One of our best defensive players not starting

What do you guys think about the possibility of one of our most experienced and solid defensive players filling in for spot duty? I understand that the characteristics of a 3-4 OLB calls for a good sized pass rushing type that can take on outside blockers, but I can't beleive the coaching staff could keep Kawika Mitchell on the bench besides for situational sets and filling in for poz and davis. They don't have a good candidate for the role and it will most likely be a huge sacrifice of athleticism to go for kelsay or schobel, who now is doubting his retirement. Mitchell is experienced as OLB in the 4-3 and granted its a very different role but the guy has good size, is physical, and blitzes better than many LB's I've seen, which would be a huge part of this role. I don't see how he doesn't play beside "not fitting the prototype"...and we all know how that has worked for many NFL greats.

OLB- Maybin and Mitchell

ILB- Poz and Davis

imo the best starting lb combo we have. If Mitchell is healthy enough that is.

This is what I'm hoping for, I would just hate to see them field some left over 4-3 DE in this spot to try to match a prototype, I think mitchell can handle it well and we won't need him in the middle due to the Andra signing who I can't wait to see.

After the draft I said Mitchell would be cut and Stroud could be as well although it's starting to look like he may stick

Poz and Davis will be the starting ILB's

Who would you have play OLB? I love what I hear about the rookies we've brought in regarding their ethic and toughness but I don't think we'll start one of them and I think kelsay or shobel will be absolutely exposed as still down linemen.

What do you guys think about the possibility of one of our most experienced and solid defensive players filling in for spot duty? I understand that the characteristics of a 3-4 OLB calls for a good sized pass rushing type that can take on outside blockers, but I can't beleive the coaching staff could keep Kawika Mitchell on the bench besides for situational sets and filling in for poz and davis. They don't have a good candidate for the role and it will most likely be a huge sacrifice of athleticism to go for kelsay or schobel, who now is doubting his retirement. Mitchell is experienced as OLB in the 4-3 and granted its a very different role but the guy has good size, is physical, and blitzes better than many LB's I've seen, which would be a huge part of this role. I don't see how he doesn't play beside "not fitting the prototype"...and we all know how that has worked for many NFL greats.

Mitchell won't be getting cut, as some on this board seem to think. However, Kelsay and Schobel won't be getting cut either, and they have to switch to OLB's. (I hope Schobel does come back and at least tries to play this new position). Your idea will most likely be more realistic if Schobel does decide to call it a career, but if he does return, he will get first shot at starting at one of the OLB spots, and Kelsay will get first shot at starting at the other one, in a heated battle with Maybin.

Let's not forget that Poz gets injured every season, at least for a few games, and the Bills will need a player like Mitchell to back up the ILB position even if he doesn't start over Davis.

After the draft I said Mitchell would be cut and Stroud could be as well although it's starting to look like he may stick

Poz and Davis will be the starting ILB's

Stroud and Mitchell won't be getting cut this season. In this first year switching to the 3-4, both veterans will be needed to help the younger guys make the adjustments, and of course Stroud is being counted on as one of the starting DE's, across from Edwards, with Williams or Troup in the middle. Plus, George Edwards and Gailey have both stated that there will still be some 4-3 looks which will make Stroud even more valuable.

OLB- Maybin and Mitchell

ILB- Poz and Davis

Aint going to happen. Schobel shows up to camp just prior to first Pre-Season game and starts at OLB opposite Maybin.

If the rookie LB's perform well(especially on ST's as Mitchell won't be asked to do that) Mitchell may be a surprise early cut to give the veteran a chance to sign elsewhere.

His best chance to stick is the fact Ellison sucks and can only play OLB. Hopefully he finally gets cut and Mitchell serves as veteran back-up for both ILB and OLB.

Aint going to happen. Schobel shows up to camp just prior to first Pre-Season game and starts at OLB opposite Maybin.

If the rookie LB's perform well(especially on ST's as Mitchell won't be asked to do that) Mitchell may be a surprise early cut to give the veteran a chance to sign elsewhere.

His best chance to stick is the fact Ellison sucks and can only play OLB. Hopefully he finally gets cut and Mitchell serves as veteran back-up for both ILB and OLB.

Guess we don't exactly have a stellar core of linebackers either....It's gonna be a long season guys.

+1

OLB- Maybin and Mitchell

ILB- Poz and Davis

What makes you or anyone think that Maybin is going to be starting? He hasn't shown anything whatsoever yet. If Battan, Ellis, Torbor, Kelsay, Schobel, or even Coleman play better, than Maybin is on the bench or maybe even gets cut. (That would be funny and pathetic at the same time) Remember Gailey said that the best players will play. I am going to believe that until I see otherwise.

Why do so many people out here think that Kawika Mitchell may be a "surprise" cut?? Has Andra Davis won a SB ring as a starting LB in his career as Mitchell did filling in extremely well almost the entire season the Giants won it all due to injuries in their LB corps in '07?....of course not! Andra may be a better ILB then Mitchell, fine. But with so little depth at ILB on this roster, how could Gailey decide to cut Mitchell instead of one of the younger guys, even if Kawika does not win the starting ILB job instead of Davis?????

If Mitchell does get cut as so many are predicting, nobody will be more surprised then me, and he won't last 1 hour on the waiver wire! :blink:

Gailey wants to win with the team he has. I suspect if Mitchell performs better in the 3-4 than other linebackers, you'll see him start. Its not like we have sure fire pro-bowlers ahead of him and in at least two or three cases we have people who have never played linebacker. If Mitchell recovers from his injury and plays with the spirit he has shown, he'll get his chance over time.

I was thinking the one OLB spot is not so different in 3-4 vs the 4-3. Maybe he is no longer one of the best if he can't be one of the first four LB's on the field, but I am surprised too that they didn't put him down as a starting OLB... The Tarbor pickup signaled to me that perhaps Mitchell was not thought to be a starter in this scheme by the new staff.

When I read the title of the thread I thought it was going to be about George Wilson? I think if Mitchell doesn't start, and that isn't decided yet, he will play just as much as the others, which is a good thing to have sufficient good LBs for a change to rotate.

it will be Mitchell and Poz in the middle.

no, because of the fact that Andra has made most of the defensive calls in the OTAs and minicamps. While Mitchell and Poz have been given that role at times, Gailey made it clear that he wanted more than 1 ILB to know how. That tells me Davis has the ILB starting position and will make the defensive calls in September, unless he's injured. Poz will start next to him.

Andra and Poz!

yes, for the reasons above...

OLB- Maybin and Mitchell

ILB- Poz and Davis

the problem with your combination is that Mitchell hasn't taken snaps (or certainly not many) as an OLB so far.

What makes you or anyone think that Maybin is going to be starting? He hasn't shown anything whatsoever yet. If Battan, Ellis, Torbor, Kelsay, Schobel, or even Coleman play better, than Maybin is on the bench or maybe even gets cut. (That would be funny and pathetic at the same time) Remember Gailey said that the best players will play. I am going to believe that until I see otherwise.

because he has consistently practiced with the 1s up till now. Obviously that could change during TC and preseason, but for now, depending on the Schoebel situation, he's likely to start at OLB with (IMO) Torbor, or maybe Kelsay.

This. Maybin will have to earn it. Chan/Buddy aren't going to be bound by the prior regime's draft decisions.

I thought you were talking about K Williams and G Wilson. And yes, I am completely ok with an average LB coming back from major knee surgery not starting,.

like chill OUT, dawgzzzz...

Veek sux against the run, Android sux against the pass(more or less). so we flip them in and out. big freakin' deal ? now flip it over: Davis ROX against the run, and Mitchell does against the pass. that way, we have a good LB in there at all times. Poz kyna does both pretty well, from the evaluations i've studied. Davis "starts", as long as we think the opposition might run on 1st down.

Mitchell is no star.. until some team is stuck and has to throw against him, heh hehh. i live for moments like that- or when they try to run it up the gut on 3rd, past Davis. then all the morons scream "like, OMG.. he should be in there like, every down man, i mean, come ONNN". lol

can u say "sit-shoe-way-shun-null sub-stit-too-shun ?"

shur.. ah knewya could.

ROFL

i just crack me up.

.. "but.. wernt u already like, 'cracked'...?"

shhhhhhhhhhhh !

~AS

Mitchell is one of our "best defensive players"?

Uh oh.

You're still just mad because he absolutely flattened your hero, Tommy Boy, on a delayed blitz in that Super Bowl thumping at the hands of the G-Men (I never, ever tire of rewatching that game).....

Its called depth... Mitchel will be one of the backups at MLB and OLB. Odds are even if there are no injuries to Poz and Davis (Both of which have injury issues) he will still likely get rotated in at OLB and MLB and in our 4-3 looks (Every 3-4 team plays 4-3 a little).