QB rotation for Bengals game

I was really impressed with Brohm when he played against the Colts. Of the three fighting for the starters job, I think Brohm looked like the most promising. He looked like he could offer the Bills the most, looked faster by a long ways than Edwards in his drop from the center, and the way he passes the ball, he makes all the throws with zip on the ball and they look effortless. I'd say he just needs to prove a mental grasp of the offense, of reading the defense, and an ability to be accurate, and there will be nothing keeping him out of the starters spot.

Edwards didn't look bad. He had the nice long pass and some other completions. I can't say he was bad, I just can't watch him yet and not think, "when is he going to have a brain fart and collapse on us like last year." If that doesn't happen, then he could be good for us.

Fitz didn't look as good to me in his time as Edwards and Brohm did this past week. I'd guess Gailey will want to see Brohm play more with the first team offense against first team defenses, and see Edwards more, too. If he's going to give Fitz any more time it will probably come more in the fourth preseason game.

So, I'm guessing Brohm gets his shot next week with the ones - maybe Edwards doesn't play the full half as starters usually do in the third preseason game.

I was really impressed with Brohm when he played against the Colts. Of the three fighting for the starters job, I think Brohm looked like the most promising. He looked like he could offer the Bills the most, looked faster by a long ways than Edwards in his drop from the center, and the way he passes the ball, he makes all the throws with zip on the ball and they look effortless. I'd say he just needs to prove a mental grasp of the offense, of reading the defense, and an ability to be accurate, and there will be nothing keeping him out of the starters spot.

Edwards didn't look bad. He had the nice long pass and some other completions. I can't say he was bad, I just can't watch him yet and not think, "when is he going to have a brain fart and collapse on us like last year." If that doesn't happen, then he could be good for us.

Fitz didn't look as good to me in his time as Edwards and Brohm did this past week. I'd guess Gailey will want to see Brohm play more with the first team offense against first team defenses, and see Edwards more, too. If he's going to give Fitz any more time it will probably come more in the fourth preseason game.

So, I'm guessing Brohm gets his shot next week with the ones - maybe Edwards doesn't play the full half as starters usually do in the third preseason game.

I WISH Brohm could start w/ the ones this week but that won't happen

Edwards - Fitz/Brohm - Brown

If Edwards plays like he did the last game, I wouldn't mind not pushing for brohm, since I would want edwards to get more used to the system if he indeed is going to be the starter....but, we all know edwards is inconsistant. I am sure we will see a few games where he plays pretty well. But even more games when he just sucks. Our offensive gameplan is probably going to be to run the hell out of the ball.

I would love to see Brohm with the ones. I like Edwards and think he is the right choice right now for starter, but the Colts game can be quite deceiving. The scoring drives were big play drives, we have yet to see a sustained scoring drive from the ones.

I think the plan will be like week one with the exception that Edwards plays longer.

The third preseason game most starters play into the third quarter. That is how it has been in the past.

I think that was Gailey's plan all along. He wanted Fitz to play the first and third game. That way Brohm would get more playing time in the fourth game. Fitz won't get that many snaps next game and then Brohm will get at least half a game in the 4th preseason game to show him what he has.

I also think Gailey didn't want Brohm to play in the first game against Washington because they have a good defense and he wanted to give him an extra week of work. He thought Brohm would get his confidence higher playing against Indy's defense.

I think the next game will be the last game you will see Fitz in a Bill's uniform. He will get cut or traded in the next couple of weeks. The only way he will stay is if the Bills put Brown on the practice squad. I don't think the Bills are willing to take that chance so he is most likely Gonzo.

Edited by peteski

I'd like to see Brohm go up against Cincy's defensive starters. That's the true test. Flip the Brohm/Edwards order around and see if Brohm can get anything going against a fairly talented defense that shut down the Eagles last week.

Guest dog14787

I think the plan will be like week one with the exception that Edwards plays longer.

The third preseason game most starters play into the third quarter. That is how it has been in the past.

I think that was Gailey's plan all along. He wanted Fitz to play the first and third game. That way Brohm would get more playing time in the fourth game. Fitz won't get that many snaps next game and then Brohm will get at least half a game in the 4th preseason game to show him what he has.

I also think Gailey didn't want Brohm to play in the first game against Washington because they have a good defense and he wanted to give him an extra week of work. He thought Brohm would get his confidence higher playing against Indy's defense.

I think the next game will be the last game you will see Fitz in a Bill's uniform. He will get cut or traded in the next couple of weeks. The only way he will stay is if the Bills put Brown on the practice squad. I don't think the Bills are willing to take that chance so he is most likely Gonzo.

Fitzpatrick is not going anywhere in my opinion and Brown will get put on practice squad which was probably the plan all along.

I'd like to see Brohm go up against Cincy's defensive starters. That's the true test. Flip the Brohm/Edwards order around and see if Brohm can get anything going against a fairly talented defense that shut down the Eagles last week.

I second your thoughts. I too would love to see Brohm be given the chance to excel. If he fails, then everyone will accept the result we won't be pulling for Marangi.

I would love to see Brohm with the ones. I like Edwards and think he is the right choice right now for starter, but the Colts game can be quite deceiving. The scoring drives were big play drives, we have yet to see a sustained scoring drive from the ones.

There were 2 scoring drives in the first quarter. How sustained do you need it to be?

I don't get why everyones scared of putting brown on the PS. There will be 5-10 qbs released in the coming weeks with as much or more ability today, and others with as much long term potential.

Realistically our starter could be released and he would latch on as another teams 3, or maybe not at all... What makes everyone think people will be clamouring for our 4th.

We are debating brohm as a starter, and I didn't see anyone race to steal him from GB.

There were 2 scoring drives in the first quarter. How sustained do you need it to be?

Honestly, I hate when we just take what they give us, instead of forcing the underneath stuff... You know, just to prove we can.

(sarcasm)

Honestly, I hate when we just take what they give us, instead of forcing the underneath stuff... You know, just to prove we can.

(sarcasm)

That's fantastic. A team that relies on a big play to score won't go far. Eventually the big play isn't there. At some point you have to be able to actually drive down the field.

Agreed. I watched 06, just like the rest of us. I just think it's funny that after watching everyone complain jp was only good for the big play and Trent could sustain drives, now Trent can only lead with big plays and brohm can sustain drives. And yes I know the majority don't believe it, but the posts this week have made me chuckle a few times.

I suspect Fred and marshawn should help with sustaining drives in all seriousness though.

We always have such good backup qbs, and awful starters haha

Agreed. I watched 06, just like the rest of us. I just think it's funny that after watching everyone complain jp was only good for the big play and Trent could sustain drives, now Trent can only lead with big plays and brohm can sustain drives. And yes I know the majority don't believe it, but the posts this week have made me chuckle a few times.

I suspect Fred and marshawn should help with sustaining drives in all seriousness though.

We always have such good backup qbs, and awful starters haha

Ahhh... to see Brohm against the Bengals starters - who handled McNabb's replacement, and who the Bills would've traded away a second rounder for, would be a good measuring stick for him. If he could do well in that scenario, where their Defense would be a lot like a meaningful NFL game - and a good team defense at that - then we could say that he might be just as capable of being a good QB in the NFL as the Eagles Kolb, and everyone is already saying that the Eagles are a playoff team. I guess you could say the same of Trent Edwards. The thing is, if Edwards stinks against the Bengals, what chance then do we have of seeing Brohm against meaningful adversaries? I guess we just have to trust the coaching staff to know better than we do who will be the best option for the Bills this year... but, if I had a say I'd like to see more of Brohm. I like his arm, and I like his attitude a lot better than Edwards. He's just not believable in the role of a leader, of a tough guy. He comes across to me as a wuss.

I honestly wish Gailey would start Brohm...so you guys would see what I see. That although Brohm started out strong he faded the more he played, and I don't see him as ready just yet. He would have more trouble IMO because he would be facing first string players and not backups that won't even make the final roster. "If" he did play great his entire time behind center then let him start again.

I don't get why everyones scared of putting brown on the PS. There will be 5-10 qbs released in the coming weeks with as much or more ability today, and others with as much long term potential.

Realistically our starter could be released and he would latch on as another teams 3, or maybe not at all... What makes everyone think people will be clamouring for our 4th.

We are debating brohm as a starter, and I didn't see anyone race to steal him from GB.

Come on now, did you really expect Brohm to replace Aaron Rodgers? And, we did steal him off the practice squad....Green Bay matched the Bills offer, but Brohm came because he tought he would get a better shot at the #1 job here. After Trent crashes and burns (again), he will get that shot! Finally, the big arm that Brohm has is the #1 requirement of a great NFL quarterback....Trent's arm is below average!!!

Yes, complaining about big plays seems rather ridiculous.

Nobody was complaining about them. They are great, exciting, they do help drives. My original point was that we have not seen our starting offense, again I will use the word, sustain a scoring drive. Those were big plays that were TD's. Had they happened on the other end of the field, not ending in a score, would the offense still be able to put it in the end zone? I'm not complaining about the big play. Come on guys, can't you find anything better to do that nit pick and twist what is said to support your own convoluted ideas of cynicism?

Come on now, did you really expect Brohm to replace Aaron Rodgers? And, we did steal him off the practice squad....Green Bay matched the Bills offer, but Brohm came because he tought he would get a better shot at the #1 job here. After Trent crashes and burns (again), he will get that shot! Finally, the big arm that Brohm has is the #1 requirement of a great NFL quarterback....Trent's arm is below average!!!

No, the point I was making is (and I know it's greatly oversimplified) is that whoever does start would likely be borderline to make your average team this year. Our 4th qb is not likely to be a hot commodity. If trolling for cuts I'd look for whoever gets cut in New Orleans (Daniel or Canfield?), Carolina (Cantwell?), Miami (thigpen?) or the jets (Clemens?) to be higher priority then brown and those are just the two divisions I watch on a weekly basis as a natural born bills fan relocated to and owning season tix in new Orleans.

Brown could be special but nearly every team has a guy the fans think could be special. Most teams stick with there own since they are all relatively the same and atleast your guy knows the system in case, god forbid, that guy has to play.

And yes, as much as I hope he does well, he sat on that PS for what, a year and a half without an offer? He was what, a second round pick?Teams tend not to raid those squads for a qb unless something huge happens.

Outside of that pickup, can anyone cite more then a very small handful of qbs making that jump to a different team on the PS?

Edited by NoSaint

I suspect we'll see Trent for the entire first half and a drive or 2 in the second half. Then Fitz comes in for a few drives. Then if there's still time Brohm will come in. This competition has been fun, but now we have to get ready for the season. Trent was like the Champ. You gotta knock out the champ and I'm not sure anyone did. A case could be made for any of them.

I think we'll keep all 3 and put Brown on the PS. I don't see anyone picking him up, and even if they do, it's really not that big of a deal. Spread QBs who threw for a ton of yards and TDs in college are a dime a dozen these days.

Maybe I'll be all wrong and Coach Gaily will announce tomorrow that Fitz won the competition and start him Saturday. He did have the most productive first game of anyone. He was the only one of the three to get his team down in the red zone and actually get a TD out of it. A TD pass at that.

Edited by reddogblitz

Here's my take:

Edwards has the Ones sewn up. He will start and be given enery opportunity to succeed. He has been acceptable in preseason, which is all you can hope for.

Fitzpatrick. I think he gets dropped. He has little upside over Edwards, has done little to unseat him and is entrenched in a battle for the Twos with a younger guy.

Brohm isn't starter material now, and the coaches don't think so either, or he would have been in with the Ones at some point. He needs time to learn the system and has more upside than Fitz. He's our number 2.

Brown won't be put on the PS. It's a waste of a place when he can learn the ropes on the roster as the 3rd QB. He won't play this year and has a shot to become the guy if he can show any kind of ability in the practise setting in the coming 2 years.

No they didn't. They offered to activate him to the reguular squad for the rest of the season for league minimum. Buffalo gave him a 2 year deal and a 50K signing bonus. As a PS guy any team can offer him anything, just like an unrestricted FA. he can accept or not. he chose Buffalo because he thought he might have a better chance of starting/playing. But when you suck, you are going to suck even on a bad team. Brohm also has a very weak arm, and is no where near the strength of Edwards.

Edited by VABills

No they didn't. They offered to activate him to the reguular squad for the rest of the season for league minimum. Buffalo gave him a 2 year deal and a 50K signing bonus. As a PS guy any team can offer him anything, just like an unrestricted FA. he can accept or not. he chose Buffalo because he thought he might have a better chance of starting/playing. But when you suck, you are going to suck even on a bad team. Brohm also has a very weak arm, and is no where near the strength of Edwards.

No he doesn't! The wisdom on Brohm is that he has a big arm, but needs work on other parts of his game...

No he doesn't! The wisdom on Brohm is that he has a big arm, but needs work on other parts of his game...

Wrong. The knock on brohm has always been a weak arm. Only since then we found out he is wmentally weak and has accuracy issues.

I just went back and read 5-6 scouting reports. The most glowing endorsement "good, not great, arm." his accuracy was a strength, and has been called into question specifically now. He has potential but I'm not banking on it.

I just went back and read 5-6 scouting reports. The most glowing endorsement "good, not great, arm." his accuracy was a strength, and has been called into question specifically now. He has potential but I'm not banking on it.

Check out the scouting report on Drew Brees. See how accurate they were on him.