2010 Draft Revisited

DC Grid

I'm usually a little more patient, but after watching the Bills game as well as other highlights, I couldn't help myself. Taking Troup, a guy who doesn't start, instead of Clausen, a guy who could start for us this year was a big blunder. And this is not a hindsight or BS revisionist take on the draft. I like many other Bills fan around the country was screaming at the tv during the draft when the Bills drafted Troup (a guy not projected to go in the top 3 rounds) over JC.

I understand this team has a ton of holes (arguably even more before the 2010 draft) and that next year is supposed to be an even better year for QBs (2010 was given such a label too at this time last year) but grabbing Clausen at worse gives you a decent QB who could develop into something special, but at the least provides stop gap play at Qb in 2010 and is a good backup after you draft a QB high in 2011.

For the Bills sake I'm hoping that Clausen as a falling QB that so many teams passed on, follows Brady Quinn's career trajectory, and not that of Aaron Rogers who a lot of teams also passed on and who had similar reviews out of college.

I'm usually a little more patient, but after watching the Bills game as well as other highlights, I couldn't help myself. Taking Troup, a guy who doesn't start, instead of Clausen, a guy who could start for us this year was a big blunder. And this is not a hindsight or BS revisionist take on the draft. I like many other Bills fan around the country was screaming at the tv during the draft when the Bills drafted Troup (a guy not projected to go in the top 3 rounds) over JC.

I understand this team has a ton of holes (arguably even more before the 2010 draft) and that next year is supposed to be an even better year for QBs (2010 was given such a label too at this time last year) but grabbing Clausen at worse gives you a decent QB who could develop into something special, but at the least provides stop gap play at Qb in 2010 and is a good backup after you draft a QB high in 2011.

For the Bills sake I'm hoping that Clausen as a falling QB that so many teams passed on, follows Brady Quinn's career trajectory, and not that of Aaron Rogers who a lot of teams also passed on and who had similar reviews out of college.

DC, I almost broke my TV when they selected Troup. The Clausen pick at 41 was a no brainer and it is becoming more and more evident with time. CLausen looked more seasoned and more confident then Trent. Fitz just plain sucked too. Brohm must really be bad... Well we can B word and moan all we want and its not going to change anything. This topic has been beaten to death. Too early to proclaim Clausen a successful NFL QB. Not too early to say Trent/Fitz aren't NFLl QB's. That is the real question.

Before we do this, maybe we should wait until Brohm gets a chance to play. Not saying he will be great, but what I am saying is we dont know yet, so lets give him a shot out there before we start this stuff.

I liked the Troup selection. But then I see where he is only going to be a back-up, well it doesn't make sense then when you could have a new QB over our current group of losers. But this is right

Too early to proclaim Clausen a successful NFL QB. Not too early to say Trent/Fitz aren't NFLl QB's.

:P:beer:

Carolina drafted Clausen....and Tony Pike, before Nix finally drafted Levi in the 7th round.

This season reminds me so much of the 2001 season under Donahoe and Williams in their first year. They had the excuse of being hand-cuffed by the salary cap mess left over from big John Butler...(God rest his soul). Nix and Gailey seem to be using the excuse that it has to take multiple drafts to become good. In both cases, lousy QB's, young players and rookies were then and are now being over-used, and it appears that 2010 might just end up as bad as 3-13-0 2001 was. Especially if this injury bug continues to eat away at the Buffalo Bills as it has the past two seasons.

There is a reason Claussen lasted until the 41 pick. Buddy Nix does not tell you how to do your job. Perhaps you should extend the same courtesy. Give me Troup over Claussen any day of the week and twice on Sunday. Here is a concept- lets let Troup actually play before labeling him a misfire

What qualifies as a little more patient? Second preseason game?

Troup wil be starting long before Clausen will be in the NFL. Williams is too small to play NT. Troup will be the NT in situations more likely to be a running play and Williams may be more of the penetrating NT for more obvious passing downs.

:D:wallbash:

Carolina drafted Clausen....and Tony Pike, before Nix finally drafted Levi in the 7th round.

This season reminds me so much of the 2001 season under Donahoe and Williams in their first year. They had the excuse of being hand-cuffed by the salary cap mess left over from big John Butler...(God rest his soul). Nix and Gailey seem to be using the excuse that it has to take multiple drafts to become good. In both cases, lousy QB's, young players and rookies were then and are now being over-used, and it appears that 2010 might just end up as bad as 3-13-0 2001 was. Especially if this injury bug continues to eat away at the Buffalo Bills as it has the past two seasons.

Its amazing what can happen when you proactively try to fix a problem. The problem with the Bills is two fold however. 1 - they dont proactively try to fix a problem, 2 - they cant fix a problem when they do try!

Before we do this, maybe we should wait until Brohm gets a chance to play. Not saying he will be great, but what I am saying is we dont know yet, so lets give him a shot out there before we start this stuff.

Brohm didn't play by design, hes second on Thursday. Of course IMHO, they should put him out there with the starters and see what he's got. We already know what Treint doesn't have.

so your thinking is they should have spent a high 2nd round pick on a QB to play this year as a stop gap on a team that isnt making the playoffs either way then use him as a backup to the QB of the future they spend a high first round pick on next year...am i understanding this right?

that is some of the dumbest logic ive ever heard....you dont spend a high second round pick on a QB you dont think is a franchise QB which they obviously didnt think he was...WHY IS THIS SO HARD FOR PEOPLE TO UNDERSTAND

and how many rookie QBs actually play well? what would be the point of drafting Clausen to play this year on a bad team that isnt going anywhere then drafting another young QB to play next year? what the hell would that accomplish?

so your thinking is they should have spent a high 2nd round pick on a QB to play this year as a stop gap on a team that isnt making the playoffs either way then use him as a backup to the QB of the future they spend a high first round pick on next year...am i understanding this right?

that is some of the dumbest logic ive ever heard....you dont spend a high second round pick on a QB you dont think is a franchise QB which they obviously didnt think he was...WHY IS THIS SO HARD FOR PEOPLE TO UNDERSTAND

and how many rookie QBs actually play well? what would be the point of drafting Clausen to play this year on a bad team that isnt going anywhere then drafting another young QB to play next year? what the hell would that accomplish?

I hear what your saying. It does make sense but let me try to reply. The importance of value in the draft cannot be under estimated. I believe that is why the Bills picked Spiller. Clearly, we didn't need a RB. It was a value pick. The same could be said of Jimmy Clausen. I would bet on most team's board Clausen was ahead of Troup. Maybe, I am wrong. The Bills could have picked Clausen base on BPA. They chose not too. Which I think is your point. However, a valid point could have been made on why they picked him if he indeed was ranked higher. IMHO, the Bills reached for Troup based on need. Time wil tell if passing on Clausen and picking Troup was the smart thing to do?

Secondly, Clausen didn't have to start right away. He could have sat on the sidelines and developed. Conversely, he could have been plunged into the starting line up right away. Perhaps, he could have been a stud? or dud? If he turned out to be really good then there is no need to draft a Qb next year right? Just because the Bills and other teams based on him doesn't mean he won't be a successful NFL QB. Sounds like you have already decided he isn't going to be good? Nobody knows that...

Thirdly, there is all this talk about getting a QB next year. You don't know that either. I thought for sure we would address the situation this year and we didn't. We don't know where the Bills are going to draft. What if the Bills don't like any of the QB's in the draft? Then what? Also, there is no absolute that if we draft a QB next year that he is going to be the one. Then you wasted a presumable top 5 pick on a QB.

IMHO, picking Clausen at 41 was an easy decision. A decision that would have cost them very little. Could have possibly gotten a solid to franchise QB at a cheap price. Filled a huge need on top of things and wouldn't have broken the bank to sign him. A prefect combo for the Bills organization. To boot,Troup and Cam Thomas could had been selected in the lattter rounds. IMHO, we could have eaten our cake and had it too. A huge gift was looking them in the mouth and they passed. There are no sure things for next year. I get a little annoyed when I hear people talking about next years QB draft. Based on the Bills draft track record ,I do not have confidence that they will select a Qb and if they do I don't have the confidence they will choose the correct one.

I hope that clarifies what myself and perhaps others might be thinking...

My biggest beef is that Nix & company RAN to to podium to select Spiller ( who hopefully turns out to be the next C.Johnson). It sure would have been great to pick up an additional 2nd or 3rd rounder and slide 3-6 spots. I know it takes two teams to make a trade, but you cant make a trade if you're running to the podium. Especialy for a position that e are deep at.

What if Eric Berry or Haden was available @ 9 and was rated the best on NIx's board and became the pick? We'd be screamin for their heads!

I hear what your saying. It does make sense but let me try to reply. The importance of value in the draft cannot be under estimated. I believe that is why the Bills picked Spiller. Clearly, we didn't need a RB. It was a value pick. The same could be said of Jimmy Clausen. I would bet on most team's board Clausen was ahead of Troup. Maybe, I am wrong. The Bills could have picked Clausen base on BPA. They chose not too. Which I think is your point. However, a valid point could have been made on why they picked him if he indeed was ranked higher. IMHO, the Bills reached for Troup based on need. Time wil tell if passing on Clausen and picking Troup was the smart thing to do?

Secondly, Clausen didn't have to start right away. He could have sat on the sidelines and developed. Conversely, he could have been plunged into the starting line up right away. Perhaps, he could have been a stud? or dud? If he turned out to be really good then there is no need to draft a Qb next year right? Just because the Bills and other teams based on him doesn't mean he won't be a successful NFL QB. Sounds like you have already decided he isn't going to be good? Nobody knows that...

Thirdly, there is all this talk about getting a QB next year. You don't know that either. I thought for sure we would address the situation this year and we didn't. We don't know where the Bills are going to draft. What if the Bills don't like any of the QB's in the draft? Then what? Also, there is no absolute that if we draft a QB next year that he is going to be the one. Then you wasted a presumable top 5 pick on a QB.

IMHO, picking Clausen at 41 was an easy decision. A decision that would have cost them very little. Could have possibly gotten a solid to franchise QB at a cheap price. Filled a huge need on top of things and wouldn't have broken the bank to sign him. A prefect combo for the Bills organization. To boot,Troup and Cam Thomas could had been selected in the lattter rounds. IMHO, we could have eaten our cake and had it too. A huge gift was looking them in the mouth and they passed. There are no sure things for next year. I get a little annoyed when I hear people talking about next years QB draft. Based on the Bills draft track record ,I do not have confidence that they will select a Qb and if they do I don't have the confidence they will choose the correct one.

I hope that clarifies what myself and perhaps others might be thinking...

Exactly. My big point was at worse Claussen would have been a stop gap, but maybe he could be far more. He could turn out to be a franchise QB and if not, heck, all it cost you was a high 2nd, and you can try again next year, very little harm done. This especially rings true as in the 3rd it seems pretty clear that the Bills could have grabbed Troup...or at worst obviously could have grabbed Cam Thomas, who didn't go till even later. Looking at the options below, is it even close which group you'd take.

Bills Drafted:

1-Spiller

2-Troup

3-Carrington

Alternative:

1-Spiller

2-Claussen

3-Troup or Cam Thomas

Considering that we lost two running backs to injury maybe Buddy is a clairvoyant and knew his team would need a running back since he sure as heck knows we can't live by the pass! :wallbash:

I'm no doctor (Idon't even play one on TV) but they should both be ready for regular season. They're veterans and shouldn't need the preseason as much as spiller.

If Chan is right, the guy they were looking for was Levi, and not Clausen. Let Brohm and Brown do their thing and see where things end up at the end of the year.

I do agree with the other posters, I was pissed when they selected Troup over Clausen, but then again, I'm not the COACH, only a fan. I'll give Gailey a chance for couple of years, like I did the last three misfit coaches. Hopefully, he can make a change in Buffalo, and not for the worst.

Troup wil be starting long before Clausen will be in the NFL. Williams is too small to play NT. Troup will be the NT in situations more likely to be a running play and Williams may be more of the penetrating NT for more obvious passing downs.

It took me a bunch of years but never bet against Kyle Williams. The ONLY way Troup starts is if he somehow becomes a better run stuffer who plays on 1st and 2nd down with Williams coming in on passing downs.

Brohm didn't play by design, hes second on Thursday. Of course IMHO, they should put him out there with the starters and see what he's got. We already know what Treint doesn't have.

They see him everyday at practice. The Packers saw him everyday at practice. If he can't play better than TE at practice, it's pretty unlikely that he will perform better that TE in the games.