AFC East Quarterbacks

gobills123

I've read several different articles this offseason about how the AFC east has three proven quarterbacks (Brady, Sanchez, and Henne) and one not so proven. Is it just me or are these people writing these articles insane. Obviously, Tom Brady is proven. But to say chad henne and mark sanchez are proven is just insane. Henne played decent last year, but that means hes now a proven quarterback? And mark sanchez threw TWENTY picks last year. He was very very average last year. They won so many games last year because of their amazing defense and dominant running game. Yes, he did his part in managing games and not losing games, but he certainly did not win many games with his arm at all. I know he played very very well in the postseason (with his arm), but come on now, i think to be called "proven" you have to have at least two or three solid seasons first.

Edited by gobills123

I've read several different articles this offseason about how the AFC east has three proven quarterbacks (Brady, Sanchez, and Henne) and one not so proven. Is it just me or are these people writing these articles insane. Obviously, Tom Brady is proven. But to say chad henne and mark sanchez are proven is just insane. Henne played decent last year, but that means hes now a proven quarterback? And mark sanchez threw TWENTY picks last year. He was very very average last year. They won so many games last year because of their amazing defense and dominant running game. Yes, he did his part in managing games and not losing games, but he certainly did not win many games with his arm at all. I know he played very very well in the postseason (with his arm), but come on now, i think to be called "proven" you have to have at least two or three solid seasons first.

Not so sure that Sanchez isnt a one year wonder

A one-year wonder? That implies he played well last season. 12/20 does not constitute a one-year wonder.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmya i agree. Not a 1 year wonder. To be honest Trent might be better then Dirty Sanchez. I cannot understand how people think he is proven. Did they watch Jersey play ball at all, or just hear they made it to the AFC championship game. The kid wasn't very good. He may have played better in the post season, but what about the 16 games were he was horrible. We will see what this year brings, but honestly Trent looks better then DIRTY. Give the kid a couple seasons to prove himself before calling him proven. Chad also has not proven anything. Tom is the only proven Qb in the AFC east, and probably a top 5 in the entire NFL. To say anything other about then AFC east QB's would crazy!

Sanchez's career will reflect that of that Jaguars QB a few years back, or that QB who is sort of good but not really and not sure if he is still starting anymore guy up in Seattle, or the guy who played for Carolina who is up there in Cleveland but everyone knows that is Jake Delhomme because of the success his team had reaching the Super Bowl. Get my point? Chad Pennington knows what it is like toe be a NYJ QB. He was better than Sanchez and look how long he lasted. Sanchez is a media favorite with a great hype machine behind him at the moment. With Rex Ryan there and that attention it won't be long before he comes back down to earth.

Alas, I completely agree, though. Sanchez and Henne are as questionable as our QB's.

Perhaps. But would you, or would you not, trade him even up for any QB on our roster?

I would.

No and why should we. HE DOESNT IMPRESS!U could say he has potential and the same would be said about Trentative or Brohm. Also I wouldnt want his contract.

Edited by snamsnoops

Maybe by proven, he means has played a full season. TE is not capable of doing that so he is not a proven QB.

I think so.

Not really.

No and why should we. HE DOESNT IMPRESS!U could say he has potential and the same would be said about Trentative or Brohm. Also I wouldnt want his contract.

So, you guys are saying...that if Trent, Brohm or Fitzpatrick were on the Jets last year, they would have done just as good or gone to the Super Bowl?

Haha...Hilarious! :wallbash:

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmya i agree. Not a 1 year wonder. To be honest Trent might be better then Dirty Sanchez. I cannot understand how people think he is proven. Did they watch Jersey play ball at all, or just hear they made it to the AFC championship game. The kid wasn't very good. He may have played better in the post season, but what about the 16 games were he was horrible. We will see what this year brings, but honestly Trent looks better then DIRTY. Give the kid a couple seasons to prove himself before calling him proven. Chad also has not proven anything. Tom is the only proven Qb in the AFC east, and probably a top 5 in the entire NFL. To say anything other about then AFC east QB's would crazy!

Provided he can get me to the playoffs in the 1st place, I would much much MUCH rather have a QB who steps up and plays at a higher level in the post-season than one who is a good regular season QB but under-performs in the biggest of games.

No, I'm not a Sanchez fan, but he was a rookie last year in one of the toughest markets for a QB to succeed... I thought he did pretty well all things considered. I don't remember seeing any bone-headed plays from him in the playoffs like the howler his predecessor Favre had against the Saints. :lol:

Edited by Rico

A one-year wonder? That implies he played well last season. 12/20 does not constitute a one-year wonder.

To his credit, Sanchez did play very well in the playoffs.

Alas, I completely agree, though. Sanchez and Henne are as questionable as our QB's.

Henne does seem to have the poise. He finished with 4 300 yard games at the end of last season. He will probably go on to be a better QB than Sanchez.

Sanchez was a ONE Year Wonder............in College...that got him to drafted 5th overall.

You think throwing 12 TD's to 20 INTs is very average? In my standards, that is downright AWFUL. His last preseason game, he was 5 for 12 for 12 yds or something like that. Those are great numbers.

Edited by DreReed83

You think throwing 12 TD's to 20 INTs is very average? In my standards, that is downright AWFUL. His last preseason game, he was 5 for 12 for 12 yds or something like that. Those are great numbers.

couldnt agree with you more. He is aweful. Pisses me off that some people still think hes good or will be good. (especially my one friend who claims he is a bills fan but yet all he does it stick up for sanchez...what bills fan would stick up for another afc east quarterback) I dont think people realized what his stats were last year. I know stats dont mean anything and its all about the win loss column. But the guy had many aweful games last year but because of their insane defense last year, and there running game, they still managed to win those games.

In the payoffs this 22 yr old one yr wonder in college got to 1/2 away from going to the superbowl. he threw 4 tds and 2 ints and was 41 of 68 pases for 539 yrds and a 92.7 passer rating in 3 playoff games. This kid would be a hero if he was with our team. The kid is a winner and his arm and mobility is twice as good as our boy Trent's. I would take this kid anyday on our team. Played big when it counted even on an injured knee that we caused by the way. I love the Bills and I dislike the Jets but I am enveous of the way they have assmebled top notch talent while we somehow can not. If the hated ryan was our coach we would be looking at going to the palyoffs every year. Now , as we stand I am not sure.

The AFC East has one proven QB and a whole bunch of guys who have shown at various times both promise and severe flaws. They all have much to prove. I think they are pretty much interchangeable at this point, meaning that change out any one for another last year and the fate of each team would have remained the same.

couldnt agree with you more. He is aweful. Pisses me off that some people still think hes good or will be good. (especially my one friend who claims he is a bills fan but yet all he does it stick up for sanchez...what bills fan would stick up for another afc east quarterback) I dont think people realized what his stats were last year. I know stats dont mean anything and its all about the win loss column. But the guy had many aweful games last year but because of their insane defense last year, and there running game, they still managed to win those games.

the Jets defense will go the way of Rex Ryan's Daddy's defense, Buddy Ryan. Other coaches will make adjustments, the defense will be exposed as a very average scheme and one that is not very adjustable. The Jets will be an average team and Ryan will start blaming the players before he takes a DC position with the Raiders in 3 years.

AFC EAST Prediction 2010

1) Patriots 11-5

2) Bills 10-6

3) Jets 6-10

4) Dolphins 6-10

That is my call and I am sticking to it.

I watched a lot of Dirty Sanchez in both college and last year.

Last year he was both VERY good and VERY bad.

The good:

1] He looks like a QB. He does everything well in short spurts, meaning he hands the ball off well, he play fakes well, he runs well, he can throw with touch, he can throw long, he can make plays, he can throw on the run, he can escape the rush, he can improvise.

2] He throws a great long ball already. Very good accuracy and strong arm.

3] He could have a bad game or bad half or bad series but then make one play that wins the game or is a great play that makes up for a lot of the crap. If you look at stats it looks like a bad game, but a lot of times that is what good QBs do.

The bad:

1] His ball handling (as far as protecting it) is atrocious. One of the worst I have seen and he didnt get much better as the games wore on. He fumbled all the time and just gave the ball away way, way too much.

2] Tries to do too much on plays with nothing to get, like throwing really ill-advised passes, or just chucking it anywhere to avoid a sack, or throwing off his back foot. He actually should have had a lot more interceptions, he threw a ton of just horrible passes. But not the Fitzy type, rather the ill-advised type.

Unfortunately, as a Bills fan, I think he is going to be very good. It's possible that he won't improve on the sloppy ball-handling and decision making and he will continue to give the ball and games away. Then he won't make it. But most of that stuff can be corrected, and he does a LOT of stuff good already. Because the Jets have a good team with a great line, decent receivers and what looks like good coaching, he's in a great spot to succeed.

He wasn't very good overall last year but he showed a ton of good things and he's got great potential.

I hate him.

Edited by Kelly the Fair and Balanced Dog