Have ever you hated a player in the NFL?

Bryan Cox. Even after all these years I swear I would jump the curb to run him over.

Yep, first person who popped into my head too. I was unproductive (no suprise as I'm at work) thinking of anyone else who even compares. I do recall some announcers that I hate, but not their names. You know the morons who talk forever about someone they have some man-crush on and glorify everything they do all game; especially when the object of their affection is only having a moderately good game.

I hate monkeys too. Clowns. Man yeah, clowns. Sometimes I meet people who irritate the crap out of me immediately and invariably end up being clowns as some kinda weird side thing. Crap learn to golf or something. poodles dressed up, particularly dressed up as clowns. I gotta find a new therapist.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jack Tatum was an !@#$ and still is in the ground.. he got what he deserved for killing daryl stingly basically.

Just a perspective - you are certainly entitled to your opinion. Parts of this article were emphasized by me. Link to complete article follows.

A sad story indeed.

There is nothing wrong with playing vicious football. It is, after all, a pretty vicious game. But this hit changed a man's life forever.

Stingley was running a slant as Grogan dropped back to fire the ball over the middle. Tatum lowered his shoulder and laid a forearm and helmet to Stingley's face mask as the receiver lunged for a pass that would sail over his head, out of reach.

Stingley dropped to the ground, unconscious, at the Raiders' 10-yard line. His roommate, Pro Bowl tight end Russ Francis was the first Patriot to reach Stingley's motionless body, and it was clear to anyone watching that Francis knew right away that something was terribly wrong.

Training staff for both teams rushed onto the field to assess the situation and quickly came to the same conclusion.

The stretcher was brought out, and Stingley was carefully strapped onto it, his head secured in a stabilizing brace as he was rolled off the field.

There was an ambulance, there was tension, there was chaos.

There was no flag, however, no penalty assessed. The Hit was entirely legal at the time. Defensive backs were free to initiate this kind of contact with a receiver anywhere on the field, whether or not he had the ball.

It took some time for things to calm down on the field, but eventually the game resumed.

Darryl Stingley's life as he had known it did not.

The Stinger never walked again. The hit had crushed and dislocated two vertebrae in his neck, severely damaging his spinal cord. He was rendered quadriplegic and would spend his remaining years in a wheelchair.

During Stingley's three months in a California hospital, Oakland coach John Madden was an almost daily visitor. Madden was reportedly devastated by what had occurred, and he and Stingley remained close for years.

The late Gene Upshaw, who was playing for the Raiders in that game, also came to know Stingley well. In his eventual role as executive director of the NFLPA, Upshaw pushed for owners to provide compensation for players who were disabled as a result of the occupational hazards of professional football.

Thanks to Upshaw's efforts, Stingley eventually was awarded $48,000 a year.

For their part, the Patriots' organization unsuccessfully tried to cancel Stingley's health insurance, typical of the Sullivans. In the end. however, they paid his medical bills and kept him on the payroll.

Tatum apparently was not inclined to be apologetic or otherwise helpful. From his perspective, it was a clean hit, requiring no apology.

Technically, he was right.

But given that the injury took place in a completely irrelevant preseason game, many Patriots fans felt that there was no justification for the kind of hit he had put on Stingley.

Does the importance of a game make a difference in how it is approached by players?

It is safe to say that it does now, as players are more aware of the consequences of a tough hit in an inconsequential game.

But the professional football of Tatum's era was played in a different universe. The rules were much looser for defenders, and

Today, The Hit likely would result in a penalty, maybe an ejection and a fine, possibly even a suspension. But we can't very well judge Tatum by today's standards.

Maybe we should thank him for his role in bringing about much-needed change in the rules of the game.

Full article by Terry Robinson , a self proclaimed die hard Patriots fan: Darrly Stingley - from a "then and now" blog

I was going to say Frank Middleton, his cut block on Sam Cowart was one of the dirtiest plays in football. For those that don't remember Cowart was having a great game (I believe he had 3 sacks in the 1st half of the game) and was the best LB in the game when Middleton took him out.

Sapp was a complete D bag outside of football.

Cowart was never the same after that cheap shot from Middleton

Larry Csonka. Not that he was a jerk or anything like that because he wasn't. It's just that he could kill the Bills at will.

You gotta love his outdoor show "North to Alaska". He's an awesome guy, once he took off the uni.

I hated and still hate Deon Sanders. A complete retard off the field and hit like my sister. Cocky, self absorbed POS.

I clicked on the thread to post Bryan Cox, glad to see he was in the first post as well. :thumbsup:

outside of that, I dont know if there has been a player that Ive hated as much. Brady is up there, but when Cox was playing I was 12-17 years old so my entire world revolved around the Bills and football and I had a lot of time and energy to dedicate to hating him.

yeah, I guess I have to put Brady up there because now that Cox is out of football, and I've seen him commentate on a few shows, I have to admit I would piss on Cox if he was on fire. Brady, I would let burn.

I always hated Marino when he was playing, but my family had a run-in with Marino back in 1984 and the guy was a complete class-act, above and beyond what I'd expect out of any pro athlete today, so it's tough for me to "hate" him. Plus, we always beat him so it was no big deal. I used to LOVE watching our D knock him down once or twice and then watch him implode as he bitched out everyone else on his Offense. But I cant hate Marino.

I saw the header and thought of Cox and his middle fingers, I still remember and always will. John Elway for pulling the first Eli Manning shenanigans. I also hated him because it seemed to me he was so overrated. Now people talk about him like he is top ten all time, when he played he was like fifth-to-tenth best in the league. I would also have to say Mike Vick and Bill Romanowski.

Jim Kelly - God I hate that guy, what a sissy!

Thurman Thomas - Most overrated back in NFL History

oh, and Steve Tasker - No heart and no talent whatsoever...........

Relax everyone, just joking. Just wanted to wake everyone up a little bit and have som fun. The first guy I thought of was Rodney Harrison. I have a deep seeded hatred for "hard hitting" safeties like Harrison, like John Lynch, etc. What the commentators never tell you about these super tough guys is that all they do is try to decapitate smaller receivers while they are not looking. You never see these tough guys lay the wood to a TE, FB or RB who is comming at them straight up. Just always made me disgusted to see how much run some of those players got when their entire reputations were based on cheap shots. Then they walk around like they were Mike Tyson in the 80's. As a player I used to love going up against guys like that with big reputations for being "hard hitting" safeties or line backers. (I was a TE, but not professionally) always knocked them right on their asses until they eventually got the hint and started to avoid contact.

Edited by tonyd19

I'm weird but I always respected Cox. He added to the hate and I saw a feature of how he fired himself up for games (he pictured other players breaking into his house to hurt his family and that he was in slavery - crazy stuff). Also, I heard a lot of n bombs were flying so I can understand why he was pissed. He also picked the Bills to go to the SB when Bledsoe was here and he was on TV. He was the kinda player you hated on another team but would love on another one.

As for players I really don't like

Rodney Harrison

Joey Porter

TO (though he is more likeable since he has mellowed)

Jay Cutler (whiny douche)

Keyshawn Johnson (acted like he was elite when he was a very average receiver)

Dan Marino. Dude tried to pick up my wife in a hotel bar while his family was having dinner in the hotel restaurant.

And Doug Flutie. Self-centered little !@#$.

did you ever stop to think that maybe your wife is simply THAT stunning? should take it as a compliment :thumbsup:

I was going to say Frank Middleton, his cut block on Sam Cowart was one of the dirtiest plays in football. For those that don't remember Cowart was having a great game (I believe he had 3 sacks in the 1st half of the game) and was the best LB in the game when Middleton took him out.

Sapp was a complete D bag outside of football.

I remember that game. I believe it was against Tampa. Cowart had a sack on first down, second down, third down, then Tampa punted. And Cowart was never the same after that cheapshot

I would have to say Cox or any Dolphin player, coach, fan or relative to anyone who even associates themselves with any of those.

Same goes for the Pats and Jets.

I really hated Ronnie Harmon for the longest time but looking back, maybe that drop opened the doors to what followed the next handful of years.

I didn't hate Flutie but I did really dislike the guy. I personally think he was responsible for dividing the locker room with those teams in the late 90's and being an indirect cause to such great players leaving on sour notes, such as Bruce and Thurman, with a bunch of others mixed in there. There was definitely some potential with those teams and everyone loves to blame RJ but I think it went a lot deeper than just the QB controversy. I just don't think Flutie was a team player and caused a lot of unnecessary strife among teammates. Just my opinion.

Plaxico Burress- Had the displeasure of meeting him a few times around NJ, guy is a grade A douchehole, and hangs out with even more unsavory people. Believes the world should be handed to him. Just an all around a**.

Corey Dillon- just had the look and smugness of someone you'd just like to punch in the face. Hated him when he was with Cincy hated him more when he was with NE.

Wes Welker- another smug little sob. Guy gets talked about being some great wr. Yes he's good after the catch but his production is more than half based on the guy across from him. Would

never be catching 100+ passes a year if Randy Moss wasn't on the pats. Teams would rather take their lumps letting Welker get his cheap uncovered 5-7 yard gains, than be burned by Moss. Always enjoy it on the rare occasion when Welker gets rocked.

In all there's a lot of players I don't like but these are the only 3 that I actually can't stand.

I never say I hate any player but I have zero respect for Tom Brady and how he is given way too much credit for what the Pats as a team have done. Put him on any other team and he would fail. Matt Cassel proved that by going 11 and 5 after being the only known QB in NFL history to ever start an NFL game at quarterback without ever starting at quarterback in college. He would never have been able to have done with the Colts what Manning has done or even what Brees has done.