-9, Jets 9-7, Pats 10-6. Where's the dominant team? We were 6-10, a couple plays from being right in the thick of it, and we're improved. It's not like we're trying to catch up with the 16-0 Pats of a few years back.

Every time anybody discusses the AFC East, they talk about the Fins, Pats, and Jets. We are a total afterthought. Looking at last year's standings, it just doesn't make any sense. We were one game from being tied with Miami. Had we won that first game against New England and all other games played out the same, we'd have been tied with Miami, and both the Jets and Pats would've been 9-7. Two games difference.

There is no respect for this team. I can't wait till the opener. Really.

I was watching last night when Chris Brown broke down last year's standings. Fins 7-9, Jets 9-7, Pats 10-6. Where's the dominant team? We were 6-10, a couple plays from being right in the thick of it, and we're improved. It's not like we're trying to catch up with the 16-0 Pats of a few years back.

Every time anybody discusses the AFC East, they talk about the Fins, Pats, and Jets. We are a total afterthought. Looking at last year's standings, it just doesn't make any sense. We were one game from being tied with Miami. Had we won that first game against New England and all other games played out the same, we'd have been tied with Miami, and both the Jets and Pats would've been 9-7. Two games difference.

I hear ya. I listen to and watch a lot of sports coverage from ESPN TV/radio to the NFL Network to local stuff and I'm amazed at how many times I've heard/seen the Bills left out of a discussion of the AFCE. You would think it's a 3 team division. The Jets are overrated, the Dolphins are ordinary, and the Patsies are on the decline. The Bills are not the 30th ranked team that everyone has them made out to be! I hope that they are carrying a chip on their shoulders from all of this disrespect.

Somehow the Jets have risen to superpower status despite only getting in the playoffs because their final two opponents quit last season. I'm sure it would please a lot of people here (myself included) if they were to flame out. It really wouldn't be much of a surprise if they did.

Maybe moving to St Louis has given you too much reasoning. Only negative, pessimistic and 'the sky is falling' comments can be posted here. Please....move back to Buffalo. :lol:

On a serious note, I fully agree! - The Jets and Fins have shown little from their 'Franchise QB's' this pre-season while the rest of their teammates are holding out, awaiting suspension or spending time looking for lost earrings.

Edited by BillsFanInLV

Fins and Jets made a lot of splashy moves and the Pats* are always a solid team thus the Bills who made some low profile additions and made a change of coach without a flashy name are thus predicted to be a bad team compared to other teams who made more splashy moves.

Also lets no pretend that the Bills don't deserve some of these bad predictions. We have a shaky O-line at best, a bad QB situation, A defense converting schemes, and a lack of skill position talent on top of that. Lets face it its not unreasonable to think the Bills won't be that good.

Yet there is a disrespect and knocking of the Bills in the media I don't like. Its ok to think we won't be that good but to disrespect the franchise and its fans like some have is unprofessional.

Let's see, now what could have happened over the course of the last decade to cause people to take the Bills lightly....hmmm.....

Believe me, I get that. However this team does have talent, mainly in the secondary and RB position. Special teams hasn't looked great in PS, but we have talented kickoff and punt returners. This team is much better than the national media types think. I can't wait to watch these bitches chase the bandwagon!

I tend to agree with you. The Patriots are in transition. Bilichick being the coach that he is will still be in the hunt for a playoff position, but it's not a given. The Jets are overrated. Their defense is very strong, but I question how well they'll play as a team. Also, Ryan is a blowhard. They'll do reasonably well and compete for a playoff spot, but again not a given. The Dolphins will rebound from last season and should be in the hunt, but they have weaknesses. The Bills should be better, but also have a tough schedule, but I think they'll still be in the hunt. I think what you have in the AFC East is 4 teams that could all end up near .500 with perhaps just a win or two separating the top team from the bottom team. I don't think a wildcard will come out of the AFC East. I think the division winner will be the only AFC East playoff team.

What kind of post is this? Idiot. The Bills suck, suck, suck.

Thought I'd throw in my obligatory self-demeaning post. One has to keep one's head down around here, you know.

Look, TC, I'll say it here and now. This could be one of the better offenses in the AFC East. I'm not prepared to say the Bills will outrun the Pats*. However, it's starting to look like the Bills can lay a few points on good teams (last I checked, Indy went to the Super Bowl). My greatest concern is that the linebacking corps performs worse than some of the posters on this forum. And THAT, my friend, is saying something. The Bills look to have the capability to put some points on the board against the rest of the AFC East. Bubble screens into the short zone against the Bills? Ugly, as usual.

OK, just for fun answer the following question so that at the end of the year we can go back and check it. Which team(s) in the AFC East will have a worse record than the Bills this year? All those at TBD feel free to go on record too!

See my answer below.

I'm not saying the Bills will win the AFC East. I don't know how this is gonna play out. All I'm saying is I don't understand all the talk about how dominating the other 3 are gonna be. The most dominant of them lost 6 games last year (should've been 7) and really didn't do much to get better. The Jets are without their best defender, and I still don't get this Chad Henne hype. Whatever. Bring it.

The Bills should be better, but also have a tough schedule, but I think they'll still be in the hunt.

Why is it that only the Bills will have a tough schedule. The entire AFC East will have a brutal schedule. 14 opponents are common opponents for all the AFC East teams (6 AFC East, 4 AFC North, 4 NFC North). We play the 4th place schedule bottom feeders in AFC South (Jax) and AFC West (KC). The Dolphins have to play oakland and houston. The Jets would have to play Tennessee and Denver and the Pats have to play the Chargers and Colts.

If anything it is far more brutal for the other three teams than us. As someone else posted, the Dolphins were 7-9 compared to our 6-10 and now they have a tougher schedule than us.

All great points! Just remember, respect comes when this team learns how to win the close ones. Until then, we will remain an afterthought. I do think we are on the right track and the Bills will gel and learn how to close out games the right way. Good coaching and game planning along with adjustments is what this team has lacked and now they appear to have it.

I agree. All of the AFC East struggled last year. And as close as some of our games were in the division, I see no reason why we can't be at least 50% within our division. While the AFC E. isn't as week as some other divisions, we certainly are not in a "powerhouse" division anymore. My spidey senses are not picking up any real danger ahead.(Don't laugh. Our DB's started the comic book character thing. Not me)