1/4 cup onion finely minced

2 cloves garlic pureed

1/2 teaspoon black pepper

1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

1/2 cup brown sugar

1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce

Combine ingredients and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Since the other thread was such a success and spawned several good ideas, here's another one. Anyone got any good homemade BBQ Sauce recipes? With the season coming up it's full fledged grilling and cooking time!

Man, I approve of this thread, even more than the other one.

I mean I really, really do.

:thumbsup:

I always make my own bbq sauce. In a pinch I use simmered ketchup as a base- and use whatever else I feel like- molasses, cayenne, onions, garlic, mustard, smoke, chilis, oranges, cumin, thyme, savory, brown sugar, paprika, bourbon, epazote, agave nectar, cider vinegar, tomatos, lemons, sriracha, curry paste, etc -you get the idea.

Fresh BBQ sauce is infinitely better then any crap you buy in the supermarket

1st rule of a great BBQ sauce (or ANY sauce for that matter):

NO MUSTARD!

Damn I hate that crap.

There are some OK BBQ places down here, but there downfall is usually the sauce. It seems they all use the vile mustard in their hotter sauces. Have they never heard of chili peppers?

Oh...IMO, of course.

I make my own and have no recipe. I just open a can of tomato puree and the spice cabinet. Every color, shape or grind of pepper I have with chile powder, cumin, corn syrup, brown sugar, liquid smoke, cider vinegar and yes dried mustard.

Truthfully, I can live with a bit of dried mustard (though I don't often admit it). Prepared mustard, on the other hand....yeech!

Truthfully, I can live with a bit of dried mustard (though I don't often admit it). Prepared mustard, on the other hand....yeech!

Ok I was wondering what kind of mustard you meant. I just grab every !@#$ing spice and dried herb I have on hand and put it in there. Will be bbqing this weekend. :thumbsup:

Oh and no bourbon, that's for the chef.

Ok I was wondering what kind of mustard you meant. I just grab every !@#$ing spice and dried herb I have on hand and put it in there. Will be bbqing this weekend. <_<

Oh and no bourbon, that's for the chef.

Ever been to a mall food court and been assaulted by people with a sample of their own "Bourbon Chicken"? Later I'll end up at the liquor store stocking up on Maker's Mark.

1st rule of a great BBQ sauce (or ANY sauce for that matter):

NO MUSTARD!

Damn I hate that crap.

There are some OK BBQ places down here, but there downfall is usually the sauce. It seems they all use the vile mustard in their hotter sauces. Have they never heard of chili peppers?

Oh...IMO, of course.

not true at all, many a great BBQ sauces are mustard based

Ive used this one several times. It's Bobby Flay one. Really like the chipolte taste combined with sweetness. Like to use it on flank steak for sandwiches

Ingredients

3 cups balsamic vinegar

4 tablespoons canola oil

1 medium Spanish onion, coarsely chopped

3 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped

1 cup ketchup

1/3 cup water

2 tablespoons ancho chili powder

1 tablespoon paprika

1 heaping tablespoon Dijon mustard

1 tablespoon red wine vinegar

1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

1 canned chipotle chile in adobo, chopped

2 tablespoons dark brown sugar

1 tablespoon honey

1 tablespoon molasses

Pinch salt and freshly ground black pepper, plus more for seasoning

Directions

Put the balsamic vinegar in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a simmer and cook until reduced to 1 cup. Set aside.

Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil over medium-high heat in a heavy-bottomed medium saucepan. Add the onions and cook until soft, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the ketchup and the water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the reduced vinegar and the remaining ingredients and simmer until thickened, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes. Puree with an immersion blender until smooth and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Pour into a bowl and allow to cool at room temperature.

I am a big fan of Cooks Illustrated and America's Test Kitchen. Well this weekend they tested barbeque sauces. They stated they always make their own at home, and they did a blind taste test of store bought sauces on the show. And year after year Bull's Eye barbeque sauce wins overwhelmingly. The audience tests it too, and they near unanimously selected Bulls Eye. And on the show they made a BBQ sauce using Bull's Eye as a starter. The other brands did not fair well in testing. Comments were along the lines of "I taste corn syrup" "too sweet". The tasters loved the smokiness of Bulls Eye

I am a big fan of Cooks Illustrated and America's Test Kitchen. Well this weekend they tested barbeque sauces. They stated they always make their own at home, and they did a blind taste test of store bought sauces on the show. And year after year Bull's Eye barbeque sauce wins overwhelmingly. The audience tests it too, and they near unanimously selected Bulls Eye. And on the show they made a BBQ sauce using Bull's Eye as a starter. The other brands did not fair well in testing. Comments were along the lines of "I taste corn syrup" "too sweet". The tasters loved the smokiness of Bulls Eye

And everyone laughed when I said "Aisle 5 in the grocery store"

And everyone laughed when I said "Aisle 5 in the grocery store"

I still do. Liquid smoke works very nice in a home made barbeque sauce. And my home made barbeque sauce blows away Bulls Eye. There is no comparison

i usually do the same, but i try to incorporate raspberry preserves and chipotles whenever possible

I always make my own bbq sauce. In a pinch I use simmered ketchup as a base- and use whatever else I feel like- molasses, cayenne, onions, garlic, mustard, smoke, chilis, oranges, cumin, thyme, savory, brown sugar, paprika, bourbon, epazote, agave nectar, cider vinegar, tomatos, lemons, sriracha, curry paste, etc -you get the idea.

Fresh BBQ sauce is infinitely better then any crap you buy in the supermarket