Chan's relationship with Trent

Heitz

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/13815243/bills-camp-report-chan-the-man-that-can-help-qb-edwards-needs

Nice article, I loved this quote from Whitner:

"Because of the coaching staff," said safety Donte Whitner. "I don't mean to knock anybody, but I know with some of the things we did in the past some of the teams would look at us and guys would say, 'We don't understand what you guys are doing.' We sort of had our own ways of doing things, which were unique to the National Football League.

"Guys would say, 'You come out and play hard, but no adjustments? We knew you would do this and do that.' [The difference is] having a coaching staff that knows we have to make adjustments."

Couldn't agree more!!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/13815243/bills-camp-report-chan-the-man-that-can-help-qb-edwards-needs

"Because of the coaching staff," said safety Donte Whitner. "I don't mean to knock anybody, but I know with some of the things we did in the past some of the teams would look at us and guys would say, 'We don't understand what you guys are doing.' We sort of had our own ways of doing things, which were unique to the National Football League.

"Guys would say, 'You come out and play hard, but no adjustments? We knew you would do this and do that.' [The difference is] having a coaching staff that knows we have to make adjustments."

Couldn't agree more!!

Thread title should read "Whitner throws Jauron regime under the bus"

It's true though...

Couldn't agree more!!

:blink:

Mark Sanchez = established NFL quarterback

Pretty accurate. I've always thought that people would be amazed when they realize a lot of the behind the scenes aspects of the Jauron regime. Not too much has come out, but between little things (how the weight room was a spa) and the quotes from the players; it is mind boggling that Jauron lasted as long as he did. I'm not sold on the idea that Gailey will bring the Bills to the Superbowl or even the playoffs. But, I think he is underrated as far the league is concerned. And furthermore, I think he might be just what the doctor ordered for the Bills at this specific moment in the franchise's history. Just like the organization, Gailey has underachieved the past couple years. He is looking for redemption just as much as the organization is. And I think that level of humility will go a long way. It will provide the necessary patience the team needs to find prolonged success. I'm not saying I wouldn't have preferred Shanahan or Cowher (in reality I would have preferred L. Frazier as HC and Gailey as OC); but I don't think the other candidates for the job would have come with the humility needed.

Either way, great article. And good, professional quotes from Donte. I jumped off of the Edwards bandwagon long ago. But, out of the other 3 mediocre QB's that Gailey tutored (as listed in the article), Edwards is by far the most naturally gifted in terms of QB skills. If the O-line can stay healthy and provide minimal protection, I think he will play better than the fans anticipate. Or at least that is the kool aid I'm drinking.

And I would say the AFC East has ONE established QB (Brady). The only thing that Sanchez and Henne have established is that they are the number 1 QBs on their respective teams. Other than that, what have they done?

Edited by Union2008

Mark Sanchez = established NFL quarterback

Totally agree - it's so funny that all of the prognosticators nationwide feel that the Jets are set at the QB position. Sanchez was good at points last year, but also downright terrible at times last year - if you saw the Hard Knocks thread, you know I think he seems pretty immature and unfocused this year. Guess we shall see.

I get that he's young and was a high draft pick, but let's not put him in the "established" column just yet...

That's the best article I've read on the Bills in a long time. Not because it's generally positive in nature but because the guy writing it actually did some research.

We may not make it to the playoffs this year but we will be a better football team and Gailey is going to go down in the books as a GREAT football coach. Mark it down.

Yeah I said it......

All the more reason to believe this team has the talent to legitimately compete -- despite what some of the crusty veterans on this board want to think.

What does "legitimately compete" mean to you? The Bills are in the opinion of almost every NFL analayst in the lower tier in the NFL when it comes to talent. They have been in that rut for a number of years. Being a "crusty veteran" or a "young buck" on this board has little to do with this team's very thin roster.

Chan Gailey is probably a better HC than Jauron. But let's not make him out to be a Lombardi. The Bills are by far the worst team in its own division. An upgrade in the coaching staff is not going to make a difference in where it ranks there.

If you define "legitimately competing" as being a playoff team then you are way off base. If you define your term as being in the playoff hunt (whether you make the playoffs or not)up to near the end of the season, you again are very wrong.

Being an avid fan doesn't mean that you have to lose your ability to exercise reasonable judgment. The Bills are years away from being a serious team. The obvious is usually the obvious.

GREAT READ!

I cannot wait to see what Trent can do under Gailey

I mean... Trent didn't do THAT BAD w/ Jauron...

Trent didn't do that bad? Let's see ... never finished a whole season healthy. More INTs than TDs. Averaged less than 2,000 yards per season. Yeah. He did great. :wallbash:

Trent didn't do that bad? Let's see ... never finished a whole season healthy. More INTs than TDs. Averaged less than 2,000 yards per season. Yeah. He did great. :wallbash:

When he first came in to relieve JP Losman he did alright!

Edited by Rust Belt Brotherhood

The article states that Trent has won the job. Has this been announced?

I haven't given up on the 2010 Bills yet, but if they announce that Trent wins the job, I will have to.

Has anyone heard this? I thought Chan said the competition was still open.

Couldn't agree more!!

Our adjustments at halftime last year left a lot to be desired :wallbash:

That's the best article I've read on the Bills in a long time. Not because it's generally positive in nature but because the guy writing it actually did some research.

We may not make it to the playoffs this year but we will be a better football team and Gailey is going to go down in the books as a GREAT football coach. Mark it down.

Yeah I said it......

Gailey leads team to 9 wins this season, COY should be automatic.

What does "legitimately compete" mean to you? The Bills are in the opinion of almost every NFL analayst in the lower tier in the NFL when it comes to talent. They have been in that rut for a number of years. Being a "crusty veteran" or a "young buck" on this board has little to do with this team's very thin roster.

Chan Gailey is probably a better HC than Jauron. But let's not make him out to be a Lombardi. The Bills are by far the worst team in its own division. An upgrade in the coaching staff is not going to make a difference in where it ranks there.

If you define "legitimately competing" as being a playoff team then you are way off base. If you define your term as being in the playoff hunt (whether you make the playoffs or not)up to near the end of the season, you again are very wrong.

Being an avid fan doesn't mean that you have to lose your ability to exercise reasonable judgment. The Bills are years away from being a serious team. The obvious is usually the obvious.

Despite the disaster of injuries, the continued miserable coaching of DJ, axing the OC and starting LT within 10 days of the season opener, and a midseason coaching change the Bills were within 3 game of the Jets and 1 game of the Dolphins in the standings, hardly "by far" the worst team. Suggesting a better coached team with a number of injured starters returning can't show a significant improvement in the standings is more than a bit pessimistic. I think the continued frustration of mediocrity combined with the utter exasperating and unwatchably boring/painful nature of Bills football over the last ten years has convinced many people that this team is much worse/more talentless than it actually is. I also think that the fact that the Pats* are in our division has led to the national media thinking the AFC East is much tougher than it actually is. While we won't actually know until the regular season starts, I think the Jets and 'Phins, and possibly even the Pats* will turn out to be more preseason hype than reality. The idea that the Jets are SB or bust makes me laugh.

Whitner's comments seem to be in line with what some of the Bills opponents had to say about playing against the Bills, over the last few years. I can't remember who it was, for some reason I think it may have been a Patriot player, who made some very cutting remarks about the Bills after they had kicked the Bills asses. Something like "We always know what they are going to do..."

Thread title should read "Whitner throws Jauron regime under the bus"

It's true though...

Been a Whitner defender and love the Gailet attitude here, but I think it's bush league to do this. Whitner and company used to praise Jauron all the time. All I know is that Whitner needs to play like a pro bowler this year.