Chan Gailey - looks like a coach that can

Bob in STL

One of the most disturbing and frustrating things about the Jauron era was the apparent lack of ability to adjust. Whether is was the first half or the second, it seemed liked we never had a Plan B. Some of our players and even some opponents have alluded to this issue as well.

Here are some quotes from yesterdays game that mmake me hopeful that our new coach can do a better job in this area:

1. About the offense: "They were playing the run very hard to start with," Gailey said. "After we saw that, we figured we had to throw it a bunch to soften them up a little bit, and I thought we were able to do that."

2. About the defense: "They're still a work in progress," Gailey said, "like the offense is a work in progress and special teams are a work in progress. We've got a lot to get better at, everywhere. We did some good things, and we've got to make adjustments quicker and faster."

Seems like everyone has started with a clean slate and he is trying to use the talent he has. Novel idea. :thumbsup:

Gailey's use of Roscoe is just more proof that there is a lot more talent on this team than people think. Jauron wanted a very vanilla conservative offensive philosophy. Jauron's OCs had no idea how one play set up another play and just called what seemed to be working instead of calling plays in a progression that makes them work. Gailey's three passes in a row to loosen up the running game was a very good play calling series. Schonert and Van Pelt would have done run, run pass, IMO.

It seems the Bungles came out with the idea that they would make TE try to beat them by stuffing the running game. TE is a lot better now than he's ever been in his career and teams are going to have to show some respect for him.

The things Gailey's done to elevate this offense are; (JMO)

Switching to the zone blocking scheme. It seems the guys we have on the offensive line are much better at this than the schemes used last year. TE has actually been given some time to throw. The blocking on the running game, at least early, wasn't very good but it got better and will continue to.

Coaching the QB's. We all know of Gailey's track record. He takes scrubeenie QBs and turns them into solid players. I think TE is one of the most talented QB's he's worked with. TE looks like he could be a top 12 QB this year. (I know it's early but with Chan's ability to call plays and his obvious ability to coach QB's I'm pretty certain of that.)

Gailey doesn't give up on a game plan but seems to call the plays much better. It seems that if it's not working early he finds ways to make it work by mixing things up to keep the D off balance. I believe that Jauron would have given up on Spiller after his first couple of runs for losses. Gailey found a way to make the D back off the LOS. I think opposing defenses are going to have to pay much closer attention pre-snap than they've had to in a long time with this team.

Making the plays fit the players. Roscoe will have some big plays this year. He's always had the talent to do so but none of the previous coaches saw that. It seems Gailey has a very good understanding of each players strengths and weakness' and designs plays that optimize those strengths for everybody on the field at the time. The plays he uses gives the guys a much better chance of success than anything under Jauron.

I'm very excited for this season. They WILL better last years record! :thumbsup:

and its also preseason, no one is gameplanning against each other.

COaches are not putting anything on tape they dont want the other team to see.

Lets not get over excited bc Chan called some screens on a tough run D. High school coaches do that every friday night.

The proof in the pudding will come when the regular season starts.

Gailey's use of Roscoe is just more proof that there is a lot more talent on this team than people think. Jauron wanted a very vanilla conservative offensive philosophy. Jauron's OCs had no idea how one play set up another play and just called what seemed to be working instead of calling plays in a progression that makes them work. Gailey's three passes in a row to loosen up the running game was a very good play calling series. Schonert and Van Pelt would have done run, run pass, IMO.

It seems the Bungles came out with the idea that they would make TE try to beat them by stuffing the running game. TE is a lot better now than he's ever been in his career and teams are going to have to show some respect for him.

The things Gailey's done to elevate this offense are; (JMO)

Switching to the zone blocking scheme. It seems the guys we have on the offensive line are much better at this than the schemes used last year. TE has actually been given some time to throw. The blocking on the running game, at least early, wasn't very good but it got better and will continue to.

Coaching the QB's. We all know of Gailey's track record. He takes scrubeenie QBs and turns them into solid players. I think TE is one of the most talented QB's he's worked with. TE looks like he could be a top 12 QB this year. (I know it's early but with Chan's ability to call plays and his obvious ability to coach QB's I'm pretty certain of that.)

Gailey doesn't give up on a game plan but seems to call the plays much better. It seems that if it's not working early he finds ways to make it work by mixing things up to keep the D off balance. I believe that Jauron would have given up on Spiller after his first couple of runs for losses. Gailey found a way to make the D back off the LOS. I think opposing defenses are going to have to pay much closer attention pre-snap than they've had to in a long time with this team.

Making the plays fit the players. Roscoe will have some big plays this year. He's always had the talent to do so but none of the previous coaches saw that. It seems Gailey has a very good understanding of each players strengths and weakness' and designs plays that optimize those strengths for everybody on the field at the time. The plays he uses gives the guys a much better chance of success than anything under Jauron.

I'm very excited for this season. They WILL better last years record! :thumbsup:

It's the play calling and offensive design that impress me the most. You can see him using early plays to set up later ones, reacting to the defense intelligently, looking for weak spots. The screen plays, for instance, in reaction to the big rush the Bengals were sending, using Parrish on crossing routes, the three-step drops, etc. I don't know why it couldn't have been done this way last season, and I want to see how it goes when the real bullets are flying, but you have to be encouraged by the rhythm the Bills offense is establishing no matter which of the three QBs is in there.

It's the play calling and offensive design that impress me the most. You can see him using early plays to set up later ones, reacting to the defense intelligently, looking for weak spots. The screen plays, for instance, in reaction to the big rush the Bengals were sending, using Parrish on crossing routes, the three-step drops, etc. I don't know why it couldn't have been done this way last season, and I want to see how it goes when the real bullets are flying, but you have to be encouraged by the rhythm the Bills offense is establishing no matter which of the three QBs is in there.

LOL @ praising the coach for calling a screen to mitigate a heavy pass rush. Dear god, our standards have sunken to new depths of low.

LOL @ praising the coach for calling a screen to mitigate a heavy pass rush. Dear god, our standards have sunken to new depths of low.

It's so sad though that it's true. We have gone years now without doing things on offense that high school coaches in Wellsville do every Friday. It's rather amazing.

I am encouraged by Chans playcalling thus far. I realize its only preseason and no one is game planning for us however, it goes both ways and Chan will also game planning for our opponents. I feel good about his ability to match wits with some of the tough defensive minds we will be facing.......

That's exactly the point. Send your fastest receiver on a shallow crossing pattern--that's an innovation for the Bills. Using one play to set up another. It may be pathetic, but we haven't done it consistently for years.

There is still plenty of things to correct, but you got it. There really isn't a substitute for having a coach on the sideline that actually understands how to conduct an offense.

It's not so much the play calling as it is the plays that are actually disguised. The defense could not distinguish between a run or a pass. The formations being used can do either(run or pass). This is something that was neverdone last year. Defenses simply keyed in because they new what we were going to do because last year we broadcast our intentions. This year that has changed.

It's not so much the play calling as it is the plays that are actually disguised. The defense could not distinguish between a run or a pass. The formations being used can do either(run or pass). This is something that was neverdone last year. Defenses simply keyed in because they new what we were going to do because last year we broadcast our intentions. This year that has changed.

Disagree. Sure the play design is light-years beyond the remedial stuff Jauron ran, but the play calling is better as well. Plays are called to set up future plays and there is an actual progression and plan. It's not just doing the same handful of plays over and over again until the defense perfects crushing them into the dirt.

Edited by Sisyphean Bills

Right on. Pre-season or not, you can see a more evolved approach to running a team. Again, i am talking about adjustments that are made in real-time. It has been a shamefully long time since we have had a staff that can do that.

Lets not get over excited bc Chan called some screens on a tough run D. High school coaches do that every friday night.

Fair enough. Real games will tell the story. I think we might be pleased with the product as time goes on.

This team needs to stay healthy, and if they do I think we can win anywhere from seven to nine games and be competitive every week. Injuries will be a difficult to overcome as we have very little quality depth (except at DB and RB).

Disagree. Sure the play design is light-years beyond the remedial stuff Jauron ran, but the play calling is better as well. Plays are called to set up future plays and there is an actual progression and plan. It's not just doing the same handful of plays over and over again until the defense perfects crushing them into the dirt.

IMO, it's a equal parts combination of about five different things: The play design is significant better. The play calling in both sequence and appropriate time is much better. The playing to a player's individual strengths is much better (see Parrish). Getting the 5 OL that will start all in at the same time has helped tremendously. And adding Spiller to the mix.

IMO, it's a equal parts combination of about five different things: The play design is significant better. The play calling in both sequence and appropriate time is much better. The playing to a player's individual strengths is much better (see Parrish). Getting the 5 OL that will start all in at the same time has helped tremendously. And adding Spiller to the mix.

Agreed. I just don't believe it is simply "being tricky" and fooling people in pre-season scrimmages. It's far more than that, as you said. B-)

On the design part: running slant patterns and crossing patterns underneath the linebackes ... shocking stuff! :devil:

Edited by Sisyphean Bills

You made two more great points.

1. If we can start the top 5 offensive linemen each week we will be so much better off (same for all teams). They may not be great but they will get better as a unit just by playing together. We are already seeing fewer mistakes. Still a long way to go. This is our biggest area of concern on offense. Not Edwards, it is the OL.

2. Spiller. He might become a special player, one that makes others around him better. A small hole and he could turn it into a big gain. He gets outside and in open field and DBs fill their drawers.

When is the last time we even saw a successful screen in a game? Or a successful slant? Or...

Sure, its preseason, but it is already like night and day between Gailey and Jauron's OC stooges (no offensive to AVP).

Did you see that hole on Spiller's 2nd TD...the OL did their job sure, but that's playcalling and formation that creates openings like that.