'nother pundit calling for dooooooom!

"Edwards, Fitzpatrick and Brohm sounds more like a law firm that advertises on city benches and subway cars than an NFL quarterback depth chart. The fact that not one of Buffalo’s three quarterbacks has done a thing in their pro careers scares me. The fact that not one has done a thing to distinguish himself from the other two in training camp is downright horrifying."

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Worst-t...eason?GT1=39002

"Edwards, Fitzpatrick and Brohm sounds more like a law firm that advertises on city benches and subway cars than an NFL quarterback depth chart. The fact that not one of Buffalo’s three quarterbacks has done a thing in their pro careers scares me. The fact that not one has done a thing to distinguish himself from the other two in training camp is downright horrifying."

1) This guy's about the millionth sports writer to use that stupid law firm joke.

2) I don't understand the QB situation as a rationale that the Bills will be worse than last year. We had the same exact situation last year!

3) He criticizes the team for not going out and acquiring a big space eating DT, and implies that Kyle Williams is the only option. Apparently he doesn't pay much attention to the draft.

You can tell this guy hasn't spent 5 minutes looking at Bills camp. This is a guy who had a few beers with his reporter buddies, none of them actually looking at the Bills, Rams or Lions, and just repeating what is the current accepted wisdom of the NFL. This is fine. Our players own computers and know what people think of them. I'm hoping that will be their motivation all season.

PTR

1) This guy's about the millionth sports writer to use that stupid law firm joke.

2) I don't understand the QB situation as a rationale that the Bills will be worse than last year. We had the same exact situation last year!

3) He criticizes the team for not going out and acquiring a big space eating DT, and implies that Kyle Williams is the only option. Apparently he doesn't pay much attention to the draft.

Can't be any other reason like, we are so thin at OL that we can only field 2 starters for the first preseason game.

1) Got to agree.

2) Yeah, exact same situation last year. And it sucked then, to the point where pretty much everyone thought we'd try to improve it. QB isn't the part of the team you look at to prove we'll be worse. It's the part of the team, though, that you look at when you want to point out a reason we're unlikely to be better.

3) Your words: "Apparently he doesn't pay much attention to the draft."

His words: "Making the trendy switch to a 3-4 scheme, one would think Buffalo would have gone out and acquired a space-eating 330-plus-pound nose tackle to anchor the D-line. Instead, Kyle Williams— at just 305 pounds and undersized to play that position, will be the starter. And there are no proven backups behind him."

No, draft or not, there are no PROVEN backups behind him. He's dead-on. And it is extremely rare that rookie DTs and NTs are good. It takes a year or two to get in NFL-shape and learn the fine points.

Whatever,

Same rehash all nat'l pubs are writing. I don't take offense. They have to fill a lot of space and don't have the time or inclination to see for themselves and regurgitate conventional wisdom. Still we have a lot to prove and until we do this is what we'll hear. The argument that we cannot field more than two starters on the O-line for the first pre season game is valid and all of us shouldl be concerned. D Bell is green enough without taking part in TC. So I get it. I think we'll surprise some people but until this team reflects the toughness of the Coarch and GM and starts to find some success on the field, we'l hear more of this. So just let it roll over you and let's focus on improving.

I hope these guys keep piling on. I love it. Gimme more!

Slap it on the bulletin board and we'll see what happens.

1) Got to agree.

2) Yeah, exact same situation last year. And it sucked then, to the point where pretty much everyone thought we'd try to improve it. QB isn't the part of the team you look at to prove we'll be worse. It's the part of the team, though, that you look at when you want to point out a reason we're unlikely to be better.

3) Your words: "Apparently he doesn't pay much attention to the draft."

His words: "Making the trendy switch to a 3-4 scheme, one would think Buffalo would have gone out and acquired a space-eating 330-plus-pound nose tackle to anchor the D-line. Instead, Kyle Williams— at just 305 pounds and undersized to play that position, will be the starter. And there are no proven backups behind him."

No, draft or not, there are no PROVEN backups behind him. He's dead-on. And it is extremely rare that rookie DTs and NTs are good. It takes a year or two to get in NFL-shape and learn the fine points.

Except, the fact, that anyone who has been to training camp comes back saying how good Troup and Williams are. You do know that there several very good NTs in the NFL that aren't "space eaters", right?

The guy who wrote the article didn't post the over/under---the books did that. The OP should change the title.

Is our QB situation really the worst? The good news is that if our starter goes down--there's not a huge drop off in talent at #2! There are some scary backup situations in the NFL. Anyone see JT O'Sullivan in Cincy? Yikes! The list is long.

2009 AFC East QB Ratings:

Brady 96.2 371 565 65.7 35.3 4,398 7.8 274.9 TD:28 INT:13

Henne 75.2 274 451 60.8 32.2 2,878 6.4 205.6 TD:12 INT:14

Sanchez 63.0 274 451 60.8 32.2 2,878 6.4 205.6 TD:12 INT:14

Edwards 73.8 110 183 60.1 22.9 1,169 6.4 146.1 TD:6 INT:7

The Jets are going to win the Super Bowl, but the Bills are among the worst teams in the league because they didn't improve at QB.

Whatever.

2009 AFC East QB Ratings:

Brady 96.2 371 565 65.7 35.3 4,398 7.8 274.9 TD:28 INT:13

Henne 75.2 274 451 60.8 32.2 2,878 6.4 205.6 TD:12 INT:14

Sanchez 63.0 274 451 60.8 32.2 2,878 6.4 205.6 TD:12 INT:14

Edwards 73.8 110 183 60.1 22.9 1,169 6.4 146.1 TD:6 INT:7

The Jets are going to win the Super Bowl, but the Bills can't win because they didn't improve at QB.

Whatever.

The Jets were the only one of those teams playing for a spot in the SB......

Didn't bother reading his takes on the other teams, but his "analysis" of the Bills is just more of the same that we've been hearing and reading all along.

He did get one thing right: "Meanwhile, second-year man Aaron Maybin — arguably the most disappointing rookie of the 2009 class— has a lot to prove in 2010."

Which tells us all we need to know about the stupidity of the QB === WINS theory, right? Sanchez was horrible.

Good QB's are very valuable, but teams with great defenses + running games win in spite of their QB.

There is also a lot more to it than QB rating. Look at the rest of the numbers on that line.

Sanchez threw twice as many TD's as Edwards .... and also twice as many INTs.

It is easier to get a higher QB rating when all you do is throw short. But that does not necessarily translate into winning games.