Trent's habit for staring down receivers

B Rob, you have to realize Jeremy has been sent over here from Entercom (Specifically WGR 550) to piss in our collective cornflakes. Look up his history of negative, sarcastic one or two line posts. He is just a pathetic corporate troll.

They better be sending me my paycheck

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did they do anything at all to address the line? lol

Well, they did draft Levitre and Wood last year...you would assume they will be a little better this year...you would assume...but, it seems like the rest of the O-line is just a rotating group of journeymen and practice squad players from other teams... I would have liked to see something a little more than that, this off-season. I realize, starting LT don't grow on trees, but is Cornell Green the answer? I really don't know...is he?

See you on the 28th!

Thanks, although I haven't been on the Zone in years.

Regarding the topic, this issue of Trent's is the only thing that really holds him back, IMO. Whether fixing this problem will make him eventually become a great QB is anyone's guess but if it truly is gone from his game, the QB position might not be a major weakness for the Bills for the next few years. :worthy:

Your observation on Trent was keen. Is he going to play jittery or is he going to apply some of the nuances of the game (as you stated--looking off receivers) to be more effective? In college he played behind a very poor line. In the pros he has been battered playing behind a makeshift line. If the line play can be improved and he can play with confidence then we might have something.

As you suggested having good coaching and a stable coaching situation makes a major difference. You had a good vantage point at practice and you noticed a critical detail which most of us would never have recognized.

QUOTE (ConradDobler @ Aug 8 2010, 01:28 PM)

B Rob, you have to realize Jeremy has been sent over here from Entercom (Specifically WGR 550) to piss in our collective cornflakes. Look up his history of negative, sarcastic one or two line posts. He is just a pathetic corporate troll.

They better be sending me my paycheck

Game, set & match. Go play tennis with your pal Schopp.

A lot of us have seen it. At MNF against the Cowboys, Trent was already looking at Lee Evans before the snap and watched him throughout his route all the way until DeMarcus Ware tipped it and Terence Newman picked it off. Luckily, the Cowboys threw it right back to us when Romo threw to DiGiorgio but it didn't erase the fact that a serious flaw in Trent's game was exposed. He has a 25-24 TD-INT ratio over his career and he's stared down receivers a lot over the course of his career. Drew Bledsoe got away with it with that rocket arm of his but Trent's arm, although good, is nowhere near Bledsoe's and it's been costly. It's a habit I've seen out of him frequently.

I thought with the new coaching staff this year, that issue was going to leave his game. At the Open Practice this year, instead of staying on the sidelines like most fans, I went to my own endzone seat to get a better view of where Trent was looking...and he was still at it...he was watching Roscoe throughout the pass routes and even before the snap when he threw to him. I couldn't see a whole lot of where he was looking at last Saturday's practice but when I got done working yesterday, I started focusing on Trent during team drills....made some very nice throws. That part wasn't surprising, though....he does have a decent arm with some good accuracy. The part that I didn't believe was that I saw him actually look off safeties...not staring down his receivers. For example, on a nice bomb to Lee where he ran a 9 route down the left sideline, Trent didn't look his way til just before he threw the ball...he was looking over to his right, drawing safety help away from Lee. Whether that play was a case of Lee actually being his last option instead of the primary receiver on that play, I don't know...but Trent was looking away from his intended receiver quite a bit yesterday...a lot more than I've seen from him in his previous 3 years. If he can keep that up when the bullets are flying in a real game, I think he could become a very good QB for us

I have noticed him this year in TC looking off the safeties and LBs. Very nice to see, let's hope he keeps it up.

Really dude.

The Philster is a very good poster over at the Billszone. I can read what the guy was saying. Sorry that his sentence structure was not up to snuff but I enjoyed the post.

This board seems to be eat up with poeple like yourself. Get your post total up and add nothing to the conversation.

Thanks for the post Philster and taking time out of your day to offer a good opinion on this board.

Seconded. I have been here since 2002. There are only a few people here who I can trust with what they post. Philster is one of them.

I am sorry to inform you that since you have yet to master the art of paragraphs I am unable to take your opinion on football seriously.

Dude, it is a message board. If you don't want to read a post, move on.

Good insight Philster, I hope you're right.

The Philster is a very good poster over at the Billszone. I can read what the guy was saying. Sorry that his sentence structure was not up to snuff but I enjoyed the post.

Yeah, Phil is okay. No problem reading what he's saying over here, either.

This board seems to be eat up with poeple like yourself. Get your post total up and add nothing to the conversation.

Unlike Billszone, eh? Hahaha!!!

Seriously though, you do have a point. Not only w/ this thread, but w/ other threads where TBDers are being harASSed by folks who obviously are just trying to earn some sort of reputation. This has caused several posters to either greatly reduce their time on TBD or to leave it altogether. This is also something that the staff has grown tired of and is ready to act on.

Really dude.

Thanks for the post Philster and taking time out of your day to offer a good opinion on this board.

Kudos to Philster on a great post and I'll back Rob up on his comments above.

Come on guys, it is tough enough for us just being Bills fans, can we just go easy on each other?

If you want to make a comment about someone else's writing style can't you be a little more constructive like, "I had a difficult time following your comments, but you made some great points."

Philster, you really hit upon what I think is going to be the biggest hurdle for Edwards to overcome whether he is the starter this year, or not.

Additionally, even if he looks OK right now is his new found skill going to unravel once he faces a pass rush that's really looking to get after him?

I've speculated earlier that the Bills are a 5-11 team this year, but still a better team than last year's 6-10. That being said if you could guarantee to me that Trent's "lock-on" rehab is going to be surefire successful this year I honestly would flirt with the idea of a 7-9 or 8-8 season.

...that's how important I think it is.

A lot of us have seen it. At MNF against the Cowboys, Trent was already looking at Lee Evans before the snap and watched him throughout his route all the way until DeMarcus Ware tipped it and Terence Newman picked it off. Luckily, the Cowboys threw it right back to us when Romo threw to DiGiorgio but it didn't erase the fact that a serious flaw in Trent's game was exposed.

He has a 25-24 TD-INT ratio over his career and he's stared down receivers a lot over the course of his career. Drew Bledsoe got away with it with that rocket arm of his but Trent's arm, although good, is nowhere near Bledsoe's and it's been costly. It's a habit I've seen out of him frequently.

I thought with the new coaching staff this year, that issue was going to leave his game. At the Open Practice this year, instead of staying on the sidelines like most fans, I went to my own endzone seat to get a better view of where Trent was looking...and he was still at it...he was watching Roscoe throughout the pass routes and even before the snap when he threw to him.

I couldn't see a whole lot of where he was looking at last Saturday's practice but when I got done working yesterday, I started focusing on Trent during team drills....made some very nice throws. That part wasn't surprising, though....he does have a decent arm with some good accuracy. The part that I didn't believe was that I saw him actually look off safeties...not staring down his receivers.

For example, on a nice bomb to Lee where he ran a 9 route down the left sideline, Trent didn't look his way til just before he threw the ball...he was looking over to his right, drawing safety help away from Lee. Whether that play was a case of Lee actually being his last option instead of the primary receiver on that play, I don't know...but Trent was looking away from his intended receiver quite a bit yesterday...a lot more than I've seen from him in his previous 3 years. If he can keep that up when the bullets are flying in a real game, I think he could become a very good QB for us

There some incorrectly formatted paragraphs for your reading enjoyment... -sigh-

I'd like to see Trent make the tight coverage throws where the receiver is only open for an instant as well as some throws where he trusts his receiver to make plays.

I think one his biggest problems is that his definition of "open" isn't what it should be for this level.

I'd like to see Trent make the tight coverage throws where the receiver is only open for an instant as well as some throws where he trusts his receiver to make plays.

I think one his biggest problems is that his definition of "open" isn't what it should be for this level.

Very well stated.

Great observations, and thanks Philster for giving us some great insight, for those of us that don't get to see our team developing through practice first hand, we can take all of these great reports we've been getting in and get a pretty decent idea of how things are actually coming along.

Myself personally, the trust that not only Trent Edwards, but also the other 3 QB's have in Chan Gailey and the offense he is installing is going to make all the difference in the world.

Getting back to staring down the WR, staring down the receiver has been a problem for Trent ,but in my opinion its partly to do with the pocket collapsing and TE being flushed out of the pocket constantly. When a QB gets flushed out of his normal routine, he switches over to instincts and has to improvise on the run. I'm not saying its always been the case, but in my opinion the more continuity/protection you get out of the O-line, the better a QB can function, go through reads, and look off safeties properly.

To know that Trent is past staring down the receivers as has been the problem in the past will take actual real game type pressure situations/pass rush in my opinion. It will also take an O-line show of improvement and proper scheming/play calling to set the table properly for a good evaluation.

With that being said, I do have every confidence in the world in Chan Gailey's ability to design a good offense and also in getting his personnel to execute a good offense which only equates to good things for Bills fans and on the Win/ loss column in my opinion.

Chan Gailey is the man...

Heres to blind optimism :unsure: