Ryan vs. Dungy

sharper802

Ryan- loud mouthed and obnoxious. Perfect coach for Jet fans, especially those living here in So. Florida.

Dungy- classy, reserved, faithful, and respected as person. Proved nice guys don't always finish last.

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/news/story?id=5473744

I mostly can't stand Rex Ryan but learning that he basically told Dungy to go screw himself is a wonderful thing.

Based on that clip, Ryan did about the furthest thing from telling Dungy to go screw himself. Did you watch the segment?

Well...if Rex Ryan delivers on his bluster this year, I will have a lot more respect for him. He basically, went to a bad football team, insisted that they were good, and would win, and with the help of his front office, has gotten them over the hump, to a degree. If the Jets flame out this year, or don't meet expectations, Ryan's bluster will seem foolish.

As for Dungy, personally, I am almost as tired of his routine as I am Ryans. I realize he suffered a great personal loss, but, suddenly, that makes him the authority on how people should act, and how people should conduct themselves? I think he should keep his mouth shut, most of the time. He comes off as a pompous, pious clown, in my opinion. I realize, the business of commentary and analysis that he is in, makes it necessary to comment on the current issues. But, if he was the classy guy he was purported to be, he wouldn't be in that business.

Well...if Rex Ryan delivers on his bluster this year, I will have a lot more respect for him. He basically, went to a bad football team, insisted that they were good, and would win, and with the help of his front office, has gotten them over the hump, to a degree. If the Jets flame out this year, or don't meet expectations, Ryan's bluster will seem foolish.

As for Dungy, personally, I am almost as tired of his routine as I am Ryans. I realize he suffered a great personal loss, but, suddenly, that makes him the authority on how people should act, and how people should conduct themselves? I think he should keep his mouth shut, most of the time. He comes off as a pompous, pious clown, in my opinion. I realize, the business of commentary and analysis that he is in, makes it necessary to comment on the current issues. But, if he was the classy guy he was purported to be, he wouldn't be in that business.

I don't think Dungy's loss has anything to do with making him the authority on how people act. The way he has always acted (and his success) helps to give him that authority. I can't imagine ass clowns like Ditka or Bobby Knight trying to dole out lessons on class.

While I like Dungy and detest Ryan, I feel Dungy pulled a "Bill Cosby" on this one. It isn't necessary for him to comment on every possible breach by a player or a coach. Better to let the guy make an ass out of himself and say nothing, in this case. IMO of course.

Agree with the bold. Dungy is a POS who should mind his own business.

I don't think Dungy's loss has anything to do with making him the authority on how people act. The way he has always acted (and his success) helps to give him that authority. I can't imagine ass clowns like Ditka or Bobby Knight trying to dole out lessons on class.

While I like Dungy and detest Ryan, I feel Dungy pulled a "Bill Cosby" on this one. It isn't necessary for him to comment on every possible breach by a player or a coach. Better to let the guy make an ass out of himself and say nothing, in this case. IMO of course.

Yes, I know what you mean. I can't stand boorish guys like Bobby Knight, and I never had any problems with Tony Dungy, as a coach, overrated as I think he is. I just think the fact that he has taken on an almost preacher/philosopher status in the sports world, is kind of a joke. I cringe when I listen to sports talk radio, and they run those "championship dad" spots that he does. Does anyone remember that he had a young son who committed suicide? What has made him a "championship dad"? Sorry, I realize that may be a little crass, but, the fact that he doesn't swear, and comes off like a very decent man, doesn't really tell the whole story. And, because of the delicate situation with his family, sports media, lightweight as it is, would never dare question his stance.

Like I said, I think Tony Dungy is probably a fine human being, but taking other NFL coaches to task, for something as silly as swearing, is pretty ridiculous. As I mentioned in my first post on this subject, he is expected to comment on the things that people are talking about, in sports, as part of his job. If he was sincere, I don't think he would be taking money to do that. I think he loses credibility, given his pious stance on most issues.

To say he wouldn't have someone like Rex Ryan on his staff, because he swears, is really shallow. Good thing for him, Bill Polian didn't make the judgment that he wouldn't hire a coach who couldn't swear like him. Polian, by all accounts, could swear with the best of them. Marv Levy could curse up a storm, but everyone generally thinks of him as classy. Don't know for sure, but I can't imagine Dick Jauron uttering a blue word... I don't think the language that they use to get their job done means anything.

Well said. Though perhaps you should watch your language. Sorry, just kidding. I agree with your post.

Like I said, I think Tony Dungy is probably a fine human being, but taking other NFL coaches to task, for something as silly as swearing, is pretty ridiculous.

I don't think he's being criticized for swearing. He's being criticized for accepting a TV show to film everything that goes on, inviting a national audience to watch (see link) and THEN swearing.

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2010/03/r...ional_audi.html

Nobody cares if he swears in front of the team in the locker room. He invited the audience, and there's likely to be kids watching. If it were an R-rated deal, nobody would care. Just my opinion.

Great post.

Dungy needs to just STFU. Here is one of the most overrated coaches in modern NFL history incessantly doling out his tired personal opinions on the thoughts and behaviors of others. If he can't think of anything intelligent to say about the topic of football, he should simply respond to such questions on the morality of others with a "that's none of my business".

I realize he suffered a great personal loss, but, suddenly, that makes him the authority on how people should act, and how people should conduct themselves? I think he should keep his mouth shut, most of the time. He comes off as a pompous, pious clown, in my opinion. I realize, the business of commentary and analysis that he is in, makes it necessary to comment on the current issues. But, if he was the classy guy he was purported to be, he wouldn't be in that business.

I don't think Dungy is totally off base here though, in the simplest part of things, he is basically saying if we have a player conduct code, why isn't the same thing enforced for the coaches? I swear like a sailor, however i'm in agreement, how can the NFL portray themselves as family entertainment when a coach goes on TV and every other word is a curse word?

The league should hold the coaches to the same conduct policy the players adhere to.

sanc·ti·mo·ni·ous/ˌsaNG(k)təˈmōnēəs/

Adjective: Making a show of being morally superior to other people.

Thank you. So Tony Dungy has no problem being associated with and mentoring a complete degenerate like Mike Vick after he basically admitted to torturing animals, but he's appalled with a successful football coach using bad language in front of grown men? Dungy's act is tired.

Maybe it's because I never went to finishing school like some of you puffs, but Ryan's language doesn't bother me one bit. Maybe because I've actually been in football locker rooms and heard how the players and coaches talk. Dungy's hypocrisy is the off-putting part of this story, not Ryan's F-bombs.

Ryan has placed a huge target on the team. Not on himself (course he could lose his job if they flame out [God willing]) but on the team. Sanchez has the biggest target so that line better be very, very good.

I don't care for his schtick, but I can see why the team and fans are rallying around him.

Thank you. So Tony Dungy has no problem being associated with and mentoring a complete degenerate like Mike Vick after he basically admitted to torturing animals, but he's appalled with a successful football coach using bad language in front of grown men? Dungy's act is tired.

Maybe it's because I never went to finishing school like some of you puffs, but Ryan's language doesn't bother me one bit. Maybe because I've actually been in football locker rooms and heard how the players and coaches talk. Dungy's hypocrisy is the off-putting part of this story, not Ryan's F-bombs.

Again, the problem isn't swearing in the locker room among the players. It's inviting cameras into the locker room, so children can see, and then continuing to swear.

When has Dungy sworn on TV. He never has.

And trying to mentor a guy like Vick who admits he has done wrong and is trying to do better isn't saying that his crime is OK. Dungy isn't saying dog torturing is OK. He's saying that people can change, and that he hopes Vick has changed and made himself a better person.

There is not one slight, tiny bit of hypocrisy in what Dungy did. You can accuse him of sanctimoniousness, as others have, but again, swearing where kids can be expected to see it is pretty rude.

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/news/story?id=5473744

I mostly can't stand Rex Ryan but learning that he basically told Dungy to go screw himself is a wonderful thing.

Well considering you're the scumbag who made the awful comment about Dungy's son, I'm not surprised you'd like what Ryan said. I'm more surprised that you weren't permanently banned for that.

I don't think he's being criticized for swearing. He's being criticized for accepting a TV show to film everything that goes on, inviting a national audience to watch (see link) and THEN swearing.

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2010/03/r...ional_audi.html

Nobody cares if he swears in front of the team in the locker room. He invited the audience, and there's likely to be kids watching. If it were an R-rated deal, nobody would care. Just my opinion.

That is an excellent point.

I'm sure Dungy would mentor Ryan too, if asked. Dungy was very critical of Vick's dog operation. He offered him the chance to repent/change/etc.

I don't think this has anything to do with your not going to high school. I don't think Ryan's swearing bothers those of us with higher educations.

In this case, I kind of agree with San Jose, when he called Dungy "sanctimonious". That's pretty much the same thing I meant when I said he pulled a "Bill Cosby". Dungy may be right here, but sometimes it doesn't pay to be right.

That is an excellent point.

I'm sure Dungy would mentor Ryan too, if asked. Dungy was very critical of Vick's dog operation. He offered him the chance to repent/change/etc.

I don't think this has anything to do with your not going to high school. I don't think Ryan's swearing bothers those of us with higher educations.

In this case, I kind of agree with San Jose, when he called Dungy "sanctimonious". That's pretty much the same thing I meant when I said he pulled a "Bill Cosby". Dungy may be right here, but sometimes it doesn't pay to be right.

1. Come on Dean. I said finishing school, not high school. You know, "finishing school"? As in:

finishing school 

–noun

"a private school, usually at the high-school or junior-college level, that teaches young women social graces and prepares them for life in society."

There are far worse things for kids to do and/or hear than a football coach saying !@#$. I understand the love affair some of you have with Dungy - he accomplished much as a coach, in his prude, boring sort of way. But that sort of judgment about a guy after watching an hour of an edited-together show on pay cable that airs at 10:00 at night just smacks of sanctimony.

He should stick to Vick - apparently his "mentoring" hasn't done much with all the shootouts going on at his birthday party still.

Oh and for the record, I did complete high school. And college. And graduate school. And I still don't think saying !@#$ and **** is a big deal.