So, it's still early but Gailey, we like him, right?

I mean keeping in mind everything that was said previously with coaching choices for this team (which by the grace of everything holy we won't rehash here :) ), it generally seems most everyone on TSW kinda likes the guy.

Yes, no games, even preseason, have been played as of yet, but his general demeanor, the way he runs camp, the way he runs fitness training, the coaches he has brought in, the plans he has in place have really, REALLY just been met with general approval by the masses.

I know I am stating the obvious with respect to the above, however, I really didn't even start to dwell on it until this morning and when you get right down to it what it means to me is I really like the direction of the leadership of this team.

Sure, we will curse him the first time he throws the ball on 4th and 1, and for not pulling out the red flag when we think he should.

...but I like this guy and I like what he is doing with this team.

That's it, nothing more.

Go Bills.

I mean keeping in mind everything that was said previously with coaching choices for this team (which by the grace of everything holy we won't rehash here :) ), it generally seems most everyone on TSW kinda likes the guy.

Yes, no games, even preseason, have been played as of yet, but his general demeanor, the way he runs camp, the way he runs fitness training, the coaches he has brought in, the plans he has in place have really, REALLY just been met with general approval by the masses.

I know I am stating the obvious with respect to the above, however, I really didn't even start to dwell on it until this morning and when you get right down to it what it means to me is I really like the direction of the leadership of this team.

Sure, we will curse him the first time he throws the ball on 4th and 1, and for not pulling out the red flag when we think he should.

...but I like this guy and I like what he is doing with this team.

That's it, nothing more.

Go Bills.

I agree, the direction of the team is refreshing. But then again, any change different from the past 3-4 years is going to be refreshing. It seems to me that these guys have a plan and are sticking to it no matter what, which might not mean much success short term but once they get the guys they want I think the future will look brighter.

I wasn't thrilled about the hire but the more that I hear him talk, his honesty and passion really come through and it's refreshing as hell. I thought that maybe I was just used to a corpse as a head coach who says nothing of substance, but thats not the case with Chan. Hopefully that translates to offensive productivity and wins.

All positive so far but the biggest unknown is whether he can gameplan and make the right decisions under pressure on gameday. Knowing when to call timeout, when to punt, when to go for it, when to challenge, when to start moving the pocket around because our line can't block worth a damn, etc. Let's see what he does when it comes time to start patrolling the sidelines.

I wasn't thrilled about the hire but the more that I hear him talk, his honesty and passion really come through and it's refreshing as hell. I thought that maybe I was just used to a corpse as a head coach who says nothing of substance, but thats not the case with Chan. Hopefully that translates to offensive productivity and wins.

I agree with this.

For the OP----did this topic really need yet another thread? Why is it important that we "like him" before any results have been recorded? Why not wait and see what happens? Problems sleeping?

I agree with this.

For the OP----did this topic really need yet another thread? Why is it important that we "like him" before any results have been recorded? Why not wait and see what happens? Problems sleeping?

WEO, honestly I did debate that, but I would call it just a generally conglomeration of the seeming fact based upon my observation that over the last few months the normally bi**** members of TSW (myself included) generally have had little if nothing really bad to say about Gailey.

Which is a nice change from the previous regime.

Additionally, as I sort of stated, this isn't a final grade, this is just so far.

EDIT: Problems sleeping? I just got married, so in a way, yeaaahhhhhh. :)

Go Bills.

I am in the honeymoon period where I would find it cute if he got drunk and pi$$ed on the living room carpet.

Seriously, as Coach Tuesday said, it all sounds good but we have to see results during the season. Is the team improving ? Are the coaches planning and executing games well ? Are they putting personnel in the best position to succeed ?

Call me gullible but I have initially liked every coach we hired in the recent past (except Jauron whose handiwork I had seen at Chicago).

We don't yet know what Gaily fully is yet, but I think we know what he is not:

He's not going to stand on the sidelines w/o a headset on (Wade)

He's not going to stand motionless on the sidelines during intense moments of the game with that deer-in-the-headlights look in his eyes (Jauron)

He's not going to come in as a big talker (Greggo)

He'll run fundamentally sound plays and not goofy gimicks (Mularkey)

So, based on that, I like him. Seriously, based on all his interviews (and I think I've seen about all of them), the guy seems level-headed, fair-minded, intelligent, motivational, wise, etc. I like him.

OK, so I am going to hijack my thread here a little bit and I have brought this up before; can you guys envision the possibility that this team could have a worse record than last year, lets say 5-11, but you are more satisfied with their direction based upon the coaching and what you see on the field?

I bought in long ago.

It was a shockingly practical move to hire Gailey after going through a decade of Williams, Mularkey and Jauron, and I think the Bills will be better for it.

He's a proven winner, and experienced. Not sure what more fans could possibly ask for.

OK, so I am going to hijack my thread here a little bit and I have brought this up before; can you guys envision the possibility that this team could have a worse record than last year, lets say 5-11, but you are more satisfied with their direction based upon the coaching and what you see on the field?

No, I cannot see worse than last year. The OL has a little more experience now (though lost some, too -- Butler), but overall I think will be improved. The defense should be better just on the scheme alone, but I also think we've got some real players on D. Sure, can be stronger in areas, but solid coaching it seems will help put people where they need to be. They may or may not make the playoffs, but think they'll be at least around the .500 mark.

Anything can happen. We can gain 500 yds per game and still be 0-16. We could give up 5 turnovers and 5 sacks a game and still be 19-0. But generally if the team plays better we will win more.

Must I cite examples of games we had won but for a game-changing questionable coaching decision by a certain head coach who, purportedly, had no male appendage? I think its fairly obvious to anyone capable of paying attention that our new head coach appears to be somewhat more knowledgeable of the game of football, and will likely not be flummoxed by sudden decisions and adjustments that must be made in-game.

In fact, dare I say, that our current head football coach may have such a mastery of the noble sport that he may actually force the other teams to react to his strategies rather than visa versa?

But do I like Chan? Yes I do.

PTR

For the record Wade Phillips has a .600 career coaching win record. That isn't bad at all. and he head coached a lot of games for a lot of teams.

Unlike some here, I always liked Wade. The Bills never should have fired him.