Enlightened Wall Members Help Me Out

boyst

Hurricane Katrina was a pretty major thing. It is amazing to watch these National Geographic recaps of the events and see the gravity it had on the lives of so many. Yet, I sit here numb. I do not feel a large emotional response to hearing that so many died. I do not feel bad at all that many were left without houses, had to walk miles in flooded water, or stay in the Super Dome for 3 days. The magnitude of devastation is equal to that of 9/11, in my mind. However, 9/11 was unforseen by the victims while everyone knew Katrina was coming and made their choices, leave or stay. I have sat here for the past 4 days thinking about why I do not give a shiz about New Orleans, specifically. Still, after a lot of thought, I do not know what to make of my beliefs. Should I feel more remorse, emotions, or anything for Katrina? Or are there others out there who simply do not want to hear how the whole area had to over come so much?

On a second take, which I have thought of, as well; the Gulf Oil spill upsets me greatly. It is most unfortunate that our enviroment has to suffer. Yet, when it comes to that area, for the most part I am spent. I am done caring. Part of me also believes that it was the press coverage that sways me to be almost against the entire area. So, again, am I alone? Am I heartless? Boards thoughts?

Also, for the record, I feel even less about Haiti. The victims there were not that of the quake but they were victims of corruption.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The people you speak of were all victims of disasters that were completely out of their control. Anybody with a brain should feel sorrow for them. Things like this could happen to anybody,including yourself. At the very least,they all deserve our prayers. If you can't understand that,I don't know what else can be said.

One needn't be enlightened to feel sympathy for those who have suffered. I am totally befuddled as to your Haiti comment, most of all– because they are victims of a corrupt government, they are less sympathetic? I fail to see the connection between the ethics of an individual's government and the level of sympathy that should be afforded him or her.

How does this affect your level of sympathy for the victims in either country?

The victims? None.But the old "you made the bed now lie in it" does hold. Now please do not think I am implying Haitians in some way deserve what happened. But the fact is they tolerant the massively corrupt government they have- Which added to the tragedy manyfold.

Ahh, I am not trying to come off as a heartless jerk. I do not want anyone to have a bad day, get a splinter, or paper cut, everyone should have happy and safe days. Unfortunately, that's not always the case. I am not looking to start a flame out on myself as some meme just merely ask an educated bunch (ya'll) what it is that makes me see each of these tragedies as completely different. The only thought I had originally was the commercial exploitation of the events. It seems like every channel after 9/11 got their act together to fully draw out every tragedy.

That being said, I never really thought of it as that basic, Jim, about the lay in your own bed. But, it really is. Which makes sense on why I think the first responders in NYC are even more of a blunder. It is their job to rush in to dangerous situations and they get compesated for it. That they are suffering illness now which is possibly linked is frustrating. They did an amazing job and regardless of the elements they were exposed to at ground zero they should be taken care of for serving the public. Which, on a seperate level to begin with I find it to be a win that we care more about the mosque being built near the world trade center than the first responders.

I did not mean to offend anyone but if I did, oh well. I am merely trying to find out how others think of the events and the comparisons. Thanks.

Ahh, I am not trying to come off as a heartless jerk. I do not want anyone to have a bad day, get a splinter, or paper cut, everyone should have happy and safe days. Unfortunately, that's not always the case. I am not looking to start a flame out on myself as some meme just merely ask an educated bunch (ya'll) what it is that makes me see each of these tragedies as completely different. The only thought I had originally was the commercial exploitation of the events. It seems like every channel after 9/11 got their act together to fully draw out every tragedy.

That being said, I never really thought of it as that basic, Jim, about the lay in your own bed. But, it really is. Which makes sense on why I think the first responders in NYC are even more of a blunder. It is their job to rush in to dangerous situations and they get compesated for it. That they are suffering illness now which is possibly linked is frustrating. They did an amazing job and regardless of the elements they were exposed to at ground zero they should be taken care of for serving the public. Which, on a seperate level to begin with I find it to be a win that we care more about the mosque being built near the world trade center than the first responders.

I did not mean to offend anyone but if I did, oh well. I am merely trying to find out how others think of the events and the comparisons. Thanks.

I'm hesitant to post this... but what the hell. The problem I have with the First Responders is.. they had, were given again, were asked to wear and chose not to use the proper respiratory protection. I was on the pile on 9/12 and every day for several months; yet I don't have all the respiratory problems. Why? Because I wore a properly fitted half face respirator. The firefighters, for whatever their reasons, didn't. (Which makes no sense when you think about it - afterall, they're trained from day one to use respirators when they go into a firey mess.) 1,000's of respirators were onsite within a day for any individual that didn't have one or needed a replacement. Stations were set up within 3 days to properly fit test for respirators, so you had the proper size.

Granted, for the first day and a half, the replacement respirators weren't on site. However, I'm fairly certain all firefighteres have full face respirators as part of their gear. Again, for whatever their reasons, the vast majority of the first responders chose not to wear respirators not only for that day, but for the months to follow.

So, talk about making your own bed?

With all that being said, I have no problem with some assistance to help them with medical bills. I have true empathy for what many witnessed and experienced. However, the vast majority were warned as ealy as 9/12 to protect themselves from the smoke and dust and they made a choice. No one talks about it, because it's crude and uncaring and we don't want to dishonor the victims and all. But, it 's just as true as people in NO being warned about Katrina and then chosing to stay.

Hurricane Katrina was a pretty major thing. It is amazing to watch these National Geographic recaps of the events and see the gravity it had on the lives of so many. Yet, I sit here numb. I do not feel a large emotional response to hearing that so many died. I do not feel bad at all that many were left without houses, had to walk miles in flooded water, or stay in the Super Dome for 3 days. The magnitude of devastation is equal to that of 9/11, in my mind. However, 9/11 was unforseen by the victims while everyone knew Katrina was coming and made their choices, leave or stay. I have sat here for the past 4 days thinking about why I do not give a shiz about New Orleans, specifically. Still, after a lot of thought, I do not know what to make of my beliefs. Should I feel more remorse, emotions, or anything for Katrina? Or are there others out there who simply do not want to hear how the whole area had to over come so much?

On a second take, which I have thought of, as well; the Gulf Oil spill upsets me greatly. It is most unfortunate that our enviroment has to suffer. Yet, when it comes to that area, for the most part I am spent. I am done caring. Part of me also believes that it was the press coverage that sways me to be almost against the entire area. So, again, am I alone? Am I heartless? Boards thoughts?

Also, for the record, I feel even less about Haiti. The victims there were not that of the quake but they were victims of corruption.

I think you are a horrible human being, but don't take my word for it, check with Ed to be sure.

Thankfully, most people aren't like you. In your hour of need, people may turn their backs on you but some will help, even though you wouldn't. Those people--the helpers--are better than you.

And where did he say that he didn't help people? You make quite the judgment based on this little sliver of his life, and then you ride into this thread on your high horse? Awesome. :thumbdown:

J, people respond differently to different things. Not everyone feels empathy for victims of natural disasters, but those same people might feel awfully when they read about someone's child being kidnapped in the newspaper. It doesn't mean that you're an awful person. You might not be the typical human being, but who wants to be typical anyway? :D

And where did he say that he didn't help people? You make quite the judgment based on this little sliver of his life, and then you ride into this thread on your high horse? Awesome. :thumbdown:

You're right. Perhaps when he said "I do not give a shiz" and "I don't care" about the victims, he was saying it from the perspective of someone who is always there for victims. My apologies.

Edited by Peace

I'm hesitant to post this... but what the hell. The problem I have with the First Responders is.. they had, were given again, were asked to wear and chose not to use the proper respiratory protection. I was on the pile on 9/12 and every day for several months; yet I don't have all the respiratory problems. Why? Because I wore a properly fitted half face respirator. The firefighters, for whatever their reasons, didn't. (Which makes no sense when you think about it - afterall, they're trained from day one to use respirators when they go into a firey mess.) 1,000's of respirators were onsite within a day for any individual that didn't have one or needed a replacement. Stations were set up within 3 days to properly fit test for respirators, so you had the proper size.

Granted, for the first day and a half, the replacement respirators weren't on site. However, I'm fairly certain all firefighteres have full face respirators as part of their gear. Again, for whatever their reasons, the vast majority of the first responders chose not to wear respirators not only for that day, but for the months to follow.

So, talk about making your own bed?

With all that being said, I have no problem with some assistance to help them with medical bills. I have true empathy for what many witnessed and experienced. However, the vast majority were warned as ealy as 9/12 to protect themselves from the smoke and dust and they made a choice. No one talks about it, because it's crude and uncaring and we don't want to dishonor the victims and all. But, it 's just as true as people in NO being warned about Katrina and then chosing to stay.

Very good points! How many now will fess up to making that blunder? If I drown in an area at work where I am supposed to be wearing a PFD, that is letting my family and survivors down. These first responders not wearing what they were told to wear also let their families and loved ones down. It isn't about being "macho heros." If you want to be a hero, just be the smart hero.

I think that exhaustive media coverage of everything (big and small) has numbed many people's emotions to what others have experienced.

It can become difficult to absorb it all.

Turn off your television or PC. Step away from the media machines.

Take a walk, and do someone who needs help a favor.

You will feel better. :)

I think that exhaustive media coverage of everything (big and small) has numbed many people's emotions to what others have experienced.

It can become difficult to absorb it all.

Turn off your television or PC. Step away from the media machines.

Take a walk, and do someone who needs help a favor.

You will feel better. :)

...watch a Bills game. Oh wait you said he'll feel better....never mind.

The people you speak of were all victims of disasters that were completely out of their control. Anybody with a brain should feel sorrow for them. Things like this could happen to anybody,including yourself. At the very least,they all deserve our prayers. If you can't understand that,I don't know what else can be said.

I could not agree more. Many of the people impacted were very poor and without means to help themselves before, during or after these events. I am not intending to start a debate on poverty assistance but when people on the edge are struck by events that they can't control I believe it is only proper that thise who can offer assistance should do so.

Have you met any of the people directly? If you do you'll realize that you just as easily could have been in their shoes.

I could not agree more. Many of the people impacted were very poor and without means to help themselves before, during or after these events. I am not intending to start a debate on poverty assistance but when people on the edge are struck by events that they can't control I believe it is only proper that thise who can offer assistance should do so.

Have you met any of the people directly? If you do you'll realize that you just as easily could have been in their shoes.

And yet, to play devil's advocate, these people were forewarned to evacuate and offered assistance to do so, yet did not.

So just how much pity should one have for someone in that situation?