Trent Edwards' confidence

This is perhaps the most encouraging thing I've heard Trent say in quite some time, per Gaughan in TBN:

"Lee's one of the best go-ball route-runners in this league, I feel like. He runs them down, he pins the guy, he gets open downfield. We just have to protect. I've got to be able to let it fly. I've got to be accurate with it."

YES!, TRENT, YOU FINALLY GOT IT!

LET IT FLY!

STOP CHECKING DOWN EVERY PLAY!

Maybe Gailey can get through to Edwards after all? (or maybe I'm trying too hard to find something to be optimistic about?) I think all along Trent's problem has been confidence and a sort of psychological hesitancy. If Gailey can be Trent's shrink and get his confidence level back up, who knows, maybe he can still turn him into an NFL QB. He has the prototypical size. Let's hope Gailey tutors Edwards the right way and unlocks his dormant potential ...

Or am I just another irrational die-hard fan trying too hard to find a shred of hope as the season approaches?

This is perhaps the most encouraging thing I've heard Trent say in quite some time, per Gaughan in TBN:

"Lee's one of the best go-ball route-runners in this league, I feel like. He runs them down, he pins the guy, he gets open downfield. We just have to protect. I've got to be able to let it fly. I've got to be accurate with it."

LET IT FLY!

Maybe Gailey can get through to Edwards after all? (or maybe I'm trying too hard to find something to be optimistic about?) I think all along Trent's problem has been confidence and a sort of psychological hesitancy. If Gailey can be Trent's shrink and get his confidence level back up, who knows, maybe he can still turn him into an NFL QB. He has the prototypical size. Let's hope Gailey tutors Edwards the right way and unlocks his dormant potential ...

Or am I just another irrational die-hard fan trying too hard to find a shred of hope as the season approaches?

I like what you've said applescruff. I have to admit i'm always optimistic about the Bills. Every year as the season progresses i'm always telling my friends *theoretically, mathematically the Bills can still make the playoffs and go to the Super Bowl* I never back down to whatever my friends say. There is no other choice for a true die hard Bills fan. Theoretically we can make the Super Bowl this year. Of course it's possible. I will never deny that possibility. But the odds are slim to none and slim is thinking about packing his bags. Slim isn't out of town yet tho.

I honestly think we have a chance to make .500. If we're lucky 9-7. We could even be 4-12. But I think closer to .500. I have to temper my optimism though. I have to constantly throw a rope around my optimism and reign it in a little bit. I see an improving team though. I see progress in the making. This will be a growing team with a winning attitude and God help any team that takes us for granted in the 2nd half of this season. We are a team now built of players with chips on their shoulders. And next years draft will have an infusion of more of the same types of athletes.

This season i'm looking for growth and progress. I can't wait for our team to prove the negatives wrong. For this season I don't need the playoffs to be excited about our team. I just want consistent progress!! :)

And to F*$k the Pats.

LET IT FLY!

In my own crazy little world, it looks like he's pinin' for JPL.

people are still clinging to this notion that Dick J wouldn't let Trentative throw the ball downfield. Like he was just following orders, he could have completed the long ball given the chance.

The long ball was there, Trent just didn't throw it.

Well let's see if Chan can correct this. If he can't then they can toss Trent out to the trash bin. I'm sure that would satisfy some people.

LET IT FLY!

when u said more confidence. i thought someone just wrapped him in a tampon with wings.

people are still clinging to this notion that Dick J wouldn't let Trentative throw the ball downfield. Like he was just following orders, he could have completed the long ball given the chance.

ding, ding, ding....winner, winner chicken dinner.

Trent is a marshmallow posing as an NFL quarterback.

The thing that astounds me is that many fans seem to think an NFL offense should consist of a Madden playbook. There's a whole lot more to winning games than having your fastest WR run a go route on every play. If that were the secret every team in the league would do it on every play.

Go look at the average completion distances and please stop talking playground football.

But, haven't the practice notes say that he's been throwing down field the past few days?

Not saying that immediately translates to success on the field in a game, but what he did last night seems more relevant than what he did last year under Jauron...

But, haven't the practice notes say that he's been throwing down field the past few days?

Not saying that immediately translates to success on the field in a game, but what he did last night seems more relevant than what he did last year under Jauron...

You don't think he threw it long at practice last year? We talkin bout practice.

The thing that astounds me is that many fans seem to think an NFL offense should consist of a Madden playbook. There's a whole lot more to winning games than having your fastest WR run a go route on every play. If that were the secret every team in the league would do it on every play.

Go look at the average completion distances and please stop talking playground football.

Good one!

yes, just allow the defense to only have to cover the first ten yards from the line.

You don't think he threw it long at practice last year? We talkin bout practice.

Who knows - they didn't do squats, practice in pads or hit each other last year, so who knows...

Guess we'll know a lot more on Friday!

My main concerns with Trent are not his confidence. I remember watching an interview on PTI with him last preseason and he was confident and relaxed.

My concerns are consistency game in and game out, getting the ball out of his hand and his inability to stay healthy.

You can't have solid games like he did against the Pats and Bucs to open the season and then follow those up with horrible performances against the Saints, Phins and Browns. His whole career has been like that.

...and then theres his health....

I agree with this 100%, and I have been among Trent's biggest detractors. I wanted Gailey and Nix to cut him when they assumed control of the team.

I'm just allowing for the possibility, however small it might be, that after a few weeks in camp with Gailey, Trent becomes a different QB with more confidence. I've never heard Trent say "I need to fire it in there and be accurate with it" before. I'm just saying that this is an encouraging response, not the bland "we need to keep working hard" nonsense that Trent usually offers up for the media...

I mean, what's the point of having all these practice sessions, watching film, having meetings, if it doesn't mean that some players improve. Gailey and his staff, after all, are known for being great teachers...

Who knows - they didn't do squats, practice in pads or hit each other last year, so who knows...

Guess we'll know a lot more on Friday!

It's not that I think it impossible that he can improve. I just don't accept that it was DJ and not Trent that was responsible for his "Trentativeness".

I don't care who the QB is as long as he plays well.

I agree with this 100%, and I have been among Trent's biggest detractors. I wanted Gailey and Nix to cut him when they assumed control of the team.

I'm just allowing for the possibility, however small it might be, that after a few weeks in camp with Gailey, Trent becomes a different QB with more confidence. I've never heard Trent say "I need to fire it in there and be accurate with it" before. I'm just saying that this is an encouraging response, not the bland "we need to keep working hard" nonsense that Trent usually offers up for the media...

I mean, what's the point of having all these practice sessions, watching film, having meetings, if it doesn't mean that some players improve. Gailey and his staff, after all, are known for being great teachers...

It's not just TC, Trent has been positive and comfortable with CG from the beginning. I hope we are seeing the maturation of an NFl QB. In the days before Elway and Marino, QB's usually weren't ready until year 3 or 4. let's hope this is the beginning of something really good.

All the constant griping about TE, justified or not, just gets old after awhile. Whether we like it or not, the Bills starting QB is already on the roster. Ain't nobody else coming in to take the job, not Jimmy Clausen, Jim Kelly or Andrew Luck. These are our guys this year. And out of that group, Trent Edwards seems to be the best man for the job in the eyes of Gailey.

So all the woulda, shoulda, coulda hand wringing and condemnation of TE is just "shakin' the monkey." Either he, or Brohm or Fitz or Brown is "the man." Time to cowboy up, drop the fantasizing, and accept that this is who we have. So let's hope that TE really is confident, that Gailey can get his head (and his mechanics) straightened out, and that the scheme in place plays to his strengths and away from his weaknesses. Ya gots ta dance with the one that brung ya.

All the constant griping about TE, justified or not, just gets old after awhile. Whether we like it or not, the Bills starting QB is already on the roster. Ain't nobody else coming in to take the job, not Jimmy Clausen, Jim Kelly or Andrew Luck. These are our guys this year. And out of that group, Trent Edwards seems to be the best man for the job in the eyes of Gailey.

So all the woulda, shoulda, coulda hand wringing and condemnation of TE is just "shakin' the monkey." Either he, or Brohm or Fitz or Brown is "the man." Time to cowboy up, drop the fantasizing, and accept that this is who we have. So let's hope that TE really is confident, that Gailey can get his head (and his mechanics) straightened out, and that the scheme in place plays to his strengths and away from his weaknesses. Ya gots ta dance with the one that brung ya.

I'm prepared to "cowboy up" as you put it...

I'll do the proverbial "dance with who brung ya" with this clown of a QB, but at the end of the night I'm looking for the hot chick...

I'll pull for TE in 2010 & pray the Bills defense can stop the run on my way to enjoying a 6-10 season.

[/b]

I'm prepared to "cowboy up" as you put it...

I'll do the proverbial "dance with who brung ya" with this clown of a QB, but at the end of the night I'm looking for the hot chick...

I'll pull for TE in 2010 & pray the Bills defense can stop the run on my way to enjoying a 6-10 season.

See, that's the problem. There aren't any hot chicks at this dance, just four Plain Janes. So your choice is to either go home and wait for the next get-together, or enjoy yourself with what's available.

For myself, I intend to accept that this is "who we are" and to enjoy the season as much as possible. So long as this year's team plays hard, plays intelligently and plays to win.

I sure as heck don't cling to this. I think Turk and Alex has offenses in with a real passing game. Trent just wouldn't throw it out there. I've been to several Trent games and seen WRs running free in the secondary only be ignored by Trent. Jaws, Rich Gannon, and Mark Kelso among others have commented about this at Bills games.

That's why he was benched last year. The week before DJ got fired, he had already announced that Fitz would be starting the next game after Trent's dismal performance vs. Tennessee. They realized, this guy ain't gonna get it.

Hopefully Coach Gailey can change this. But I gotta see it first. And, I gotta see 8 or 9 good games, not the usual 2 or 3 followed by a few bad games and then an injury.

We won't know squat until October after they have a played a few games for real.

I disagree - we might not know if Trent is going to be the QB of the near-future, but I think that how the team plays, their attitude, the plays they run, the way they run them will give us a glimpse into our year...

The whole game is confidence not just Trent. There is a fine line between winning and losing and confidence can pull you over the line. The Bills of the early 90's had the confidence to win the game no matter how far they were down (except in January) and won a significant amount of games that they probably shouldn't have. If this team can win 3-4 games early, they could be seriously dangerous because the talent is there. Confidence is everything and I think Chan is really exuding it and it is showing through his players.

Denzel Washington in Remember the Titans - "I'm a winner. I'm going to win. "

Trent really has troubles looking at more than one receiver. Every pass seems to be telegraphed for defences to easily read. If he starts to use a pump fake once in a while or at least look at more than one receiver, there may be hope.

LET IT FLY!

That's encouraging, but wait till Capt Checkdown goes against the Redskins. Each year, he looks "great" in camp, then reality sets it. From the reports about Friday night, he was back to old habits and unable to find anyone open. I wasn't there, just reading the reports of others and the media.

That's encouraging, but wait till Capt Checkdown goes against the Redskins. Each year, he looks "great" in camp, then reality sets it. From the reports about Friday night, he was back to old habits and unable to find anyone open. I wasn't there, just reading the reports of others and the media.

If Trent plays Friday like he did in the HOF game last year, this thing is back to being wide open.

I'll start to believe in Trent if he's still doing well into November. Usually October is when it starts to go south on him soon followed by an injury.

Correct, and that begs the question "why not?"

Was watching some "Classic Bills" on YouTube

Two things struck me:

1) how long Kelly or Reich had in the pocket most of the time relative to any Bills game I was able to watch last year.

2) how often the backs and TEs threw a mean block at the right time to help the protection.

I know some people think Trent had plenty of time to throw last year. Maybe he did, at times.

I'm not sure that reflects reality most of the time. If 90% of the time you better dump off quick, that could lead to missed opportunities when there were both protection and open receivers.

Lynch looks as though he should throw a good block, but I haven't seen it yet. Jackson seems to try, but whether it's technique or size doesn't seem too effective. Can good coaching and accountability make a difference here?

Well, when you consider every other aspect of Jauron's coaching "style", it's not an unreasonable guess at all.

Dick played to not lose, because he thought - in his own words "it's hard to win". If he didn't convey that downer risk-averse mindset to his players directly, I guarantee it was spreading implicity.

Why not assume he affected Edwards' confidence?

JP Losman was the 11th rated passer in the NFL in Dick's first year as HC. He did that by throwing bombs to Evans, and Jauron rewarded him by bringing in TE. Losman regressed every year under that coaching staff, why shouldn't we hope TE regressed from the lightning-release super accurate passer he started as because of the same coaching?

Well, when you consider every other aspect of Jauron's coaching "style", it's not an unreasonable guess at all.

Dick played to not lose, because he thought - in his own words "it's hard to win". If he didn't convey that downer risk-averse mindset to his players directly, I guarantee it was spreading implicity.

Why not assume he affected Edwards' confidence?

JP Losman was the 11th rated passer in the NFL in Dick's first year as HC. He did that by throwing bombs to Evans, and Jauron rewarded him by bringing in TE. Losman regressed every year under that coaching staff, why shouldn't we hope TE regressed from the lightning-release super accurate passer he started as because of the same coaching?

I think you're stretching it. I think he is what he is. And that with the way the team was desperate to get the ball downfield, if he didn't have the leadership to say

"eff the coach guys, I know your open, and I know I can get you the ball, and I know we're out of the playoffs, and I know every week in the paper they are calling me Trentative and Captain Checkdown, and it's obvious that the coach has little authority in this organization, you can call me crazy, but I'm gonna throw the ball FIFTEEN WHOLE YARDS downfield this time if it's there"

If he couldn't do that, then he won't ever be a good leader.

I don't think that it happened that way though. I just think that for whatever reason, he either can't or won't make the throw. What was DJ gonna do, bench him for Fitzpatrick? Oh yeah.

thats actually the only deep ball trent has ever thrown and....we are talking about mid range throws he never makes...also to be clear as to what you meant....Trent sucked for 3 years because we think the plays should be like madden plays? I think he sucked because he sucked.

My main concerns with Trent are not his confidence. I remember watching an interview on PTI with him last preseason and he was confident and relaxed.

My concerns are consistency game in and game out, getting the ball out of his hand and his inability to stay healthy.

You can't have solid games like he did against the Pats and Bucs to open the season and then follow those up with horrible performances against the Saints, Phins and Browns. His whole career has been like that.

...and then theres his health....

im glad he doesnt stay healthy