Any cheese connoisseurs?

I love cheese but find the selection available in local stores unacceptable. [i had no idea the French made cheese till I visited WNY in 2003 and went to Wegman's] I have decided to spurge and order some raw milk X sharp Cheddar and real provolone. Any other ideas?

This is more difficult to answer than a question on wine preferences. Seriously! What's your palate? "How low will you go?"

If you're adventurous, I'd recommend a goat cheese. Not a BIG piece, but it's the most distinctive flavor out there.

My wife does a Brie melt with walnuts and brown sugar. Fantastic. The kids inhale it with lavash bread.

"Hot Fun in the Summertime" - Sly and the Family Stone

I love cheese but find the selection available in local stores unacceptable. [i had no idea the French made cheese till I visited WNY in 2003 and went to Wegman's] I have decided to spurge and order some raw milk X sharp Cheddar and real provolone. Any other ideas?

If you feel like channeling Chef, try making your own.

I agree it's tough to give you some ideas seeing I don't know your tastes and the good stuff is expensive. But here are a couple of mine.

Cow girl Creamery. I like the Red Hawk. It's a washed rind so it's stinky but it's goooood.

Adante Dairy Not sure if you can get it, check the site. I like the soft ripened cow's milk. I usually get it at the local farmer's market.

Bellwether Farms Another local favorite but I love fresh cheese like ricotta or mozzarella. And sheep's ricotta has a sharper tang. Good stuff.

If you want to really get into cheese get this magazine.

I've been making my own cheese. I really want to make some aged cheese but finding the right temp and climate to age it is tough. In the meantime I've just been making fresh cheeses. Have fun.

I've been making my own cheese. I really want to make some aged cheese but finding the right temp and climate to age it is tough. In the meantime I've just been making fresh cheeses. Have fun.

Actually my unheated basement is probably perfect for aging cheese. 40 or so year round. But I need to find what I am looking for till I go that route. I can't find a decent swiss, much less calf rennet :thumbsup:

Actually my unheated basement is probably perfect for aging cheese. 40 or so year round. But I need to find what I am looking for till I go that route. I can't find a decent swiss, much less calf rennet :thumbsup:

You can get the rennet online. And vinegar or even fresh lemon juice works as a good coagulant.

I'd like to learn more about good cheeses too. I made friends with this french kid growing up and I was lucky enough to be invited to go visit him and his family in France a few times when I was younger. After every dinner at a restaurant, the waiter would come around with this giant plate of different cheeses and each person would select a few slices. At the time, I thought it was ridiculous excuse for 'dessert' and just wanted some fuggin ice cream or something. <_<

I go to VT every summer and always pick up some Cabot Seriously Sharp Cheddar. I recommend that 3lb block. Nice brick of cheese!

Give me some of that, a few slices of sopressata and some baguette or crackers....I'm chillin.

Of course when I buy it at home from the supermarket, it doesn't taste as good. Probably all in my head.

The best cheese store in Philly is DiBruno Brothers, an absolute treasure. They sell variety cheese packs online. Not a bad way to figure out what you like. I've given these as gifts and people love it.

http://www.dibruno.com/StoreFront.bok

They have an actual retail location? I'm a big fan of specialty cheeses. Edit: see they're in the Italian Market. I may hold my nose long enough to make the trip into Philthadelphia if the cheese is actually worth it.

Aged Gouda (not the regular stuff). Distinctive taste, IMO. Rich, creamy flavor yet dry and rather sharp. $$$

http://www.artisanalcheese.com/prodinfo.asp?number=10716

Also, a good Asiago is great by itself or with a little Vino.

<_<

Be careful, Oliver will come in and tell you it's ****.

<_<

Oh I will ask if it is raw cheese... :w00t::)

If that is the case, you better trust where you are getting it from. Buying off the internet sounds down right scary. I am not aganist the whole raw thing, but it is nice to physically know the farmer or artisan.

Debate

"...Ultimately, the raw milk versus pasteurized milk cheese debate is about infection and contamination control..."