Chan's basic training

Buffalo News

Five linemen get set inside a metal frame that stretches about 18 feet across and about 3• feet high. They fire off the line of scrimmage, out from under the framework, to practice on staying low and driving off the snap.

Chan is actually teaching these guys how to play football. What a concept! Take men who have played football all of their lives and make them un-learn bad habits. This is nuts-n-bolts of the game. You cannot tell me this team will be worse than last year. Not even possible.

However good these players can be. Chan will get it out of them.

PTR

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"I believe you have to be fundamentally sound," Gailey said. "I think you have to teach fundamentals. I worked for a guy way back when I first started coaching. He had a great saying, and the saying was, 'plays are more fun than fundamentals, fundamentals are more important than plays.' Everybody's got the double reverse pass and the fumble-rooskie and all those kind of things, and they're great and there's a place for them. But what wins the majority of the time is blocking and tackling and throwing and catching and kicking."

PTR

Buffalo News

Chan is actually teaching these guys how to play football. What a concept! Take men who have played football all of their lives and make them un-learn bad habits. This is nuts-n-bolts of the game. You cannot tell me this team will be worse than last year. Not even possible.

PTR

I did this in HS as i'm sure a lot of us here did. I like this! I'm sure our O-linemen are getting a kick out of this and getting the kinks out. I would if i was in their place. Back to basics "nuts-n-bolts" football. What better place to start.

Buffalo News

PTR

Keep fightin' the good fight Promo...I'm with you. This team will be better.

Keep fightin' the good fight Promo...I'm with you. This team will be better.

The problem with Jauron was that he had an attitude that these guys are pros so they dont need to work on fundamentals. Chan treats every player like he doesn't know the game as well as he could. this is good. you can always get better. He will get the most of what he has on the roster. Jauron didn't do that. Jauron also didn't let his rookies play, that was a major problem the past few years.

The problem with Jauron was that he had an attitude that these guys are pros so they dont need to work on fundamentals. Chan treats every player like he doesn't know the game as well as he could. this is good. you can always get better. He will get the most of what he has on the roster. Jauron didn't do that. Jauron also didn't let his rookies play, that was a major problem the past few years.

:thumbsup:

Buffalo News

PTR

But wait! All of the pundits say we'll be lucky to win three games.

ESPN has us ranked 31st out of 32!

They must be right. They're professionals. :thumbsup:

well how are these guys ever gonna develop if all they do is work on fundamentals?

why aren't they scrimmaging for 4 hrs a day instead, man, chan sucks, we're screwed

***please detect the sarcasm***

Enter Norman Dale...

"There's more to the game than shooting. There's fundamentals and defense."

Buffalo News

...You cannot tell me this team will be worse than last year. Not even possible...

PTR

With the name "PromoTheRobot", you have got to be around my age. How on earth can you have watched so many years of Buffalo Bills football, and make that statement?? :thumbsup:

1988: The young Bills come of age, finish 12-4-0 and go to the AFC Championship game losing to the Bengals in a close game at Cinti. Did any of us think that team could possibly be worse in 1989?

1989: "Bickering Bills" lead to a drop to 9-7-0 record, and then they lost in the Divisional playoffs at Cleveland.

I could go on all day with examples of teams actually going backwards when all evidence points to them improving from season to season. Especially these days, when teams annually go from first to worst and vice versa due to free agency and the salary cap.

Sure I like what Gailey and his staff are doing this summer. It is refreshing from the "Club Dick" training camps of the past 4 years. But I am not about to make bold predictions on how the Bills "can't possibly finish worse then 6-10-0" when the bullets start flying in September.

I am hoping they get at least 8 or even 9 wins this year. Other then that, who knows how they will do??

Buffalo News

PTR

Promo I enjoy your posts but you have got to be careful. This team is rebuilding and has serious depth and experience issues. The OL is still very questionable until proven otherwise. The defensive front seven is unproven in playing a new scheme. The QB situation is also questionable. We shall see this year if Edwards is ever going to develop, be a leader, and throw the dam ball down the field. We have a roster full of players that are used to losing and have not figured out how to win close games.

I can see 8 or 9 wins if all questionable areas turn out for the best. Realistically I think that it is very possible that this team plays better than last year and still only wins 4 or 5 games.

Promo I enjoy your posts but you have got to be careful. This team is rebuilding and has serious depth and experience issues. The OL is still very questionable until proven otherwise. The defensive front seven is unproven in playing a new scheme. The QB situation is also questionable. We shall see this year if Edwards is ever going to develop, be a leader, and throw the dam ball down the field. We have a roster full of players that are used to losing and have not figured out how to win close games.

I can see 8 or 9 wins if all questionable areas turn out for the best. Realistically I think that it is very possible that this team plays better than last year and still only wins 4 or 5 games.

Football, more than any other sport, is decided with coaching. A team of expertly coached middle-of-the-road players will beat an all-star team that has no direction.

There are a lot of assumptions being made about this team. We don't know how good Nix's picks will be. We don't know if players from last year can pick up their games. We don't know how effective Chan Gailey's game plans will be or how well they will be executed by these players. But what we do know is Chan Gailey is running the most disciplined physical camp the Bills have seen in ages. And where this group won 6 games with the house burning down under Jauron last year, with the application of discipline and fundamentals you have to expect improvement in 2010.

That's all I'm saying.

PTR

Buffalo News

PTR

Exactly!! :thumbsup::devil:

Football, more than any other sport, is decided with coaching. A team of expertly coached middle-of-the-road players will beat an all-star team that has no direction.

There are a lot of assumptions being made about this team. We don't know how good Nix's picks will be. We don't know if players from last year can pick up their games. We don't know how effective Chan Gailey's game plans will be or how well they will be executed by these players. But what we do know is Chan Gailey is running the most disciplined physical camp the Bills have seen in ages. And where this group won 6 games with the house burning down under Jauron last year, with the application of discipline and fundamentals you have to expect improvement in 2010.

That's all I'm saying.

PTR

The way I look at it, even with the same players from last year, just getting rid of Jauron is worth at least a win or two. I wouldn't be surprised if we went 5-11, but I also won't be suprised if we go 8-8 or even 9-7.

Guest dog14787
Buffalo News

PTR

Myself personally PTR, Chan Gailey feels like a match made in football heaven with the Buffalo Bills.

The players seem to be responding extremely well so far under Gailey's strong leadership and I have never enjoyed listening to an NFL coach talk football more then I do listening to Chan Gailey. Hearing first hand accounts as Gailey takes hold of a struggling football team/ organization and blankets it with his inner strength/ confidence/ winning attitude are memories I will forever cherish.

I Billieve...

That's all I'm saying.

PTR

I agree with everything you're saying Promo. I think the point that you are trying to make, that is getting lost a little here is the fact that, Jauron's teams over the last couple of years have looked grossly inept, misguided, incompetent, directionless and just plain bland. The one thing DJ did get this team to do was overachieve which did produce the 6 wins last year, which IMO was an amazing feat considering how terrible the team looked 90% of the time they took the field.

There are a lot of questions surrounding this team which the other posters have pointed out. I still believe that they will win at least 9 games this year solely due to the fact that there is a "feel it in your heart" direction to this team for the first time in a long time here. I think the players and fans sense it. Hell, even the lifeless, sackless Trent Edwards appears to be showing some balls and signs of life for the first time since his rookie year.

Lets hope that all this fundamental teaching pays off. It sure looks like it will so far.

I agree with everything you're saying Promo. I think the point that you are trying to make, that is getting lost a little here is the fact that, Jauron's teams over the last couple of years have looked grossly inept, misguided, incompetent, directionless and just plain bland. The one thing DJ did get this team to do was overachieve which did produce the 6 wins last year, which IMO was an amazing feat considering how terrible the team looked 90% of the time they took the field.

The question I wonder about is ... Did D.J.'s teams consist of a bunch of bad players who Dick got to "overachive" ... or was there talent there somewhere that looked "grossly inept, misguided, incompetent, directionless and just plain bland" because they had no direction, organization or workable game plans.

My hopes as a Bills fan is that we do have some "hidden" talent in the likes of Mcargo, Edwards, Maybin, Hardy etc etc etc and they will begin to shine from this season onward.

Then again I did say I was a Bills fan so I'm totally prepared if everybody does in fact stink .... such is the life