more on Schobel

Trade or no trade, this is 8 million in Ralphs Wilson's pocket. It is a perfect financial coup. The money saved will go to Spiller who will sell a lot more tickets than Schobel, our only pass rusher. Schobel will get his wish; he will play for another team. Ralph will get his wish; he will make a bigger profit.

What happens to us fans is another story in terms of having even a slight chance of winning 5 or 6 games, but we will survive, because we are the best fans of any team in any sport.

Yawn. I suppose we're going to have to hear your asinine "Spiller was drafted to sell tickets" spiel repeatedly until when? About next january when you start your annual, "the bills are going to draft a first round DB" whining?

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like one of the "we'd should have traded schobel in March" mouth breathers to answer this:

What team is going to trade anything for a 32 year old guy who isn't sure if he's going to play this upcoming season, and thinks there's a good likelihood he'll retire?

And who carries a 4 year, $27.5m contract with an $8m cap hit for this season?

Oh, and he'll be 33 on 9/1.

Other than all those factors, it's a breeze to have traded him in March.

GO BILLS!!!

he'll retire if he has to stay with the bills. He would and his agent would almost certainly be interested in playing in a 4-3 situation especially if it is a winning team. He isn't coming off a major injury and still has quite a bit in the tank. If we were in a 4-3 he'd be our starter. He's worth a draft choice for sure.

A trade was off the table because the guy said he wanted to retire. Who wants to trade for a guy who wants to retire and who has a mind that is elsewhere?

A guy on the verge of retirement with a big salary won't get many takers.

Nix claimed they won't release him, so this report is in direct contradiction with his interview. Link

Nix does not strike me as being a guy who will blatantly mislead the press like that. Not trading Lynch is evidence of that.

I wonder if RW finally said, you know what, 8 million dollars isn't worth proving a point.

Is his salary the reason why a trade is off the table?

This thread is hilarious...I especially love how some negative nancies on here are trying to make it about Ralph being cheap again because they feel they havent spun that broken record enough. This clearly had nothing to do with that, but some of you just cant help yourselves.

I actually think this was a great move by the FO even though I wanted to see Schobel back. This Farve like hostage situation he put us doesnt help us. He had plenty of time to get his mind made up and into camp. Chan is here to make his mark and so is Nix. We have lots of young talent than can fill his spot that are out there putting in the time in the new look defense.

So rather than let this drag on out, the FO made his mind up for him. I have always liked Schobel and I still think he can be a good player for this team, but at the same time this defense needs to move forward. Especially since this is a brand new defense and our guys need as much time in it as possible.

I would expect some interest from some contenders, especially the Texans, for a possible trade at some point if he doesnt stay retired. I seriously doubt we will cut him, especially since Nix said there was no plan to outright cut him.

I just find it funny that so many of the regular negative posters on here want to spin this into something about Ralph being cheap or as evidence this organization is a joke. Because this was the right move and a big statement to the team of the no nonesense approach that Nix and Chan are trying to install. Everyone needs to put the work in and show the commitment or the bus is leaving without them.

Nix makes it clear on Schobel

By Chris Brown - Posted August 2, 2010 – 10:42 am

Bills GM Buddy Nix made it clear regarding Aaron Schobel’s career with the Bills. It’s over.

“He will remain on our Reserve/Did Not Report list until he makes a decision about what he wants to do, whether it’s retire or if he might want to play somewhere else,” said Nix.

If Schobel does want to play elsewhere, the Bills will then begin to explore trade options. It’s clear the Bills will not outright release him.

which means that schobel will either retire or the bills will get something in return via trade - this indicates that there is no other option available for schobel - also either way the 8 million salary the bills will save on will help ease the loss.

I'm glad Nix is making Schobel physically show-up to OBD and give them an answer face-to-face. Releasing him outright would be a mistake.

This is Buddy Nix playing poker, plain and simple. If you think he was every going to let him go, you are crazy. The Bills are in a win-win situation. If Schobel doesn't show up, they don't have to pay him. But if he wants to play, but play somewhere else, you better believe and Nix is going to get something in return.

I'm glad Nix is making Schobel physically show-up to OBD and give them an answer face-to-face. Releasing him outright would be a mistake.

Until Schobel actually reports, as in physically arrives at camp, he is considered "DNR". Despite the hoots from the peanut gallery about what Nix told Schobel he can't shop himself until he is released, and the Bills don't have to release him until the final roster cut-down day, and ONLY if he flies his a$$ up from Texas and actually reports. Until that happens, the Bills hold his rights and don't have to pay him a nickel.

PTR

We do? Who?

Maybin, Ellis, and Carrington have been having some good moments in camp just to name a few. Personally, I wanted Schobel back, but at the same time this is now camp and we are installing a new defense. Our guys need to be out there getting ready for the season, not holding the staff hostage while you continuously waiver on what you want to do.

Personally, I think the play, improvent, and potential of those 3 thus far in camp made the FO more confident about moving on without him. There have been lots of reports that these guys have been getting into the backfield a lot lately and making plays. Schobel will be missed for sure, but at the same time its not like we dont have young talent to develop to replace him.

In all honesty, moving on from Schobel who said he only wanted to play one more season is actually the best move for this team long term. The reason being is that our young guys will get more playing time and a better chance to develop so we know what we have going into next year.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/...to-other-teams/

Another quality player is allowed to talk his way off of the team, and the Bills get nothing in return. I thought those days were over.

thats pretty funny seeing that nix just said they will not cut him and they wont.

do you think nix is stupid,cut him and let the jets or ne pick him up aitnt going to happen.

congrats to Nix he knows his s-it.

if he trades him he will trade him to the texans or he will stay retired!

get your facts straight.

Nix makes it clear on Schobel

By Chris Brown - Posted August 2, 2010 – 10:42 am

Bills GM Buddy Nix made it clear regarding Aaron Schobel’s career with the Bills. It’s over.

“He will remain on our Reserve/Did Not Report list until he makes a decision about what he wants to do, whether it’s retire or if he might want to play somewhere else,” said Nix.

If Schobel does want to play elsewhere, the Bills will then begin to explore trade options. It’s clear the Bills will not outright release him.

which means that schobel will either retire or the bills will get something in return via trade - this indicates that there is no other option available for schobel - also either way the 8 million salary the bills will save on will help ease the loss.

If the Bills don't release him, they will have to pay that $8 million salary,

If the Bills don't release him, they will have to pay that $8 million salary,

That's if he reports. According to the bills.com article I linked this afternoon, AS isn't going to do that to the team. He's retired.

GO BILLS!!!

I'd like one of the "we'd should have traded schobel in March" mouth breathers to answer this:

What team is going to trade anything for a 32 year old guy who isn't sure if he's going to play this upcoming season, and thinks there's a good likelihood he'll retire?

As I wrote, 90% of Schobel's gripes had been with the sorry state of the Bills.

You talk to him about where he might be interested in playing, you speak to those teams, you get the ball-rolling. You get him comfortable playing for another year, you get the team thinking Schobel's open to playing for a number of teams and that 6th rounder won't cut it, etc.

This is how these deals are done. Lots of phone conversations between the team, the agent, other teams, etc.

Or you can just stand around with your fly down with no commitment into August and decide out of the blue to cut the guy and then backtrack and claim you're going to trade him if he doesn't retire.

This thread is hilarious...I especially love how some negative nancies on here are trying to make it about Ralph being cheap again because they feel they havent spun that broken record enough. This clearly had nothing to do with that, but some of you just cant help yourselves.

I actually think this was a great move by the FO even though I wanted to see Schobel back. This Farve like hostage situation he put us doesnt help us. He had plenty of time to get his mind made up and into camp. Chan is here to make his mark and so is Nix. We have lots of young talent than can fill his spot that are out there putting in the time in the new look defense.

So rather than let this drag on out, the FO made his mind up for him. I have always liked Schobel and I still think he can be a good player for this team, but at the same time this defense needs to move forward. Especially since this is a brand new defense and our guys need as much time in it as possible.

I would expect some interest from some contenders, especially the Texans, for a possible trade at some point if he doesnt stay retired. I seriously doubt we will cut him, especially since Nix said there was no plan to outright cut him.

I just find it funny that so many of the regular negative posters on here want to spin this into something about Ralph being cheap or as evidence this organization is a joke. Because this was the right move and a big statement to the team of the no nonesense approach that Nix and Chan are trying to install. Everyone needs to put the work in and show the commitment or the bus is leaving without them.

I thought schobel could've done well in a 3-4 defense--a Bryce Paup type. However, I'm glad Nix forced the issue. Everyone (but Spiller) is in camp busting their ass while Schobel was hoping to come back August 15th-. This sends the team and his lazy Texas a$$ a message. Good job buddy.

As I wrote, 90% of Schobel's gripes had been with the sorry state of the Bills.

You talk to him about where he might be interested in playing, you speak to those teams, you get the ball-rolling. You get him comfortable playing for another year, you get the team thinking Schobel's open to playing for a number of teams and that 6th rounder won't cut it, etc.

This is how these deals are done. Lots of phone conversations between the team, the agent, other teams, etc.

Or you can just stand around with your fly down with no commitment into August and decide out of the blue to cut the guy and then backtrack and claim you're going to trade him if he doesn't retire.

What is so hard to understand here? He's got 4 years and $27.5M remaining on his contract with an $8M payday due this year, he'll be 33 when the season starts, will have missed at least a week, if not 2 before he reports to a new team, and is an undersized 4-3 DE who has never played OLB in a 3-4. There is no market for someone like that.

no they won't, because he would, at the very least, remain on the Reserve/Did Not Report list.

jw

John -- love your work and depend on you for much of my info about the team.

You are correct. But I am suggesting that if Schobel plays hardball and reports the team has no choice but to release him or pay the $8 million.

If Schobel reports, the choices are (a) fulfill your contractual obligation with $2 M roster bonus after physical, and $6 M base salary; (b) transfer contractual obligations to another team via trade; or © relive yourself of contractual obligations by releasing him.

If Schobel decides to play football in 2010 and you believe that it will be impossible to trade a 32 year old due $8 M, you either believe (a) or © will occur.